Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

twistedmentat posted:

I really doubt P-Stew would have come back if he had not liked what they wanted to do.

My take on Disco is that is problems lay in it trying to be prestige TV over being Star Trek TV. So you get lots of overly wrought emotional scenes with episodes being about Relationships rather than Star Treks regular fair. It's the whole sociological to psychological storytelling thing, where the story is about the characters influencing the world rather than the world influencing the characters. I think I have that terminology right.

I think Discovery could take some queues from The Witcher. The Witcher wasn't amazing TV or anything, but its script matched the tone they were going for. It was written more like a genre show then trying to be a prestige show, but they put the money in to make it look like a prestige show.

Discovery needs to have writers who are trying to write Star Trek instead of trying to write whatever the "prestige" version of Star Trek is. Then let the production take care of itself, because it's already proved itself.

Sure, people will complain that it's not prestige enough, but who cares, as long as it's Star Trek enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Nitrousoxide posted:

I come to start trek for the optimistic stories for the future like (checks notes) a collapsing, backwards fascist federation fighting to hold on the the scraps it has left

Something like...90%? of Star Trek has nothing to do with the Federation or an optimistic story about the future. I come to Star Trek because it's a malleable enough setting for interesting stories, of many different types and genres, about the world we live in along with new, clever takes and possibilities. Which (checks notes) Discovery hasn't really delivered on that much, to be fair.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Farcsape was great, and the world those people lived in was terrible, Just terrible. It didn't matter, because it was a great setting for interesting stories of all types, and when it DID do worldbuilding, it was (for the most part) consistent and clever. And of course, the show had a real sense of fun, which made it hit even harder when it wanted to be serious.

That's one of the reasons I don't think an optimistic setting is nearly as important as some people think it is. It is more important to be clever and consistent, especially in the writing. Time will tell if Discovery will get there or if Picard faces a similarly laborious journey. If anything, Discovery could do with LESS leaning on the worldbuilding and more stuff that's just explorations of what's 'out there.' Maybe getting out of the hole of rigid canon and 'what can't be discovered yet' will give them some breathing room.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 22, 2020

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Picard is "haunted" by Boothby, who actually lives in a orange candle he keeps by his bed.

Also boothby fucks him

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Thom12255 posted:

That's going to be weird.

Yeah. I hadn't heard that, but if true, my guess would be they used it as a temporary track at the premiere or with review copies.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

No advance screening for critics? Is that something people do in TV?

Review copies were sent out. The reviews are embargoed, which is actually pretty common in streaming TV.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can't imagine they'd be embargoed past the premier, yeah.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

zoux posted:

So the "quantum archive" was that a hologram of the painting or what

If I had to come up with an explanation, that would be it. All of your belongings are stored as transporter pattern in computer memory and can be reconstituted as a hologram for you to view if you are at the archives. And they can be withdrawn from memory (which would remove the transporter pattern from memory, because something something transporter buffers. And I'd make up some line like how it uses a modified version of Montgomery Scott's buffer switch feature as a little nod. And, let's say, it can't do living things because of what happened to Franklin (he deserved better) so you can't store people inside it, DS9's spy episode notwithstanding. Maybe it CAN store humans but it's ethically frowned upon because of the chance for degradation. That would leave it open as a "gently caress it, we have no other choice" option but still make it hard to do.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Storing it in a climate and atmosphere controlled case seemed kind of contradictory with storing it in whatever "quantum storage" is. If it's a transporter buffer or a replicator, then why keep it in that case? Nothing will happen to it while it is being stored.

I just chalk that up to visual storytelling. That or maybe when you access the records it's not a hologram, it's the real thing, but they're stored as data.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

There are four lights!

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Admiral Crunch.

He was promoted.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Dark Admiral Jean-Luc Hyperriker.

or

Jean-Luc. Not the human, the weird alien child who was also the kid from Dream On (and maybe Robocop 2?) who was rescued and named by Riker and never mentioned again.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

The Utopia Planitia shipyards are, I always presumed, at Utopia Planitia on Mars. They're not called the 'Mars orbital shipyards.' I took the orbital parts to be the last step.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

We don't know that the Federation has 'become rotten,' either. We have bits and clues and a general idea that the Federation (or at the very least, Starfleet) has turned inward.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Building large ships would be easier in Zero G.

Counterpoint: Star Trek physics has little to do with real physics

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

The Bloop posted:

The two still pictures of lower decks look NOTHING like Rick and Morty

Other than being animated humanoids I guess. If anything they look like the new SheRa or something, not exaggerated drooling bigheads

Faceblnd goons are also cartoonblind, maybe?

