Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think there is a lot of stuff that is not in the trailers to avoid spoilers

Even the space combat stuff is just quick cuts so we can’t see what’s going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

funkymonks posted:

I really really dislike super serialized Star Trek. When DS9 first aired (and shows with similar structure like Babylon 5, Farscape, Stargate, etc), I didn't appreciate what it was doing at the time having a coherent arc while also having plenty of breathing room to develop characters. I just wanted them to get on with the main plot. Well that's all we get now and I hate it.
That’s more of a modern TV thing now

Nobody’s going to pay for 26 episodes in a season for this kind of expensive show

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Croatoan posted:

All Good Things was great but they just had to have an enterprise upgrade with a third nacelle. :doh:
It’s loving great

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Disco will significantly improve when they stop filming the first drafts of the script

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

HD DAD posted:

Disco is like the kid who’s under a fuckton of pressure to succeed, and burns itself out while trying to do 400 extracurriculars at once.

The good news is those kids tend to become super chill and smoke a lot of weed. Or they kill themselves. But hopefully more of the former.
Season 3 is going to completely change the premise of the show so I think that qualifies

What will be interesting is if they actually stay in the future or not

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Drink-Mix Man posted:

They'll probably stay in the future so they can have fewer continuity issues to juggle as they plan 2-5 other shows set in the 23rd/24th Century.
Michelle Yeoh's character is going to have to find a way to get back somehow, unless the S31 show takes place during that short period between the end of S1 of Disco and S2

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Good news, they’re bringing back Leland T Lynch

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Croatoan posted:

This is why although we haven't seen him in the trailers I assume Geordi will show up? Right? idk
If he does appear there have been no leaks about it yet

Although someone found a while back that Michael Dorn was on the Picard set at some point. Just no confirmation he is actually on the show.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Someone posted the theory that the Romulans are trying to capture one of those super androids to use the tech to create an army, which is certainly possible. What I'll be curious about is whether we find out if there is still a Romulan Empire or if it collapsed after 2387.

I am also very curious as to how Seven and those other ex-Borg play into this, and whether this show is going to establish that the Borg are gone now.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I want to see Ensign Harry Kim in the background somewhere. Picard walks past him on a Starship and he tries to say he's been waiting for a promotion but they walk past too fast and the door closes on him.
He's Boothby now

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

i would be surprised if Lore was involved at all since Data says at the end of Descent Part 2 that he deactivated him, and they at least make it seem like that’s the end of Lore. But who knows.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Nemesis was the last time the TNG cast really appeared in Trek, so it was bound to come up again

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MichiganCubbie posted:

That was actually never canon before a few years ago, when it was officially "canonized," IIRC.
I wouldn’t count that as official

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think like 39 ships were lost in Wolf 359

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

Also, as someone who actually mostly likes DISCO, I was pleasantly surprised to see Dahj's fridged BF was a Xahean. In fact, the show was pretty good about using established Trek humanoid aliens, the make-up artist for the journalist was Bajoran, and one of the crew was a Trill.
There was a Tellarite (Disco redesign) next to the Trill

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Jay's turning sexist? I haven't noticed. He just seems more smug...
Yeah I don't buy into this at all

He's a super nerd that is more into older horror movies than anything else

Just watched him and Jack talking about Tron and Tron Legacy, which was good

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Probably either space mines to keep someone from tractor beaming it away or to blow the poo poo out of it if the cube reactivates suddenly, because the Romulans are hella paranoid like that. Or some kind of gravity tethers to hold the cube in place and keep it from drifting through space.
I'm guessing it's the latter since the thing is so massive

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Are there any time travel fictions that work on the premise of time not being linear? We always have to think that if we go back in the past and change this or that, it must have consequences for the future but in our world the nature of time is still kind of mysterious and in a fictional world you're obviously free to construct time to work however you want. Go back in time, kill your dad, go back to present and you still exist both with a dad and a dead dad.
The Prophets on DS9 do not see time linearly and are very confused about beings that do. Everything has already happened, in their view.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I am not that well versed in physics, but isn't the whole idea of warp drive that it cheats relativity because you are warping space to go FTL?

