Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Drone posted:

The show had like 12 executive producers overpaid assholes milking it, so I'd say "hosed with by someone" is a pretty strong possibility.

Also his dad was dying, he wrote a pretty moving essay about writing Star Trek episodes by his dad's deathbed after a lifetime of watching Star Trek together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol remember when people said "oh, short seasons and internet streaming will mean writers can plan out the most exquisitely written plot arcs"

God we were all so stupid lmao that's definitely a take i regret ever saying or believing

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ramadu posted:

God we were all so stupid lmao that's definitely a take i regret ever saying or believing

I still think it's true, but there's this weird disconnect where writers and producers are applying traditional TV series techniques to short streaming seasons and falling on their faces.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, it's viable when the method is actually applied.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol remember when people said "oh, short seasons and internet streaming will mean writers can plan out the most exquisitely written plot arcs"

It's still true. They can. They just loving didn't

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Kesper North posted:

Also his dad was dying, he wrote a pretty moving essay about writing Star Trek episodes by his dad's deathbed after a lifetime of watching Star Trek together

I have no reason to really have anything against Chabon at all. All indications are that Picard got really and truly hosed With by someone at the last minute and I kinda really doubt it was him.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Imagine making your dream come true and with your own father on his deathbed you are writing the scenarios of things you both enjoy.
The only good thing is that his father didn't see how the producers massacred his work.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Chabon has to have been part of the problem if nothing else because he was posting away on instagram not understanding why people were complaining about the show.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I mean, it's not like there's a ton else he could do if he wants to not get fired from his job.

Like he can't just start apologizing for it when CBS's completely fabricated narrative and literal purchased social media bots keep talking about how amazing Picard is omgallthefeelz.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Chabon wasn't strong enough in this space to stand up for himself is what I assume happened. Kurtzman, Stewart, and Goldsman probably walked all over him whether he realized it or not.

I don't think that Stewart even really knew what was going on week to week, he keeps bringing up Brexit in interviews but I hardly see that in the show.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
There’s actually a good story buried in Picard. Had they just excised all the Borg and Romulan conspiracy nonsense, and just have it be a story about an aging Picard learning to accept he is past his prime and learning to let Data go, it probably would have been pretty drat okay.

But you know, Borg go boom! Incest! Game of Thrones!

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
The second there’s a giant purple space laser opening a portal for monsters to fly out of, you’ve gone full dumb schlock. Which is absolutely fine if you’re making a marvel film that has no pretence of being anything more, but when your trying to do an in-depth serious depressing character study about a old man dealing with the regret and loss suffered throughout his life, it’s just a sign nobody writing it really gave a poo poo.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Pastamania posted:

The second there’s a giant purple space laser opening a portal for monsters to fly out of, you’ve gone full dumb schlock. Which is absolutely fine if you’re making a marvel film that has no pretence of being anything more, but when your trying to do an in-depth serious depressing character study about a old man dealing with the regret and loss suffered throughout his life, it’s just a sign nobody writing it really gave a poo poo.

Also you really need to keep track of what your themes are across the season, lest the moral of your story end up being 'be nice to minorities, or else they'll tap into their inner violence and murder you all'.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drone posted:

The show had like 12 executive producers overpaid assholes milking it, so I'd say "hosed with by someone" is a pretty strong possibility.

I don't think this argument holds water. Look at the opening credits of any episode of Law & Order, or the end credits of TNG or whatever. Between executive producers, co-executive producers, associate producers, assistant producers and the like, you'll easily see a dozen or more names with those titles.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I've come to the sad conclusion that the only thing I enjoyed about Picard was the theme song

Ah well

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Brawnfire posted:

I've come to the sad conclusion that the only thing I enjoyed about Picard was the theme song

Ah well

You didn't enjoy the two former Tal Shiar agents?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
There were a lot of cool things about Picard, they were all just half-assed or left dangling

Romulans, dog, borg recovery project, holo-crew, riker pizza, inclusion of tng and voyager characters

it just all went out with a wet fart

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Seemed to me the show took a sharp turn the minute they introduced Brent Spiner as Soong’s never-before-mentioned-but-totally-canon biological son. I think that’s the point where the show got meddled into oblivion.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Romulan farmers were cool. Rios was cool. Raffi might have been cool and I know her actor was desperate to make the best out of her character but the writers did her dirty. Hugh got done dirty. Seven shouldn't have been on this show unless it was heavily re-written. Other characters were meh.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Timby posted:

