Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I really didn't know what to expect from this show, but I certainly wouldn't have guessed this. That's not a criticism, by the way. I don't think I'll be able to judge it at all until I've seen at least one more episode, maybe two. I feel like this episode was a lot of set up and didn't really give us a good idea of what to expect from the rest of the series, in terms of what a "regular episode" is going to be like. Honestly, they probably should have done that thing where they show two episodes back to back on the first week, because I think the second one is going to be the one to watch to find out what this show actually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

kidkissinger posted:

Where in the world are you that it's the 24th???

New Zealand, maybe?

Edit: Or Australia. My time zone seems to be set wrong on the forums so that was actually posted an hour later than I thought.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

- Not sure why we needed an ultra-secret zealot version of the Tal Shiar instead of just using... the Tal Shiar
Got to have the Romulan Section 31 working with the Federation Section 31, 'cause the only people who can know about the super-duper-secret spies are the other super-duper-secret spies.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

large_gourd posted:

i think i'll have a better sense of what the gently caress this show actually is with another couple of episodes. still in wait and see mode.
:same:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

The cursing in these new American shows always feels a little forced.

FTFY.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

My main issue with the Disco uniforms is that they all look the same and it's not color coded by department like in all other series.

While that is also annoying, it's always bothered me that they doubled up colours. Like, why are security and engineering indistinguishable? And if you need a doctor, it seems like it would be handy to be able to identify them at a glance rather than confusing them with astrophysicists or xenobiologists. Did they not know that there are more than three colours?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The doctors wear all-white versions of the same uniforms.
I meant in TNG. The medical uniforms in Discovery are actually a good change.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

Also feels wrong to call Picard JL.
It would feel wrong to call anyone "JL". It's an awkward nickname. It doesn't sound right. You've got one word ending in a vowel sound followed by another word starting with a vowel. You'd have to be unnaturally conscientious about pronouncing it every time to avoid calling him "jail". I really hope she stops calling him that.

ashpanash posted:

Any argument brought up against this show can be shown aside episodes from every one of the TV shows. Most of them, in fact, are about as good or worse television than what we've gotten from Picard. I agree, a couple dozen of them are excellent, and we have yet to see something on that level from New Trek. So I'm waiting for that, sure. But to be disappointed in every episode because it's not loving genius? It rubs against the minutea of the lore? Maybe I'm just not enough of a "Star Trek fan" to care.
If you watched a bad episode of TNG, you knew there'd be something completely different next week. If they're going to make a single season-long story instead of individual stories for each episode, it had better be a loving good story. Because it's the only one they've got.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

I've got a little glimmer of hope for Picard because they're finally in loving space so maybe they'll get closer to the good episodes of Disco where it's space anomalies and time shifts and weird energy readings they have to check out.
At this point I'm still hoping it will be good once it actually gets moving, but it seems more likely right now that it's actually not going to get moving and these three episodes, rather than being an unnecessarily slow build up, will actually turn out to be representative of the series as a whole. So far everything has been happening in the background. Picard has (finally) embarked upon a course of action, but it remains to be seen whether or not it will actually bring him into conflict with... anyone. For all we can tell so far he might just bumble around the galaxy having no impact on anything. I assume that's not the plan, but so far we don't have any hint as to how his goals are going to come into conflict with anyone else's - or even what the apparent bad guys' goals even are.

It's all very directionless so far, and my fear is that they're saving all the important information for a last-minute "twist" that's supposed to make everything that's happened up to that point suddenly meaningful. But you can't retroactively make boring episodes good by telling us later that actually there were important things happening that we just didn't know about.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CPColin posted:

Those three episodes should have been edited down to and presented as a single, feature-length premiere.
I don't think anyone could reasonably disagree with this.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Picard literally said she was a Vulcan in this episode.

I could be wrong, but I think the confusion is about whether or not she's secretly a Romulan pretending to be a Vulcan?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Isometric Bacon posted:

I think it's a refreshing change of pace, and I'm enjoying seeing the mystery unfold and all the world building they're giving the Romulans and establishing of Picard's new crew.

