Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

socialsecurity posted:

I think unearned pathos helps wrap up my problems with the show. Like Michael looked lovingly at her console last episode but all I was wondering is how long did she even spend there? Like are there even more like 2-3 scenes of her there or interacting with it at all? The entire show/crew acts like it's season 6 and these people have done a bunch together on screen when they really haven't and it feels weird.

thank you for correctly interpreting the dumb autocorrect I never noticed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
You know what? I don't care how implausible it is, I want Disco season 3's finale to be the third in a row for Riker warping in and saving everyone at the last minute.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

DrNutt posted:

You know what? I don't care how implausible it is, I want Disco season 3's finale to be the third in a row for Riker warping in and saving everyone at the last minute.

And it was all a Holodeck program, but Bob Newhart is there this time.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

MikeJF posted:

If they ever did go to Bajor it's be cool if DS9 is still there at the mouth of the Wormhole next to a modern station because even though it's a thousand years later are you kidding that's the Emissary's station where he discovered and guarded the Celestial Temple during the time of the locusts and then the Reckoning no way are you demolishing it

plus its haunted

The Bloop posted:

"Just one 'aye', we aren't pirates" was a pretty good line

I was grooving on the Saru sashay

socialsecurity posted:

How long was Discovery away from Michael in their time? It seems like a day to me but Tilly is all like "I always knew I'd see you again" etc

agreed this was weird but consider she's picking back up with Michael flying off in a personal suit to make a wormhole to fly into the future and maybe it makes sense? It did read/sound like it was the passage of time though, with the tie into her mum being dead for hundreds of years conversation

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 31, 2020

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

socialsecurity posted:

Janeway/Seven/Doctor, Tuvok for a close second everyone else is the most boring character imaginable.

But consider Tuvix

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I thought the episode was good, but Stamets just straight up telling the girl what their deal was, and what the spore drive was, was extremely dangerous and I absolutely expected that would backfire on them somehow.

I guess we are indeed going to Trill, which was teased in an early Season 3 trailer

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

FlamingLiberal posted:

I thought the episode was good, but Stamets just straight up telling the girl what their deal was, and what the spore drive was, was extremely dangerous and I absolutely expected that would backfire on them somehow.

I guess we are indeed going to Trill, which was teased in an early Season 3 trailer

This was weird as hell. I guess it was Stamets desperately wanting to tell another nerd about cool nerd poo poo he does, but he should know better than to just start sharing top secret info with some kid he just accused of sabotaging the ship.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

Having watched the Netflix movie he did recently... he hasn't.

My "favorite" Jhonen Vasquez moment was him telling the audience at the Comic Con panel for Enter The Florpus to go harass Melissa Fahn on Twitter because she couldn't make it to San Diego for the panel, and then the shithead Zim fans actually did...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DrNutt posted:

They're all sad because it sees like after all their searching they can't find remnants of starfleet and it seems like there just isn't enough of the Federation left and raiders are closing in on them and about to destroy them and then

<cue TNG theme, ship drops dramatically out of warp to save them>

"IT'S ADMIRAL JEAN-LUC HYPERRIKER!"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Cojawfee posted:

This was weird as hell. I guess it was Stamets desperately wanting to tell another nerd about cool nerd poo poo he does, but he should know better than to just start sharing top secret info with some kid he just accused of sabotaging the ship.

I thought it was pretty obvious that Stamets, being a huge science loving nerd, sussed out another huge science loving nerd and told them a bunch of cool stuff to entice them into spilling their beans and maybe joining the crew.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I know everyone in Star Fleet is a mega multidisciplinary polygot but an astro mycologist should not be a generalist engineer and definitely not the chief engineer

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That, and it was pretty clear that while Adira didn't know everything, they knew enough already to screw Disco, so offering the explanation as a peace laurel was the best chance to get them on Stamets' side.