I know the show also says that they used 'subspace communication' to have instantaneous communication across space as well, although that is not something that is very well explained

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I’m sorry, but why would the government be encouraging people to just do gay sex

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Thom12255 posted:

I'm going to go with ignore - the first episode already got flak from critics for spending awhile doing scenes purely for exposition. I doubt they're going to mention anything else that hasn't made its way into the general culture beyond very unimportant easter eggs for fans.
Picard takes place in 2399. The Dominion War ended in 2375, so it's been almost 25 years. I would be very surprised if that has any real impact on the series at all.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I do think it's a little weird that the Federation, or at least some of the people in it, would blame the Romulans for an attack carried out by a lab experiment on Earth

Doesn't make a lot of sense for there to be that much xenophobia against the Romulans, but we also don't have the full picture yet

I don't have a problem with them trying to make a 21st century analogy with the plot of the show, but it needs to be done properly.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

MikeJF posted:

The description of lower decks is that they're on a 'second contact' ship that comes after the fancy explorers breeze in and out and does all the paperwork.
Yes we call that the USS Hood

Hoping it’s not trash. The TNG Season 8 guy is apparently the head writer

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Personally I’m surprised that they did a Re:View already. With Discovery they did one partway through the first season, after the first season, and after the second season.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I ordered a couple of Eaglemoss XL Starships, my Trek fandom is back in full force!
Which ones

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Here's a minute or so clip from what I assume is this week's episode where we get more information about the Borg Cube

POTENTIAL EPISODE SPOILERS

https://www.ign.com/videos/picard-take-a-closer-look-inside-the-borg-ship

I found it interesting that they refer to this as a 'Borg artifact', at least implying that the Collective is no more. Although the Romulan overseer does say that it could still be potentially dangerous. It's also pretty muffled but I think the guy says that this ship is Romulan property? Those people standing around are clearly Federation scientists (there is a background Andorian as well).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This show is having some similar problems to Discovery in that the editing is done by someone on speed.

Picard's doctor walks in, and that scene speeds through so fast to the commercial break that I had to rewind it.

Ep 2 Spoiler thoughts

I thought it was OK, but they kind of clumsily set up some new characters here like the Vulcan Admiral who seems to be corrupt and a Romulan operative that I guess is surgically altered to pass as human? They just gloss over that fact really fast and also that she's Narek's older sister.

I do find it interesting that it appears they are going to establish that the Romulans have been gradually taking Borg drones out of stasis over a long time and removing their implants. I think in that one surgery scene the one doctor says that the drone had been in stasis for 12 years. More interestingly, we see (and they reference) 'reclaimed' Borg drones working on the project. However, I have a feeling that they are being forced into doing the work and are basically slaves for the Romulans, but we'll see.

Someone else brought it up, but they also referenced the 'Romulan Free State'. I just wonder if that is going to be a splinter government from the Empire or the newer version of the Empire post-Romulus destruction. There's a modified Romulan logo on the cube that is no longer holding Romulus and Remus in its talons, so I'm wondering if that is the Free State or not.

What's also unclear to me is, who orchestrated the synth attack on Mars. I am doubtful that it's the super-secret Romulan group since they hate synths so much. It sure looks like something reprograms the synth before he starts to hack into the Utopia Planitia network to turn the weapons onto the planet. But the impression I'm getting from these Romulan operatives is that they don't want to use the synths for anything, just destroy them.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I’m skeptical that the original actor who played Maddox will appear at all. I checked and he’s been a professor for some time and retired from acting.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I don’t understand how it’s possible to cover up an explosion the size of the one we saw in the first episode. No one else saw that?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The idea that Romulans are androids would be a bit much for me to believe after how long they have been in the franchise. Now, maybe the secret organization’s leader could be an android, but there’s no way they could have kept that kind of secret for centuries.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I said come in! posted:

It's not much better though. It's a Borg cube, controlled by the Romulans and clearly wanted to be worked on in secret, yet they are just hiring random people around the galaxy to work and live there? This entire Borg plot thing is so confusing right now. Like, I get revealing stuff slowly, but this is just written like fan fiction and is only there because its cool.

