Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It doesn't really make any sense that Starfleet was around for so long with no Vulcans so probably best to just ignore Spock being the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

skasion posted:

Sure it does. Starfleet is a human organization. Vulcans had their own organization that was eventually superseded by it.

There was an all-Vulcan crew federation ship in TOS, they all joined starfleet after Spock?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Croatoan posted:

For anyone that wanna say there's been no good star trek since TNG please go watch the two part season finale + season opener Time's Arrow. What a dog turd. The Mark Twain character sucked in the 90s and sucks even harder now.

That's one of the best TNG episodes though?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

MikeJF posted:

The only thing that was said about Spock being first is that his mother described him as the first of "his kind" in Starfleet, I believe. Easy enough to say he was the first human/Vulcan.

Ah I was wondering what the actual source of that was, I couldn't remember and memory alpha was failing me.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Blessed is the man who can just forget “Code of Honor” and ”The Loss”.

I want to add 'The Child' to this list of episodes not to bother watching before Picard.

HD DAD posted:

Hotter take: Masks is TNG top 10 material.

I wouldn't go that far, but it's a good episode.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

zoux posted:

Season 7 had Crusher fucks a ghost and Barclay Devolves into a Spider

I mean those two are definitely terrible episodes but in a very entertaining way.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

zoux posted:

Dunno if this is widely known so I'll put it in spoilers but Hugh is going to be in it. Picard switching into Locutus mode to interrogate Hugh and figure out what's his deal is one of my favorite scenes in TNG, the whole episode is great, classic moral-dilemma Trek so I'm excited to see what he's been up to

Yeah, his return was one of the first things to be announced about this show.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Personally I'm very excited about the return of The Outrageous Okona.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

I’m really looking forward to hearing the theme music, and seeing what it’ll be. Maybe they’ll pay homage to the TNG theme, maybe it’ll be dubstep?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nolpET4mgiI

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

HD DAD posted:

75% of things wrong with Disco can be usually traced back to some high-as-gently caress decision made by Bryan Fuller, and the last two seasons have been desperately struggling to dig themselves out his influence.

If the network had gone along with Fuller's ideas Discovery would have been an anthology show with a different story, cast, and time period every season.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

That was very good, I enjoyed it a lot.

And my wild theory from the trailer that mystery girl was Lal somehow wasn’t that far off the mark.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Also I'm kinda disappointed they went this way when holograms and computer cores are gaining sentience left and right. A decent line to pick up but it felt like AI was just around the corner, not a tightly held secret.

I'm glad because it allows them to ignore all the stupid hologram stuff from Voyager, using the EMH as miners etc.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

What's the significance of Data having five queens of hearts in the poker game? Has he been cheating this whole time?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

skasion posted:

Just a tip to Picard/viewers that something’s wrong. Five of a kind is also the best possible poker hand though obviously normally you could only get that with a wild card

Or a hint as to the true mastermind behind these events, the cards all read Q :tinfoil:

ghostinmyshell posted:

Yeah I had to remember this wasn't GOT for a second and they did have transporters, but this was super jarring. Could it have killed them to show them walking into a Sheetz and get teleported for 20 seconds, and how Picard wasn't in a Starfleet hospital to explain gunfire and explosions at their HQ?

The lack of footage suggests the bad guys either had some help from the authorities or used some kind of tech to conceal the scene.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'm re-watching now, I love how Picard is like a proud uncle when Dahj says she was accepted into the Daystrom institute.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Low compared to colonies but Mars isn't M-class.

Yeah can't be many who would choose to live on Mars when they have tons of colonies on lovely class M planets.

Also lol at the dad in the short trek saying he won't be back from Mars for a year. Surely that's a very short trip, few hours max, they don't give you any days off?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

zoux posted:

In the Expanse, which I assume everyone itt watches but I shall spoil it nevertheless Mars is a powerful colony which had built a planetary identity and moral ethic around terraforming, seeing it as building something for their grandchildren. Moses seeing but not going to the promised land so to speak. So when they find all these extra-solar and easily reached habitable worlds due to alien magic, it utterly bodies the Martians, just sucks the character and purpose out of the colony, because why waste all this time and effort, why suffer so to build a habitable world 2, 3, 400 years down the line when you can just go thorugh the gates to a nice, pre-terraformed world. So while it's never really stated that way, it seems like the same dynamic would make sense in the ST universe, and really any universe in which FTL travel + galactic colonization is invented before Mars can be terraformed

Man The Expanse is so loving great. I know there are Star Trek fans who refuse to watch it because they think it's grimdark, but they are really missing out. Best sci-fi on tv in many years.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Wait, what? Seriously?