The Bloop posted:

I know everyone in Star Fleet is a mega multidisciplinary polygot but an astro mycologist should not be a generalist engineer and definitely not the chief engineer

He's chief of the Spore Drive system, he's not the general chief engineer. Not sure who is at this point, but it might be Reno? Or they might just not have a singular chief engineer at all.

There was a graphic at one point that listed him as the chief engineer early on but they've said that was a production error.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Oct 31, 2020

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
This is the first episode of discovery that actually felt like star trek to me. Good poo poo, I desperately hope they can maintain this.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MikeJF posted:

They're all sad because it sees like after all their searching they can't find remnants of starfleet and it seems like there just isn't enough of the Federation left and raiders are closing in on them and about to destroy them and then

<cue TNG theme, ship drops dramatically out of warp to save them>

"IT'S ADMIRAL JEAN-LUC HYPERRIKER!"

"THAT'LL BE THE DAY!!!!!"

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

happyhippy posted:

Nah, you see they totally banned time travel and everyone, yes EVERYONE, even those with time crystals or totally bad evil gangs, never used it again.

The Suluban made a mistake in going back in time, should have went forward

Galactic treaty.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There was already a galactic treaty earlier on, it was called the Temporal Accords. Daniels enforced it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if they tried to make Lower Decks change their finale when they realised Picard had they same but it was too late.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

The future timeship Starfleet was dumb and I'm completely fine with them handwaving it away so as to not deal with it. That's the kind of thing you make up when you're not expecting to ever actually set a show in that era.

Yeah I will dunk on Discovery's bad writing all day but its absolutely fine for them to handwave it away with "there was a time war, poo poo got bad, everyone agreed to junk the tech forever". Its respectful of canon while not being tied to the implications.

I'm less sympathetic to the idea that the crew can do the equivalent of sail into port on a roman galley, say "yeah we were on a really long cruise" and not just get immediately called out as liars.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I love the dramatic references to the Burn being this life-changing event for people born seventy years after it happened. It's the equivalent of me complaining about how rough my great parents had it WWI.

For every human Discovery encounters the post Burn world is just "the world."

Chef Boyardeez Nuts fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Oct 31, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Alchenar posted:

Yeah I will dunk on Discovery's bad writing all day but its absolutely fine for them to handwave it away with "there was a time war, poo poo got bad, everyone agreed to junk the tech forever". Its respectful of canon while not being tied to the implications.

I'm less sympathetic to the idea that the crew can do the equivalent of sail into port on a roman galley, say "yeah we were on a really long cruise" and not just get immediately called out as liars.

Ehhh, I’m willing to let it slide partly because there’s been several generation ships on the various shows before so it’s probably not that far-fetched, and partly because everyone so far has seen right through it anyway so it’s not like a huge ruse they’ve tried hard to maintain.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Honestly their 900 old computers should get instantly hacked and all the info pulled out anyway.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

For that matter if great great grandpa was a time cop, those societies should understand that temporal rifts are a thing.

"We scanned an anomaly and woke up in the future" is way less sus than "we're just the 30th generation of the original crew and no I can't explain why all our poo poo is pristine."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

Honestly their 900 old computers should get instantly hacked and all the info pulled out anyway.

I hope Star Trek Computers don't come into play if that's the case and they play it straight and they get nothing because it's like trying to hook an iPod up to a green and black DOS box with nothing but a 5.1" floppy drive for an input port because it's literally 900 years obsolete.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

More realistic that their computers are completely unhackable because nobody can read that janky old code anymore.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alchenar posted:

More realistic that their computers are completely unhackable because nobody can read that janky old code anymore.

That's relatable now but super future computer should be plenty smart enough to figure it out on it's own

BUT

The Discovery computer merged with the even more advanced sphere AI which is an active countermeasure against hacking. Wouldn't be surprised if it actually reverse turbofucked anyone who attempted it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"Captain, their computer seems to be turbo loving us."

"Reverse the polarity"

"Genius! You've soured the milk!"

