Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Star Trek’s been around for 54 years now and we’re entering a level of production for the franchise not seen since its mid-90’s heyday. New shows are now distributed by CBS and streaming on CBS All Access (US), Amazon (UK), Netflix (UK), and others (you international folks will have to help me out here). Naturally, new shows mean new viewers, so this thread has been made with those newbies in mind.

Let’s see what’s out there.

Star Trek: Picard – Season 1
Airing: January 23rd 2020 – March 26th 2020 (10 episodes, weekly)
Streaming on CBS All Access (US), Amazon Prime Video (UK)
Starring: Patrick Stewart, Alison Pill, Michelle Hurd, Evan Evagora, Brent Spiner, Jeri Ryan, Jonathan del Arco
Premise:
For nearly two decades, Jean-Luc Picard was Captain of two ships to bear the name Enterprise. When Star Trek: Picard begins, we find that Jean-Luc has retired from life in Starfleet and now tends the fields of his family’s vineyard in La Barre, France. Eighteen years ago his friend and comrade, the android Data, was killed during a mission to the planet Romulus. That same planet was destroyed several years later when a nearby star went supernova, and the ensuing refugee crisis remains an issue for Starfleet and the rest of the galaxy today. We don’t know much about the show’s plot yet, but we do know the Borg (a race of hive-minded cyborgs collected from trillions of different abducted individuals) will factor in somehow, as will the Romulans (a race of militaristic and paranoid spymasters related to the Vulcans), and several other members of both the Next Generation and Voyager crews. The show will tell a single serialized story in its first season, and has already been renewed for a second.

Never seen TNG or haven’t seen it in quite a while and want the bare essentials just to catch up in time?
Just follow this list:

quote:

“The Measure of a Man” – TNG Season 2, Episode 9
“I, Borg” – TNG Season 5, Episode 23
“Descent” Parts 1 & 2 – TNG Season 6/7, Episodes 26/1 (I’m sorry)
“All Good Things” – TNG Season 7, Episode 26
“Scorpion” – Star Trek: Voyager Seasons 3/4, Episodes 26/1
Star Trek: Nemesis (I’m so, so sorry)
“Scorpion” is on there as an introduction to Seven of Nine, but if anyone can suggest a better episode I’m happy to change it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGVwjpguRqc

Star Trek: Discovery – Season 3
Airing: TBD 2020, likely Summer/early Fall (13 episodes, weekly)
Streaming on CBS All Access (US), Netflix (UK)
Starring: Sonequa Martin-Green, Doug Jones, Michelle Yeoh, Anthony Rapp, Mary Wiseman, Wilson Cruz, David Ajala
Premise:
The titular vessel of Star Trek: Discovery is a largely experimental science ship, propelled not only by the usual warp drive but also by a unique “Spore Drive” that allows the ship to jump greater distances through the use of literal mushroom spores. Yeah, this show gets weird as hell. Lead character Michael Burnham (Martin-Green) is a human raised by Vulcans and adopted sister of Spock. At the end of the second season, she had been separated from the Discovery, but still thrown into the same future as the rest of the crew. First Officer Saru (Jones) is a Kelpian, a race with a built-in Spidey Sense, giving them a heads-up on potential danger. Phillipa Georgiou (Yeoh) is the former Empress of the Mirror Universe’s Terran Empire and now a member of Section 31, a secretive branch of Starfleet created to protect Federation interests with grey morality and slick leather uniforms. Lt. Cmdr Stamets (Rapp) is a mycologist in charge of Discovery’s Spore Drive and its de facto Chief Engineer. He was left comatose at the end of Season 2. His partner, Dr. Culber (Cruz) died and was resurrected thanks to space mushroom science, and I can assure you the full explanation for that is far more complicated but no less nonsensical. Finally, Sylvia Tilly is Discovery’s eager and energetic former Cadet, now Ensign, and close friend of Burnham’s. The first two seasons saw the crew deal with a Klingon war, a trip to the Mirror Universe, and a conflict with Section 31 that saw Spock and the crew of the USS Enterprise helping out Discovery. The ship has had a rotating roster of captains but season 2’s finale saw Saru assume the role, at least for now.

