Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Finally saw the first episode of Lower Decks. It's delightful and I'm probably gonna watch it all this weekend, whee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I suppose in the Federation there's no real reason to stick with a job you're not really enjoying or are very dedicated to. You don't need to half-rear end things - you can just quit and go and do something different if you want to. Head back to Earth and work on your painting or whatever.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

plainswalker75 posted:

The little stick-figure buddies on the door! :swoon:

Ediit:

Oh my god :kimchi:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Holy poo poo this caught me off-guard.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

showbiz_liz posted:

Up to DISCO episode 7 (the Mudd time loop) and basically loved it, despite some minor quibbles. It's the first one that really felt fun to watch in the way the best Trek should.

I go back and watch that episode all the time. Stamets getting increasingly frayed and tired and irritated is pure entertainment to me.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

A ship gets destroyed in the 10th episode of LDS and it was the most upsetting I think a ship getting wrecked has ever been in Trek for me. I was horrified. The ships and space effects are just gorgeous.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Just finished Lower Decks. It made me cry which admittedly is not difficult. I loved every minute of it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Just finished Discovery season 2, thought it was great, and I hope everyone else gets a Trek they love sometime too. I don't love Disco *quite* as much as DS9 but it's not trailing far behind. That said I am not someone who cares about bad plotting if the character moments work and the character moments in Disco work for me. I can see why others wouldn't like it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I only really binge stuff these days. If it's releasing week by week I wait till there's a nice chunk lined up for me. It must be affecting storytelling in TV shows quite a bit, surely, not knowing how people are going to consume it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

drat, that's a really cool way to get sound coverage without resorting to boom mics. Hiding mics in the set dressing, I wonder if anyone else has tried that before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTFCctdiS04

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Typical Pubbie posted:

They made space hitler into a girl boss.

This is something that really bothers me. It's not cute and funny that Georgiou is a giggling psychopath who enjoys hurting people and murders casually. She's not badass for it. She's awful.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

It's Owo, Airiam, Paul Stamets, Sylvia Tilly, Bryce, Reece, Michael Burnham, Kayla Detmer and Saru. They are all named multiple times in multiple episodes. Some of them are main characters and some of them are side characters, about whom we know less. I wish there were more episodes in a season to give more space to the side characters and a bit more development.

e: It's not like TOS was thick with character development for its side characters either and that's a shame too imo.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Bryce is the communications officer. Admittedly this is all I know about him, maybe he'll get more to do in season 4, I dunno.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I mean really it doesn't matter because as someone who really likes Discovery a lot, and thinks it's as good as most Trek shows, it's about the *ways* in which something is failing, and whether those bother you or not. Like, nobody's wrong when they say the turbolifts look stupid, I think so too, it just doesn't matter to me. And it's true that the show seems to occasionally think 'oh poo poo, we should make people care about X background character now' and clumsily tries to make you care. That bothers me, but it doesn't bother me a lot. Just a bit. So it doesn't spoil Disco for me. But it might for someone else.
It's why I value it so much when people explain why they think something is bad. Disco's clumsy attempts at inclusion, its heavy reliance on Michael, its over-emotionality, its lack of plot cohesion - those things don't really bother me. The thing I hate most in Disco as of early season 3 is that the writers seem to think Georgiou is amusing and badass and fun to have around and I think she's repulsive and awful and is spoiling every scene she's in. Which is quite some feat considering how amazing her actress is. Michelle Yeoh is incredible, please give her better lines. Ugh.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Great Beer posted:

Didn't they have to get Garaks actor to quit doing this with Bashir?

Andy Robinson chose to play up the flirtation in their first scene and everyone was on-board with it but some higher up, I'm guessing Berman, told them to drop it. So it retreated to subtext. The way you phrased that made it sound like he went rogue or something.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

Well I'm Irish, but 'Allo 'Allo is one of my childhood favourites which I only appreciate more as an adult.

Yeah I was worried it'd be really terrible, but I watched an episode quite recently and it's dated but certainly not bad. That was a relief.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Gonz posted:

I would also be cool with Jeffrey Combs.

If one of these new Trek shows doesn't cast Jeffrey Combs as *something* they are making a huge mistake.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The thing the spore drive reminds me of most is the slipstream from Andromeda. That was based on navigating a sort of quantum realm which required an organic navigator to collapse probabilities and put the ship where it was meant to be. The ships are true living AIs themselves but they can't navigate slipstream alone. One ship went insane after roaming the slipstream for centuries after its crew died.

But there are only so many possible FTL types. You can fold space, you can shortcut space with wormholes, you can use some kind of alternate space (like the spore drive or the slipstream). None of it's real so it's all good.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I mean it's the Trek universe. If someone's having hallucinations it's at least as likely that they're in contact with a mushroom alien or someone else's soul is in their body or they're receiving distant signals.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

I think so. Back when Adira was first introduced and was still being treated as female by default, I came up with a not-very-clever one-liner: "Leslie Crusher".

I think Wesley's original conception when TNG was being put together was that there would be a teenage girl called Lesley Crusher actually. I wish they'd gone with that, not out of any real animosity to Wesley (who could have been a decent character if written better) but at the time, you didn't see much of that, not in scifi.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Timby posted:

The character originated as Wesley (that being Roddenberry's middle name). Bob Justman prevailed upon him and convinced him to change the character to Leslie Crusher, and at least one or two casting call sheets went out to that effect, but eventually the character reverted to being Wesley Crusher, Boy Genius.

Haha that certainly fits in better with what I know about Gene Roddenberry.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

If the subject matter isn't a turn-off and you don't mind 'Christianity is literally true' presented very earnestly, then the show that's called 'AD: The Bible Continues' is a dramatisation of the Acts of the Apostles but with a *heavy* sideplot of Roman/Judean politics that gets deep into how complicated the situation was in 1st century Judaea and why things were so volatile. I'd say it's watchable for the politics, if the other stuff doesn't bother you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I wish the dog didn't have cropped ears, it really bugs me for some reason.