Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
Imma be honest, I really didn't like Seven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Strong Convections posted:

You think a show which has so far been pretty respectful toward its female characters needs more tits in it.
Funny that you think that the worst series is the one with the female captain when there's the choices of "boringest series ever", "gratuitous eyeball extraction" and "murderous messiah complex" on the table.

Even without the reptile transformation, the concept of warp 10 - being everywhere in the universe simultaneously - is a worse idea.

OK, What the gently caress

You need to loving check yourself and maybe read when you aren't high before you come at me with those accusations.

I wrote PAGES itt about why there shouldn't be tits and "fucks" and rape and torture in star trek. I love Kate Mulgrew and think she dad a fantastic job with what they gave her to work with.

And the loving thing you quoted to yell at me about says PREVIOUSLY worst series

You can think I'm an rear end in a top hat or an idiot but accusing people of misogyny and poo poo in 2020 needs receipts you can't produce

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Another thing to remember about Earth is that almost all of the humans involved in running both the federation and Starfleet went poof at once. Leaders, engineers, scientists - all gone, and chaos everywhere while whoever was left tried picking up the pieces. Almost all of the people left on Earth were those who weren’t interested in participating in the federation project, and it was mentioned on screen that many people suspected it was some kind of attack anyway, so it’s unsurprising they went in a different direction when rebuilding.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Just saw this weeks episode and first few minutes gave me the happy of god, I want to be hugged by Doug Jones. The way he physically showed care for Burnham was precious, at least to me.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You know, given the way that the Federation-Klingon alliance became such an incredibly important and unlikely tight relationship (changeling snafu aside) by the 24th century, it'd be a really nice epilogue to the season one plot if Discovery ends up finding out that some of the ones who are keeping the flame alive and still holding the most faith in Starfleet and the idea of the Federation are actually the Klingons by this point in history.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 30, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

You know, given the way that the Federation-Klingon alliance became such an incredibly important and unlikely tight relationship (changeling snafu aside) by the 24th century, it'd be a really nice epilogue to the season one plot if Discovery ends up finding out that some of the ones who are keeping the flame alive and still holding the most faith in Starfleet and the idea of the Federation are actually the Klingons by this point in history.

This sort of thing would be awesome and redeem an awful lot

I don't really want to see the disco klingon designs any more, though

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

If they bring Klingons back it's 100% going to be in the context of the time monks on Boreth and I really, really don't want that

e: TIL though that the monastery on Boreth was mentioned in both TNG and DS9, not that it makes the Disco version any less boring and dumb

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Iymarra posted:

Just saw this weeks episode and first few minutes gave me the happy of god, I want to be hugged by Doug Jones. The way he physically showed care for Burnham was precious, at least to me.
From what a friend of mine says he is ridiculously nice IRL.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, Doug Jones is apparently notorious for being just one of the best dudes all-around. That’s awesome for someone who has made a career out of playing freaky monsters.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I will again recommend listening to Doug Jones on Wait Wait last week: https://www.npr.org/2020/10/24/926938694/not-my-job-we-quiz-shape-of-water-star-doug-jones-on-frozen-sculptures

That's just his bit but also the actor that plays Rutherford on Lower Decks is a panelist for the whole show

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

MikeJF posted:

The Vulcans loving off with the romulans and the Klingons keeping alive the noble ideals of the federation would be A+ in my book.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I love Doug Jones, my one very minor nitpick is that he has an extremely similar movement style across all his roles. Like, even with the fact that he had a starring role in Hellboy II, he was instantly identifiable in 2 other roles during the movie as well.

Same with his 2 roles in Pan's Labyrinth, although that was likely a deliberate decision.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Hey, cant stop and help you guys and upgrade our ship with near 1000 year future tech, gotta go!

And I'm crying because my family is no longer alive. Time to go to a tree and pose with the rest of the bridge crew instead of find out where my descendants are, what happened to our homes, learn future tech, history, or anything important to survive.

