Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
How had no one pointed out the episode stole a front page joke from 2006?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Eagerly awaiting whatever dumbass political event/galaxy-spanning terror #473 is "the Burn" that caused the Federation to fall apart the galaxy to take a hard left :rolleyes:

I'm excited to see the crew get more screentime, but other than that...I dunno. And I've been the resident Disco Apologist since S1.

I hope the Burn is a the collapse of Warp space for like a couple of hundred years.

Also everyone on the Discovery should get there asses hand to them in every fight.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

HD DAD posted:

Drunken Disco speculation. Spoilered just in case.

Sahil mentions not knowing “how much of the Federation is out there”. Book casually drops that the Gorn had hosed up subspace. The season finale is titled “Outside”. What if we’re in some kind of territory of space that is absolutely wrecked, where both warp and long range communications are either unreliable or impossible. This area could be huge. However, the Burn could be a red herring of some sort, and there’s an outside force trying to keep this section of the galaxy cut off from the greater whole. Discovery pops up with its spore drive, bands everyone in this patch of space together, defeats the bad guy, and suddenly...the Federation is still there. Super alive and kicking and bigger than ever, and they’re really happy to have us back.

Could be super dumb but hey

This better be the plot

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Grand Fromage posted:

To be fair, Star Trek has never known anything about the military, all the way back to TOS. It's not really a Disco thing.

I always feel that Star Trek bases it’s rank off 18th century British naval ships where a Leutient could become a ship’s Captain just because and maybe they use the Post/Captain system which is why Picard whose been a Captain for 20 years can also command a fleet as a Commodore

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Legit question for Star Trek nerds, have Kirk, Picard, Janeway, etc., ever actually suffered lasting consequences from disobeying Starfleet or the Federation?

Saru's actions, while dissapointing, seem pretty standard Star Trek fare.

Both Kirk and Picard were both basically forced out but they are realistically to famous in the Federation/known universe wide to really be punished for anything.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
No one gives Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway or even Archer the poo poo they give Burnham is SMG is just as not of an actor of any of them, plus they keep putting Yeoh, Irons and Jones does her no favours.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I hate the mirror universe

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Facebook Aunt posted:

They went to scan an array or something. The ship couldn't scan it so Burnham volunteered to do a spacewalk and promised to be quick because of radiation or something. Burnham hosed up her spacewalk and landed on the klingon ship. Then she stayed on the ship long enough for the torchbearer to come out and defend in in honourable 1v1 combat. He died, leading to the crazy klingon cultists sending out the bat signal to all klingons that their holy whatever was under attack. Other klingons come. Burnham checks with her dad to see how Vulcans manage the klingons, he says they attacked all the time until the klingons asked for peace. So she tells G to attack, G says gently caress no. Burnham commits mutiny but fails. More klingons show up. There is a dumb battle, G is killed and her ship destroyed. More importantly, krafty klingons learn about the crazy cultists cloaking device and pretend to join the crusade to get their hands on that technology. Cloaking devices become widespread in the klingon fleets, putting the Federation at a huge disadvantage in the war.

So, what could she have done differently?

1. Not go solo into the weird radiation to get a closer look. or
2. Make it a quick check like she said, if she isn't pushing her luck she doesn't crash into the cloaked ship. or
3. Leave as soon as she finds the ship, because she is not prepared for a long solo mission.

The torchbearer doesn't die, the cultists don't send the bat signal, the rest of the klingon empire continues infighting and doesn't get cloaks. Everybody on the Shenzou lives, and there is no war.

There is still the mystery of the array that went down and some weird radiation so maybe someone competent should look into that.

G not being willing to attack on the word of the Vulcan Ambassador made me turn off discovery and not watch till season 2 (I’ve seen watch season 1). If the Vulcan Ambassador says the only way to deal with Kilingon is strength then maybe take his advice idiots.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Infidelicious posted:

My votes for a new Q are Anna Kendrick or Aubrey Plaza. Cuz they got chaotic bisexual energy and decent comic timing. Also if you're gonna go different vibe then John DeLacie, might as well go way different.

