Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Well I didn't expect Lower Decks to be the best Trek since 1999, but I'm really glad it exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

HD DAD posted:

I’d honestly be okay if Mike McMahan took over the franchise.

When I found out that he was behind the TNG S8 account, it kind of fell into place. Trek needs someone who can maintain the structural integrity of the rod it has up it's own arse, while at the same time being able to make fun of it. The S8 account sort of knew that sometimes all you really need is a Data And Geordi Fix The Breadmaker episode (especially in the hellscape of 2020)

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I quite like Discovery, but it's just... a lot. I would happily take that cast doing a fix the breadmaker episode.

Picard is a very unhappy place for me.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Wee Bairns posted:

Eh, Trek has had "saucer/seperate pod/underslung nacelle" designs since The Wrath of Khan.

And usually to denote a 'lesser' ship than the various Enterprises over the years, which works great for Lower Decks.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Bilirubin posted:

I only recall him saying it was the biggest and baddest and there would be nothing more he would like to do than open up a can of whoop rear end on some Romulans who desperately need it

I might have been hooting or hollaring at the time though

I would like to Eternal Sunshine all of that from my mind

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

MikeJF posted:

Apparently, he's already been in discovery, kinda! He's the voice of the escape pod in Calypso! So seven serieses!

And the bridge of his ship in Picard was a redress of the Disco set, so I guess that kinda counts too.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I'm wondering how many ships the Borg attack in First Contact was supposed to have chewed through as well. I think the oldest ship we saw in the space combat scene there was a Nebula? Maybe the Borg wrecked most of their newer ships.

Whenever I watch FC I can never not be troubled by that ship that gets blown up on the viewer because Picard is doing a Dramatic Pause before commiting to fire.

DrNutt posted:

I do think the uniform thing is weird and not just in lower decks. Look at that screenshot of disco with Pike in the disco jumpsuit while his people are rocking the TOS uniforms. It's weird to me that it seems to vary by ship in the times that we've seen it. I do like the first contact uniforms better than the regular lower decks ones though, which just look fundamentally like the deep space nine ones with a little flair.

MikeJF posted:

The original intention when they split TNG and DS9 at the time was that coloured body and black shoulders was ships/command and black body coloured shoulders was outposts, and that's used consistently for a few years, but then Voyager came along and confused things and it all just went more inconsistent from there.

Easiest at this point to say it's either a wierd phased rollover or captain's discretion during the changeover time.

That whole... thing is such a mess. I don't think it was Voyager that confused it so much as Generations. You could totally buy that the DS9 crew have the mechanic uniforms, they were sent to a building site to fix a hosed up station, and the uniform sold the look of being actively more practical than the TNG look.

The error was in Generations when they wanted to do new uniforms, designed them, didn't like it, and instead of dropping the idea opted to use the DS9 uniforms which did not look good on film, and especially terrible under the warmer TNG lighting (I'm not sure the undershirt is ever supposed to look that purple). The fact that they didn't have time / money to make them bespoke and had to reuse the DS9 cast ones make them look even worse - poor Frakes. Those uniforms don't belong on what is essentially the luxury science barge, but I think they would have gotten away with it to some degree had they not opted to show the uniform roll-out in the story - I think most Trek nerds would enjoy an episode that showed the changeover to new uniforms, but not in the middle of a feature film that isn't even totally set in the TNG era where it becomes a complete distraction. They then opted to have some of the cast switch back towards the end of the film to suggest that they only had one of each in their closet, which doesn't really work in the world of there being no material scarcity and everything is replicatable.

It's maddening, because if you have that level of engagement with the detail of the world you're creating that you feel that showing a uniform changeover is a good and interesting idea, you must surely be able to see why that specific execution is a bad idea. It just seems so odd to me that they committed to it. The new comm badges - which are the only decent bit of design Eaves has done (imo) were a nice little change and are easier to merchandise than uniforms

I can't remember what year (in production terms) the DS9 team went back to the academy, but they were all wearing the TNG uniform, which made sense, and then everyone rolled over to the First Contact one which still worked in the context of DS9 as it wasn't a wreck any more.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 13, 2020

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
On the subject of uniforms/badges etc as the price of screen-used stuff has shot up over the last few years (if I'd bought the stuff I was offered ~10 years ago I could probably pay off the house now), I've been tracking down less obvious items - I got hold of these raw comm castings from the original moulds. The TNG one is a later badge - the first season ones were thinner and a tad pointier - which is very hard to see the difference on camera). It's funny how small they are in person - proportionately they look fine on actors who are inherently tiny, but when you look at... huskier members of the cast (late-series Riker) you realise how small they are.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

zoux posted:

Post TMP TOS movie unis best unis, sorry.

