Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Pinterest Mom posted:

I definitely felt like the actress was distractingly bad.

The first scene at the trailer was bad, the last scene was fine.

Also feels wrong to call Picard JL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Timeless Appeal posted:

I also don't like how Picard quit so easily after being fired. Like, the Picard I know would have convinced the Klingons to rescue the Romulans because being rescued by their enemy instead of dying bravely is the ultimate defeat or something like that.

I mean, this is how we're supposed to get this new Picard, right? This is now a Picard who has utterly, utterly failed with grave consequences not just for himself, or Starfleet, or just the Federation. The interview in ep 1. and the "loving HUBRIS" in ep. 2 should maybe have made this clearer - Picard is not just a pariah, he is the pariah for the whole Federation. People should be boohissing him whenever he shows up at something.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

cheetah7071 posted:

Still laughing that the excuse for not calling up any of the Enterprise crew was that Picard didn't want them to risk their lives for this, so he immediately calls up a different former subordinate whose life he is apparently okay risking

There can only be a certain% of old fucks on a ship at any time

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Has anyone made a Picard Did 9/11 joke yet

because in this universe it seems like he did

I liked the reveal about the bonding only happens with a lost cause bit.
I also liked the "Picard on vacation" hat

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I haven't read any of the spoiled posts until I finish the episode but why does bruce maddox appear to be played by jordan peterson

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Feb 20, 2020

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

HD DAD posted:

Basically, you have Kurtzman helming two novelists and dune-buggy Stewart, and it’s all coming off super awkward.

That said, I don’t hate it, but it’s not what it could be.

Did you say Patrick Stewart in a dune buggy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cegk6G94FC8&t=105s

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

zoux posted:

Oh for sure, I'm sick of every genre thread in this forum getting poo poo up by hate watchers, I just want a place to have fun posting about ST

I like it! I just don't post much because I haven't actually seen alot of Star Trek. I'm about finished with S4 of TNG and haven't watched anything else besides a few movies.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Timby posted:

So at some point, the board's chief decided, after much discussion in the mod forum, to split the political discussion into two forums. The Neutral Zone was replaced by The Demilitarized Zone, and it would be much more heavily moderated. And then a second forum, The Briar Patch, was added, and that was essentially completely mod-free with the exception of death threats or illegal behavior.

Ah, this is one of those "democracy simply doesn't work" stories, isn't it?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tighclops posted:

Yep. Hugh being cool was almost a relief, I was half expecting him to pull a Lando on Picard. Rios is pretty swole swell too and it's nice that he's seemingly actually nice and not just a tough guy.

I was half expecting him to be shot immediately and fall into the abyss Han Solo style, but I guess I'm just used to a Joss Whedon way of storytelling

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

marktheando posted:

Why would they make Rios be a secret hologram lol

Maybe he is a secret merman?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

piratepilates posted:

Boy that sounds real dumb! Thanks for the recaps.

It's like a sickness among writers and producers that they have to keep creating bigger and bigger stories with even bigger scopes that Change Everything We Know.

I like to call this "cartoon movie syndrome." There are several shows where the stories are the equivalent of "character x gets a new haircut" or "someone is eating all the kids bananas." Then they make a movie the plot is always "we gotta save the world."

Edit: nothing has been announced for the Bob's Burgers movie coming out this year but I really think they are going to save the world in it somehow.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 2, 2020

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

piratepilates posted:

Was the Simpsons movie about the fate of the world? That's the only tv show to movie that popped in my head and I think they actually did the reverse, where Springfield was hosed but the rest of the world was fine.

(sadly) TvTropes has a thing about it: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BigDamnMovie

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I liked this episode even if some parts pissed me off. Hugh dying seems lame, but every reboot thing usually does something like this. I just complained last week that I thought they would kill him off in 1 minute, but I guess it took 5 minutes of screen time.

Oh, to be Jonathan Frakes and do your job wearing a bathrobe, making pizza

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Tonight on "sci-fi plot or acid trip": an alien wearing sunglasses made me hallucinate by touching my face and then told me to eat a glowing blue tablet

e: actually I'm pretty sure this happened to me at a festival once

Allison Pill sold everything very well, I liked that scene even if it made me a little queasy.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

PostNouveau posted:

Pretty much nothing happened in this episode except for the evil Romulan lady killing people, and that was super loving dumb like CW superhero show level of villainy.

So edgy. Real fun to watch Hugh watch all the people he cares for die and then get killed himself. Thanks, Star Trek!

You're talking about a show that is the progeny of UPN and WB-level channels.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

This is an excellent post.

"Soothing pablum" is the perfect description for what Trek was to the people who actually enjoyed the formulaic reconstitution of plots down through Voyager and Enterprise. And honestly I'd extend that to what I perceive Orville to be.

