Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nah, I think I'm good on that one, chief :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You have to pay extra to get the cube and eyebats

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

twistedmentat posted:

You have to pay extra to get the cube and eyebats

Damnit this is just like the tricorder with the purple stripe!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

So I just binged through all the current episodes of Lower Decks. That was an odd thing to do in one night, it feels like I just pounded a red bull with all of the fast talking and animated action scenes and a and b plots getting crammed in to 22 minute chunks.

I'm not sure what to think of it yet, I'm not sure I could be a fan of it, but that's not necessarily a knock against it as much as it just not being my kind of show. I can see other people liking it and I wouldn't think it weird that they did. I would have to say that it feels more star trek-y (if that's a thing) than the other productions to have come from nu-trek. Episodic, sci-fi oriented ideas that come together with pretty reasonable approaches/conclusions. It's nice seeing a lot of "star trek-y" things pop up, not as references but for example seeing a ferengi pop up that looks like a ferengi and does a pretty good ferengi voice.

First, the good: I like the art style, it's got a nice palette and the ships look cozy and inviting. The sound effects are spot on and just sound right. Each episode seemed to have at least one of the a/b plots be interesting. There are some characters who I really enjoy and are just passively funny with their characterization (bajoran security guy and cat medic, to name two).

The part I'm finding really hard to get on board with is, what I'll describe as the show being "aggressive". There's some subtle jokes, and then there's the bulk of the jokes -- incredibly loud and in your face at how wacky the current situation is. The main four (although really it seems like the Mariner and Boimler show) are so over the top in their basic "schtick" I'm going to call it, that at times I was hoping they would just shut up for a second. Episodes have interesting plots happening and it feels like every time something interesting is happening, one of the main characters has to open their mouth and loudly do a bit about how they're either so kick rear end and they're going to kick everyone in the face, or such a sad sack and no one's following the rules. I found it really distracting from what's going on.

It feels odd thinking back to TNG and DS9 and how many scenes there are in those shows of just two people hanging around and having a nice normal slow conversation. Lower Decks feels like it's being played back at 1.5x speed in comparison, and I guess it has to be to cram as much plot in to the short time it has.

I don't think it's bad, I think it has room to improve. I can see why people like it, and I think it has some funny parts in there, along with a greater understanding and admiration of star trek. That being said I'm not sure I'm ever going to really enjoy watching it, and I'll probably wait for the rest of the season to wrap and binge through those (unless it's only an 8 episode run in which case gently caress me I'm binging one episode).

Here are some show notes I took, spoilered because they're rough and I can't expect everyone to be interested in them:

episode 1 "the one with the second contact":
- god I wish they'd just shut the gently caress up for a second or two
- is mariner's whole deal that she's an unbearable rear end in a top hat?
- the name dropping thing at the end is really annoying

6/10

episode 2 "the one with the drunk klingon":
- the mariner boimler dynamic is just going to be this same thing repeated every episode, isn't it?
- I think I would enjoy this show a lot more if every main character just never said a single word
- it really bugs me that mariner set up the ferengi thing

6/10

episode 3 "the one with the crystals":
- guess it's time for mariner to go around kung fu kick her way out of a situation again
- the first officer is an rear end in a top hat, the captain is an rear end in a top hat, mariner is an rear end in a top hat, it's an entire ship of assholes
- this captain is incredibly bad at her job, like completely not cut out for command

4/10

episode 4 "the one with officer mariner":
- it feels like each character's schtick just derails the plot
- "united federation of characters" is very good, in fact this whole captain bothering mariner segment is very good
- this green lady is extremely dumb
- and we have to end the episode with mariner being an rear end in a top hat again

6/10

episode 5 "the one with the rich guy's crumbling moon":
- this is an "ex's reunite" isn't it
- yeah it is
- ugh of course, and now mariner is best friends with her

3/10 -- I just really hated this entire romance plotline

episode 6 "the one with clippy":
- a guy is chugging puree from a replicator, I was right, this is a college sitcom set in star trek
- I had a prediction for this new guy from 4 minutes in, but I much much prefer the dumbass thing he did instead lol

3/10

episode 7 "the one with the dog":
- she.........genetically engineered a dog? that seems like a very poor lapse in judgement
- a bit further on in the episode and this really seems like an "ejected from starfleet immediately" kind of lapse in judgement
- the insane asylum patients montage is very cool/good, this show has some creative moments

6/10

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 23, 2020

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

A lot of people seem to be expecting Lower Decks to be an adventure show with light comedic elements. I understand why, because Star Trek is an adventure show at its core, and the only thing people have to compare Lower Decks to, expectation wise, is the Orville.

But that's not what Lower Decks is. Lower Decks is a comedy, really a farce, set in a Star Trek world with light adventure elements. Adjust your expectations accordingly. If you don't feel like Star Trek can ever fill such a role to you, you probably shouldn't watch it, because you pobably won't enjoy it. We live in a hell world anyway, no sense in wasting your time on things that will just make you unhappy.