Well it's an opinion I've run into online a few times anyway.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Lizard Combatant posted:

Seriously? They're clearly establishing that something catastrophic has happened to the collective and the displaced Romulans have salvaged a derelict cube. It's what's known as a "teaser" for coming plot threads.

Said plot may indeed turn out to be dumb, but it's pretty clear what happening in that scene.

I demand that this thing introduced in the last four seconds of the episode as a surprising reveal (for people who didn't watch the trailers) be fully explained immediately!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Yeah i just wanted to make a dumb joke really

I'm sorry, for thinking you were angry about the cube

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

HD DAD posted:

“I don’t like inclusiveness and diversity unless it was in stuff I watched as a literal child. Then it’s okay.”

Yeah it's hilarious how chuds don't notice progressive things in media they watched before they were radicalised. So you get chuds saying Fury Road and Captain Marvel are feminist propaganda, but the Terminator and Alien movies are great and don't have any kind of feminist message at all.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

AntherUslessPoster posted:

That girl from the vampire saga (had to google tbh) Kristen Stewart vs Emma Watson in Harry Potter saga.
A literal telephone pole of acting level vs a very talented kid who grew in age and performance as an actor right in front of our eyes.

This is far too harsh on Emma Watson, she isn't bad at all.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Endgame makes as much sense as any other story involving time travel into the past, ie not much but who cares, time travel is cool.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Eiba posted:

Yeah, they made the interesting point that any time travel shenanigans leaves a doomed alternate timeline, and that's kind of monstrous. So they had to undo their changes at the end, mainly by putting back objects that they took. And then (this is the reason this will only work in a comic book movie) fate or some poo poo will take care of the rest if it's close enough.

They explicitly say if the changes are "small enough" it won't create a new timeline. Of course if you think about that at all that's nonsense magic. Fortunately nonsense magic is totally a thing in the Marvel universe so it's no problem in that movie at all.

The only thing the movie brought up that might be relevant for other settings is that when you go back in time to fix something, from the perspective of those you left behind you're just disappearing forever and everything is just as horrible. When you go back into the future, that's a new future that exists in parallel to the old one, that still exists and now is just horrible without you.

Traditional time travel is obviously morally abhorrent if you don't just forget about the entire universes of suffering you leave behind.

To make it relevant to the Picard thread: If Picard thinks Spock just disappeared during the destruction of Romulus, then the people of Earth who sent Kirk back to pick up whales from the past just saw him disappear and continued to be hosed up by the confused whale loving probe. Kirk abandoned billions to die, while he personally had fun 80s adventures and eventually created a new timeline.

The only way around this moral fuckery is to presume a stable time loop. Kirk always existed in his own past- before the whale probe showed up there were confusing records of a guy who looked a lot like Kirk running around in the 80s, and news archives of the whales going missing after they were released or whatever. This ends up kind of loving with peoples perception of "free will" (by actually going back in time Kirk was just fufilling his fate- there was no way he couldn't do it 'cause he had already done it), but free will is a bullshit concept anyway so I'm personally fine with that.

But who made the glasses that Bones gave Kirk?

Lordshmee posted:

Well, there certainly didn’t appear to be a reason for him to be in a hospital. They were probably like, “Oh this is Jean-Luc Picard, comm his house in La Barre and see if he has people that can watch him. Yes? Ok send him to transporter room 2.”

Yeah don't see why keeping someone in hospital for observation would be necessary when they can probably monitor his vitals from the next star system.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

I feel like they hinted at Lal, but maybe that was just me remembering Lal.

Picard said Data always wanted a daughter.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

I find it kind of amusing whenever these realism in time travel nitpicks happen because there is no such thing as scientific accuracy in this arena.

Sounds like someone isn't familiar with a little show called Time Tunnel

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

I never got the impression that the glasses were some kind of eternal object looping through time. Kirk was just making a little joke.

They totally are, they have no origin. They appear in 1986 when Kirk sells them, and disappear when he goes back in time.

piratepilates posted:

I'm going to go ahead and say it: I enjoyed the Dahj action sequences, I liked seeing them and would welcome more. I think they did a great job making her seem like a potential murder machine in a believable way. It was pretty cool when she threw that Romulan assassin/CIA-dude against the railing and you hear his spine crack.