Worst uniforms: Picard racing stripes wetsuit

Fixed that

tarlibone posted:

ST:TNG... yeah, even as a kid, I didn't like the first series of uniforms. They never looked like uniforms. They looked like costumes. That got a little better as time went on and edged away from straight-up costumery, but they never seemed like actual uniforms to me.

The later TNG ones were good conceptually but yeah, I agree, they needed a little bit more finishing / detail (even cuffs would be a good start). I always like the implication that they were made from some kind of magic fabric - there's that good shot in Ro's epsiode where the uniform splits along an invisible front seam (rather than the obvious zip at the back, lol), and things like the holsters just grafted themselves on to the fabrics (although you can always see the bigger tricorders trying to leap out).

It does seem ridiculous that they never really went anywhere without environmental suits but then I'd hate to imagine what an early era TNG suit would look like on their budgets

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Crusader posted:

i'd love to see a more realistic take on the 2380's lower deck uniform - the TWOK flap combined with the simple lines of the TNG uniform really work well as a cartoon, not sure how well it'd look as a real costume though

Obviously this is made from quite a cheap fabric, but maybe in a decent material and with the comm rationalised into the correct shape, maaaybe?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Brawnfire posted:

I just think a speaker grille is weirdly low-tech in terms of Trek stuff. Like I get it *works* but it almost seems like something they should have a more elegant solution for by then

Taking a guess as someone who has to fix stuff on set - those holes were drilled live on set the best they could, when they discovered just how warm and moist a dude Beltran is. I don't recall them being on the other suits.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Marshal Radisic posted:

I got the story straight from the Memory Alpha for TWOK. I know next to nothing about making clothes, so my assumption that the turtlenecks with a particular form of trapunto quilting that requires specialized equipment that wasn't easy for a Hollywood production in the early 1980s to acquire.

I suspect it was more to do with turnaround times. Yes you could get the equipment/machines, but not within x working days. 26 episodes per year and I assume not a full year shooting means you don't really have more than a week prep per ep and sometimes those scripts do not come very far in advance. It's a real shame there wasn't a guerilla camera unit in the art dept during Peak Trek of the 90s because I would love to see a week in the life of running those shows.

Powered Descent posted:

The sloped shoulders make everyone look like they're slouching all the time.

(Also, what is going on with those wizard-robe-sleeves-over-normal-sleeves?)

I hate them. I hate the shape, I hate the stripes, I hate the slouching effect, I hate the re-manufactured fat FC commbadges, I hate the fat PADDs hiding real iPads. I honestly can't think of a single bit of industrial design in that show that I like. (in it's defence I loved the Space Flowers)

Malaise era.

twistedmentat posted:

The Picard uniforms looked weirdly tailored, like they made them in a hurry without properly mesuring the actors that were going to wear them. And Disco uniforms look like track suits, or pajamas.

Both TNG-era uniforms in Picard looked really cheap/thin - I wondered if they were off-the-shelf ones (would make sense for how briefly it was on screen).

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

pyrotek posted:

That felt about 90% like a pilot for a good Star Wars show, and the last 10% like Star Trek.

The curse of modern Trek.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
My hope is that the Pike Show ends up being Trek’s Mandalorian, but hope is oft misplaced when it comes to Trek.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Cross-Section posted:

not the first time a star trek weapon has looked like a home appliance

Maybe it's just because the 80's are now charmingly quaint, but I've really come around on the first season TNG phasers and trics. Chunky, round, anoymous beige weapons aren't very exciting but they're quite a good example of the Utopia aesthetic (we'll gloss over the fact they're impossible to aim)

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Discovery makes me feel so old.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH THE WAY BOOK SAYS STUFF

tri-CORDER
temp-ural

is time a lightly battered vegetable now?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I think Disco could be really good if it could just chill the gently caress out for 15 minutes.