You said different vibe, not same vibe.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Scotty did hold commands, they just where not Starship commands. He oversaw the Constitution refit and the development of the Excsolor class and was more then likely dockmaster of the Starbase in Earth.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Basically every Hong Kong action movie she ever did. She’s just wasted on Discovery because the writing for her character is garbage and no one knows how to shoot a proper action sequence.

You should see the tv show the Equalizer if you want to see badly shoot action.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Is it weird that every Paramount Plus video I see has Mount front and center like we know this is what you want and we are working with on it.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Gonz posted:

Please have Kurtwood Smith play the Federation President.

Again.

Every generation of Star Trek show must feature that man playing no fewer than 2 or 3 different roles.

John De Lance and just never explain it.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Azhais posted:

Worth it if it results in an Alfred Bester cameo

The non-canon autobiography of Picard had Chekhov as head of Starfleet intelligence.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
John De Lance is looking good

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Q never went back to DS9 because he hates baseball, Miles and Worf.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
My only problem with this episode is I would much rather watch Star Trek:Titan

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Is it wrong that I think it would be funny if the security chief got killed every episode no matter how competent they are. I know it’s a horrible REFERENCE but I think it would be funny.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Erulisse posted:

This reads goodbye-ish?
Please don't pull an ENT on us

Or swerve…Discovery because Star Trek Titan

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Yay, Eaglemoss is making both a Cerritos and Titan model…boo not till January for some dumb reason

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

MikeJF posted:

The Vancouver was a big-boy prestige starfleet, but it was explicitly said to be purposed for large-scale engineering projects, so it was a big boy auxiliary ship.

It was very deliberately designed as the hero version of the Cerritos - it has all the same design elements, the deflector pod, the same exterior stylings, etc, but on the Cerritos it's all straight lines and circles and awkward arrangement, whereas on the Parliament they're all integrated well and have curving struts that flow into the design. The Vancouver was made by ILM to lead the series and took ages while the Cerritos is something the in-show model shop did their best at but they had a weekend to kitbash out something from existing parts and had to use cruder shapes but it's okay, it just sits in the background behind the real ships.

And of course the 'sets' are the same but the ones on the Vancouver are more plush, while the Cerritos sets are just redresses of the Vancouver with slightly shittier color schemes because they swapped out all the fabrics and put some clunky bits around the set.

And the mission and role in Starfleet for the Vancouver is the same as Cerritos but more - the Cerritos is the ship that sets up a comm relay for a newly contacted planet, the Vancouver is the ship that sets up the system-wide FTL networking for the Dyson Sphere you just found or leads the mission to blow up a moon.

The Parliament class is the current generation auxiliary while the California is a pre-Galaxy generation.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Picard was very good beyond the nitpick it should have been the Stargazer-B

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I kind of want the Borg Queen to be Picard love that he can never have, rather then Beverly. That’s why he really fears the Borg so much, because he wants to go back to her.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The dumbest part of the episode also has some of the best character work. When Picard and Seven are walking down the Stargazer’s hallway and everyone they pass goes to attention, Picard thinks it’s because of the Preston the famous ship name not because he’s the single most famous person in the Federation and everyone on this ship spent years learning about his life.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

nine-gear crow posted:

I appreciate how quickly and easily Picard snapped into survival mode and was able to convincingly embody his fascist counterpart when needed. Like, the guy's been around long enough and has seen just about everything, he knows what an evil dickswinging authoritarian prick looks and sounds like because he's stared enough of them down over the course of his career and could emulate them flawlessly.

I really feel like there was part of Picard that could be the murder General in that episode.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I think the best part of SNW is a cast that can act. Half of Disco flaw is the main cast being chasima black holes outs Isaac's, Yeah and Mount, even Doug Jones is a black hole in Disco and he made a fisham sexy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Penitent posted:

No high-fiving in the self-actualized space future.

There is only classical music and books from the 1800's - if they want to express themselves, enlisted crew and officers may pick from those two areas of interest.

The Captain has discretion to live a balls out lifestyle and may choose from early 20th century detective/mystery novels.

Meh, if you are looking to 400 years in the future we are going to remember Mozart but are more then likely going to forget Duran Duran