Agreed. There are lots of good things about TNG that modern Trek should copy, the fight choreography is not one of them.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The Bloop posted:

This is one hundred percent true BUT someone better throw a two handed overhead punch at some point during the series

It's like "I have a bad feeling about this" in SW. I'll miss it if it's not there once per season

Oh absolutely the double axe handle is a very powerful and cool move

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

Why do the frames have to be an eternal indestructible paradoxical looping object, but you're fine with the lenses being ordinary items that were manufactured, hung around for a few centuries, then went back in time and were in two places at once from 1986 to 2286? (In your example, one set of lenses would be mounted in the frames and one set in a landfill somewhere.)

What makes the objects so different? Wouldn't it be simpler to say that the glasses (lenses included) were made in the 18th century or so, hung around for five hundred years, went back in time, and then there were two of them (one with a broken lens) from 1986 to 2286? It's no different than Data's head, Chekov's phaser, or a pebble stuck to Kirk's shoe.

I mean it's a predestination paradox either way, so I'm not sure why you are so insistent it can't be the same pair looping endlessly, when that's what we are told in the film.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Powered Descent posted:

If we're taking absolutely everything literally, then Bones is actually a Romulan. He admitted as much in Wrath of Khan when he showed up at Kirk's apartment. (I don't see why everyone is so dead-set against the possibility, just because he "was obviously joking" or because there's "literally nothing else to suggest such an extraordinary thing" and "plenty of evidence against it". He's a Romulan since that's what we were told in the film.

:colbert:

Why do you think Kirk was joking about them being the same pair? There is zero evidence against it. One pair of specs or two, both are both equally impossible. Because you can't have an effect before a cause.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Effect before cause is easy in given time travel has been introduced; the glasses being the same pair requires them to be entropy-proof glasses that haven't disintegrated after literally existing for infinite time.

I mean sure, ok, I guess one impossible thing is even more impossible than the other impossible thing.

It's more fun for them to be the same pair.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Anyway, never mind FTL and time travel, my favourite thing that makes no sense in Star Trek is how they can use the universal translator to pretend to be native speakers. Why doesn't their lip movement give them away?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Rhyming is the best way to make yourself understood so here goes:

If you've never heard of Minkowski don't talk to me about relativity.

The Lost character who gets all hosed up from time shenanigans?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I know that in the 60s western historians were largely reliant on German sources and had no access to lots of Soviet stuff that is now available, and that nazi propaganda about their own efficiency was very successful. But it's still so crazy to see Kirk just accept the premise that Nazi germany was extremely efficent.

Also, Mussolini never actually made the trains run on time.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I mean even if Discovery hadn't been sent to the future and everyone sworn to secrecy, navigating the mycelial network is only possible with either enslaving an adorable tardigrade or illegal genetic modification of a human. And everyone on Disco's sister ship was killed in a spore drive related thing. You can see why the Federation would not encourage this line of research.

Plus yeah every other Star Trek series has game changing technology that is never mentioned again every other week, so who cares.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Lower Decks looks so bad that I kinda hope it’s cancelled mid-season somehow.

I've only seen a couple of pictures, has there been a trailer or something?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I’ve watched a handful of RLM reviews over the years and I’ve never understood why goons hold them in such high esteem. They aren’t funny or insightful, I feel like I’m missing a joke here.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Maddox could access some of Data's memories from B4 right? They said most of them were lost which means some survived. He could have seen the painting that way.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Pinterest Mom posted:

Star Trek nerds love stuff like this, but what's onscreen doesn't actually support or care about star maps or other peripheral content. You'll have characters say things like "the cardassians are going through romulan space to stage surprise attacks on the federation" and people on screen will nod like that's a perfectly sensible thing and you just have to not care that it contradicts your Star Trek Encyclopedia.

Also a 2D map of space is not very meaningful. Maybe the Romulan empire is shorter in length and width compared to the federation, but greater in height.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Another good episode. I kind of wish they hadn't given away that Riker and Troi appear because I was impatient for Picard to get to their place, guess that's next episode.

Also about swearing, I thought it worked well. It's more shocking than it was in Discovery, since this show puts you in TNG mode to an extent where people never swear, and also coming from the admiral, but that puts you in Picard's shoes. Starfleet's refusal to give him a ship, and dismissal of his claims is very shocking to him.

But I also liked Tilly and Stamets swearing in Discovery, so each to their own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Lizard Combatant posted:

There's a trailer for that? I must have missed it.

I meant more the actual application more so than any redesign. I get really into new special effects materials and techniques so I'd also love any behind the scenes stuff if you know of any?

Yeah there's a disco season 3 trailer with a brief shot of a mixed group of aliens including a cardassian and whatever species Morn is.