Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Astroman posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, TATV, at least the Riker parts, would have made a great midseason "event" episode, a fanservice ratings grabber. If they had done that and ended with Terra Prime, TATV would have been as fondly remembered as Trials and Tribbelations or the Sulu ep on Voyager. :colbert:

Maybe if they didn't kill off Trip. Or add a line "That was the first time he died, but then..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tars Tarkas posted:

Maybe if they didn't kill off Trip. Or add a line "That was the first time he died, but then..."

"Wow Riker; How'd you gently caress up playing so badly you got Trip killed?"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tars Tarkas posted:

Killing Trip was pointless and spiteful and seemed aimed squarely at Manny Coto by Brannon Braga because Trip really came into his own and became a fan favourite under Coto's stewardship. You remove Trip's death and These Are The Voyages... suddenly goes from "pretty lovely" to "alright" as both a finale and a general Enterprise episode. Because from what I recall, I don't think Coto and Braga left Enterprise on good terms and didn't patch things up until they started working together on 24 a few years later. I might be wrong though.

It's incredibly telling that the first thing they did in the official Enterprise novels was go "Yeah, Trip faked his death because Harris recruited him to run a deep cover op in Romulan territory for Section 31 and they needed plausible deniability, so, *zap!*"

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 17, 2021

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Astroman posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, TATV, at least the Riker parts, would have made a great midseason "event" episode, a fanservice ratings grabber. If they had done that and ended with Terra Prime, TATV would have been as fondly remembered as Trials and Tribbelations or the Sulu ep on Voyager. :colbert:

No, it wouldn't, because beyond the fact that it feels like a TNG episode with the Enterprise cast as guest stars, the script just sucks out loud.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Timby posted:

No, it wouldn't, because beyond the fact that it feels like a TNG episode with the Enterprise cast as guest stars, the script just sucks out loud.

The concept would have been alright as a mid season episode, but that would still have made it a copy of that good voyager doctor episode.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Picard filming! That’s apparently the same actor who played the android on Mars in S1.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

Picard filming! That’s apparently the same actor who played the android on Mars in S1.

What the hell is Telly Savalas wearing?

Edit: on no.... are they doing Mirror Picard?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Retrowave Joe posted:

What the hell is Telly Savalas wearing?

Edit: on no.... are they doing Mirror Picard?

I mean... They wouldn't, right? That'd be a nuclear banger to drop on Short Treks though

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Nah, that’s just some vaguely Romulan outfit.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

Picard joined the Psi Corps :(

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cross-Section posted:

Picard joined the Psi Corps :(

Worth it if it results in an Alfred Bester cameo

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Those space fascists and their shiny jackboots, I swear

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Kesper North posted:

Those space fascists and their shiny jackboots, I swear

Sir Pat: "I want to dress up as a... future Nazi this season"

Entire writer's room: :getin:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It does look vaguely Romulan. Particularly with the sash thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Do you remember how the first season pulls from Mass Effect 1?

Remember how in Mass Effect 2 it's about having to work with the deranged bad-guy cult to get the job done?...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
oh for gently caress’s sake it’s a single set photo of a costume you can’t even see clearly

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I buy it as Romulan. It has shoulder pads.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

I guess my av is the only one who remembers the robits.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

oh for gently caress’s sake it’s a single set photo of a costume you can’t even see clearly

Oh I'm more than happy to be proven wrong on this by the show, I just don't have high hopes for it happening.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Mirror Picard gonna meet mirror Georgiou.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They didn't pull it off, but... I can see what they were going for.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
So they moved away from big pillowy checkered tweed grey uniforms to black and leather for Romulans?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

So they moved away from big pillowy checkered tweed grey uniforms to black and leather for Romulans?

Turns out it was the one aspect of Shinzon’s administration that everyone actually liked, so they just kept it :v:

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Aren't those synths illegal now? So it's either a flashback or he's visiting this synth somewhere hidden, which might explain why he's wearing all black (?)

I mean nobody expected something as on-the-nose as a literal pith helmet and British Colony uniform in S1 so "black = SECRET MISSION" doesn't seem incredibly far-fetched to me

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Aren't those synths illegal now? So it's either a flashback or he's visiting this synth somewhere hidden, which might explain why he's wearing all black (?)

I mean nobody expected something as on-the-nose as a literal pith helmet and British Colony uniform in S1 so "black = SECRET MISSION" doesn't seem incredibly far-fetched to me

Shouldn't Picard be disassembled now too?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
It’s possible the new season will deal with the Federation reconsidering the synth ban, especially now that one of its most famous and beloved Starfleet officers is technically now a synth. Picard would obviously be a very vocal proponent for synth rights even aside from his own nature.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Didn't they straight-up lift the synth ban at the end of the first season? I think there was exactly one (1) line about it somewhere between Data becoming quantum dust and Seven finding herself a new girlfriend.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
poo poo, yeah apparently it was mentioned as being lifted in the finale. I completely forgot.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Delsaber posted:

Didn't they straight-up lift the synth ban at the end of the first season? I think there was exactly one (1) line about it somewhere between Data becoming quantum dust and Seven finding herself a new girlfriend.
Yes they did

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Azhais posted:

Worth it if it results in an Alfred Bester cameo

The non-canon autobiography of Picard had Chekhov as head of Starfleet intelligence.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I guess I assumed that a) the Utopia Planitia synths were long-gone and b) despite lifting the ban they would not necessarily immediately go back to making more identical synths, but :shrug: it is Picard

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Maybe they just put them all in a box?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

'and the lesson we learned from all of this is that actually robot slavery is okay'

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Rome owned but if it had a Dragon or Dungeon or two it would've gone on more than 2ish seasons.

I mean it did have a sex dungeon at one point

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm sure you've seen Krull, but if not, that is an EXTREMELY D&D movie, IIRC it was going to be an official D&D movie briefly very early on in its production. But like, 70s/early 80s fantasy so like gently caress yeah, wizards, dudes with laser rifles, castle spaceships, all good.

I mean if we're going there, there are literal D&D movies.

They're pretty terrible, but they exist. There's also stuff like Gamers: Dorkness Rising I guess.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Alchenar posted:

'and the lesson we learned from all of this is that actually robot slavery is okay'
I mean technically the Romulans Were Right All Along, since as predicted the synths did try to unleash cyber-Cthulhu before Picard stopped them.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
The Romulans didn't predict anything correctly, they were literally responsible for every "Synths are dangerous" incident in the story.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Alchenar posted:

I mean, they already did sentient hologram mining slaves in Voyager as I remember it? And anyway, the synths seemed like they didn't have much sentience anyway, so the slavery wasn't really worse than Number One.

Also that guy is definitely a synth as shown, so we are getting some plot about the old synths being reactivated somehow.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alchenar posted:

Hey remember the outcome of The Measure of a Man, where they specifically laid precedent down to prevent occurring one day should someone work out how to make more sentient androids like Data?

No?

Hello?

Oh... :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hey remember the outcome of The Measure of a Man, where they specifically laid precedent down to prevent occurring one day should someone work out how to make more sentient androids like Data?

No?

Hello?

Oh... :ohdear:

Just program the new androids to be unable to ask for their rights. Just like Data was programmed to not be able to use contractions*. Easy peasy, legal precedent neatly avoided.

* Unless Spiner accidentally let one slip through, of course