Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Looking forward to Kurtzman et al seeing that Lower Decks is popular, and then learning all the wrong lessons about why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drone posted:

Looking forward to Kurtzman et al seeing that Lower Decks is popular, and then learning all the wrong lessons about why.

Michael isn't manic enough

Tilly isn't random enough

Not enough swearing

Evil looking Starfleet ships +++

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
”More cubes!!”

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

*taking notes*

genetic... dog... monster...

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

episode moodboard

https://twitter.com/theotherwillis/status/1306629447982829569?s=21

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The transporter noise on the bridge was the best part of the gag.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

If you would like to quote this post!

If you already have three gang tags, tell me which one you'd like to lose. If you don't want to lose any proceed w/ your own caution. The limit of gang tags is nebulous and you may get them axed by another mod or admin if they find your av/tag/text combo too excessive.

If you want your current tags rearranged or your text changed, I can do that as well.

I apologize ahead of time for the spam this might cause. It's just easier for me to organize and make sure I don't miss anybody! Feel free to quote me in your regular-rear end discussion posts if you were already going to say smth so we can keep this at least kind of neat.

thx in advance

Yes please!

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

"Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

Hell Gem
Thanks for the tag, esperterra!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

esperterra posted:

After careful consideration, I think I would like to have this gang tag. Thank you very much and have a good weekend.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's extremely amusing scrolling this thread now, so many simultaneous animations

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Awful app needs to support gang tags in threads.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

So is it just me, or is Captain Freeman genuinely bad at being a captain? She directly causes the main conflict in "Temporal Edict" by implementing a new work schedule that runs the crew ragged, and I'd argue she dragged out the confrontation with the pirates in "Terminal Provocations" by continually trying to negotiate with them rather than shoot back, which they seemed to take as an admission of weakness. She's also been shown to be deeply insecure about her position and reputation as captain; the whole reason she introduced the new schedule in "Temporal Edict" was because she was pissed about having been bumped from the peace conference on Cardassia Prime, and there was also that touch of rivalry with Captain Durango in "Moist Vessel". Even her handling of Mariner in that episode raises questions; she comes up with circuitous plans to compel Mariner to transfer off the Cerritos instead of simply transferring Mariner off herself, something that would be wholly in her power as captain to do. Even in this episode she was making way more of her black-ops horticulture mission than Ramsey seemed to feel it was worth.

At this point, I'm wondering if Freeman is someone who had always desperately wanted to be a captain, but was temperamentally better suited as a department head or maybe a first officer. Under normal circumstances her career would have stalled out in the middle ranks, but with the Dominion War and Starfleet's need to put more asses in center seats she got the Cerritos and was shunted off to do the sort of dull meat-and-potatoes missions that keep the Federation running that Starfleet assigns to all its newbie captains. However, while most newbies do a tour or two on a California or a Miranda or a Saber before moving on to bigger and better things, Freeman is stuck running the Cerritos, unsatisfied but not knowing why or what to do about it. (Figuring out ages in Trek, especially animated Trek, is a mug's game, but Freeman seems to be older than any other main series captain we've seen save Picard, and she still seems to be making rookie mistakes.)

Mind you, if this is intentional, I think it's an interesting dynamic. Freeman isn't a very good captain, but the crew is competent and capable enough to compensate and keep the ship running, and it makes her relationship with Mariner more complicated. Does she want Mariner to succeed to uphold the family name, or is it a way to live through Mariner and forget about her own inadequacies?

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 20, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh yeah she's a not good captain because of her issues. I think it's clearly shown that she can be a good captain - look at the episode with the moon - but she's often very bad and just about every time it's because of her own neuroses.

Like mother like daughter, I guess? I assume it's intentional that both of them are more alike than either would want to admit, they're both short-circuiting their own potential with their problems.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Every trek series clearly tells the viewer that a fair number of captains and most admirals are terrible

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lower Decks is at core an office comedy. The jokes come from characters being intermittently bad then good at their jobs.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
The humour comes from the fact that them being bad at being people interferes with them being good at being Starfleet officers.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Oh yeah she's a not good captain because of her issues. I think it's clearly shown that she can be a good captain - look at the episode with the moon - but she's often very bad and just about every time it's because of her own neuroses.

Like mother like daughter, I guess? I assume it's intentional that both of them are more alike than either would want to admit, they're both short-circuiting their own potential with their problems.