Sometimes you want that smooth. For some people that's NCIS. For others it was star trek.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Maybe our friends on TNG were wrong all along

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

There was something that bothered me this episode, it didn't start here, but I feel like it has been getting worse.

A whole loving lot of "there's no time to explain" just zipping along to the next plot point thing. Star Trek drat near invented technobabble, do more of that for explanations. Just seems strange to me.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

istewart posted:

Isa Briones does a really good job here as Soji's evil twin. I agree they're leaving way too much to wrap up in the final episode, though. With Chabon gone as showrunner next season, I wonder if they will have learned any lessons with regard to pacing. Have they announced his replacement yet?

When you have a guaranteed second season you get people going "we'll use the next 6 months before season 2 to figure it out!" and then it usually just gets screwed up no matter what.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tiggum posted:

My question is, why are all these people going to stay together? That seems to be the implication; that they've become a team somehow. But they barely stayed together for two seconds at a time in this season, and now they don't even have the vague sort of mission that kind of almost brought them together to begin with. So why wouldn't they all just get on with their separate lives now?

picard season 2 is a soft reboot for firefly season 2

they're family now, you see

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

revwinnebago posted:

It's clear Patrick Stewart never understood what made Picard a great character. Or at least, given the choice, he doesn't want to expend the effort to do the hard work of actually acting the role. The movies let the actors pick whatever they wanted to do, and after being locked in a room with Frakes for a few years, all of them just said gently caress it we want holodeck episodes and none of us are going to bother acting:

(riker_shit_eating_grin.jpeg)

Didn't I already post Patrick Stewart riding a dune buggy happily in this thread, because you can tell he really loves it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Retrowave Joe posted:

Picard is an xMan now, so maybe he’ll start a school for gifted xBs

and his robot legs stop working

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

xerxus posted:

The royalty thing keeps getting brought up but both were staff writers and wouldn't get residuals.

I remember reading (on a buffy forum?) in the early 2000s that whenever the word Zima was used there was an ad-guy who gets residuals checks from tv shows. I want to keep believing this.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Has there ever been a Star Trek episode/novel where a crew goes back in time and everyone else they meet in the past is also a Starfleet crew who are trying to keep the timeline straight?

false edit: if not, copyright 2021 do not steal

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Senor Tron posted:

Not Trek, but Let's Go To Golgotha.

Hmm, good recommendation. Thanks!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Picard also has the issue of starting off okay and gets worse as you go along which leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The_Doctor posted:

This is much larger than The Thing lead me to believe.

This may be over a decade now but there have been A/Ts about working at the South Pole, they were cool.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Khanstant posted:

i got a feeling the next season of Discovery will be the Good one, all the haters are going to memory-hole s1-3 and become straight up fanatics for season 4, tightclops straight up cries at the season premiere holy poo poo

I just skipped 2 and went to 3 after nodding off through 1 several years ago. It was... fine? The final hologram stuff was the best thing I saw, even if it reminded me of Horizon Zero Dawn like Picard was Mass Effect.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Taear posted:

TNG is a cultural staple because it comes from a time (at least in the UK) where there were very few channels and TV was a universal experience almost.
Fragmentation has meant there's just no way at all Discovery is ever, ever going to be seen by as many people.

At the end of their respective runs, Voyager was getting less than half of TNG's season seven numbers in the US. Culturally, the TNG crew carries alot more weight. You ask a dude on the street to name non-TOS Trek characters, how long would it take them to name someone not from TNG?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Taear posted:

He still had a show in that era though, he's totally correct.

I feel like you're arguing with me here even though I'm agreeing with what you've said?

I'm agreeing with you, didn't mean to sound like I was arguing.

There were still watercooler shows after Seinfeld, but you can see huge ratings drops for network TV starting around 02-03, with the Friends finale being the last big "entire country watches" thing outside of Super Bowls. That comes from the rise of cable and the internet, before streaming takes off 5-6 years later.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

There is nothing Gene would like more than to watch those gelatos gently caress on a fallen tree while another strokes their horn nearby

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The_Doctor posted:

Why would his memories be from this 3rd person perspective?

Mirror universe

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

My mom, who has watched everything Trek since she was a teenager watching TOS, messaged me a week ago and said she's giving up on Discovery.

The season premiere of Picard I found very boring but the last 5 minutes with Q and the best use of de-aging I've seen (because they kept it in a medium shot for a few seconds and then poof, gone) got me into it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Very fun ep. Needed more bird/robot sex

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

can't unsee funko pop

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Brawnfire posted:

avec glaçage à la menthe

mmm trek cakes

They know their cakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

tarlibone posted:

I just saw the latest Short Treks.

If you didn't like the first two and are worried that this one will be just as bad, don't worry--it' snot.

brb gonna go air fry stuff in the work kitchen

literally did this last week, air fried chicken wings for everyone. no complaints for that