Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

sticklefifer posted:

At some point society hit a groove where just because some cartoons were being made for adults, they decided all children's cartoons were for adults too.

Adults can enjoy whatever they want for whatever reason. It's one of the better things about being an adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Snow Cone Capone posted:

First shot of the Prodigy cast looks uh....

Thanks. I hate it.

Also lmao at all of the pages one twitter shitpost generated

(yes I read them all :negative: )

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Thought about Fat Data today lol

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Nitrousoxide posted:

Ah yeah, that's it. It was kind of a mix between Farscape and Voyager with terrible production values but I definitely remember watching nearly every episode.

I bet we'll get something similar here with the alien kids being whisked away by this derelict federation ship and a Janeway hologram being their mentor.

I thought initially you might be talking about Ulysses 31 where bar one, all the ships adults are held in stasis by an angry Greek god. Intro is kickin rad too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N50XnT9206w

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Arquinsiel posted:

Adults can enjoy whatever they want for whatever reason. It's one of the better things about being an adult.

I didn't say you couldn't enjoy it, but complaining about things that weren't designed or created for you or even with you in mind is like complaining that the can of dog food you're eating tastes terrible.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

sticklefifer posted:

I didn't say you couldn't enjoy it, but complaining about things that weren't designed or created for you or even with you in mind is like complaining that the can of dog food you're eating tastes terrible.

Yeah, I'm not going to complain about it. If it's good enough to be watchable as an adult that would be neat, but if it's just for kids and dumb, whatever. It's not supposed to be Lower Decks.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've got no hate for it, it's a kid's show and all, but lol at them going right down the list of Dreamworks cliches for their character designs. Given there's zero recognizable Star Trek species, nevermind a sentient robot, I can't help but wonder if someone pitched Prodigy as its own sci-fi property and got the Star Trek brand slapped on it.

That blue blob is clearly the same species as Yaphit. :colbert:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The blue blob looks like the guy who just did a huge purge and caused a refugee crisis in my current Stellaris campaign.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Tars Tarkas posted:

It's FTL the series, each episode everyone dies but little by little the kids get better over the season and can eventually fight the rebel flagship

Remember the DS9 episode of a bunch of cadets who take over a starship because all the adults died and try to carry out their mission. They do a typical star trek plot with typical star trek technobabble and it looks like they just barely succeeded, then they all died as miserable failures?

That's pretty much FTL already isn't it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

That blue blob is clearly the same species as Yaphit. :colbert:

The big one looks to be a redraw of Baymax.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Snow Cone Capone posted:

First shot of the Prodigy cast looks uh....

I hope the big rocky looking one is actually a helium balloon boi from a gas giant planet, and he only weighs like 20 pounds. You think he's gonna be a tough guy, but if the throws a punch he just bounces off and rolls away.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

STO giving us a better look at the Voyager-J

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf5mX_fFqHc

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Remember to close the ship when you're done.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

STO giving us a better look at the Voyager-J

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf5mX_fFqHc

It's kinda sad that the V-J looks more detailed and believable in a video game than it did on the actual TV show...

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

But how's the turbolift cavern? We have to use most of the ships internal space for the elevator after all.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wasn't there a series on Nickelodeon in the '90s or the early 00's about a ship full of kids that's got lost in space? I think there were adults on board but they couldn't operate the ship for some reason?

This is my biggest problem with the new ST thing. Nickelodeon has a show with the same premise already, they could have just remade that. It's just another show getting Star Trek painted on it when it could have just been a show.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Matlock posted:

This is my biggest problem with the new ST thing. Nickelodeon has a show with the same premise already, they could have just remade that. It's just another show getting Star Trek painted on it when it could have just been a show.

You can't possibly know that yet

:cmon:

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

The Bloop posted:

You can't possibly know that yet

:cmon:

I'm looking at six kids, none of which are a Star Trek thing. I know it like 20% more than the last time I said it. I expect this trend to continue.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Spanish Matlock posted:

I'm looking at six kids, none of which are a Star Trek thing. I know it like 20% more than the last time I said it. I expect this trend to continue.
Rockboy is possibly an Excalbian.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arquinsiel posted:

Rockboy is possibly an Excalbian.
I still think the guy second from the left looks similar to the modern version of the Tellarites.

Everyone else, who knows.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
They’re all the newest iterations of Klingons

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I still think the guy second from the left looks similar to the modern version of the Tellarites.