It sounded like this Cube got disconnected from the Collective for *reasons* and went inactive. There’s a line about being careful because they don’t want to accidentally reactivate the thing and have it contact the Collective which tells me that the Borg are not totally gone, just that maybe some of them were disconnected from the collective.

I’m curious as to how both Seven and Hugh figure into the plot.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Ro may be dead by this point. The Jem’Hadar wiped out the Maquis to the last man.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

That was Ray Wise (Arturis). He was great because he finally put Janeway in her loving place.

Arturis: You negotiated an agreement with the Borg Collective! Safe passage through their space. And in return, you helped them defeat one of their enemies.
Seven of Nine: Species 8472.
Arturis: In your colorful language, yes. Species 8472. Did it ever occur to you that there were those of us in the Delta Quadrant who had a vested interest in that war? Victory would've meant the annihilation of the Borg, but you couldn't see beyond the bow of your own ship!
Janeway: In my estimation, Species 8472 posed a greater threat than the Borg.
Arturis: WHO WERE YOU TO MAKE THAT DECISION?! A stranger to this quadrant!

Janeway was responsible for the assimilation of his entire species, save a few thousand. Makes you wonder how many more species she helped assimilate by defeating Species 8472.

Though maybe she made up for it between the combines effects of liberating the Borg that were all a part of Unimatrix Zero, and then her future self infecting them with a virus of sorts.
We also find out later that the Borg were the aggressors against Species 8472, and that ultimately Species 8472 was not a threat to the quadrant and were just confused as to why the hell these weird alien robots were invading their dimension

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Angry Salami posted:

I didn't think it was meant to be secret - the Trill woman says she had to get some sort of clearance from the new Romulan government, so I assumed she applied to work there, not that she was recruited by them. And Dahj and her sister were in regular correspondence with each other, so there's no communications blackout or anything.
Yeah it's not secret, it's definitely some kind of joint project between the Romulans and some part of the Federation science departments. Most of the background extras are from Federation worlds like Andorians.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

CaveGrinch posted:

Track titles are up for the first five episodes of Picard’s soundtrack.

Spoilers if you go searching. Nothing shocking, but...

I guess this is the first confirmation that we will actually see Maddox show up? The question is whether it will be the original actor or not.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Track 26 has me more intrigued. Are we gonna see The Doctor show up? Or at least a version of him?
I can see why you would say that, but that title is so vague, who knows

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

My main issue with the Disco uniforms is that they all look the same and it's not color coded by department like in all other series.

I think the Disco Enterprise uniforms are a good modernization of the old TOS ones.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Lizard Combatant posted:

There you go, fill it out yourself.
I laughed way too hard at this

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Drink-Mix Man posted:

New "leak" from a clickbait site alleges the following details for future Trek series:

-The return of Sisko for S2 of Picard, in a story that focuses on the Q Continuum and includes Janeway and Guinan. If Avery Brooks doesn't return as Sisko, they'll "get someone else to play him" (like Cirroc Lofton)
-S4 of Discovery will be about the Dominion
-Section 31 will be about the Gorn and Orions
-They are making a CW-style young adult drama called "Starfleet Academy."

https://boundingintocomics.com/2020...jsiP3MFPwV-fH24
Uhhhh considering Discovery gets sent to like the year 3200, I’m not sure why the Dominion would come up

I think i have heard the Starfleet Academy reports before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

San Diego Spoonheads has a good ring to it