The end of Season 2 also saw the crew of Discovery’s titular ship jumping forward in time nearly 1,000 years, from 23rd century to the 32nd. In this era, the Federation and Starfleet have become isolationist and membership has shrunk to a handful of planets. Again, the larger plot is mostly unknown, but we do know it will involve the 32nd century’s Federation president seeking Discovery’s help to restore the Federation to its former glory and bring hope to a troubled galaxy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46ec8WnBHes

Star Trek: Short Treks
Airing: Now, sporadically
Streaming on CBS All Access (US), Netflix (UK (You have to look under the Extras tab))
Starring: Various
Premise:
Short Treks is pretty much what it sounds like; short-form stories set in the world of Star Trek, usually 15-20 minutes in length. The bulk of the episodes released thus far have either featured the Discovery crew or been set during the same time period, though newer ones have taken place during Star Trek: Picard’s time. Presumably the “show” will continue to function this way, with new episodes taking place all over the timeline. There’s no real continuity between episodes, with each one more or less a one-shot, although producers have said that future shows or episodes may occasionally follow up on Short Trek subjects (this happened with a character in Disco season 2 actually). These don’t appear to be essential viewing just yet, but you might as well watch them if you’ve seen everything else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7J0XR8Xbl4

Star Trek: Lower Decks
Airing: TBD 2020 (10 episodes, weekly)
Streaming on CBS All Access (US)
Starring: Eugene Cordero, Tawny Newsome, Jerry O’Connell, Dawnn Lewis, Jack Quaid
Premise:
Lower Decks, like the TNG episode it’s named after, will focus on the lowest-ranking staff of one of Starfleet’s least important ships in the year 2380 (just after Star Trek: Nemesis). The show will be the franchise’s second foray into animation, the first since The Animated Series in the 70’s. It’s the brainchild of Mike McMahan, the man behind the TNG Season 8 twitter account. A second season has already been ordered for the show, with the first set to air sometime this year.

Future Shows and Projects
Section 31
Not much is known beyond Michelle Yeoh’s involvement, but a Section 31 show is coming at some point and parts of Discovery season 2 essentially functioned as a backdoor pilot for the show. The only ETA we’ve been given is “sometime after Discovery season 3 shoots”. Since Disco S3 airs this year, expect ugly leather uniforms and pointy knife spaceships to hit All Access sometime in 2021 or 2022.

Untitled Nickelodeon Show
Another “announced but not yet in production” show is an animated series for Nickelodeon aimed at a younger audience. The show will focus on a group of kids salvaging an old Starfleet ship and going on adventures.

Young Khan Series/Miniseries
Back before Discovery aired, one of the projects in development was a limited series focusing on Khan during the time before Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, when the despot and his augment army were stranded on the hellworld Ceti Alpha V. After Nick Meyer parted ways with CBS, we stopped hearing any solid info on the project and it was presumed dead. Recent rumors have suggested it’s still coming, but who knows at this point.

Other
Two additional series have been mentioned as “in development”, but no concrete info has been given and I wouldn’t expect to hear anything until Comic Con this year.

I’ve tried to include region-free trailers where possible, but let me know if someone has better links.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Those links are geoblocked

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rocksicles posted:

Those links are geoblocked

Honestly, that could be the thread title.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

New shows are now distributed by CBS and streaming on CBS All Access (US), Amazon (UK), Netflix (UK), and others (you international folks will have to help me out here).

Picard is on Amazon in Australia, where as Discovery and all the old shows are on Netflix - who knows if season 3 will jump to Amazon?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Calling it now: the Picard show is going to be great. Return to idealism. Cogent case for compassion to refugees in the face of cynical isolationism. An exploration of understanding for the "other," synth/ex-borg or whatever.

Unlike Discovery, its message will be unambiguous and wholly good-hearted without any need to descend quite so far into the grit in an incoherent attempt at edginess. Picard isn't edgy. The Federation in Picard will be in full evil-admiral mode, abandoning humanist ideals for "pragmatic" reasons, but Picard's personal idealism will shine through, without state/military backing. An old man who knows right from wrong, all on his own/with a band of scruffy misfits, will make a difference.

Also Lore will be the villain.

