Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Burnham is going to Make Starfleet Great Again

e: actually the crew of the Discovery should be super disillusioned with the Federation right now. Season 1 ended with Starfleet sanctioning a genocide, the premise of Season 2 is that Starfleet's Black-Ops-yet-somehow-a-whole-shadow-fleet operation made an AI that tried to kill all life. The Federation in Discovery is actually more hosed up than the Mirror Universe, at least the Terran Empire didn't accidentally almost Kill All Life.

e2: oh also the federation faked video footage to accuse her step brother of murder for leverage.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Darmok and Jalad
When the Ham burned

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Alchenar posted:

Burnham is going to Make Starfleet Great Again

e: actually the crew of the Discovery should be super disillusioned with the Federation right now. Season 1 ended with Starfleet sanctioning a genocide, the premise of Season 2 is that Starfleet's Black-Ops-yet-somehow-a-whole-shadow-fleet operation made an AI that tried to kill all life. The Federation in Discovery is actually more hosed up than the Mirror Universe, at least the Terran Empire didn't accidentally almost Kill All Life.

e2: oh also the federation faked video footage to accuse her step brother of murder for leverage.

if any of this is ever addressed again instead of just being ignored like all the other incredibly dumb bullshit they put in this show by laziness/idiocy/accident, it will be as a prelude to Burnham saying “that was a long time ago” and then shedding a tear

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Alchenar posted:

Season 2 Discovery onwards is "What if Doctor Who had a gun?"
What if, indeed?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I just saw the new episode, I liked their megaman busters, it's about time.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

No you didn't

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I haven't done a cry count but what I read them as is less "Burnham is too emotional" and more "the show focuses far too much on Burnham specifically," which is a complaint that's also been outright stated by other users. Not to mention it seems like a lot of the rest of the cast seems to take a sideline, emotional expression-wise. Like, with Airiam, they put some effort into showing her emotional state, but mostly what I remember from that scene is Burnham's reactions, not Airiam's.

Not defending the cry count thing, you make a valid point, just commenting.

It's not that her having emotions is the problem, it's that they loving never give her any range except crying all the time. It's bad directing/writing. It was great to see her on the happy drugs getting to emote something other than screamcrying.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I don’t think it’s just that she’s one note. She’s done things that weren’t crying before. It’s just that she’s the only note the show has, and they play her loudly and repeatedly. People are counting the crying because she cries a lot to the point where it’s funny.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

blastron posted:

I liked basically everything except the body count in that fight and how okay Burnham was with it. I feel like she, an idealist from a brighter time, should have asked Booker “do these have a stun setting”. Then Booker could have said “how old-fashioned” and vaporized a dude and we’d have the same fight. Maybe it was in but got cut for pacing reasons? I don’t know.

They did a really good job of setting up plot beats. Book was established as having life-related powers when he did the trick with the plant so it didn’t feel like an asspull when he did it to the worm. Burnham spent a good thirty seconds of screen time at the start of the episode going over her name and rank so when she identified herself to Sahil it wasn’t jarring that she just spouted her serial number off the top of her head. This is a lot more care than I remember seeing in S1 and S2 so I’m hopeful that script quality will be higher overall.

Do we know for sure they were killed? It's the super-future, maybe those guns just obliterwarp them away to be reconstructed for a fee or something. Could be useful to have a way to not stun someone, but not kill them either, and instead blow them into dust that gets neatly rematerialized elsewhere in a secure place. That way you don't just kill someone who might know something you want to know, or have them welch on debts, or just don't wanna murder. I know they're not going to do that, but they could it's super-future!!

The body count did feel a bit trying-to-be-videogame/action-movie. It's also a megaman buster so you know the power level varies. Did she blast anyone to dust, she's clearly high and not an expert at megamans, probably charged too long if she did dust anyone.

The Bloop posted:

I don't see why the serial number was relevant anyway

I guess, remember those trials in TOS? is about it

I thought they were doing that at first to just hammer-in her name to the audience and was glad they at least tried to pay it off. It doesn't actually seem like that guy even tried to look for it or knows how. You'd think the ship coding itself may have tipped off it's from another era or something. Then again he is just some dude who lives in some ruins hoping his initiative will get him a job someday so maybe he didn't have the login info for the good computer functions.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
She’s been in some pretty traumatic and upsetting experiences, I think I understand why she would cry.