I think we're seeing the writing get better as the writing staff (and showrunner) gets more in tune with the voices of the characters. This show isn't going to be as funny as Rick and Morty or even Futurama anytime soon, but it's got a talented cast and a whole lot of possibility.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Sep 23, 2020

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

piratepilates posted:

The part I'm finding really hard to get on board with is, what I'll describe as the show being "aggressive". There's some subtle jokes, and then there's the bulk of the jokes -- incredibly loud and in your face at how wacky the current situation is. The main four (although really it seems like the Mariner and Boimler show) are so over the top in their basic "schtick" I'm going to call it, that at times I was hoping they would just shut up for a second. Episodes have interesting plots happening and it feels like every time something interesting is happening, one of the main characters has to open their mouth and loudly do a bit about how they're either so kick rear end and they're going to kick everyone in the face, or such a sad sack and no one's following the rules. I found it really distracting from what's going on.

Definitely agree with this, the show is at its best when it calms the gently caress down just a bit and lets comedy happen within the plot rather than screaming "HEY LOOK AT THIS WE'RE FUNNY RIGHT? FUNNY AND BADASS?"

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I think my biggest problem is when the joke is literally just a name drop. Like Mariner's board of possible explanations had the picture of the salt monster from TOS and that was subtle and funny (imo) because if you've seen the TOS you get it and if not well it's a goofy looking monster anyway. When Mariner named dropped Jellico didn't get much reaction from me besides "why would she even know about that" because there was no joke.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Humerus posted:

I think my biggest problem is when the joke is literally just a name drop. Like Mariner's board of possible explanations had the picture of the salt monster from TOS and that was subtle and funny (imo) because if you've seen the TOS you get it and if not well it's a goofy looking monster anyway. When Mariner named dropped Jellico didn't get much reaction from me besides "why would she even know about that" because there was no joke.

Dude I think you'll find it elitist to expect jokes to have structure or depth. Maybe sometimes a character just makes noises and it's funny and you laugh.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Alchenar posted:

Maybe sometimes a character just makes noises and it's funny and you laugh.

Unironically yes and I don't understand why that seems to get you in such a huff that you need to be sarcastic about it

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Referential humour can be good, or it can be lazy pandering, and I think people have different ideas about where the line between them is drawn.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Humerus posted:

Unless Jellico literally just has a career as a drop in temp captain.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Referential humour can be good, or it can be lazy pandering, and I think people have different ideas about where the line between them is drawn.

Yeah I guess it's this. It's like Mariner suggesting a transporter duplicate was funny to me but if she had named dropped Tom Riker I probably wouldn't have liked it as much.

I love the show though, it's by far the best Trek since Terra Prime and Demons.

Senor Tron posted:

Now see that would have been funny. A flashback to Jellico taking over for one of Mariner's other captains and the crew getting mad about it. I guess the show's not long enough for an extended joke like that though.

Humerus fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 23, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There’s some evidence that she is an Enterprise fan girl

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alchenar posted:

Dude I think you'll find it elitist to expect jokes to have structure or depth. Maybe sometimes a character just makes noises and it's funny and you laugh.

lmfao cry some more

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I though the Jellico thing was dumb and maybe explained away by the fact that she was on the Enterprise at some point, but no one else in the room would know what the gently caress she was talking about unless

Senor Tron posted:

but my favourite theory is now going to be that people typically just have no idea what the gently caress she's talking about.

I also forgot who said it, but if you reframe this show as a sitcom that is actually airing in the 2300s and you're watching it on a starship then it may kind of help set expectations for what kind of show this is. Less of a "it's a new star trek series" but more of a "it's an action sitcom set in modern times" where modern times is the 2300s :3:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 23, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Some of the jokes are "for" the other characters in the show and some of the jokes are "for" the audience.

It's a cartoon and so far it takes itself exactly as seriously as it should imo

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
You just have to accept that literally everyone in the Star Trek universe is an Enterprise fanboy. Everyone gets Mariner’s references because the crew of the Enterprise are basically the 24th century equivalent of the Cardassians Kardashians. Everyone’s obsessed with them and anyone who isn’t still knows a lot about them just through cultural osmosis.

Also, I cannot wait for Lower Decks to do a mirror universe episode. Goatees on everyone. Everything! Replicator goatees!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Badgie will be the only one who’s good.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Mirror Shaxs as just a huge tree-hugging hippie

e: all the women characters have goatees too but Boimler is the only one who finds that strange

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

The Bloop posted:

lmfao cry some more

Umad cry moar! All because someone doesn’t think the thing you like is good. Hostility.

Humerus posted:

Yeah I guess it's this. It's like Mariner suggesting a transporter duplicate was funny to me but if she had named dropped Tom Riker I probably wouldn't have liked it as much.

I love the show though, it's by far the best Trek since Terra Prime and Demons.

Now see that would have been funny. A flashback to Jellico taking over for one of Mariner's other captains and the crew getting mad about it. I guess the show's not long enough for an extended joke like that though.

No but we saw Jellico do that once so as a reward for people who saw TNG we’ll say his name. Please clap.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Super Deuce posted:

Umad cry moar! All because someone doesn’t think the thing you like is good. Hostility.