Everyone else, who knows.

He's totally a Talaxian. All tufty and scruffy and spotty.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Odds on tentaclehead being a helmetless Breen?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Great Beer posted:

Odds on tentaclehead being a helmetless Breen?
That's neon goo slug. Breen are actually always wearing full humanoid exosuits.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
I'm sure it'll be a serviceable fun cartoon that I won't give a poo poo about because I'm not 12 years old anymore, but man, those kids are going to be in for a shock when they stick 'Star Trek' into YouTube expecting clips of the fun show they watched on Nickelodeon and end up at Seven of Nine PTSD-drinking after witnessing Icheb get his eye ripped out it's socket.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pastamania posted:

I'm sure it'll be a serviceable fun cartoon that I won't give a poo poo about because I'm not 12 years old anymore, but man, those kids are going to be in for a shock when they stick 'Star Trek' into YouTube expecting clips of the fun show they watched on Nickelodeon and end up at Seven of Nine PTSD-drinking after witnessing Icheb get his eye ripped out it's socket.

Eh, these days when you plug "Star Trek" into YouTube, you're more than likely to find an endless stream of angry dipshit nerds with ZZ Top beards and urinal helmets screaming into a camera about how women and people of colour existing in their Star Treks makes them mad and insults Gene's Vision long before you ever make it to any actual clips of Star Trek of any stripe.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

On YouTube you'll get "nerds performatively angry about Star Trek to sell ebooks" then "nerds angry about Star Trek for other reasons" followed by several hundred random clips of 90s Trek uploaded in 2007 at 240p, dozens of ten-hour warp core ASMR videos, the folks doing bad/unnecessary CG replacements, the people basically reading Memory Alpha articles over stock footage and calling them "lore explainers," edits of Mark Twain grunting, goofy commercials from the 80s featuring Trek actors, old LPs of bad video games, and then at the very end, if the algorithm feels like it that day, you might get the neutral-to-positive critical analysis and video essayists who actually have something to say.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

From my recent Trek searches, you just get a bunch of people talking about and arguing about ships and ship classes and explaining things like "The Dominion" or "The Wormhole Aliens" or "Space". Keep scrolling and then you get the angry "Women ruin everything!" guys with names like SEXFUCKER4REAL, but they'll be higher if you ever searched for anything video game related in the past three days.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I just subscribed to Junkball Media and never searched for Star Trek again.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Tars Tarkas posted:

Keep scrolling and then you get the angry "Women ruin everything!" guys with names like SEXFUCKER4REAL,
Nah, the ones with the super edgy tirades are always "TheVoiceOfReason" or TheREALTruth" like they're a shining beacon sitting on some untold treasure trove of social information that everyone would accept if they'd JUST LISTEN.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

sticklefifer posted:

Nah, the ones with the super edgy tirades are always "TheVoiceOfReason" or TheREALTruth" like they're a shining beacon sitting on some untold treasure trove of social information that everyone would accept if they'd JUST LISTEN.

Mixed in with some good old fashioned insufferable gatekeeping from folks with channel names like "TheRealTrekFan" or "TrueNerdsONLY" who would like you to know that things were actually only ever good like 20 years ago and modern cultural mores and stylistic tastes have ruined everything and people who like current things will never actually be REAL FANS like you and me.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
all i get when i search for "star trek" on youtube are some of the best videos of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rYMykaNW6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhhb3tpOyzE

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Vasukhani posted:

all i get when i search for "star trek" on youtube are some of the best videos of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rYMykaNW6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhhb3tpOyzE

I think these two are my favoruites

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIxeTsUQnsk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgO6D-bZXDs

God, I still can't believe that the guy who made these is also the same dude who gave the world Homestuck too.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Pic-art is still the best thing.

https://youtu.be/29-iFOEOgIM

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

New Star Trek Paramount+ teaser, including a possible first look at Prodigy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq1Wmfr4XKQ

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nice deceptive use of HD DS9 re-render at 1 minute.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Technowolf posted:

I did not entirely hate DISCO. My reaction to this trailer is: Fuuuuuuuuuuck Yooooooooooou

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Narrator: A future of peace and unity or whatever the poo poo they said
*cool shot of Space Hitler*

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Nice deceptive use of HD DS9 re-render at 1 minute.

god damnit I was so excited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Technowolf posted:

I appreciate it’s the Doom Times, but why was the VO recorded in a cupboard?