Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Doctor Nutt posted:

I choose to believe it was intentional on the part of the actors and director but the producers were huge cowards.

Didn't they have to get Garaks actor to quit doing this with Bashir?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Two Owls posted:

I think Keating did pretty much say this at one point.

Also lieutenant Gruber from 'Allo 'Allo briefly pops up as Reed's dad, so the casting department may be in on it as well
:stare:
How did I miss that?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Great Beer posted:

Didn't they have to get Garaks actor to quit doing this with Bashir?

Andy Robinson chose to play up the flirtation in their first scene and everyone was on-board with it but some higher up, I'm guessing Berman, told them to drop it. So it retreated to subtext. The way you phrased that made it sound like he went rogue or something.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

First shot of the Prodigy cast looks uh....

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I just see Giru from Dragon Ball GT on the left.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

We sure this isn't for a Wildstar expansion?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://www.twitter.com/faketrek/status/1364720397229432833

Self-professed “idiot with a microphone who used to own a comic book store” gets pre-emptively mad about a children’s TV show, claims it does not exist, is humiliatingly wrong.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Those characters look neat but I don't see any evidence they're Starfleet

Alien crew on a lost ship with ECH Janeway

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Bloop posted:

Those characters look neat buti funny see any evidence they're Starfleet

Alien crew on a lost ship with ECH Janeway

The press release says they’re non-Federation aliens who come across a derelict Starfleet ship.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

It's FTL the series, each episode everyone dies but little by little the kids get better over the season and can eventually fight the rebel flagship

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

The press release says they’re non-Federation aliens who come across a derelict Starfleet ship.

Ah, well I'm doubling down then that Janeway is a hologram

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Janeway is a fading distress broadcast containing the last logs of the ship she died in. The "crew" try to return the ship to Starfleet because it sounds better than their lovely lives

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Wasn't there a series on Nickelodeon in the '90s or the early 00's about a ship full of kids that's got lost in space? I think there were adults on board but they couldn't operate the ship for some reason?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wasn't there a series on Nickelodeon in the '90s or the early 00's about a ship full of kids that's got lost in space? I think there were adults on board but they couldn't operate the ship for some reason?

SPACE CASES!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

SPACE CASES!

Ah yeah, that's it. It was kind of a mix between Farscape and Voyager with terrible production values but I definitely remember watching nearly every episode.

I bet we'll get something similar here with the alien kids being whisked away by this derelict federation ship and a Janeway hologram being their mentor.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Emergency Command Hologram pretty accurately sums up my reaction to that first promo shot, tbh

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

Sanguinia posted:

SPACE CASES!

I'm surprised it didn't come up earlier in Discovery season 3 discussion considering "Catalina's best friend Suzie isn't there."

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Arquinsiel posted:

:stare:
How did I miss that?

Americans are totally happy to cast Guy Siner in roles where British people will be unable to take him seriously, it's like when Ian McShane played Space Lovejoy in one of the Babylon 5 TV movies, the only difference being that he didn't break the 4th wall (which bothered me more and more as I watched it) - actually Guy Siner was in B5 too but under enough makeup that I didn't notice at the time.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I wonder if this means Prodigy is set in Disco S3 times, then. Are we officially getting a new era?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ookiimarukochan posted:

Americans are totally happy to cast Guy Siner in roles where British people will be unable to take him seriously, it's like when Ian McShane played Space Lovejoy in one of the Babylon 5 TV movies, the only difference being that he didn't break the 4th wall (which bothered me more and more as I watched it) - actually Guy Siner was in B5 too but under enough makeup that I didn't notice at the time.
Well I'm Irish, but 'Allo 'Allo is one of my childhood favourites which I only appreciate more as an adult.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Arquinsiel posted:

Well I'm Irish, but 'Allo 'Allo is one of my childhood favourites which I only appreciate more as an adult.

