Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Arc Light posted:

Gotta admit, I got a real chuckle out of Mariner's increasingly angry delivery of "We'll all end up getting kicked off the ship, and then we'll have to live on Earth, where there's nothing to do except drink wine and hang out at vineyards and soul food restaurants!"

It was a creole restaurant, not a soul food restaurant, damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh hey, a wacky clipshow episode. This show really does want to be Rick And Morty lite.

Arc Light posted:

Gotta admit, I got a real chuckle out of Mariner's increasingly angry delivery of "We'll all end up getting kicked off the ship, and then we'll have to live on Earth, where there's nothing to do except drink wine and hang out at vineyards and soul food restaurants!"

They finally explained why she won't leave Starfleet even though she clearly hates it 95% of the time and it's a Picard joke :v:

Phylodox posted:

Boimler literally says the name of an episode as he drops the ceremonial horn. He shouts “Drumhead!” which is the name of one of the more we’ll-known episodes of Next Generation. And it was hilarious.

Gotta admit that got a laugh out of me.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Oh hey, a wacky clipshow episode. This show really does want to be Rick And Morty lite.

They finally explained why she won't leave Starfleet even though she clearly hates it 95% of the time and it's a Picard joke :v:

Gotta admit that got a laugh out of me.

They keep pushing Mariner's character towards someone who doesn't necessarily hate Starfleet, but she definitely hates Star Trek. It's a really weird choice for someone in a show partially meant to introduce a younger audience to the larger brand. Boimler, who likes Starfleet and Star Trek, is also seen as the boring stick in the mud. It's truly a bizarre choice.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Super Deuce posted:

They keep pushing Mariner's character towards someone who doesn't necessarily hate Starfleet, but she definitely hates Star Trek. It's a really weird choice for someone in a show partially meant to introduce a younger audience to the larger brand. Boimler, who likes Starfleet and Star Trek, is also seen as the boring stick in the mud. It's truly a bizarre choice.

I get the exact opposite impression of Mariner. She loves Star trek but hates starfleet. Getting into a bar fight with a Klingon? He'll yeah. Making sure a Klingon makes it to a conference sober? gently caress that. Save the crew of a doomed starship? You bet. Kiss up to the rank? Nope.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Super Deuce posted:

The first Episode seemed to be pushing a show that's about Boimler's humerous journey from being a neurotic lower decker to achieving his dream of becoming a senior officer, which I thought was a fantastic premise and entirely a star trek vibe. Then from about episode 3 it became about how Mariner is awesome. In this episode we finally came full circle and had Boimler (under Mariner's influence) say that he doesn't like the senior officers and how they act.

The show is harvesting laughs by doing things as inane as referencing Episode titles, while sneering a bit at the ideals of what made good star trek.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

It's almost as if the episode title was a reference to a real concept, and that concept applied when the title was referenced.

Like I get a lot of people are turned off by the random name-drops (myself included to an extent). But that line would have made 100% sense even if it wasn't an in-joke about a TNG episode title.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Snow Cone Capone posted:

It's almost as if the episode title was a reference to a real concept, and that concept applied when the title was referenced.

Like I get a lot of people are turned off by the random name-drops (myself included to an extent). But that line would have made 100% sense even if it wasn't an in-joke about a TNG episode title.

What was yelling about Khan being a Space Seed for?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Super Deuce posted:

What was yelling about Khan being a Space Seed for?

I'm not sure, but that's not what I was referring to and you know it. Cut it out with the loving gotchas dude, I literally mentioned in the same post that I am among the people turned off by some of the real non-sequitur namedrops.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm not sure, but that's not what I was referring to and you know it. Cut it out with the loving gotchas dude, I literally mentioned in the same post that I am among the people turned off by some of the real non-sequitur namedrops.

I know it wasn't. I'm asking why we're excusing one instance of it as acceptable when they did the same thing in a completely nonsensical way before it.

It's not a gotcha. It's a genuine example of something the show did. Saying Drumhead wasn't because he's talking about it being a drumhead trial. He said it to wink at people who know it's the name of an episode.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Super Deuce posted:

I know it wasn't. I'm asking why we're excusing one instance of it as acceptable when they did the same thing in a completely nonsensical way before it.

Nobody is though? I'm not sure what part of "some of the references fall flat but this one worked in my opinion BECAUSE _____" is hard for you to understand.

Super Deuce posted:

It's not a gotcha. It's a genuine example of something the show did. Saying Drumhead wasn't because he's talking about it being a drumhead trial. He said it to wink at people who know it's the name of an episode.

