Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Carbon dioxide posted:

I thought the Romulans were Vulcans until they started showing emotions. Was I not paying attention or were the forehead ridges that distinguish Romulans from Vulcans gone?

I was unsure too. The guy does have ridges but they're a lot more subtle than TNG-era. Kurtzman mentioned it when talking about what Worf would look like if he made an appearance

https://tvline.com/2020/01/12/star-trek-picard-worf-michael-dorn-klingons-spoilers-season-1/ posted:

So will Worf’s look on Picard more closely resemble Discovery‘s Klingons, then? “No, he’s got to look the same,” Kurtzman says. “We’re not changing that. It’s funny, because you’ll see by the time you get to [Picard‘s] third episode, there are different kinds of Romulans that look different, depending on their territories. You’ll see some Romulans that are just about the ears, you’ll see some with the ears and deeper ridges in their foreheads… so I have to believe that there are different iterations of Klingons, depending on where they are from.”

I'm guessing it's because the JJ Abrams Romulans didn't have forehead ridges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

CarpenterWalrus posted:

Despite the Blue Skies tag at the end of Nemesis? That's a bold retcon. I do appreciate that it makes Data's sacrifice more meaningful, though.

It wasn't that it failed completely, it was basically B4's circuit couldn't handle all of Data's memories so most of them were lost.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

I thought Endgame was fine and obviously thinking about the logic of their time travel is a fool's game but it bugged the poo poo out of me that they spent the whole move dealing with the consequences of their time travel in a particular way and then the big Steve Rogers reveal at the end made no loving sense in the context of the rules they set up.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

I'm enjoying Picard but the cursing in this episode seems really tonally off. Like all of it, not just "sheer loving hubris". It felt more out of place than the Klingon tits in Discovery.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

marktheando posted:

But I also liked Tilly and Stamets swearing in Discovery, so each to their own.

Yeah, I didn't get it across well in my original post I think but my point was it felt out of place in this show in particular. The cursing in Discovery didn't bother me. I think it's just because Picard is playing much more explicitly with a warm fuzzy nostalgia and Picard himself seems so squeaky-clean.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Mokinokaro posted:

I really suspect at least one of Picard's helpers to be Tal'Shiar (but not an enemy) after the last episode.

Their backstory was given in the prequel comics (so I've heard, I haven't read them) - they're both former Tal'Shiar.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Have they specified exactly when it takes place?

It's set in 2380, so right after Nemesis.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

I don't really know what people were expecting, it looks fine in my opinion, but I certainly won't be starting my CBS All Access subscription just to watch it.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Seems like a legitimate distinction to me? Like it's not a hallway that people pass through on the way to or from anywhere, it's just a long skinny room.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Phylodox posted:

Not to be a complete dorkus, but don’t the uniforms place them at a pre-Voyager point in the timeline?

The show takes place in 2380, two years after Voyager returns to earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Martytoof posted:

I hope they tone down Mariner a LITTLE bit. She’s kind of the only one pumping out the ZANY that I was worried about, and doing it at warp 9.999. Maybe bring it down to a sustainable warp six?

She seemed not quite as bad in episode 2 as she was in episode 1, but frankly Boimler's whole sad sack tryhard routine is already wearing thin to me. At this point I like Rutherford/Tendi a lot more than Mariner/Boimler but I'm hoping that as the season goes on they can back off the One Defining Characteristic a bit for all four of them.