No but we saw Jellico do that once so as a reward for people who saw TNG we’ll say his name. Please clap.
Complaining about references with a reference that only the terminally online will get.
:golfclap:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Super Deuce posted:

I re-watched TNG recently but I still managed to miss the reference. It didn't change what I thought of the ep overall.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I must say, during my binge of the episodes I didn't find the references to be one of the main issues. There are some annoying references that are just callbacks to the audience about one of the other shows we've watched, but I can only recall it happening a handful of times, and usually not thrown in to each scene.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The only memorable one was "Kirk sundae with Trip Tucker sprinkles" and I can live with it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Super Deuce posted:

:ironicat:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
That wasn’t even a Star Trek reference. Mariner clearly said “Jellicle”. T’Ana goes crazy when there’s no captain on board.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Super Deuce posted:

Yo esp, what’s the status on the thread ban for Son of Aatrek over here?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Phylodox posted:

That wasn’t even a Star Trek reference. Mariner clearly said “Jellicle”. T’Ana goes crazy when there’s no captain on board.

I've a feeling there's a long list of things that would make T'Ana go crazy, but that's just me.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yo esp, what’s the status on the thread ban for Son of Aatrek over here?

Considering I broke no forum rules, and also it was conditioned on me cooling down, why would I be?

And I quoted it because clearly being hostile is okay.

Phylodox posted:

I'm imagining the Star Trek butthole cut, now.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Super Deuce posted:

Considering I broke no forum rules, and also it was conditioned on me cooling down, why would I be?

And I quoted it because clearly being hostile is okay.

evasive maneuvers! pattern Riker Eyeroll!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

evasive maneuvers! pattern Riker Eyeroll!

OH MY GOD WHY ARE YOU SO HOSTILE

REED ALERT

vv --- not in isolation, no --- vv

The Bloop fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 23, 2020

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

fwiw I don't think that was a particularly bad post by El Deuce

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
My Star Trek hot take is the mirror universe should have died with TOS like so much other dumb poo poo we ignore from TOS.
I love TOS though. It's a good place for stupid ideas that don't make any kind of sense.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TomR posted:

My Star Trek hot take is the mirror universe should have died with TOS like so much other dumb poo poo we ignore from TOS.
I love TOS though. It's a good place for stupid ideas that don't make any kind of sense.

I'm mildly amused by the knots that people on all sides of the line tie themselves into to try and rationalize and justify why an entity like the Terran Empire still exists in any capacity operating on the system it did as established by Mirror, Mirror and why it hadn't collapsed into chaos long before it even got to where it was in TOS. At least DS9 was like "Yeah, it's a failed state now because everyone just killed one another and it turns out that's really bad for the basic infrastructure of a civilization."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm mildly amused by the knots that people on all sides of the line tie themselves into to try and rationalize and justify why an entity like the Terran Empire still exists in any capacity operating on the system it did as established by Mirror, Mirror and why it hadn't collapsed into chaos long before it even got to where it was in TOS. At least DS9 was like "Yeah, it's a failed state now because everyone just killed one another and it turns out that's really bad for the basic infrastructure of a civilization."
I kind of hate the Mirror Universe as a thing, but I enjoyed some of what Discovery did with it. Until it lasted several episodes longer than was interesting and just got boring.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Narrative Hook Universe

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I appreciated that they didn’t even try to explain why there is a human Vic in the MU

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

The Mirror Universe is one of those things that should only be done if it can be done well, so obviously Discovery screwed the pooch.

But I maintain that the MU episodes of Enterprise were the best of the series (even if that's damning them by faint praise), and Scott Bakula did a better job as paranoid scenery-chewing psycho Archer than he ever did as bland normal Archer.

And I absolutely respect that the showrunners not only duplicated the cheesy '60s props, but also made all the 22nd century characters act like they were crazy advanced future tech.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Arc Light posted:

The Mirror Universe is one of those things that should only be done if it can be done well, so obviously Discovery screwed the pooch.

But I maintain that the MU episodes of Enterprise were the best of the series (even if that's damning them by faint praise), and Scott Bakula did a better job as paranoid scenery-chewing psycho Archer than he ever did as bland normal Archer.

And I absolutely respect that the showrunners not only duplicated the cheesy '60s props, but also made all the 22nd century characters act like they were crazy advanced future tech.

I love that they didn't just use Enterprise 1701 uniforms in that episode. They used Defiant badges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Phylodox posted:

You just have to accept that literally everyone in the Star Trek universe is an Enterprise fanboy. Everyone gets Mariner’s references because the crew of the Enterprise are basically the 24th century equivalent of the Cardassians Kardashians. Everyone’s obsessed with them and anyone who isn’t still knows a lot about them just through cultural osmosis.

They basically showed that in the flashback where they were gossiping about the latest weird-rear end poo poo that the Enterprise had gotten up to a few weeks ago. Honestly, everyone in starfleet fanboying over the Enterprise kinda makes sense.