1) She thought Saru was dying.
2) Seeing her estranged step-brother in a comatosed state.
3) After ejecting a cyborg member of the crew into space.
4) Hearing that her dead mom is still alive.
4b) Meeting her mom who she thought was dead for two decades.
4c) Having the mom get sent back to a future which shouldn't exist anymore thus erasing her from time.
5) Saying goodbye to Amanda and Sarek, and Tyler.

A lot of it is related to her traumatic childhood from Vulcan's worst dad.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's been a long, hosed-up road to world's oldest highest ranking starfleet officer

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Alchenar posted:

There's no way I'm going back to watch it again to confirm, but if I remember right, it was Control that faked that footage because it knew that Spock was going to be connected to its destruction or some poo poo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean yeah she’s went through bad things but she’s not real. They wrote her like that, which is what people are complaining about.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Khanstant posted:

The mega man blasters look goofy, but they could be crazy sci-fi poo poo like maybe they have anti-grav and inertial dampers built in so they are super lightweight but can also stabilise your aim.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I was being sincere when I said that. Normal guns looks goofy, like holding a little sesame street L or F the wrong way. Guns shouldn't have the same kind of handle as a knife or a sword. Have you ever tried to draw a gun? They're just awful, there's nothing worse in the world to draw than guns, I'd rather draw a ferrari than a gun. Now a megaman buster? Well hell yeah, that's fun to draw and anyone can do it.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I notice that they do mention Strange New Worlds but don't mention the Section 31 show in terms of starting production.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

if section 31 is a casualty of *gestures broadly*, I don’t think anyone will care - maybe one day someone will tell an interesting story about having to make the Hard Choices in space but I doubt it was gonna be that show

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
This video is awesome.
https://twitter.com/RexChapman/status/1317241249909428224

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Crusader posted:

if section 31 is a casualty of *gestures broadly*, I don’t think anyone will care - maybe one day someone will tell an interesting story about having to make the Hard Choices in space but I doubt it was gonna be that show

I'm 10000% down for Michelle Yeoh headlining a Star Trek show, even Evil Space rear end in a top hat Michelle Yeoh in a show where she makes all the Evil Space rear end in a top hat From Mass Effect choices, but Section-31? Oooof. That ain't it, hoss.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Crusader posted:

Yeah I have very little interest after what they have done on Disco with S31

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I can find the S31 to be entertaining if it's weekly heist missions run by Georgiou crewed Suicide Squad style where completing mission reduces sentences.
Bring back Mudd and (Prime?) Lorca somehow and you have a great cast.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

xerxus posted:

I can find the S31 to be entertaining if it's weekly heist missions run by Georgiou crewed Suicide Squad style where completing mission reduces sentences.
Bring back Mudd and (Prime?) Lorca somehow and you have a great cast.

Sad part is, I don't trust the current crop of folks in charge of running Live Action Trek to pull off as great a concept as that. Mike McMahan, maybe. But fuuuuck, that's actually a fun concept.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Was my mind playing tricks on me or (Disco S3 trailer spoiler) wasn't Michelle Yeoh in the trailer at the end of the season premier of Disco? How is she gonna show up in 3188 if she has her own Section 31 show? Or is she gonna show up and refuse to answer any questions about how she got there, instead turning to wink at the camera and saying "actually, that's a story for another time!"

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

DrNutt posted:

Was my mind playing tricks on me or (Disco S3 trailer spoiler) wasn't Michelle Yeoh in the trailer at the end of the season premier of Disco? How is she gonna show up in 3188 if she has her own Section 31 show? Or is she gonna show up and refuse to answer any questions about how she got there, instead turning to wink at the camera and saying "actually, that's a story for another time!"

Not really a spoiler but she was onboard Discovery at the end of season 2

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

Gaj posted:

I may have missed it even on a second watch, but was there any back story to the attendant and how he got there? Like he just sat there for how long looking for ships to do what?