Is everyone forgetting Discovery with its 1200 concurrent plot points and not giving enough time to really focus on any one of them?
You say that like as though it's the only alternative. There are actually good shows too.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Bloop posted:

You're wrong

It creates far more in depth conversation over a much longer period.

You can actually talk about episodes irl and online without the minefield of spoilers and everyone being at different points in the series
Entire seasons coming out on one day is the worst. It basically kills all interest in a show for me and I end up not watching it for months, because A) it's suddenly a huge time investment and B) there's no one to talk about it with anyway. I hope it turns out to be a fad that dies off after a few years and we go back to one episode a week for everything.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tighclops posted:

ninja romulan feels like he's worf 2.0

But he won a fight? :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

I feel like I would have been fine with her calling him French or Cue Ball or Earl.
I retract my criticism of "JL". I see now that it could have been so much worse.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

very satisfied that "vajazzle" is catching on, my work here is done
I would guess that about 90% of people who watched this episode had the thought "wait, did they just say that character's name is 'Vajazzle'?"

Alchenar posted:

I'm starting to get a bit of a Culture novel vibe from the series. Not as good, but I think I can see how you could take the initial script treatment and instead make it a culture story.
This episode was about as Generic Spaceship Show as it gets. It could have been Killjoys, or Doctor Who, or Firefly. Or Stargate or Dark Matter. Not Farscape though because that was a good show.

zoux posted:

I don't buy that Agnes had never seen such an ad.
If she's lived her whole life in the Federation, when would she have ever seen an ad?

Delthalaz posted:

Making this show about the individual Picard is looking like a big mistake.
One of the defining characteristics of Star Trek used to be that the shows didn't have protagonists. Individual episodes did, but the series shifted focus, episode to episode, from one character or set of characters to another. Making Discovery and Picard focus their stories on Michael and JL is one of the things that makes them not feel like Star Trek.

zoux posted:

Picard haters: what's the most recent star trek thing you actually liked
I thought this latest episode was OK. It wasn't great. It didn't make me feel like I was watching Star Trek. But it was up there with any number of other spaceship shows I've watched before. Before that, there were some decent episodes of Discovery. If Memory Serves wasn't bad. An Obol for Charon felt solidly Star Trekish.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Eiba posted:

Or are you going to tell me that when a writer puts gory explosion conspiracy aliens in one episode, and has a random guy from the 80s be incredulous about a lack of currency in another episode, that there was a coherent world being created and not just everything being thrown at the wall to see what sticks?
Inconsistencies between episodes when each episode is a different story being told by a different writer is not the same as incoherent storytelling within a single story. The way TNG was made and presented was different so it's judged differently. That's not hypocrisy any more than it would be to expect a coherent narrative from a movie but not from a music video.

istewart posted:

There's nothing in these scenes that makes the characters likeable, or even indicates that they like each other.
Well, they don't like each other. That's wouldn't be a problem if there was a reason they had to work together, but there isn't. Generally you assemble your team by getting a group of people who like each other and want to work together or you get a group of people who don't like each other but are forced together by circumstances and learn to appreciate each other over time. In this case there's nothing keeping them together so when we see that they don't like each other we're just left wondering why they're even here.

Picard needs a ship so OK, he hires Rios. But he's a chartered pilot, so why is he risking his life for this crackpot mission? Raffi believes in the conspiracy but she was ready to abandon it to reconnect with her son. She only came along for the ride to Freecloud. So why didn't she just take a different ship? This can't be the only one available. And why now? Picard offers her evidence that the conspiracy is real and that galvanises her to... give up?

Powered Descent posted:

e2: Okay, "I've come to offer your employer alternative remuneration" is a bit of a tight squeeze, I suppose, but you could work out how technically they're "offering" some phaser stuns and a hasty retreat with Maddox.
The ability to smell lies is such an absurd thing to begin with that trying to game it in any way is always going to come across as somewhat dodgy. Like, you could say that they came to offer alternative remuneration but never intended to follow through on the offer, which is technically true, but does the guy smell literal falsehoods or intent to deceive? The latter would make more sense, but they seemed to be implying it was the former. But if it was then why would the writers bother with the smell blocker when they could just play with vague wording and double meanings?