See if this all doesn't happen. Feel free to quote/mock me if any of this isn't true.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

For international reference, Disco is on Netflix here in Germany, and Picard is supposed to be Amazon Prime I think. I haven't checked in awhile but after the first few Short Treks episodes were released, they still didn't get posted on German Netflix. That might not be the case anymore though.

Anyway: I have every expectation that Picard as a show will be bad and disappointing and continue this lovely era of Gritty Edgelord Trek that Discovery started, but that Patrick Stewart and Jeri Ryan will be great. So :shrug:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The opening monologue should include “I’ve seen everything. I’ve seen it all.”

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Drone posted:

For international reference, Disco is on Netflix here in Germany, and Picard is supposed to be Amazon Prime I think. I haven't checked in awhile but after the first few Short Treks episodes were released, they still didn't get posted on German Netflix. That might not be the case anymore though.

The short treks between s1 and s2 were released in the trailers and bonus material section shortly before it with season 2. Not sure where the new ones will end up with the situation you mentioned above.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The Canadian mirrors of those trailers from Space (or CTV Sci-Fi, whatever) are probably not geolocked if you don't mind how they love to toss their own ugly graphics on everything.

Picard will be fine. The next season of Disco will be spaghetti thrown against a wall like always, but maybe the sauce will be a little more consistent this time now that they've somehow managed to go a full season without a showrunner quitting or getting fired.

Wasn't there also a Starfleet Academy series threatening to become a reality? Maybe I'm just confusing that for one of the other dozen attempts to produce an Academy series or movie over the last few decades.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Since the day it was announced there has been no show I've anticipated more than Picard. He's been my hero for 30 years. I haven't been this excited since Doctor Who returned in 2005.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

Since the day it was announced there has been no show I've anticipated more than Picard. He's been my hero for 30 years. I haven't been this excited since Doctor Who returned in 2005.

There it is folks, the nerdiest thing ever written

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

^ pft, just wait

Eiba posted:

Unlike Discovery, its message will be unambiguous and wholly good-hearted without any need to descend quite so far into the grit in an incoherent attempt at edginess. Picard isn't edgy. The Federation in Picard will be in full evil-admiral mode, abandoning humanist ideals for "pragmatic" reasons, but Picard's personal idealism will shine through, without state/military backing.

I think that's where it's going to go, but to me some of the greatest part of the idealism of Star Trek is that we might somehow make it to wisdom as a civilisation working together. That acts of idealism and morality aren't necessarily limited to heroes and individuals and small-scale stories, but something that we could collectively achieve together. Cast off the cynical idea that society must be a crushing, corrupted amoral machine dragging all of us down which must be defied if we want to do right, and instead present the idea that together we could build a civilisation to be proud of, one that could face times of darkness and struggle through while keeping ahold of its values and fight off the parts of itself that want to compromise them.

The idea that idealism isn't something that can survive except on small scales as individual acts, that the collective whole will end up falling to selfishness, is itself something I'd consider pretty sad and grim.

Just addressing what you said there - obviously at this point we have no idea how Picard itself or the future history between the 24th and 31st century on Discovery will play out.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 21, 2020

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

MikeJF posted:

I think that's where it's going to go, but to me some of the greatest part of the idealism of Star Trek is that we might somehow make it to wisdom as a civilisation working together. That acts of idealism and morality aren't necessarily limited to heroes and individuals and small-scale stories, but something that we could collectively achieve together. Cast off the cynical idea that society must be a crushing, corrupted amoral machine dragging all of us down which must be defied if we want to do right, and instead present the idea that together we could build a civilisation to be proud of, one that could face times of darkness and struggle through while keeping ahold of its values and fight off the parts of itself that want to compromise them.

The idea that idealism isn't something that can survive except on small scales as individual acts, that the collective whole will end up falling to selfishness, is itself something I'd consider pretty sad and grim.

100%, my dude

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

As the world goes more and more to poo poo I've grown to realize that the kind of idealism depicted in early Star Trek (more TOS than TNG, but also TNG) is inherently naive and destructive, because it theorizes that at some point humanity just "solves everything" and learns to be above it all, which is not really how civilization works.