Yeah I was worried it'd be really terrible, but I watched an episode quite recently and it's dated but certainly not bad. That was a relief.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Eh. It's a cartoon for kids. It's fine, whatever. I'm glad at least they're making aliens weirder when they do animation.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Second guy from the left looks like he could be a CG interpretation of the little pig guys from the first episode of Lower Decks.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
That art looks good I don't know what anyone is complaining about. Anyone want to do more than roll their eyes and explain?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It looks age appropriate and grownups are getting mad about that.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

I'm sure TheQuartering is making 27 videos about how the main character's boobs are too small for him to masturbate to as we speak.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Arquinsiel posted:

Perfect circle venn diagram with weird nerds mad about She-ra?

Space Cases has kids in prosthetics and face paint. Looking it up I think it's aged well. The first ep also has a Uranus joke.

e;

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm sure TheQuartering is making 27 videos about how the main character's boobs are too small for him to masturbate to as we speak.

That's the weirdo.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MariusLecter posted:

Perfect circle venn diagram with weird nerds mad about She-ra?

New she ra is also great and the only people I can imagine being mad about it are grognards and bigots

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

She-Ra is very good and Scorpia is my choice for best Star Trek captain

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Arquinsiel posted:

At some point society hit a groove where just because some cartoons were being made for adults, they decided all children's cartoons were for adults too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

At some point society hit a groove where just because some cartoons were being made for adults, they decided all children's cartoons were for adults too.

The decade and a half of boomers (and the economic collapse brought on by the boomers) constantly infantilizing their millennial children helped poison a lot of brains in that regard too, I've no doubt.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Bloop posted:

That art looks good I don't know what anyone is complaining about. Anyone want to do more than roll their eyes and explain?

Arquinsiel posted:

I just don't think the art looks great :shrug:

If you showed me that photo zero context my first guesses would be "new video game" or "new generic hero show." I'm not demanding we get 5 Federation race teens and an Exocomp, or that the Starfleet logo be plastered everywhere, but there is not a single thing in that shot that says "Star Trek" to me.

I also don't think it means the show will be bad, it's just a very underwhelming First Look, and I think it's relatively unnecessary to have 6 entirely new species as the main cast.

On the other hand, Star Wars Rebels and Resistance looked like crap in the initial promo shots and they both turned out solid.

Plus to devil's advocate myself, for all we know, the derelict ship in question somehow ended up in the rear end-end of the Gamma quadrant, and literally the only references we ever get to known Trek is hologram Janeway constantly yelling about how the kids are breaking Starfleet regulations, and their constant refrain is variations on "lol wtf is Starfleet"

e: and a bunch of skeletons in colorful uniforms

e2: actually the more I think about it the more "show takes place way outside known space and it's just a Starfleet hologram giving them guidance" would be a pretty perfect way to showcase a bunch of teenagers learning and internalizing the morals and messages of Fully Automated Space Communism without it just being "the kids go to The Academy"

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Feb 26, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
We would be lucky as poo poo if this is half as good as Rebels turned out to be

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I hope we get people flying around by swinging their light sabers like helicopter blades like rebels too.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Bloop posted:

I had to average Rebels which was great with Resistance which was OK

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Bloop posted:

Rebels had no drat business making that final showdown with Darth Maul and Obi-Wan so loving good, goddamn :suspense:.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I've got no hate for it, it's a kid's show and all, but lol at them going right down the list of Dreamworks cliches for their character designs. Given there's zero recognizable Star Trek species, nevermind a sentient robot, I can't help but wonder if someone pitched Prodigy as its own sci-fi property and got the Star Trek brand slapped on it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

pitched Prodigy as its own sci-fi property and got the Star Trek brand slapped on it.

I doubt this is the case, as the Hagemans are huge Trek fans and the show has been in development for more than two years (I think work on it either predates or began concurrently with Lower Decks).

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Remember when you were a Trek nerd as a kid and your dad who wasn't into it was like "why does that guy have ridges on his forehead?" and you'd say "he's a Klingon!" and your dad would roll his eyes? Now you're going to ask your kid what race the rock guy is and he'll say "that's a rockubulan!" and you are going to roll your eyes!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

well why not posted:

Ossyra eating it and the chain breaking isn’t too crazy, particularly for ST standards where planet = country = culture. One person will lead an entire planet so a syndicate lynchpin isn’t that much of a stretch. We were spoilt by DS9

*sigh*

Activate Ossyra 2