Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Not sure how I feel about the writing making a big deal about how Dahj is a wonderful, unique being shortly before dousing her in acid, blowing her up, and to add insult to injury, revealing that, thankfully, there's a spare so the plot can continue. Don't get me wrong, I'm intrigued by the twist and still wanna see where the show goes with it, but lol poor Dahj

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

HD DAD posted:

Did anyone else think Dahj’s exploding effect looked a little wonky? It’s like she disappeared a little too quickly. Or maybe that’ll factor in later? :tinfoil:

I was actually surprised by how graphic it was (that split second of the explosion stripping away her flesh, etc.) but also I won't deny that the bit of incidental dialogue afterwards noting that she actually didn't appear on any security feeds likely hints at some intrigue later on

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 23, 2020

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

pyrotek posted:

I also thought that Picard getting blown backwards in San Francisco and waking up being tended to at La Barre, France by his Romulan friends instead of medical professionals was weird.

Yeah, the odd framing of it all made me think they were about to reveal that most of the episode up to that point had been a dream.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

zoux posted:

Why would anyone on earth shop at a ferengi establishment

Why wouldn't they, after Grand Nagus Rom's many reforms?

e:fb

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

TrekCore's been posting some curious background tidbits:

https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/1221568498989535233
https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/1221523202293157888
https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/1221529536145346560

I wonder if this Soji was another AI construct like Mom, or the actual person we see in the last scene.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

skasion posted:

This was a pretty fun episode. I’m not sure I fully grasped the byplay of the conspirators. Is the evil commodore supposed to be a Vulcan or a Romulan impersonating a Vulcan or what? She’s obviously evil, her name doesn’t sound obviously Vulcan or Romulan, and she doesn’t seem especially dispassionate or logical, but she also doesn’t seem to be a Zhat Vash(sp?) since she wants to get some kind of knowledge about the androids instead of just smoke them, unlike “Rizzo” or bucktooth guy (have we heard this guy’s name yet?) Not sure who is playing whom here.

Rizzo calls her an "ally" so I guess the implication is that she's a Vulcan they turned.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Among other things, this episode felt like a casualty of the extended episode order.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The most interesting stuff in this episode was on the cube, but even that was largely limited to one short scene inexplicably cut down to half a dozen 15-30 second bits spread across the whole episode.
This especially was bordering on ridiculous.

That said, they got me when the TMP/TNG theme kicked into gear as the ship warped away.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

Did I imagine it or did Soji's Borg detector go off as Ramdha started going spare?

You did not imagine it.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Two-takes Frakes strikes again! Fun ep.

Also, I'm starting to think Narissa is not actually a sister by blood but rather a "secret Romulan cabal" sister

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

- Did I miss a line that explained why the old bird-of-prey was trying to kill them? I get that it's commanded by an evil warlord and stuff, but even they don't just kill everyone they see.

I got the impression that he's probably out for revenge like the Ex-Senator guy, since he starts booking it for Vashti around the same time the public feeds start blasting Picard's whereabouts

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

mfny posted:

Yeah, its just so .. instantly offputting. It looks like the cargo bay or some other utility section of a much larger ship actually now that I think about it.

Also its hard to tell where the other rooms are in relation to the main section ? (we have seen I think 3 different rooms so far on the ship)

Al this probably sounds nitpicky to some but yeah coming from The Expanse and Killjoys where the Hero Ship internal design very quickly makes some kind of sense the La Sirena is a bit of a bummer especially with Trek usually being good about this stuff.

So, here's La Sirena:

Weirdly, the more I look at this, the more I like it. It's basically the starship equivalent of a studio apartment, which works perfectly for Rios in regards to his character and status. You can totally imagine him hauling cargo for a short-term gig with this setup.

Plus, there are separate rooms connecting to the space, looking in the background and maybe that lower deck area (accessible by a handy lil' stepladder).

edit: I also dig the likely-unintentional callback to the lovely Merchantman bridge from ST3, which literally was just consoles and chairs in front of some crates

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 15, 2020

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

TLJ is good, Picard is good, what is with these cynical-rear end takes

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Tony’s cabin is in Georgia.

Riker’s cabin was in The Great Outdoors though
https://twitter.com/trekcore/status/1235758305693315081?s=21

Just imagine a Riker sex candle ghost episode but it’s John Candy visiting him each night.

shields UP, run anti-candy scan

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

They really did some deep cut TNG references this ep, first in Picard talking about his days about the Reliant (a detail that wasn't even canon until the Measure of a Man extended cut from a few years back) and then, learning that this cool gal eventually made Captain.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Lol can't this thread go one page without sourcing (or linking to an article sourcing) TheGWW

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Bubbacub posted:

It actually really bums me out that Star Trek has fallen into the same stupid space battle trap that Star Wars has. A dense wall of static ships doesn't look cool or seem impressive. Especially whey they're all identical and ugly. :(

I mean at least it made sense for the Romulans since their ships are already pretty homogenized, plus it's the Tal Shiar/Zhat Vash, so they probably would go for a fleet of nimble fast assault warbirds anyway

But Riker's fleet being a few dozen cruiser-looking ships of precisely two different classes was some budget poo poo

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I guess the implication with Narek’s story is that the proto-Vulcan species that Romulans and Vulcans are both descendants of didn’t originate on Vulcan and that was one of their legends.

That or the Romulans created the myth to downplay the schism from Vulcan, by saying that they were a "wayfaring" race to begin with.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Pike series is now real and has a season order:

THR posted:

CBS All Access is firing up the USS Enterprise.