There's a level of pretension there at its core, that Star Trek as a whole mostly tries to ignore - Starfleet isn't a military organization (it is), the Federation is the *good* colonialist empire (it isn't), everyone is treated equally (they aren't), our values are better than those of the alien species (they aren't) - all this is supported by loving everything in the federation going loving wrong CONSTANTLY. It makes for compelling TV, but as an ideological coda it's romanticized pap that deliberately ignores not only the realistic struggles that humanity would face as a colonialist force in the galaxy, but also its own internal problems, which, again, are very clearly present in all of the shows even if they're a product of the time period they were produced in, or some other external factor (women being treated as second class citizens being the most prominent example).

Them acknowledging this in the actual show, like DS9 did, I would argue is not cynical. It's facing the fact that the old idealized myths of a post-scarcity utopia are very Euro-centric, e.g. hosed up when you actually deconstruct them, and most often ignore or step on the plights of "lesser" races and try to wash away the actual realities of what they are doing by presupposing that we are so smart and wise that, yes, we can definitely be the one colonizing empire that is entirely anticolonialist and all those other cultures are just doing it wrong. It's some truly liberal wish fulfillment bullshit.

Also Roddenberry was a rapist creep shithead so gently caress his vision forever. I hope the show is good :)

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 21, 2020

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
There is no point of Star Trek without the utopian vision of humanity, it would just be yet another sci-if show. Utopian doesn’t mean that it has to be naïve or that it can’t address actual issues, but I never understood why so many Star Trek fans seemingly hate the one thing that makes it unique.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Oasx posted:

There is no point of Star Trek without the utopian vision of humanity, it would just be yet another sci-if show. Utopian doesn’t mean that it has to be naïve or that it can’t address actual issues, but I never understood why so many Star Trek fans seemingly hate the one thing that makes it unique.

It doesn't have to mean that, but in reality for most of the show's run, it absolutely means that. Which is why something like DS9 is refreshing, even though that show also has issues.

Edit: Also I don't really hate it. I love Star Trek! Well, I don't like most of what I've seen of TOS, but that's a different discussion. I mostly just don't like the loving purity testing about what is and what isn't true Star Trek.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 21, 2020

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

/\/\/\ Some day they'll be picking apart all the sociological failings of your favorite shows from a blindly contemporary perspective with no regard for their place in history, too.

MikeJF posted:

This needs to be auto-posted at the top of every page of every Trek thread.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 21, 2020

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
As with Disco season 2, Picard will have one season-long story arc with a few side-quests to fill in some characters' backgrounds and plotting.

Hope TNG fans can make the adjustment.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

New thread means I thought I'd take a look, didn't realize Picard was so close to coming out, that's awesome!

I watched the first season of Discovery and wasn't really wowed... then I found out it wasn't actually the first season, they'd taken one of those bizarre season breaks a lot of American shows seem to do and there was like a whole other half of the season, so I never got around to catching up.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Spock and the crew of the USS Enterprise helping out Discovery.

Wait hang on, what? Isn't Discovery set before TOS?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Jerusalem posted:

Wait hang on, what? Isn't Discovery set before TOS?

The Enterprise had two captains before Kirk.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

For whatever reason I thought Spock didn't come on till very late in Pike's run as Captain, since he was the only one who survived the transition through to Kirk's crew, so that line caught me by surprise.

MrData
Jun 28, 2008

Eiba posted:

Calling it now: the Picard show is going to be great. Return to idealism. Cogent case for compassion to refugees in the face of cynical isolationism. An exploration of understanding for the "other," synth/ex-borg or whatever.

I really wish I could share your optimism (hehe) and I will reserve judgement until at least a few episodes in but just from the trailer I see so many worrying things. It looks like a cheap fanfilm, especially the shots where Picard is on a 20th-century escalator in a building that is obviously a convention center or something similar, surrounded by extra's in ill fitting uniforms. Ridiculous kung-fu fighting shots and a sword-wielding Romulan, re-use of Discovery shuttles and ships, grimdark everything, JJ-Abrams style 'we have to save the galaxy and this girl is the key' type of story. I just know how all of this came to be. A whole new team of production designers that has no ties to the previous shows that has a 'we have to re-invent everything because obviously we know better to go for 90's aesthetics ' attitude. The result is Orc Klingons, shiny floors with bright lights everywhere, holograms around every corner, mushroom space travel, etc.