Book sarcastically calls him a "true believer" and he's essentially cargo culting the Federation because his family has done it for generations. Other "Federation" ships do exist in his little sector he oversees, two of them apparently, but we can assume they're also crewed by what are essentially cultists, pleasant though Sahil is, bearing the torch for a dead entity. The long range communications have been dead for long enough that what he sees is all he knows. Coming face to face with a real life Starfleet officer from elsewhere must have been like meeting a god, or a legendary hero.

e: he's like the bureaucrat version of that world war 2 soldier who was lost in the jungle and refused to believe the war was over until his commander told him to stand down. But, like, in a positive way.

Zutaten fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 17, 2020

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Wheezle posted:

I think the real question is how does she get back to whatever time her show takes place. Unless it's section 31 in the 32nd century. Which would make no sense.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The 3188 officer in the trailer had a black leathery uniform

Section 31 has arcane rules possibly including rank/station by seniority

Georgiou is now the head of S31 in 3188

BOOM

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm 10000% down for Michelle Yeoh headlining a Star Trek show, even Evil Space rear end in a top hat Michelle Yeoh in a show where she makes all the Evil Space rear end in a top hat From Mass Effect choices, but Section-31? Oooof. That ain't it, hoss.

I'd be 10000% down for doing some sort of retcon thing where they use a time traveling mind copier device to download the mind of Captain Philippa Georgiou from the past into and overwriting the Evil Space rear end in a top hat version so they could resurrect her. She deserved better than to be killed and eaten by Klingons.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
It was okay, not as bad as I expected but not as good as I had hoped.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

It was okay, not as bad as I expected but not as good as I had hoped.
Yeah it was alright but I am really not thrilled by the reveal of what The Burn is. It just seems very dumb and I am sure that the explanation will be even dumber.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

echoplex posted:

(we'll gloss over the fact they're impossible to aim)

aimbots are legal in Star Fleet oddly

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

pik_d posted:

I think the real question is how does she get back to whatever time her show takes place. Unless it's section 31 in the 32nd century. Which would make no sense.

Unspoiling this isn't it isn't one, but why do you think Section 31 wouldn't be in the 32nd century? It's such a strangely common view.

The ongoing thing with Georgiou that they emphasized in season 2 is that no matter how much she pretends otherwise she genuinely cares about Burnham and sees her as daughter figure. So what seems more likely, her founding or working with a future Section 31 to protect the New Federation from the shadows in ways her naive daughter won't, which means she can show up in more of Discovery any time they feel like it or... traveling to the past to... work for Ash Tyler in 2258, separated from the only major plotline she's had to date with no ability to revisit it?

Even before the reveal that time travel is no longer possible her going back would be the thing that doesn't make sense

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Section 3188

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I've thought for a long time now that the Section 31 show talk is covering for something else, but now Strange New Worlds has been announced I dunno.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Wheezle posted:

Oh okay I remember that now, I had just forgotten that they didn't have time to drop her off with Ash or whatever.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Senor Tron posted:

I've thought for a long time now that the Section 31 show talk is covering for something else, but now Strange New Worlds has been announced I dunno.

We're in a prequel death spiral and her show is going to be about the Shenzouh before the events of Star Trek: Discovery season one.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I just realized, after Discovery s3 we are going to have a long wait for more Star Trek. I guess after S3 the most likely show to be next is Lower Decks s2.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I will say its weird how much faith Burnham has in the Federation. In our journey she has been:

- Thrust into a kidnapping plot
- Sentenced to life on a penal colony
- Press-ganged by an evil alt dimension guy
- Fought a war
- Blackmailed an empire
- Witnessed space-CIA gaslighting & abducting her brother
- Fought an evil AI that controlled space-CIA
- Served aboard a ship with Cannibal Space Hitler From Another Dimension (who looks like her old captain)

Pretty much any positive feelings she might have for the Federation are offscreen, referenced. The absence of stress relief episodes like the other series' had has the effect of making their setting a very dreary place that you wouldnt expect them to have much love for.

And yet her first reaction to ending up in a place with a modestly sized city and being told there's no Federation is "poo poo, we need to recreate that". Feel like that should have been saved for like, Episode 4 after getting a better taste of what life sans-Federation is like.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 17, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
My thoughts on STD S03:

• kitty :3:

Gonz posted:

Section 3188

The 31 words :hitler:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Why do I get the feeling the Starfleet Charter, Article 14, Section 31 just says "gently caress you." in a bullet point?