The streamer has handed out a straight-to-series order for Star Trek: Discovery spinoff Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. The drama will see Anson Mount, Ethan Peck and Rebecca Romijn reprise their respective Discovery roles as Capt. Christopher Pike, Spock and Number One as the series explores the years the former manned the helm of the Enterprise. The show follows the trio in the decade before Capt. Kirk boarded the Enterprise as they explore new worlds around the galaxy.

Alex Kurtzman will oversee the drama, as he does with all things Star Trek for CBS All Access. The series premiere was written by Akiva Goldsman, who collaborated with Discovery bosses Kurtzman and Jenny Lumet on the story. The trio exec produce alongside Henry Alonso Myers, Kurtzman's Secret Hideout topper Heather Kadin, Rod Roddenberry and Trevor Roth. Aaron Baiers, Akela Cooper and Davy Perez co-exec produce.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-pike-spock-series-set-at-cbs-all-access-1294704

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I'm cautiously optimistic towards Lower Decks, but I'm probably still going to wait to watch it until Discovery S3 is out as well. No sense in stringing the All Access sub out longer than I really have to.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Martytoof posted:

I will never not guffaw at the Cerritos just NOPEing out of that Borg battle in the credits :lmao:

But I love how they still go for the Heroic Warping-Out Camera Angle ala

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

shades of eternity posted:

The hubris of into darkness is worse then faith of the heart.

I'm not supposed to giggle when spock and khan were fighting on the top of a shuttle. :p

It wasn't even a shuttle, it was a garbage truck

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Eagerly awaiting whatever dumbass political event/galaxy-spanning terror #473 is "the Burn" that caused the Federation to fall apart the galaxy to take a hard left :rolleyes:

I'm kinda just hoping that it's some massive gravity anomaly that literally flings trillions of beings into the nearest bulkhead

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Love the cameo at the end

I don't know which cameo I'm looking forward to more, this one or Kurtwood Smith's

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

It is my pet theory that Voyager operated solely on Janeway sneaking into Engineering during third watch and screaming directly at the warp core for an hour. It helped offset Torres trying to climb into it and murder it with her bare hands in a fit of rage every other day.

there's coffee in that internalized rage

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

a mountain of entertainment :geno:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

MikeJF posted:

No changes to the flyby.

:actually:

They added the reflection in this shot:

You know, just in case you didn't already grok that Kirk wants to gently caress the ship

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/LordHobbers/status/1313152227809415168?s=20
drat, it works

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

echoplex posted:

I quite like Discovery, but it's just... a lot. I would happily take that cast doing a fix the breadmaker episode.

I feel like the Mudd episode in S1 was this to me. S2... I dunno, maybe the New Eden episode?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

mfw they spray me with space drugs

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

HOLY gently caress posted:

Only ironically. :smuggo: Lights hurt and I haven’t slept for 3 days, that’s normal, right?

^also yeah, the hand cannon things were ridiculous. looked like a hairdryer

not the first time a star trek weapon has looked like a home appliance

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I liked the Cargo Cult Starfleet guy, but he raises questions. His father and grandfather managed to have kids while still performing vital Sitting In A Room Doing Nothing duties, does that mean that station still has a sizable population? Or has everyone left but him?

I think he said that his father and grandfather were in the service but actually serving on ships, whereas he was the Sitting In A Room guy

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

apatheticman posted:

Still going through the second episode but drat this had some good shots.

Also I missed Doug Jones.

The second he busted out the ol' hand-sway walk was the second I truly felt home

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Brawnfire posted:

That was the Gorn thing, right?

Book offhandedly mentions that the Gorn hosed up subspace in two sectors, not the entire galaxy.

I think it's already been established that subspace comms are based upon a networked relay system; since the Feds aren't around to maintain it anymore, one can assume it now takes months to get messages out and back. Michael said as much when she talked about contacting Terralysium.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

That's a cute nod.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Finally a semi-decent look at the Voyager-J (lmao) and the USS Nog

https://twitter.com/startrekcbs/status/1328759813061320705?s=21

So is the Voyager-J basically just the original ship’s concept model but futurized?

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Nov 17, 2020

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I'm pretty sure the whole conceit with finding the cause of the Burn being important to fixing everything is that the original dissolution of the Federation happened not specifically because of the Burn but because the Feds couldn't find a cause, nor could they assure anyone that it couldn't happen again.

I think Book says this in the first episode of the season, though I may be misremembering.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I've never hated being so right more than when Burnham got the info she wanted, I saw there was 15 minutes left, and figured we still wouldn't learn anything. There's nothing wrong with giving us some info to think about at the end of the episode instead of just nothing.

Judging by this clip for next week's episode, the whole "using three data points to triangulate a location" thing is kinda moot anyway because, you know, space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to_Ee0IkoiQ

also starfleet may be hiding something :ohdear:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s a Split Diopter shot, yeah. I wanna say it was used in TMP as well.

Sounds like the director of this episode just likes that kind of shot, too

https://twitter.com/TrekCore/status/1329375944923099136?s=20

as do I

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Aren’t they the Orion-Andorian alliance?

I heard this post in Doug Jones's voice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Drink-Mix Man posted:

There you go, it stops warp core breaches when this sort of thing happens

I'll always love how the Bozeman seemingly takes no damage at all from the collision

Like, look at that ventral running light. Just keeps on blinking.