But as you pointed out, the whole thing was basically a wasted opportunity because the lie-detecting alien was never a problem since they introduced the method for defeating him at the same time they introduced him, and there was never any secondary complication for them to overcome. The whole thing plays out exactly the same if he can't detect lies.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

zoux posted:

When are you going to stop watchign this show you clearly despise
...says the person continuing to read and post in a thread they clearly despise.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

That's exactly my issue. I'd like to talk about the programmes I enjoy watching without pointlessly aggressive gate keeping by shitwits who are offended that people might like it, and subsequently try to drown any discourse in meaningless catchphrases and criticisms unsupported by the episodes.
Who is doing this "gatekeeping"? What are these "catch phrases"? Does everyone have to run their criticism by you before posting it to make sure it meets your standards? What you seem to want is for everyone just to agree that the show is good. I'm not seeing anyone being criticised or told to stop posting for liking the show; in fact, it's the other way around: a small number of people (or maybe just one; I'm not good at keeping track of who posted what) are telling people who don't like the show to stop watching and shut up. Otherwise people are just talking about what they do or don't like about the show and why.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

as we have all learned in the 21st century give people online anonymity and some will become utter trash.
There's no "becoming" and anonymity doesn't even factor into it. Most of those people will post the same poo poo from their real-name Facebook accounts and have been saying those things out loud for years.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

This show really seems to love splitting up the crew.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

e: it was this book
I definitely had that book as a child but I can't remember a single thing about it, aside from recognising the cover.

TheCenturion posted:

One thing I didn't like was how they dragged Raffi, hosed up from the loss of her son, drunk, high, put her in front of Federation Facetime, had her burn a friendship to get Picard what he needed, and his response was to stand up and clap. Then they stick her back into her bunk and completely ignore the fact that she's hurting and grieving and spiraling (back) into self-destruction. Professor Xavier, you're a jerk!
And even with Picard not knowing all the details, he did just hear the bit about "as an old friend I'm telling you to never call me again", but he's just like "good job, excellent, that could not have gone better, congratulations all 'round!" It was weird.

Angry Salami posted:

Would that work, though? Skin regenerates itself constantly, so the scanner probably wouldn't be able to give an accurate reading.
That seems like the kind of question that just casts doubt on the plausibility of the entire technology. Like, what is it even measuring? The answer is that it's magic, it just works however the story needs it to. And as long as the plot doesn't rely on it working in one way today and then in a totally different way tomorrow, it's fine.

marktheando posted:

Picard was surprised by what’s going on in the cube because in typical old man using computer style he just did an image search.
He also included the word "the" in his search queries. Twice. :rolleyes:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

NZAmoeba posted:

Romulans don't even tell people their real name, and maintain 3 different identities
Jellicle songs for jellicle Romulans.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

But what if they all died and he's just a hologram recreation.

Was there a radiation leak from an improperly repaired drive plate?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Epicurius posted:

Maybe the Q are holograms. Really makes you think.
Maybe everything that happened after the invention of holosuites is just someone playing a video game.

Tiggum posted:

Was there a radiation leak from an improperly repaired drive plate?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

piratepilates posted:

It's like a sickness among writers and producers that they have to keep creating bigger and bigger stories with even bigger scopes that Change Everything We Know.
It's especially dumb in a show like Doctor Who where the setting is different every week and the protagonists show up as powerless outsiders. Most shows where the threats keep escalating do so because the protagonists are gaining resources and abilities over time that make their old enemies too weak to pose a threat to this new version of them. Doctor Who avoids that, so escalating the threat is completely unnecessary.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I don't know that this was the worst episode so far, bit it's certainly the one that's pushed me past "this isn't what I want from Star Trek, but it could be ok" and into "nah, it's just kind of poo poo".

I don't like or care about any of the characters, I don't care about the central mystery, and I don't expect any kind of satisfying resolution.

DaveKap posted:

Also why did Soji ask Troi how to eat a tomato? Just because she ate replicator food doesn't mean she shouldn't know how to bite into a tomato.
Really seemed to be pushing that idea that replicator food is the equivalent of microwave dinners again. Which is really weird and dumb.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Epicurius posted:

I've never eaten replicator food, so who knows. It's a pretty constant thing throughout Star Trek though that when people have the chance to eat non-replicated food, they take it.