I mean, I like Big Mean Jerk, but he's also an Astros fan, so, you know. Questionable judgment.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

It's just easy visual shorthand for futuretech. Ignore the practicality of it just like you ignore the practicality of a computer that can instantly communicate across the ship to whoever you shout out without explicit prompting and with no perceivable delay.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I hope we find out that all of the poo poo that Starfleet and the Federation are going through is all because they promoted Janeway to an admiral. It would be the ultimate payoff for Voyager.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Thom12255 posted:

Bringing back the syndrome from All Good Things is a good plot device to use if Patrick dies while they're filming I guess and to remove his presence from the show and maybe if that doesn't happen, with the borg plot, they can have borg tech repair it

It'd be pretty weird to have Star Trek: Picard without Picard. Not saying they wouldn't do that, it'd just be weird.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

marktheando posted:

Also a 2D map of space is not very meaningful. Maybe the Romulan empire is shorter in length and width compared to the federation, but greater in height.

Much like the planets of our solar system are all roughly on the ecliptic, much of the stellar content of our galaxy is in a roughly planar configuration. (Of course, the width of that plane is several thousand light years, even at the edges.)

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I think you can fanwank a better explanation than "they're just cosplayers."

They need to build more ships in less time than they ever have before. Even with the incredible technology of the Federation, there's only so much power available for non-critical systems like replicators. So, sort of like how Voyager, Yesterday's Enterprise TNG and I bet DS9 warships had replicator rations and other non-standard hardships. Basically, the conditions were like that because there was a huge time-crunch and they worked with what they had.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Lizard Combatant posted:

Me, I was saying I didn't think such a swing was properly motivatied.

Well, poo poo, I don't think the change in the ideological structure of America (and frankly, much of the western world) was properly motivated either, but it sure did happen.

Edit: That said, it's storytelling, and I agree it should have some motivation in the text. Is the Mars thing enough? Probably not, but we don't know if it will get fleshed out more in the future or not. I can see them making the argument that a bunch of wars and superweapons happened and then the Mars thing was just the thing that tipped everything over - but they should at least make that argument onscreen.

large_gourd posted:

That's kind of a weird comparison. What do you think has changed drastically about the US since 2000?

Our basic relationship with the facts vs narratives? The rise of hyper-polarization and political gatekeeping? This affects both sides of the aisle to varying degrees. But look at it this way - there are now people that are out and proud nazis in America - and they have political power. I can't look around and say that things haven't changed, drastically. I don't know what it will lead to, but I'm also not a doomsayer, necessarily - pendulums are always swinging.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Feb 4, 2020

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Hey, stakes and a plot! We were missing those!

It's not great TV, it's barely above Agents of Shield. That doesn't mean I can't enjoy it. (I happen to love Agents of Shield, so yeah. Let any of your perceptions of my opinions be colored by that going forward.)

I wonder if there's something synthetic [NOT borg] in the Romulan background - maybe what got them expelled from Vulcan in the first place - and that synthetic thing interfered/messed with the Borg enough to render the cube inert and the collective to want nothing to do with it.

I agree that the show is kind of running roughshod over the "24th century paradise Earth" conceit. I confess that was never what I cared about with regards to Star Trek, but I do understand those who did care about it and how they might view this series as almost a spit in the face. I see it. I get you. I understand. Yeah, I don't think you're going to like this show. Shaka, when the walls fell.

asphanash, his mentality different. So far I dig it.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Tighclops posted:

This is more damning with faint praise than anything I've typed about it so far

Oh, I completely agree. You will not find me saying this show is amazing or brilliant or a must-watch. It seems to be (so far) avoiding some of Discovery's more egregious errors, while at the same time leaning into certain things that may turn some people the wrong way.

I think it will just be fun. Which, you know. Is fine. As a Star Trek fan, I'm happy with a show that's fine. Most of Star Trek is just fine mixed with occasional jolts of brilliance and occasional bursts of poo poo. What you want to avoid is a steady stream of Voyager.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

Why does THE CUBE make Zerg noises

You don't want to go to the lower levels

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

In 24th century Japan, sunglasses are still cool

It'd be even better if she was smoking

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Tokelau All Star posted:

I figure dodgy dudes with ships accept payment in a shitload of good quality booze.

also in shoulder-piercing accessories

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Eiba posted:

It is, in obvious fact, an incredibly fine house. Lovely location, spacious, clearly well kept. There's nothing materially wrong with her life at all.

He's not wrong that it's sloppy.

But holy poo poo is Star Trek full of slop like that. I'm not trying to excuse the show for being sloppy - it should be the best show it can be - but at the same time, Star Trek was never "Breaking Bad" and it's kind of silly to expect a new Star Trek show to be of that caliber. It's got a lot more money thrown into it, yeah, and it's shot with a lot more money, absolutely. But that's more "the way you shoot TV now" than "it's trying to be Homicide: Life On The Street!"