Except, like I just explained, this specific joke worked because it is both a wink at people who know it's the name of an episode, and a relevant reference to the fact that they were being subjected to, in Boimler's opinion, an actual drumhead trial.

I gotta say man, at this point I sincerely believe you are being deliberately obtuse about this.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

DaveKap posted:

Latest ep of Lower Decks was on point. And if you had an eagle eye you would've seen the balloon out the front door in the first shot and been suspect of the entire trial.

Also John De Lancie is back as Q. Q officially bothers the crew of the Cerritos. This is now canon and real and his episode that stars him will be the best in the entire show. I look forward to it as much as I look forward to the next episode making fun of JJ Trek.

3 big guffaws and a dozen other laughs. Just fantastic.

It was ridiculous and clever. Every time Rutherford rebooted in another random situation made me laugh. "Gorn wedding?!"

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Nobody is though? I'm not sure what part of "some of the references fall flat but this one worked in my opinion BECAUSE _____" is hard for you to understand.

Except, like I just explained, this specific joke worked because it is both a wink at people who know it's the name of an episode, and a relevant reference to the fact that they were being subjected to, in Boimler's opinion, an actual drumhead trial.

I gotta say man, at this point I sincerely believe you are being deliberately obtuse about this.

Saying it's a joke to say Drumhead at the end of a speech is excusing it. It's precisely the same thing. And the point here is that they showed us in the episode they're just naming things for the sake of it. Why would we think an example of that very thing later is anything more than what it has been for 8 straight episodes?

There's nothing obtuse about it from this perspective. I'm fully aware of what they're doing. Same thing with the blast shield thing, or the double fist punch thing. Announcing what we're seeing isn't a joke. It's solely a wink.

Saying Drumhead is the same as saying Space Seed. Space Seed was just as relevant to say in the context it was as Drumhead was later.

Like I said initially, what was yelling about Khan being a Space Seed for? If saying Drumhead at the end of a speech is a joke because it's also the name of an episode, what is the joke about yelling Space Seed?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Super Deuce posted:

Saying it's a joke to say Drumhead at the end of a speech is excusing it. It's precisely the same thing. And the point here is that they showed us in the episode they're just naming things for the sake of it. Why would we think an example of that very thing later is anything more than what it has been for 8 straight episodes?

There's nothing obtuse about it from this perspective. I'm fully aware of what they're doing. Same thing with the blast shield thing, or the double fist punch thing. Announcing what we're seeing isn't a joke. It's solely a wink.

Saying Drumhead is the same as saying Space Seed. Space Seed was just as relevant to say in the context it was as Drumhead was later.

Like I said initially, what was yelling about Khan being a Space Seed for? If saying Drumhead at the end of a speech is a joke because it's also the name of an episode, what is the joke about yelling Space Seed?

alright man I explained myself repeatedly and you're going in circles, I'm out of this argument.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’m worried we’re spinning into a thing again.

Some people like it.

Some people don’t.

If you like it, cool!

If you don’t, cool!

It turns out the Bij we experienced were the arguments we had along the way.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Snow Cone Capone posted:

alright man I explained myself repeatedly and you're going in circles, I'm out of this argument.

I'm not arguing with you, man. I'm talking about the show with people that have other perspectives of the show. Not agreeing with you doesn't mean it's an argument.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Another solid Trek alumnus in that ep was Kurtwood Smith as Clar.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The middle Q gag was decent and the ridiculous game set-up was hilarious, but the best bit was the end gag where they just tell Q to gently caress off because it's been a long day, because I've been wanting that scene for a while.

Hey in the starbase shot

I think that's one of the Utopia Planitia tugs we saw in Picard that pulls around trains between its nacelles.

Aces High posted:

as was said before about making references to Enterprise shenanigans, now I'm getting a little frustrated that that's all they seem to be doing when it comes referencing other celebrity crews.

They seem to be explicitly trying to sell the point that the Enterprise crew specifically are minor celebs in Starfleet because they're the flagship and peak of starfleet and they have so many ridiculous adventures, and that everyone follows them and their weekly shenanigans. Which makes sense, it's already well established Enterprises are legendary.

piratepilates posted:

That giant starbase that showed up for a split second in an establishing shot was so nicely drawn.

So were the Romulan Warbirds. The way that their current art style means that for incidental ships and shots they draw them with classic 2D instead of everything being Futurama-style 3D cell shaded is actually really working for me, they often do it with a really nice bit of extra style.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 25, 2020

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I never actually watched that episode, but - because I'm in the military - I'm familiar with the concept of a drumhead court martial, so I didn't realize it was a TNG joke until y'all commented on it.

