Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

As the world goes more and more to poo poo I've grown to realize that the kind of idealism depicted in early Star Trek (more TOS than TNG, but also TNG) is inherently naive and destructive, because it theorizes that at some point humanity just "solves everything" and learns to be above it all, which is not really how civilization works.

There's a level of pretension there at its core, that Star Trek as a whole mostly tries to ignore - Starfleet isn't a military organization (it is), the Federation is the *good* colonialist empire (it isn't), everyone is treated equally (they aren't), our values are better than those of the alien species (they aren't) - all this is supported by loving everything in the federation going loving wrong CONSTANTLY. It makes for compelling TV, but as an ideological coda it's romanticized pap that deliberately ignores not only the realistic struggles that humanity would face as a colonialist force in the galaxy, but also its own internal problems, which, again, are very clearly present in all of the shows even if they're a product of the time period they were produced in, or some other external factor (women being treated as second class citizens being the most prominent example).

Them acknowledging this in the actual show, like DS9 did, I would argue is not cynical. It's facing the fact that the old idealized myths of a post-scarcity utopia are very Euro-centric, e.g. hosed up when you actually deconstruct them, and most often ignore or step on the plights of "lesser" races and try to wash away the actual realities of what they are doing by presupposing that we are so smart and wise that, yes, we can definitely be the one colonizing empire that is entirely anticolonialist and all those other cultures are just doing it wrong. It's some truly liberal wish fulfillment bullshit.

Also Roddenberry was a rapist creep shithead so gently caress his vision forever. I hope the show is good :)

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jan 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Oasx posted:

There is no point of Star Trek without the utopian vision of humanity, it would just be yet another sci-if show. Utopian doesn’t mean that it has to be naïve or that it can’t address actual issues, but I never understood why so many Star Trek fans seemingly hate the one thing that makes it unique.

It doesn't have to mean that, but in reality for most of the show's run, it absolutely means that. Which is why something like DS9 is refreshing, even though that show also has issues.

Edit: Also I don't really hate it. I love Star Trek! Well, I don't like most of what I've seen of TOS, but that's a different discussion. I mostly just don't like the loving purity testing about what is and what isn't true Star Trek.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 21, 2020

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Regarde Aduck posted:

Rich Evans deciding that the Romulan were building the Borg cube (??!?)

Did I miss something incredibly obvious here. Is that not exactly what happened?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Drone posted:

Halfway through the RLM Re:view I started to kinda get the suspicion that their thoughts were so negative about it purely because, at this point after so many years of panning new Star Trek/Star Wars media, people kindof expect them to pan. It's hard to imagine, in 2020, what a positive Re:view video looks like.

Also nerd outrage gets clicks, unfortunately.

They just did a pretty positive re:view on Mandalorian, so it's not hard to imagine at all!

I dunno, they are nitpicky nerds but I don't really think their complaints about Picard are all that out there. They are wrong about some things and use some bad faith clips WRT the Data stuff, but I don't think they are being performative or all that unfair to the show. It all depends on how dedicated you are to the old ideas of Star Trek, no matter how outdated they are, and they are obviously very dedicated to them, so of course they're going to pick apart all the things they disagree with. I mean at least it opens with Rich Evans saying it isn't bad, which is a far step above Discovery.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jan 28, 2020

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

RLM is still pretty good and funny when they aren't being pedantic Star Trek nerds, which, contrary to popular belief, only happens like two or three times a year.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think Picard has kind of the inverse problem of Discovery where I (mostly) liked the cast they assembled on that show, but thought the storytelling was weak. On Picard, the story they're going for is interesting and has potential, but I think the cast is truly, truly terrible. I super don't care about Vape Lady, Logan Solo, Forehead Scientist, or Drizzt. I especially SUPER don't care about Robot Lady and Bishie Romulan and Evil-Lyn oh my GOD that poo poo is boring.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

kidkissinger posted:

What's the thread consensus on Picard? Just caught up and, while I do enjoy seeing Stewart in this role again, the show doesn't really work for me. Seems like they tried to Game of Thrones it up with a lot of pretty stilted drama.

It's okay, not bad, but I'm having a hard time getting super invested in anything that's going on. Patrick Stewart is great, but I don't think he can carry the whole thing on his own, and so the nostalgia plays aren't doing it for me - because TNG was about way more than just Picard.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I was kind of an apologist for the first two seasons, but man I can't even do it anymore. This season was such a stupid mess, nothing made any sense, the character relationships are straining credulity, the overarching plot was like Insurrection levels of why did they think anyone would find this exciting. Book is a loving horrendous character, they didn't do anything interesting with the future setting, every important character moment just has everyone crying for no reason, I hate everyone, Michael still has the worst case of protagonist syndrome I think I've seen in any piece of media ever, literally EVERYTHING with loving Osyraa was just THE WOOOOOORST. God, what a loving pile of poo poo.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The fact that apparently no one remembers anything about that episode probably says something... but who could say what

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Bayham Badger posted:

disco e2: drat, what a boring, sad confirmation that this show continues to suck poo poo and the writers and producers are lazy hacks

I was thinking of giving it another go because while I hated season 3 a lot, it was largely due to how much I didn’t give a gently caress about any of the Osyraa stuff, but everything I’ve read so far makes it sound just as bad.

The fact that they still insist on Michael being the captain over Saru still just fundamentally sucks poo poo.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is Picard season 2 good?

