Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Simiain posted:

I'm going to beat a dead horse and repeat what I posted a little ways up. I'm halfway thru season 2 of The Expanse, having just finished the episode where Miller seeks out a terrified Julie Mao/proto-molecule/living-asteroid-ship, before sacrificing himself to bond with her as part of the asteroid/ship and piloting it into Venus, something that entails ceding control of a flotilla of nuclear missiles originally bound to destroy said asteroid-ship to an ex-army general with ties to a terrorist/liberation movement during a time of white-hot tensions between Mars and Earth.

I'm wary of filling up the Trek thread with too much Expanse, but the narrative threads alone are qualitatively better than anything even considered for Picard, let alone how they were intricately and logically married in this episode, with characters that the audience has grown an affinity for and who have been allowed to develop naturally. I feel like I do The Expanse a huge disservice in even comparing it to Picard, as I did when I sat through the final scenes of that episode, heartbreaking and wonderful as they were, and as the credits rolled in silence allowed my thoughts to wander back there and I said aloud 'Holy loving poo poo Picard sucked' (or words to that effect).

Picard really was such a loving failure of a show.
:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Star Trek only caught on in the first place because it was for manchildren who read science-fiction pulp magazines and related to Spock's inability to understand emotion.

Prodigy I can easily ignore, Lower Decks I think looks cute and I'll give it a chance, Discovery season 3 has promise with jumping ahead in time and I'll give it a shot for that, Strange New Worlds has a great cast and a great premise, and Picard, well, I can continue to not give a poo poo. From where I'm sitting, that's a better spot than we were in a few years back.

I agree with absolutely everything in this post, yet I still feel hate and loathing.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Hellblazer187 posted:

Insane is better than boring therefore 5 is better than 1.

:agreed:

Also, 5 is shorter so that helps too.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Lum_ posted:

(well, First Contact was good, I'll admit. But it was definitely an outlier from Every TNG Movie Is Horrible)

On a recent rewatch of TNG movies, I found that First Contact, while still the best of the four, wasn't as good as I remembered, and Nemesis wasn't as godawful (still pretty bad tho). But I didn't really enjoy any of them.

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

TomR posted:

Insurrection with the actor commentary on is the only TNG one worth watching.

Why? Are they all drunk or dunking on the film or fighting with each other or something?