After watching "Moist Vessel" I found myself thinking that it honestly would be better for the both of them if Mariner was transferred off the ship, since they seem to have this whole unhealthy codependency. On the other hand, I don't think Mariner entirely understands how much latitude she's been granted by being under her mom's command. After that Jellico quip in last week's episode, I found myself thinking that if she ended up on the Cairo, she might last a week before Jellico hands her her discharge papers.

The Bloop posted:

Every trek series clearly tells the viewer that a fair number of captains and most admirals are terrible
True, but this is first time the captain of the series flagship has been intentionally depicted as incompetent!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Marshal Radisic posted:

After watching "Moist Vessel" I found myself thinking that it honestly would be better for the both of them if Mariner was transferred off the ship, since they seem to have this whole unhealthy codependency. On the other hand, I don't think Mariner entirely understands how much latitude she's been granted by being under her mom's command. After that Jellico quip in last week's episode, I found myself thinking that if she ended up on the Cairo, she might last a week before Jellico hands her her discharge papers.

Well her backstory is that she's served on a bunch of ships, caused problems, got busted down and this assignment is her mum pulling strings to give her a last chance, but yeah, it's also incredibly unhealthy.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

If you already have three gang tags, tell me which one you'd like to lose. If you don't want to lose any proceed w/ your own caution. The limit of gang tags is nebulous and you may get them axed by another mod or admin if they find your av/tag/text combo too excessive.

If you want your current tags rearranged or your text changed, I can do that as well.

I apologize ahead of time for the spam this might cause. It's just easier for me to organize and make sure I don't miss anybody! Feel free to quote me in your regular-rear end discussion posts if you were already going to say smth so we can keep this at least kind of neat.

thx in advance

I'm down

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

As soon as I saw the weird black spec-ops uniforms I laughed

The end of the episode was also basically the end of Encounter at Farpoint

I'm amazed that this show hasn't turned out a dud yet

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

thx in advance

This looks like fun.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

That was a good Lower Decks. Got like 8 good laughs outta me and was well written. More please!

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

Bij me up!

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe
re: this week's Lower Decks, I feel like everybody's sleeping on what I thought was the best gag on the show yet:

It's so nice they get the chance to relax. :3:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't even register the bikini. It just seemed like the design of the chair at the time.

lmbo

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

I would definitely like to experience Bij!

MikeJF posted:

Well her backstory is that she's served on a bunch of ships, caused problems, got busted down and this assignment is her mum pulling strings to give her a last chance, but yeah, it's also incredibly unhealthy.

In current-day militaries, are you allowed to be in the direct chain of command of your immediate family? Seems like that would be a bad idea all around. I seem to recall something like the US Navy no longer allows siblings to serve on the same ship at the same time. Does that apply to parents/children?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Correnth posted:

re: this week's Lower Decks, I feel like everybody's sleeping on what I thought was the best gag on the show yet:

oh my god, I didn't even notice the middle one is a bikini. I only noticed the hawaiian shirts.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Arrinien posted:

I would definitely like to experience Bij!

In current-day militaries, are you allowed to be in the direct chain of command of your immediate family? Seems like that would be a bad idea all around. I seem to recall something like the US Navy no longer allows siblings to serve on the same ship at the same time. Does that apply to parents/children?

It seems like the kind of thing Starfleet shouldn’t even allow, given that one of the tests just to make Commander is based on your willingness to order someone you know to their death.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

thx in advance

q'apla

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arrinien posted:

If memory serves, all the branches of the United States military have some variation of the "sole survivor" policy, but it only refers to protecting siblings (think Saving Private Ryan), not parent / children relationships.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Bloop posted:

I didn't even register the bikini. It just seemed like the design of the chair at the time.

lmbo

:same:

Oh god, that’s great.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

thx in advance

Assuming I'm not too late for bij

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

gna bij all over your face

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Arrinien posted:

In current-day militaries, are you allowed to be in the direct chain of command of your immediate family?

Are you really in the chain of command if you subvert any order you don't feel like following?

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

thx in advance

ooh! please!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

So I finally sat down to actually watch Lower Decks and Jesus it's pretty funny.

I don't know why, but I just lost it at that last line of Mariner's from the pilot where she talks about Troi's jumpsuit before the Cerritos flies off screen.

It's these little smart dumb moments that make the show pop for me, I think.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I love The Dog. This is becoming a genuinely great show.

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

Yes please!

Tony Sorete
Jun 19, 2011

Manager de rock

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

I'm a petaQ lurker so I must travel the river of blood

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Correnth posted:

I adore this show. CBS got a bunch of funny nerds who love all of Trek together and gave them a budget, and it turned out perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/startrekcbs/status/1308496291899604994