I don't think this argument holds water. Look at the opening credits of any episode of Law & Order, or the end credits of TNG or whatever. Between executive producers, co-executive producers, associate producers, assistant producers and the like, you'll easily see a dozen or more names with those titles.
Most of these titles are just for writers with varying degrees of seniority, though. Only a few "producer" credits have any real power. (I sold the TV rights for something that if it gets picked up will entitle me to a "consulting producer" credit, even though my say over the show will be basically zero.)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I like the Romulan farmers because OF COURSE ex-Tal Shiar members would deck out their house like John Wick with phasers and disruptors hidden behind everything and under every piece of furniture. No longer being super spies doesn’t mean they’re no longer super spies.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Bloop posted:

It's still true. They can. They just loving didn't

and they won't lol

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
They even said “oh man this covid thing is giving our writers the time to plan season 2 before it starts shooting!” like it was some novel concept

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Lord Krangdar posted:

If the entire season had been about Picard and Seven trying to help the ex-Borg who were being experimented on by Romulans, that would have fit both characters so much more. I don't understand why they chose to do the Skynet / Mass Effect plot, especially right after season 2 of Discovery did such a similar plot.

You want to talk about similar plots? Think about this:

Disco s1 was set up to be about the Klingon war. Halfway through the season, a twist reveals that the secret bad guy was Lorca and his mirror universe plan the whole time.

Disco s2 was set up to be about section 31 or the red angel doing some bad stuff. Halfway through the season, a twist reveals that the secret bad guy was a rogue AI the whole time.

Picard was set up to be about Romulans hunting androids. Halfway through the season, a twist reveals that the secret bad guy was a super machine empire galaxies away or something.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

MichiganCubbie posted:

You didn't enjoy the two former Tal Shiar agents?

Oh I did enjoy them, they just weren't used really after their introduction and initial purpose, so what's to even really like? It felt like they literally wasted two whole motivated backstories that were plot-pertinent. They hit two over-the-fence home runs but it turned out there were only two balls so they made the rest of the game about going to buy more balls at the ball store.

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 30, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Bloop posted:

There were a lot of cool things about Picard, they were all just half-assed or left dangling

Romulans, dog, borg recovery project, holo-crew, riker pizza, inclusion of tng and voyager characters

it just all went out with a wet fart

Same. It could have been great but just wound up being okay. There have been far worse things done in and under the name of Star Trek though, so I just can't muster the energy to be infinimad about it like so many others can. Hopefully they'll get poo poo sorted out by the time they start working on season two, I don't know. Taste is ultimately subjective and I can stomach Trek being just "middling to okay", at least for a while, if that really is their high water mark.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.

Lister posted:

You want to talk about similar plots? Think about this:

Disco s1 was set up to be about the Klingon war. Halfway through the season, a twist reveals that the secret bad guy was Lorca and his mirror universe plan the whole time.

Disco s2 was set up to be about section 31 or the red angel doing some bad stuff. Halfway through the season, a twist reveals that the secret bad guy was a rogue AI the whole time.

Picard was set up to be about Romulans hunting androids. Halfway through the season, a twist reveals that the secret bad guy was a super machine empire galaxies away or something.

The AI monster thing the androids summons is Control. Also there’ll be some time travel shenanigans to send Georgeou back to Pikes Era to with knowledge of some mcguffin that can stop it. Each show will have a plot involving the crew getting a not-infinity Stone and hiding it somewhere for Disco to use. Yes, even Lower Decks. Picard will actually be about Seven, who will also time travel to the future, possibly with creepy elf ninja dude. Tilly will say a swear word and Michael will burst into tears.

A writer will justify it by saying how a robot named ‘control’, is like, a powerful metaphor for, like, Facebook and stuff man, it’s an epic for our, like, time.

Then Star Trek will go back in the cupboard for another 15 years.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

Oh I did enjoy them, they just weren't used really after their introduction and initial purpose, so what's to even really like? It felt like they literally wasted two whole motivated backstories that were plot-pertinent. They hit two over-the-fence home runs but it turned out there were only two balls so they made the rest of the game about going to buy more balls at the ball store.

They're emblematic of the sheer strangeness surrounding the decisions in making Picard. They spend two episodes developing these supporting characters who are colourful, likeable, and have all the action-spy skills you need for a secret mission into Romulan space and then the moment the actual adventure starts they're left behind and never heard from again. All that time building them up was completely wasted and we instead have to spend an episode getting introduced to Space-Legolas, who is interesting as a single paragraph character concept but then has absolutely nothing done with him.