Pick 2-3 of your Insane Dramas and spread it out over a season, rather than per episode!

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
I'd argue that a single punching beam is sleeker, but I get your point.

It feels like it was only DS9 that made really good use of the visual of the Galaxy-class dorsal phaser array in action, was sort of wasted potential in TNG (like a lot of TNG)

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
The DS9 doc was generally quite a painful experience, I thought.

But yeah, RIP Nog and Odo. What a shitter.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Kesper North posted:

You didn't enjoy Garak giving the writers menacing notes?

Andrew Robinson is the exception to most things.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

CaptainSkinny posted:

Overall, that episode is in the top episodes of Discovery that feel like Star Trek. Just with a budget. It wasn't perfect, but it has a clear moral and Saru used diplomacy over violence, and never caved into the hard choices, hard people thing.

This is the fucker about Disco, I think I could probably write it off but it does frequently have a core of Good Star Trek about it, which Picard can't manage. I know Trek is supposed to mirror our times to tell it's story and trust in institutions is at an all time low, but I honestly don't find anything to enjoy in a Trek where Starfleet is corrupt and the Federation is poo poo. At least Disco is quite good at having people be Not Dickheads In Space.

If they could stop making Burnham the Trek version of DW's Clara and then send Yeoh off do the Section 31 show that I will definitely not watch, it'd all be a lot better.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Like the scene in S1? 2? of Stamets and Culber talking about love while brushing their teeth was the most human, and sincere, Trek has been in ages and ages and ages, little moments like that keep me coming back but then ALL THE DILITHIUM BLOWS UP

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
My gf just reminded me of the pimp hat and frenchie accent in Picard and I'm sad again.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

skasion posted:

it was the most fun I had with the show

best of times / worst of times

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Finally saw E2

- Quite missed the Disco crew, when they're not doing tediously Big Speeches they're a nice gang and I want to see them get better scripts

- Getting a bit bored of starships crashing into planets being A Thing

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
88 seems like a small number given how well-packed the corridor scenes are - most shots should like S2 TNG where there's just no fucker about. Disco is quite a small ship though (in terms of habitable space)

edit: at least I think it is - always hard to trust windows for scale and I've not looked into it's size much but it looked small on the ground.

happyhippy posted:

loving scary that its now not possible to get off the ground or past your solar system.

Probably an apt route to take for our own doomed species.

echoplex fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Oct 25, 2020

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

MikeJF posted:

Picard should have an evolved look of the 24th century shows. Take what was and create an evolution on it that's still in the same family.

Picard looks bad, top to bottom. The Daystrom looked like a season 1 Black Mirror set (this is not a good thing).

I don't know why it looked like this, low budget explains some things but not overall aesthetic. There seems to be a real push to make this not look like a Star Trek, which makes me wonder who this show is made for

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Ah, I'm massively out of the loop on games. Does that explain the uniforms too?

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Yvonmukluk posted:

Weren’t they even referred to as ‘Bloods and Crips’ in some of the early internal production documents? Voyager really didn’t start out on the right foot, did it?

Ooof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Finally finished Disco. We stopped when the Mirror eps were coming because we were just so bored of Space Hitler's dialogue, bored of Culber earnestly caring for her, bored of it all. Ended up skipping those and just getting it over and done with.

It just maddens me that Disco cannot get it's poo poo together. It has a good cast, some of whom I actually liked seeing again, it's finally in a period where it's existence makes sense / is actually interesting, and then they keep doing epic dumb stuff like the burn, every other situation being Burnham Without A Cause for the sole reason of making everyone else look like stick in the mud nerds, the Georgiou arc that never went anywhere or did anything, a fourth captain for a fourth year, and an even heavier reliance on endless group close-up moments where people get tear-y about someone leaving the room. It frequently has kernels of good ideas; the main cast is solid enough now to spread the load across, Saru had actually grown as a character, and they'd toned down Stamets, but there's still a long way to go.

Not going to even think about the absurdity of the Turbolift Dimension apparently lurking on what I understood to be a small ship (when it landed on the ice it looked small, apparently it's almost as long as the E-D, whatever, still doesn't work)