Must have been funny for the owners of the old Starfleet HQ. Being asked to allow several people to access your land and watch them just go and hug a tree.

One time my dad took me and my brothers to the town he grew up in and we drove by his old house. He went and knocked on the door to ask if he could, like, show us the backyard or something he was telling us a story about and they said no.

The Bloop posted:

This sort of thing would be awesome and redeem an awful lot

I don't really want to see the disco klingon designs any more, though

Agreed, bring back the original designs and let's never mention the others.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Discovery shoulda picked up a dilithium recrystallizer imo

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Did anyone else think Doug Jones' prosthetic seemed weird for this episode? Maybe I just haven't seen him speak in a while, but it seemed like the mouth part of his prosthetic wasn't working well.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Did anyone else think Doug Jones' prosthetic seemed weird for this episode? Maybe I just haven't seen him speak in a while, but it seemed like the mouth part of his prosthetic wasn't working well.

Saru has a cold

I am annoyed that the Earth lady called him SAru instead of saRU

They did this on that radio interview too and that was mildly annoying but... that's not in the drat show

Same thing happened all the time with Bajor. Occasionally someone would say BayJOUR... why not correct the actor?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Cojawfee posted:

His mouth has always looked like a mouth-within-a-mouth as far as I can tell. Maybe you noticed because he had more close-ups this episode?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
It seems like we're getting conflicting messages on the value of Earth isolationism when San Francisco looks fine but the defense force is sweating raids from distant moon scrubs.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Distant Moon Scrubs is my space pirate company name

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It is funny that Earth is freaking out because alien raiders are attacking them and it turns out that no one in the galaxy cares about Earth and it's just some dudes down the street.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Bloop posted:

Saru has a cold

I am annoyed that the Earth lady called him SAru instead of saRU

They did this on that radio interview too and that was mildly annoying but... that's not in the drat show

Same thing happened all the time with Bajor. Occasionally someone would say BayJOUR... why not correct the actor?

There's an episode of DS9 where nobody says the word "terran" the same way twice. Even the same actors will say it in a different way in the same scene. Tear ON Terrin Ter Ron Tayeron Terr An Tore N Tee Ron Bing Bong

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I like that Ferengi intentionally say "human" wrong.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Cojawfee posted:

It is funny that Earth is freaking out because alien raiders are attacking them and it turns out that no one in the galaxy cares about Earth and it's just some dudes down the street.

Add in the fact that the "alien raiders" are just put-upon foreign workers who were exploited and then cast aside and you've basically got US foreign policy 101.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

I like that Ferengi intentionally say "human" wrong.

probably but either way that is funny and maybe it's an accent or whatever but it's consistent

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Next week’s episode looks really good. I’m phone posting, but judging by the preview clip and the sneak peak released, it seems the A-plot will be Michael and Adira visiting Trill and seeing if they can awaken her memories, and the B-plot appears to be Culber trying to figure out ways to treat the crew’s distress of being stranded. From the preview, this seems to involve a movie night lol.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

HD DAD posted:

From the preview, this seems to involve a movie night lol.

It worked for Enterprise, I guess

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

The Bloop posted:

probably but either way that is funny and maybe it's an accent or whatever but it's consistent

It's the only name they say wrong and everything else is in normal American accents. I like to think the Ferengi sized up humans as cocky assholes and decided en masse that they would be racist against humans in this specific way.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I like to think that Ferengi hate humans because we're the only race they've ever encountered that basically perfected capitalism and then turned their backs on it. Like...you guys elected Donald Trump! That's the pinnacle of society! And you gave that all up?!?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more I think about it, future Earth bugs me. Mars and Luna had millions of people on them (even accounting for the events of Picard, the Federation had 900 years to rebuild) and all sorts of poo poo in the belts. Even, especially, in a world without warp drives, they should be locking down the whole system. It's one thing if they couldn't, but given the tech and wealth we were shown it doesn't make any drat sense to not have Fortress Sol.