A) That's always been dumb.
B) They've turned it up to a whole new level in this show.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Epicurius posted:

Even if you want to assume that replicated food isn't worse than non-replicated food, then in a society like the one TNG proposes, which is largely post scarcity, and you can have all the replicated food and replicated cabinets and replicated clothing or whatever you want, then that stuff becomes valueless, and what becomes valuable is the stuff that you can't get that way.
Sure. That doesn't explain why someone would have never seen a tomato before though, or why the food served to the workers in the earlier episode was so bad.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Epicurius posted:

No comment on the second, but if she's eaten replicated food all her life, why would she have necessarily seen a raw, unprocessed tomato before?
Because they're a good and popular food? Have you not eaten raw unprocessed tomatoes before?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

zoux posted:

Also when they handed Pill the, uh, pill and she instantly ate it I was fully expecting Oh to go, no you just hide it in your luggage Jesus Christ
That was really weird. It seemed like it must mean that she knew what it was and how it worked, but then Sunglasses had to tell her to chew it so obviously she didn't. I guess what that scene conveys is that this character will just put random stuff in her mouth for no reason.

Delthalaz posted:

I enjoyed every scene with Riker, Troi, and Picard on the planet. Actually the entire sequence on the planet was great imo. That poo poo is exactly what I want from ST: Picard and I could not care less if it’s fan service.
To me, it was exactly what I don't want from STP. There was no good reason for those characters to be in the show. They didn't do anything that could only be done by them. It was literally just there to go "look guys, it's those characters you like from the other thing!" And, at best, it just got us up to a point we should already have been at, like, three episodes ago.

zoux posted:

Did y'all read that scene as her trying to kill herself or just gently caress herself up enough that the tracker stopped working
It definitely seemed to me that she was doing it because she thought it was the quickest/only way to destroy the tracker, and she didn't care that it would also hurt/kill her. It doesn't make any sense at all as a way to frame Raffi.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Delthalaz posted:

You know come to think about it, these hybrid children with parents from entirely different species that evolved on planets lightyears apart may be some of the most implausible conceits in star trek
IIRC every intelligent species in the universe was genetically engineered by the first intelligent species and deliberately designed for compatibility. They went out exploring and realised they were alone, so they set things in motion so all these specieses would arise and discover each other. According to one episode I half remember.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Given the best episode of Star Trek in twenty-one years you're mithering about the good characters that were in it, because putting good characters in good scenes is bad somehow.

Good Christ you're a misery.
They were good characters in the show they were actually in. They're not in this show. It was a cameo. Instead of building up the characters that are actually sticking around; instead of moving the plot forward; instead of giving us something to care about that's actually part of this show, they gave us Riker and Troi because they were in the good show that people liked 30 years ago.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

teacup posted:

I watched all of TNG and Voyager back in the day. I never watched DS9. Does it hold up?
It's not as great as people make it out to be and it gets real dumb near the end but, like TNG, it's mostly pretty good.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It helped that DS9 was more of an ensemble, and so they were able to give us tons of little humanizing moments and show how each character was dealing with the war and coping with their situation.
There are so many shows that need to learn this. Is the story actually about a specific character? Then fine, make them the protagonist. If not, don't just pick someone to call the protagonist for the sake of having one. Looking at you, Michael.

That is entirely true. I should have said "rough as gently caress compared to season two onwards".
Yeah, basically Farscape gets really great in season two, but season one is still a top tier spaceship show.

Isometric Bacon posted:

Late to the discussion, but I thought the Troi and Riker 'Tragic loss of a child' thing was also explicitly designed as a way to explain why they wouldn't immediately mount the saddle to join Picard in his quest, for which I thought it actually worked, given if this was TNG or the movies that's exactly what they'd do.
Is "we have a young child to look after" not enough of a reason?