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I mean 29th century tech let a 20th century Bill Gates type hack the 24th century Voyager... But then Voyager didn't have weird rear end sphere data like Discovery.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

For that matter if great great grandpa was a time cop, those societies should understand that temporal rifts are a thing.

"We scanned an anomaly and woke up in the future" is way less sus than "we're just the 30th generation of the original crew and no I can't explain why all our poo poo is pristine."

They could've just leaned into the Andromeda angle by saying their ship has been stuck near the event horizon of a black hole for a long time.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nullsmack posted:

They could've just leaned into the Andromeda angle by saying their ship has been stuck near the event horizon of a black hole for a long time.

That sounds fake

They should have said they miscalibrated the inertial dampeners on the chronometric field manifold in their subspace warp particle array

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Manual art or deep filter?

oh, and oh, of course, we literally saw them drop out of spore right next door to Titan at the start, I only just realised that

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 31, 2020

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

A different and better show could make an episode, if not a full arc of what being a Federation starship primarily staffed by humans means when there isn't a Federation anymore. There have to be at least a few who want off Mr. Sarus' wild ride. They saved organic life. Mission accomplished. They could absolutely attempt to trade the spore drive for status, wealth, privilege and placing Earth ascendent in creating a new galactic order.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

A different and better show could make an episode, if not a full arc of what being a Federation starship primarily staffed by humans means when there isn't a Federation anymore. There have to be at least a few who want off Mr. Sarus' wild ride. They saved organic life. Mission accomplished. They could absolutely attempt to trade the spore drive for status, wealth, privilege and placing Earth ascendent in creating a new galactic order.

They could have gone that angle, but if they don't want to go there it's totally believable that there isn't anyone like that - keep in mind that the ones on Discovery are the ones who chose to stay aboard, to sacrifice the life they knew to protect the Federation by taking the ship into the unknown and never coming back. All the people who aren't hardcore about Their Duty would've been those that hopped the ship at the end of Season 2.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 31, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Technically the Prime Directive now applies to every planet in the Universe and Discovery should not be talking to anyone.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Alchenar posted:

Technically the Prime Directive now applies to every planet in the Universe and Discovery should not be talking to anyone.

That... Is not how that works.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It will never not crack me up that Daniels goes to all of this trouble to save his past and keep Archer from getting killed or whatever, and then like 20-ish years after he does that, The Burn happens.

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 31, 2020

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

FlamingLiberal posted:

It will never not crack me up that Daniels goes to all of this trouble to save his past and keep Archer from getting killed or whatever, and then like 20-ish years after he goes that, The Burn happens.

Truly the alien Nazis had the last laugh.

Also please let Discovery bring back the alien Nazis.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I wanna see Captain Saru punch a Nazi alien

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

MikeJF posted:

They could have gone that angle, but if they don't want to go there it's totally believable that there isn't anyone like that - keep in mind that the ones on Discovery are the ones who chose to stay aboard, to sacrifice the life they knew to protect the Federation by taking the ship into the unknown and never coming back. All the people who aren't hardcore about Their Duty would've been those that hopped the ship at the end of Season 2.

Oh totally. I'm just pointing out an opportunity for character development, world building and drama that doesn't involve punching or shooting anyone that I fear the writers either aren't noticing or don't care about it. I'd also like to see Earth fleshed out more because my brain can't process the contradiction of what at first glance is a powerful and prosperous civilization that's worried about some broke rear end raiders. If Earth, and the other former Federation worlds are just fine on their own it raises the question if whether there is a need for a galactic superstate other than for its own sake.

Perhaps those sorts of stories are a casualty of shorter seasons.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It occurs to me that Control should have been transmitting its source code on all frequencies constantly since last season, so it's kind of funny to think of 32nd century McAfee just getting that and being all "nope".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

MikeJF posted:

Manual art or deep filter?

oh, and oh, of course, we literally saw them drop out of spore right next door to Titan at the start, I only just realised that

filters

i was blah about the ship design at first but it’s really grown on me; the top-down view is very kinetic to my eyes