Either way, it was good.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Ever since the "please clap" reference I'm pretty sure it's a bit.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Arquinsiel posted:

No that was just mocking the culture of fan service in media. It’s basically a tv show asking you to clap.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I do feel like the first Q joke would've played even better if they'd cut it at the first shot of all of them on the chessboard going WAIT WHAT HUH drat YOU Q after they appear. A two second gag so quick it takes you by surprise.

E: Basically just this

https://i.imgur.com/BCRzH7w.mp4

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 25, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

MikeJF posted:

I do feel like the first Q joke would've played even better if they'd cut it at the first shot of all of them on the chessboard going WAIT WHAT HUH drat YOU Q after they appear. A two second gag so quick it takes you by surprise.

That or developed into a whole plot/scene in a different episode. I wanted more of it than a flashback could allow.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Martytoof posted:

That or developed into a whole plot/scene in a different episode. I wanted more of it than a flashback could allow.

Then we could have watched a lot of Q references, and I bet some Move Along Home ones, too.

Q's voice on a creepy little girl saying "Allamaraine, third shap" and people would laugh and laugh. Or something.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Super Deuce posted:

Then we could have watched a lot of Q references, and I bet some Move Along Home ones, too.

Q's voice on a creepy little girl saying "Allamaraine, third shap" and people would laugh and laugh. Or something.

lol, and people say there's no combinatory value to humor.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Huh. Apparently there’s reports of season 4 of Disco already filming.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

HD DAD posted:

Disco is always being filmed due to TEMPORAL FLUXUATIONS.

Season 7 just finished filming three years ago!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's a Picard reference.

Arc Light posted:

I'm familiar with the concept of a drumhead court martial, so I didn't realize it was a TNG joke until y'all commented on it.
It wasn't. It was a TNG reference. References, on their own, are not jokes. The writers of this show really don't seem to understand that. You can use a reference as part of a joke, but literally just using a word that was an episode title in a context where it also makes sense on its own is not a joke. At best, it's an easter egg.

MikeJF posted:

Yep. That clip, on its own, is amusing. But then they just keep hammering it so it goes from being an amusingly exaggerated version of Q to making you wonder if they've even seen any of the episodes he's in or they're just working from second-hand reports.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Oh my god who gives a gently caress about references.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

Gonz posted:

Disco is always being filmed due to TEMPORAL FLUXUATIONS.

Season 7 just finished filming three years ago!

Is this like the antipode to those Discovery Had Been Canceled bullshit rumours that crop up ever three months? It truly is Schrodinger's Star Trek show--always filming and always cancelled at the exact same time.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

nine-gear crow posted:

Is this like the antipode to those Discovery Had Been Canceled bullshit rumours that crop up ever three months? It truly is Schrodinger's Star Trek show--always filming and always cancelled at the exact same time.

I just checked up and apparently it’s been renewed through season 5, which I guess I missed.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

socialsecurity posted:

Tamarians

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

I just checked up and apparently it’s been renewed through season 5, which I guess I missed.

They're just trying to hide the fact that Star Trek is DEAD, don't you see?! The franchise is in a tailspin towards DESTRUCTION! That's why they... keep renewing all the shows and greenlighting new ones. It's the perfect cover! My sources at CBS have confirmed it! :tinfoil:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HD DAD posted:

Wasn't there something about seasons 3 and 4 filming back-to-back for some stuff?

socialsecurity posted:

The Joke Police, apparently?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

They're spending all this money on making new three other new Star Trek shows besides the three that exist and are getting new seasons because their Star Trek shows are doing so poorly!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also I just want to say I'm both amused and horrified that there's a human male version of T'Ana out there and it has NOTHING to do with alternate universe shenanigans :stare:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Mosquito Boimler is also turbo hosed up. Who the hell let that guy into Starfleet?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Something about Ransom's design has unsettled me from the start, and I've realised: it's his chin. No matter what angle he's seen from, it always points away from camera. Dude's a walking spatial anomaly.

Also, is he related to Rudy "shovellin' aliens into my warp core" Ransom from Voyager?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Payndz posted:

Something about Ransom's design has unsettled me from the start, and I've realised: it's his chin. No matter what angle he's seen from, it always points away from camera. Dude's a walking spatial anomaly.

Also, is he related to Rudy "shovellin' aliens into my warp core" Ransom from Voyager?

There's been no straight confirmation yet, but the name definitely implies.