Carbon dioxide posted:

Does Prime have different content per country or something?
I would be shocked if it didn't. They sell the distribution rights to shows in a completely piecemeal way and for different lengths of time on a country-specific basis, so if some TV station decided they wanted to broadcast a show then they might have exclusive rights to it in that country for X amount of time, so it won't appear on any streaming platform - unless the agreement specifically allowed that. Fortunately, bittorrent exists.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

So if you make sufficiently advanced AIs then someone (who we're definitely supposed to think is Q - or at least entertain that possibility) comes and wipes you out... but gives you enough advance notice that you can set up an extremely elaborate warning, before destroying every other trace of your civilisation? :crossarms:

I'm glad the threat isn't just "advanced AIs will definitely murder you", even though this alternative isn't a huge improvement. The thing where knowing the terrible secret of space drives you to suicidal insanity is really, really dumb though.

But that (and the stuff on the cube) aside, this episode was actually pretty good? The holograms are great and deserve to be in a much better show, and Raffi's interactions with them were really good. For the first time I actually like her. Although her berating Picard about bringing traitors onboard was pretty dumb considering she's... what, a passenger? Once again we run into the problem of why are these people working together at all? They all seem to kind of be on board with Picard's mission now but not really maybe? But that feels like an issue left over from previous episodes rather than a problem within this one.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Duckula posted:

Q is going to show up at the end and tell Picard the trial never ended.

I really hope not, because it would be entirely redundant. The line is "the trial never ends", not "ended". The point has been made. Why come back to say it again to the one person who heard the message most directly the first time?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

I really didn't have an issue with the swearing before, like, at all. But man, I'd love to go a couple of episodes of Picard without someone yelling "gently caress" just for the hell of it.

I guess that's modern television dialog now though.
My problem with it is just how forced it seems. It's very much American TV Swearing, where people don't normally swear but there's a certain quota per episode. If no one swears then you don't notice because that's just how TV dialogue is. If people swear realistically then you don't notice because that's just how people talk. American TV does this dumb thing where the dialogue is mostly no swearing but then they drop one "gently caress" in there and, no matter how reasonable it actually is in isolation, it feels really weird because no one else is saying it.

Autism Sneaks posted:

as fun as Raffi and the holos was it was breathtakingly lazy that Rios's tragic backstory tied directly into Picard's mission. I know it's far from the only plot contrivance the show makes but it's by far the most offensive
Worse than Riker and Troi's son dying because of the synth ban? :crossarms:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

I will say that it's impressive that this show has both managed to drag out episodes that they didn't have to, and also overstuff later episodes because they ran out of time in one season

Nah, that's just how, like, 90% of TV is with season-long plots.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Alan_Shore posted:

Unless I have contracted malaria and have gone deaf, I don't know why people are talking about a genocidal ancient being showing up to destroy everything. She already has shown up: it's Soji. They've said it multiple times
Some characters believe that she's "the destroyer". It's not clear if they mean that she's literally the one who'll do the destroying or if her presence will just somehow lead to the destruction, and we have no way of knowing if they're correct in either case.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

You're right that for the huge majority of shows, viewers aren't going to get obsessive over the exact order of things. But the episodes are clearly presented as events in the lives of the fictional characters. Interesting or funny things seeming to happen to them weekly like clockwork, never really overlapping and only rarely referred to afterward, is just part of the convention of the format.
Shows occasionally joke about that but I doubt there's a single show where each week's episode is supposed to be happening an actual week after the previous one from the characters' perspective. You have episodes that cover multiple days, weeks, or more of the characters' time, and you have episodes that take place anywhere from immediately following the previous one to weeks or months later.

Star Trek TNG, in particular, often starts with a voiceover explicitly telling us that the Enterprise has been doing stuff off-screen.

Khanstant posted:

Does Star Wars have a point or a message?
Literally all media does. Just by making decisions about, eg. who the protagonist is, the authors are telling us whose stories are worthy of notice. By framing one side as good and the other bad, as almost all stories do, they tell us what they think is good or right in reality. Every choice the writers make communicates some meaning to the audience, even if the writers didn't intend it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The robot taught herself to be psychic? Can anyone do that? Is the only reason that humans in Star Trek aren't psychic just because we're too lazy to learn? You've got all these Vulcans and Betazoids and whatever out there with magic powers and we could have them too if we just studied and practised? Is that what they're saying here?