It's not that I can't see them being fanatic isolationists, it's that I can't imagine them abiding local competition.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's not 900 years to rebuild. It's 900 years since Discovery left. I think it's like 150 years since the burnham happened.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The more I think about it, future Earth bugs me. Mars and Luna had millions of people on them (even accounting for the events of Picard, the Federation had 900 years to rebuild) and all sorts of poo poo in the belts. Even, especially, in a world without warp drives, they should be locking down the whole system. It's one thing if they couldn't, but given the tech and wealth we were shown it doesn't make any drat sense to not have Fortress Sol.

It's not that I can't see them being fanatic isolationists, it's that I can't imagine them abiding local competition.

Not much about the episode made any sense which does seem to be a similar thread with Trek for the past 3 years. It's all about getting to character moments.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Most of the A team and the B team blew up so you’re left with the people who were fine just hanging out on earth doing whatever. Also TOS and TNG are full of advanced civilizations who are perfectly happy to just chill on their home planet so it’s not out of place in universe.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Also “civilization needs 30 minutes with the crew to learn they’ve been monsters for hundreds of years” and “forever conflict is resolved with a quick crew visit” are Star Trek staples so it was nice to see it happen to earth for once.

A GIANT PARSNIP fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 30, 2020

Final Fantasy Football
Oct 3, 2006

Maybe it would have made more sense if the Raiders were from Alpha Centauri or some other old colony world. But yea I agree seems odd that they would strait up abandon the home solar system

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Hair seems to grow very fast in a year in space.

So, they went to Earth in part to protect their dilithium only to find out Earth sucks now, too. They had a whole thing about it making them a target in open space, etc. They seemed to have forgotten by the end of the episode that they were worried about that, though.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

You know what, if it's in service to Star Trek plots I'll accept all of it. It's going to bug me when things happen contrary to what the space wizard technical manual clearly says on the subject, but I felt a legit twinge of wonder when when they jumped back to Earth. Let's keep that going.

And also, I'll give more ground on the Burn and weird timeline thereof the less they talk about it. It's a thing. It happened. Discrepancies in the how and why are the natural result of myth making over a lost century. The worst thing they could do is go back to it through timefuckery.

Wait, no. The worst thing they could do is let Space Hitler run the transporters unsupervised. :wtc:

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Super Deuce posted:

Hair seems to grow very fast in a year in space.

So, they went to Earth in part to protect their dilithium only to find out Earth sucks now, too. They had a whole thing about it making them a target in open space, etc. They seemed to have forgotten by the end of the episode that they were worried about that, though.

They got cornered at earth because the pirates could see them magically appear in system. The pirates weren’t able to detect the dilithium but knew something was up. I’m assuming they’ll have the same problem going forward - people won’t see the dilithium but it’s obvious something strange and valuable is there.

Also I’m under the impression they’ll be at risk wherever they go or whatever they do, and it’s not like the hero ship of a Star Trek show is just gonna hang out at the star base with the dude with the flag for the next 20 years.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I just imagine them trying out that big force shield around the whole solar system and actually succeeding! Until it overloaded during a solar maximum and disintegrated everything beyond Uranus

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Also “civilization needs 30 minutes with the crew to learn they’ve been monsters for hundreds of years” and “forever conflict is resolved with a quick crew visit” are Star Trek staples so it was nice to see it happen to earth for once.

Yeah it was a very typical Trek episode but the weird alien planet was Earth. I enjoyed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

They got cornered at earth because the pirates could see them magically appear in system. The pirates weren’t able to detect the dilithium but knew something was up. I’m assuming they’ll have the same problem going forward - people won’t see the dilithium but it’s obvious something strange and valuable is there.

Also I’m under the impression they’ll be at risk wherever they go or whatever they do, and it’s not like the hero ship of a Star Trek show is just gonna hang out at the star base with the dude with the flag for the next 20 years.

Also, the pirates were from Titan and Discovery spored in next to Saturn. So it was the perfect place for them to mysteriously pop in.