Keep in mind I probably think Picard season 1 is the worst piece of Star Trek media ever made.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

drat, how you gonna kill off the one alien character who isn’t Spock. And he’s blind too, it was cool to see legit disabled representation like that in the main cast. I really do hope they bring the character back, he was like poised to be an obvious fan favourite.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I watched TOS for the first time like two years ago, and I think like 90% of the episodes are pretty boring and/or Very Bad. The good ones are really good though, but it’s not like you miss much by just skipping to them.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The Corbomite Maneuver is a very silly episode but extremely entertaining

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Michelle Yeoh is great. She was definitely the best part of those terrible Discovery episodes and even if the new show is equally as terrible at least she gets to vamp it up on screen again.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

roomtone posted:

i guess i meant they write her like she's american rather than generally speaks english as her first language, i should've said that instead of native speaker.

In that film she switches seamlessly between English and Chinese in the middle of sentences in the way actual dual-language speakers do. Have you actually seen the film or are you just basing all this on the trailer

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

After watching the finale, we put on Balance of Terror, and man, the contrast between the two Kirks was so stark. Legitimately thought SNW Kirk was absolutely terrible. He wasn't poorly written either, I don't think you can blame it on the actor being given nothing to work with. Even if you consider it an alternate take on the character, he just has zero screen presence or charisma. I don't want him to just do Shatner, but that dude is just a void. The casting in this show is generally pretty good, don't tell me you cannot find another generic white dude actor who can have bring even a little personality or passion to the screen, dude felt like he belonged as a rando security extra on the Outrageous Okona or something. This is KIRK.

I was watching For All Mankind and thinking how perfect someone like Michael Dorman would be as Kirk, and that's a completely different show. Sometimes you can just tell when an actor is never gonna get there, and I don't believe this guy will. Happy to be proven wrong, but I don't think that will be the case.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

As far as I'm concerned, Picard doesn't get ENOUGH poo poo on the internet. Not only is it terrible television by most modern standards, but it's such lazy, uninspired dreck that has no good ideas and nothing to say other than "remember TNG" but it doesn't even do THAT well. I struggle to think of a single aspect where it isn't a monumental failure except it has some pretty decent visuals at times I guess. New season looks like trash, I will not be watching, thank you.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Instead of watching this poo poo I just started Babylon 5 instead.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The problem with The Orville is that most of the cast just sucks. Seth and Adrianne Palicki's will they/won't they subplot that they keep going back to over and over and over is the absolute worst part of the show - both characters are wretched and they never improve. Scott Grimes shows potential here and there but rarely gets to do anything outside of lame comedy (and I'll stress that they loving absolutely do not get rid of the lame comedy after season 1). J. Lee is an absolutely atrocious actor who is clearly only there because he's buds with Seth. Alara is a very one-note character who leaves and gets replaced by a very similar character who is equally one-note.

That just leaves Bortus and the doctor who are easily the best parts of the show, but they still repeat so many of the same story beats (especially with Klyden). Isaac isn't much of a character, but the one arc they do with him in season 2 is probably the peak of the show. It's at the level of one of the better Voyager arcs probably, but nowhere near TNG when it's good.

Yeah it's better than Discovery and Picard, but we have Strange New Worlds now which feels like the kind of show that The Orville could've been but instead Seth McFarlane got in the way. Orville such a peak example of a show with potential that continually sabotages itself with just the lamest poo poo and it's so annoying to watch a lot of the time. The need for it has passed now that we actually have a decent Star Trek show again.

If you actually like the comedy then I'd argue Lower Decks is also much funnier.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Feb 22, 2023

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

mllaneza posted:

SNW is still, through 10+1 episodes, solidly at the top of "very good" and trying to break into "great". They've missed some chances to do better storytelling, they've re-used some classic Trek tropes stealing the Enterpise unnecessarily, but they're almost getting to the next level.

It's way better than DISCO or Picard, but both animated series are exceeding it.

This is basically where I'm at as well. They're leaning too much into comedy and the comedy just ain't that good, it's certainly no Lower Decks. I don't mind Carol Kane, but it would be nice if there was anything to her character other than just the one joke.

I'm sure they'll get there, the first episode of season 1 was the worst one by far as well.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Did you miss her technobabble speech? What else do you want from her?

Unlike other chief engineers, O'Brien speaks with a real accent.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't really mind fight scenes, it's whatever, but this one was just so embarrassingly shot and completely loving pointless. It felt like they had to stretch out the runtime so they made the whole thing slow motion, even after they got done fighting??????

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Do we know which episode of SNW S2 is the Lower Decks crossover?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

"The Cerritos is statistically the horniest yet least romantically committed crew in Star Fleet" :laffo:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I was on board for parts of Discovery early on, but at some point I couldn't do it anymore. Saru deserves so much better than that crap. Legitimately mental that Michael burnham gets to be captain over him, it's like emblematic of the issues that that show has. I didn't even watch season 4 after how loving insanely bad season 3 was.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Saru is literally the captain I'm season 3, when Michael gets promoted it is because Saru himself has been promoted past Captain

yes and then he gives it up to become XO again (even though he retains the rank), it's stupid as poo poo. Just let him be captain. He's a better captain.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Lower Decks is better than The Orville in every way.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Although the first episodes of Lower Decks aren't great, I think they're perfectly alright and didn't make me less interested in continuing to watch the show. Actually my biggest issue is probably how often they go back to the Pakled well - I really feel like they think the Pakleds are much funnier than they actually are, which is to say that they're okay to bring back for one joke episode but they bring them back like four times or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've seen TNG multiple times and I genuinely don't remember Locarno's character at all outside of the fact that Tom Paris showed up in an episode. Honestly I'd rather they come up with new characters instead of ones that are just references, but what can you do