Star Trek was fun, sloppy, entertaining, interesting, boring, preachy as gently caress, occasionally thrilling, sometimes with aspects of horror, sometimes with comedy, sometimes just drat good stories. What I like about Star Trek is that it's a good scaffolding for stories of all different types. I nerd out over details like any of us, but these things aren't holy texts. They're syndicated entertainment.

Any argument brought up against this show can be shown aside episodes from every one of the TV shows. Most of them, in fact, are about as good or worse television than what we've gotten from Picard. I agree, a couple dozen of them are excellent, and we have yet to see something on that level from New Trek. So I'm waiting for that, sure. But to be disappointed in every episode because it's not loving genius? It rubs against the minutea of the lore? Maybe I'm just not enough of a "Star Trek fan" to care.

(And it's at this moment that I realize how much time and effort I am putting into defending my position. I guess I do care.)

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Timeless Appeal posted:

I also don't like how Picard quit so easily after being fired. Like, the Picard I know would have convinced the Klingons to rescue the Romulans because being rescued by their enemy instead of dying bravely is the ultimate defeat or something like that.

You wanted MORE episodes of exposition?

j/k, I agree that it was rushed, and could have been placed elsewhere, maybe later in the season, with a bit more background. This episode should have at least been episode 2, with some things moved around a bit. P. Stew may be spry for 70+ but I'm guessing they had to come up with a lot of excuses to get him to be able to sit down.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Lizard Combatant posted:

And I don't think canon is a holy text, if you can be arsed reading my posts (yknow, if you've got literally nothing else better to do, knock yourself out) you'll see I don't give a crap about the minutia of canon.

Yeah, I'm not saying you specifically do. As I've said before, your points are solid as gently caress. We see things in much the same way.

I think if anything you're a little hard on Star Trek for not being as good as the best TV there is, but like you say, every show should be the best it can be. But I also kind of think it so happens that there's only so much talent in the world, and Alex Kurtzman (like Berman before him) isn't such an amazing producer that he can attract the best talent anywhere. We work with what we have, as they say. So far, it's good enough for me. It's definitely not facepalimingly, horribly bad. (Again, for me.)

There are a few people in here (and elsewhere) who do approach ST like it's holy, though, and I figured I'd write my feelings down for everyone to first see and then ignore or ridicule.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

What we should REALLY be looking for are the Ronald D. Moore and Brian Fuller types that come out of working on a show like this (or the Orville, etc.) Those are the ones that give workmanlike shows a touch of brilliance, and then move on to create interesting things. (Not always ultimately fulfilling things, mind you, but interesting things.)

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

So I'm guessing that this Freecloud place is a Romulan refugee planet or something. Or maybe just a planet that happens to have a no humans allowed section that refugee Romulans live in.

Also, page 69, nice.

nice

I legit thought Freecloud would be, like, facebook or something by the way it was introduced.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Anyway though it turns out that if you lose your job you go live in a trailer in the desert.

I appreciate the effort put into this (entire) post.

And now I kind of want to move to the desert. Should I get fired first?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

It's super loving silly, they in no way needed the glasses. The menacing subtext was already there.

And part of me is glad they didn't go with 'futuristic sunglasses' as if there's some sort of amazing 24th century leap in sunglasses technology...while another part of me totally wants to see that.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

dudeness posted:

I think I need to stop thinking of Picard as Star Trek. Maybe that'll help. It's just Patrick Stewart playing John Luke Pikart. Yeah thats it.

This is the franchise that had the ship's doctor be hosed by an Irish space ghost who also hosed her grandmother. And hosed her good, too. Like, that was part of the message.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Tighclops posted:

oh my goooo

awesome

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Now we need a starfleet: miami spinoff

"It seems like this resistance...wasn't so futile."

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Regarde Aduck posted:

Yeah one random line isn't something that should be considered hard canon.

Picard has problems, the same problems as a lot of modern media, but this isn't one of them.

What DS9 did to the Trill RUINED STAR TREK

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Lizard Combatant posted:

However, in lieu of a shot, a line from "faith of the heart" may be sung in full if you're unable to consume large amounts of hard liquor.

NO ONE'S GONNA BEND OR BREAK ME!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Paper Lion posted:

complete systemic collapse on the part of the Federation in the way shown so far in Picard is deeply antithetical to the core message and premise of Trek as a whole.

I'm already on record as disagreeing with this being the core premise of Trek, but I'm willing to hear the argument. Still, I don't think Trek's premise is embodied by any one particular organization. If anything, isn't the message more that humans will try to do the right thing, but it's the organizations that can get in the way?