Yes, I know the other shows use real-world locations sometimes, had plenty of stupid stuff and I don't expect modern shows to look like the 60's or 90's. When I watch Voyager or TNG there is a sort of 'soft, clean, comfy' feel to everything. When you set a show 20 years after Nemesis I expect the design language to be somewhat evolved but very recognisable.

But if the writing and stoy is great for Picard I hope I can ignore all of this and accept it as all being in the same universe. I hope to be proven wrong.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I feel, from the trailers, that the Picard team hasn't been given as big a budget as Discovery did. Or maybe it's just also going to Patrick and co. salaries.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Thom12255 posted:

I feel, from the trailers, that the Picard team hasn't been given as big a budget as Discovery did. Or maybe it's just also going to Patrick and co. salaries.

Likely the latter. There's no way they wouldn't dump mondo casho into a Picard show. He's just more expensive than Walking Dead castoffs.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Drone posted:

The Enterprise had two captains before Kirk.

Who was the other one

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Who was the other one

Robert April.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think there is a lot of stuff that is not in the trailers to avoid spoilers

Even the space combat stuff is just quick cuts so we can’t see what’s going on

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Rhyno posted:

Robert April.

Wasn't it something like:

First five-year: April
Second five-year: Pike
Third five-year: Kirk (TOS, maaaaybe TAS)
Fourth and possibly fifth or even sixth five-year: Kirk post-TMP refit
Comment in SfS "Jim, the Enterprise is 20 years old, we feel her day is done." This accounts for three five-year missions and then some extra time being used as a training ship.

WoK takes place like 15 years after TMP, and TMP takes place relatively quickly after TOS unless there's another five year mission. I thought the refit happened after the TOS-set five-year, though.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I really really dislike super serialized Star Trek. When DS9 first aired (and shows with similar structure like Babylon 5, Farscape, Stargate, etc), I didn't appreciate what it was doing at the time having a coherent arc while also having plenty of breathing room to develop characters. I just wanted them to get on with the main plot. Well that's all we get now and I hate it.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Point: never, ever listen to Star Trek fans

However, not listening is also what gave us JJTrek, so we’re damned either way.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

HD DAD posted:

Point: never, ever listen to Star Trek fans

However, not listening is also what gave us JJTrek, so we’re damned either way.

That's because Star Trek is just bad, it's really not good and we're protein-deficient cult captives convincing each other there's a plan and a hope that the *next* serial killer to take over The Pit will throw down some chicken scraps.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TNG is about half good and half bad episodes, DS9 gets that ratio up to 75%

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

funkymonks posted:

I really really dislike super serialized Star Trek. When DS9 first aired (and shows with similar structure like Babylon 5, Farscape, Stargate, etc), I didn't appreciate what it was doing at the time having a coherent arc while also having plenty of breathing room to develop characters. I just wanted them to get on with the main plot. Well that's all we get now and I hate it.
That’s more of a modern TV thing now

Nobody’s going to pay for 26 episodes in a season for this kind of expensive show

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If STP turns out to suck it will mean an entire generation has been born, grown up and become able to legally drink since there has been an even halfway decent season of Star Trek on television

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

skasion posted:

If STP turns out to suck it will mean an entire generation has been born, grown up and become able to legally drink since there has been an even halfway decent season of Star Trek on television

DS9 season seven was good! We still have five months before that's 21 years old.

:corsair:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

skasion posted:

Enterprise season 4 is only a sophomore in high school at this point.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

Discovery doesn't have the low lows that the other shows had. It also doesn't have the high highs, but it's decent overall.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MichiganCubbie posted:

Discovery doesn't have the low lows that the other shows had. It also doesn't have the high highs, but it's decent overall.

It has Michelle Yeoh.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I like Discovery, it has good and bad parts, as do all STs. Enterprise season 4 is not good, none of Enterprise is. Archer absolute worst captain hands down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Last few episodes of Enterprise is good.

Except for that bullshit finale.