It's not even that there were good ideas lost in pre-production and the script room, they actually filmed this stuff and then got bored and started filming something else.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Abandoning the far and away best of the new characters was the strangest decision of the entire season.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Meanwhile we spent all that time with Narek and Narissa, who seem to be the result of someone in the writer's room saying "hey, what if we just remade Zuko and Azula from AtLA, but without any of the qualities that made either of those characters interesting or sympathetic?" I also don't understand why they established Narissa as having the "Lt. Rizzo" cover identity, since she never actually uses it after her introduction.

Honestly it feels kinda weird that PIC is getting a second season. The only real throughline PIC had was the mystery of Soji and Data, and everything about that was resolved by the final episode, which means none of the cast really has a reason to hang around with each other anymore. Hell, the ending of the final episode honestly feels like they were expecting the show to be a one-and-done miniseries, but then got the call they were renewed for another season so they hastily rewrote the ending to give them an out so they could continue the show.

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 1, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

Abandoning the far and away best of the new characters was the strangest decision of the entire season.

They weren't sexy enough, they needed younger sexier supporting characters.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Marshal Radisic posted:

Meanwhile we spent all that time with Narek and Narissa, who seem to be the result of someone in the writer's room saying "hey, what if we just remade Zuko and Azula from AtLA, but without any of the qualities that made either of those characters interesting or sympathetic?" I also don't understand why they established Narissa as having the "Lt. Rizzo" cover identity, since she never actually uses it after her introduction.
That was to establish that Romulan intelligence has thoroughly infiltrated Star Fleet intelligence and has cover identities out the wazoo that they can just burn at the drop of a robo-hat. Commodore wossname did it too.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Marshal Radisic posted:

Honestly it feels kinda weird that PIC is getting a second season. The only real throughline PIC had was the mystery of Soji and Data, and everything about that was resolved by the final episode, which means none of the cast really has a reason to hang around with each other anymore. Hell, the ending of the final episode honestly feels like they were expecting the show to be a one-and-done miniseries, but then got the call they were renewed for another season so they hastily rewrote the ending to give them an out so they could continue the show.

I wonder if the original intention was to kill Picard at the end, and decided against it when they got the renewal?

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Zaroff posted:

I wonder if the original intention was to kill Picard at the end, and decided against it when they got the renewal?

It certainly seems like that was the intention. Maybe what they were setting up was similar to the fan-theory that Picard would die and the crew would name the ship Picard and they would go on further space adventures after. You can keep pretty much the whole ending and make Picard the ship's AI or something so Stewart could just do voice acting. I could see CBS executives hearing that idea and telling them that there was no way they were renewing the show without Stewart.

Or, maybe Stewart told them he would only do one season then changed his mind?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

pyrotek posted:

It certainly seems like that was the intention. Maybe what they were setting up was similar to the fan-theory that Picard would die and the crew would name the ship Picard and they would go on further space adventures after. You can keep pretty much the whole ending and make Picard the ship's AI or something so Stewart could just do voice acting. I could see CBS executives hearing that idea and telling them that there was no way they were renewing the show without Stewart.

Or, maybe Stewart told them he would only do one season then changed his mind?
Make Picard the ship's AI, who appears as a face on a screen.

And as a hologram.

And as a perfect android replica who can go on adventures with the crew - wait, this sounds familiarly Roddenberryish.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Wow, that's the first time I thought of Andromeda since about two minutes after the show ended.

Andromeda had an even more tragic disparity between its potential and the final product. Even Picard didn't have that kind of gulf.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Payndz posted:

Make Picard the ship's AI, who appears as a face on a screen.

And as a there is hologram, you can tell which crew member it is by the big H on his head.

And as a perfect an android replica who can go on adventures with the crew - wait, this sounds familiarly Roddenberryish.

and lister is there too

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Arc Light posted:

Wow, that's the first time I thought of Andromeda since about two minutes after the show ended.

Andromeda had an even more tragic disparity between its potential and the final product. Even Picard didn't have that kind of gulf.
Andromeda was just starting to come together and get interesting and reveal that it was building towards some bigger, long-term plot arcs... then Sorbo went to the studio and said "This show should be entirely about me - I mean, my character - being cool and awesome and kicking rear end and having all the other characters say how amazing I am - I mean, my character is." And the execs nodded and went "you're the star, Kevin, whatever you want". And that was the end of that.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Goodness me this weeks Lower Decks is exceptional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

J33uk posted:

Goodness me this weeks Lower Decks is exceptional.

i'm still in the middle of it but the early scene with da vinci skeetshooting on the holodeck was fun

edit: oh goddammit only one more episode :(

Crusader fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Oct 1, 2020