Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Darmok and Jalad
When the Ham burned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Ah that would make sense. And the mild-mannered salaryman will also have become a true brute by then; after all, he's just met his first Starfleet officer in decades, and her first adventure in the this period saw her killing several security guards including founding members of her own Federation in order to help someone she knew to be a criminal. He's going to go all-in on that poo poo, he'll basically be a Klingon.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

xerxus posted:

This Sahil trashing is gross. For all we know, he only spends an hour each day at the reception, and the rest of the time he's trying to repair the station, and self-teach Starfleet Courses.

I'm assuming he spends his days reading logs from old missions to get a feel for the federation's history and creating wildly inaccurate fanfiction vidlogs he broadcasts to get people to remember the fed [cut to an episode of ToS]

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Tarquinn posted:

The real reason for the fall of the Federation:

The Burnham. It’s so obvious.

I thought it suspicious that she never got to say her surname to Book but surely by the time she's in the Fed office her full name must've come up...

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Folks she probably just had braids put in as many black women do.

Looking forward to reading a thousand white boy comments about it

Edit: was also going to compare Georgiou's treatment with Megatron in the IDW comics where he gets to become a badass good guy on a spaceship but does have to face up to the fact he has killed billions. But also he secretly has dreadlocks so he's actually more like Michael Burnham

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Oct 24, 2020

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It's worse than that, as it also had the batman style of writing "I'm not going to kill you I'm just going to put you in a situation that will kill you. I'm so moral!"

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Eiba posted:

When the guy pointed out they were basically killing him they gave him the supplies he gave Tilly. The explosives or whatever. Whatever those supplies were he presumably thought would actually let Tilly survive because she was supposed to be the dilithium courier and he actually wanted the dilithium.

It was pretty clear from the show that Tilly was not expected to survive if she had gone out there, even if she did have a pack of explosives (who knows, maybe they're self replicating, you know, like at the wormhole but only even more future techie!) . I know that means that the courier wouldn't have got what he wanted from her but I got the impression that was half the point. But then his business model does seem to revolve around killing his customers so maybe that's how things work.

It's probably 50-50 on whether he survives and comes back to cause trouble or not (in which case well shoulda listened to Georgey).

So take your soapboxing about people not watching the show because they have a different take from you and shove it. You can have a much better conversation if you don't reply to someone with contempt. Because I'm actually enjoying Discovery!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Eiba posted:

I'll make an effort to express what I like about things in a more positive way going forward, and try to avoid griping about the way other people are expressing themselves. Tone policing is lovely on any level, and I'm sorry about that.

Yousa good person, just gotta remember even though people do hatepost, chances are if they're in a star trek thread, it's cos they like star trek, even if they might be a bit moany. My posts can be a bit flippant but I do actually like this stuff :)

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

FlamingLiberal posted:

One thing I was surprised about is that they are down to only 88 crewmembers after that crash. They apparently had 150 last season. That doesn't seem like enough to run a starship of that size. I guess a good number stayed on the Enterprise.

Oh god that reminded me, it's all gone a bit nazi crazy in the UK recently, as soon as they said 88 crew it instantly made me think a nazi must have infiltrated the show. Just my neurosis I'm sure though!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
They kinda did that with the Romulans, but I hadn't connected it with how the Romans became like that.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Well, not everything has a direct correlation, though I'll bet the Romans treated some slaves that bad. That's just reminded me that for a short while the Romulans were ruled by a human clone that lived on Remus (and, never forget, played by Tom Hardy of all people). Now that's multiculturalism!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

This is somewhat of a problem now that they're relying on the spore drive exclusively. Every other Trek show baked in some normalcy and stability because they spent days or weeks in warp to Whereverthefuck 3. They've been in the future now for what, less than a week?

It was a bit annoying in the previous season when they stopped using the spore drive but if they wanted to get places it seemed like warp speed was still basically instantaneous, like going to warp and arriving somewhere in a single scene.

Oh and cos when the new season started Netflix assumed I wanted to watch episide 1 of season 2 the other week, I did get to see the bit where Pike says travelling tens of thousands of light years would take 150 years, that was more like it.

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 7, 2020

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Yeah, that's how I took it as well. And then if there's another way to jump without jacking in to him, he might see himself as no longer important.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

SavageGentleman posted:

I mean come on, Saru and Michael received personal microtransporters in the first 2 episodes and noone is working on understanding or replicating them???

This reminds me, one thing I liked was how they had to take a shuttle down to Trill, presumably because Discovery's transporters aren't advanced enough to be safe for the Symbiote. Although you'd think that Adira would at least have kept her own personal transporter for her future jaunts...

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, they took a shuttle down because otherwise the episode goes like this;

*Beam down*

"Help her"

"Herecy! Leave!"

"Fine!"

*Beam up*

Hey now, don't get in the way of me ascribing virtuous plot points when they're probably entirely in my head

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
It's exactly how lefty luvvies will react when trump kicks the bucket though

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
If the Vulcan Romulan fleet turns up to help and says their ships use the singularities people have been going on about that would be pretty funny

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Her thing was back pain wasn't it? Character development!

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Saw Colm Meaney on an advert about gambling, was relieved that it was actually for a charity organisation, we'll leave the evil endorsements for his Quniverse identity (what do we call this new modified Prime timeline? Unless anyone else has come up with a better alternative I will stick with Quniverse)

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Payndz posted:

My Twitter feed is suddenly full of "episodes 9 and 10 are gonna be SO POWERFUL AND EMOTIONAL, you guys, have hankies and a support animal ready!" tweets

You're lucky that's all it is... My non-twitter feed has decided to completely spoil the finale, unless godamn denofgeek has decided that its speculation is fact.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Fortunately, I went back and checked and it is listed as a "theory", thank goodness. So I'm still in the dark, so I can roll my eyes with the rest of yall when the big reveal happens.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
If they do what they did in Rings of Power - "Hail big baddie! Lol just kidding, it's this other guy, we got you good!" I, well, I won't be surprised, just disappointed. Not apologising for spoiling that in case anyone was hoping to watch that and be surprised, you deserve better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

That DICK! posted:

It’s all Picards enemies and everybody tries to transport on the ship all at once to get him and get stuck

They gonna pandorica his rear end and then a plucky android from a ToS style Ancient Roman planet will watch over him (then next season reveal that I dunno it was actually Ro that went in and she's safe and well. Book it matsalas!)