Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Why does she look familiar...why does she look familiar...why does she look OH poo poo IT'S KIM PINE! WE ARE SEX BOB-OMB! ONE TWO THREE FOUR!

I enjoyed the show, and I look forward to more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Sure, but evacuating one world with billions of beings on it is virtually impossible. Now you have a list of worlds, and a ticking countdown, and they bloody well know it. They're screaming for aid, there's riots in the streets, and meanwhile, at Starfleet, there's a boardroom full of admirals all looking at each other uneasily, nobody wanting to be the very first to say 'ya know, is this really such a bad thing?'

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Hmmm... well, that's fair enough, I guess. Although I think civilizations spanning significant fractions of the galaxy and all the resources from hundreds of star systems probably should have a LOT of ships available. But it's true, they never say how many.

Maybe, but check it out.
First, you need to get sufficient shipping to lift 2million+ people to planet A.
Then you have to pick 2 million people to lift off.
- Do they get time to pack? How much stuff?
- how do you pick which people? How do you ensure that the planet continues to function as you're lifting off chunks of people?
Now, you need to find somewhere to put them. Do you happen to have planets nearby that can absorb two million bodies per day? Feed them? Shelter them? Keep them relatively sanitary?

Meanwhile, while you're transporting those two million, you need an equal number of ships already at the planet picking up the NEXT two million. And bear in mind, you're transporting those people, every time, somewhere far enough away that wherever they land isn't going to be affected by the supernova. So likely more than a few days round-trip-time.

Now, multiply that by the number of planets that are going to be affected.

gently caress, take a look at how the US of A, the most powerful, affluent and advanced society on the planet, routinely bungles what should be straight-forward disaster relief efforts.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

mllaneza posted:

I think Maddox was bullshitting. Sure, consciousness could have a fractal aspect, but a whole mind with memories encoded in one neuron ? it's either technobabble we're thinking about harder than the writers 9as usual), or Maddox loaded Dahj with the fragmentary memories recovered from B4. That's my theory, that and he used Lore as the basis for the synths that went rogue.

I thought that the idea was that the 'consciousness matrix', for lack of a better term, was fractal; kind of like all you need is one full strand of DNA, in theory, to grow a new person. So you could take one of Data's neurons, use that to grow a new 'positronic brain' that would be stable and as capable of Data's, but would be tabula rasa, not a 'restore data.dat' sort of thing.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
poo poo, I loved how that whole thing was just an utter rejection of Action Picard. No dunebuggys and tommyguns here, just a tired old man who's simply not up to that sort of bullshit anymore.

I feel like ST:P likes to show things. Like the hands thing you mentioned, where ST:D likes to tell.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I thought there was a line from Picard saying how Maddox must've seen the painting somehow and modeled Dahj and her sister after it.

efb

We know Data corresponded with Maddox, maybe a Data sent him a print.

Maddox tried to save Lal too, don’t forget. Maybe he spent the next twenty years trying to overcome that failure, so to speak.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Katra is just an usb stick they insert up your rear end.

Also, if ST PIC is a loving BSG restart then Im okay with it!
It's the first thing I thought when the robot revolution turned out to have been kicked off by a robbut called 'Fate' (F8). All of this has happened before, and will happen again. There is no fate but what we make.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Angry Salami posted:

I don't think it's entirely clear - the lieutenant is obviously a Romulan, but she describes the commodore as an ally who might turn on them, which makes it seem to me like they're not directly working together, just that their interests align. I'm still leaning towards her being a Vulcan who sympathizes with the Romulan double-secret service and their anti-synth agenda, not an active member of the Romulan conspiracy. I could well be wrong, but I don't think we've been given enough information to make any conclusion...

(Plus, it would be weird if one Romulan agent was surgically altered to pass undetected, while another one just used the old 'pass for Vulcan' trick and didn't bother...)

No, she accurately describes the Commodore as her boss/handler who just literally and unambiguously threatened to kill both her and him if they don’t get results.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

zoux posted:

Hello I would simply like one starship, one crew and as a bonus for you, I'll accept a demotion to Captain. When do I leave.

“That poo poo might have worked a hundred years ago for cowboys like James Kirk, Picard, but I don’t see you rolling in with any whales.”

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

galenanorth posted:

Yeah, I'm going with lazy writing in that part. It felt like being in the same spirit as Deep Space Nine's ration scenes when the replicators were down due to an attack, except without any justification. It's a shame, because F8 was great.

TBQH, in a post-scarcity society, these sorts of folks would almost be cosplayers or SCA/Ren Faire folks. Just picture some guys showing up a nice open-plan office with coffee machines and monitoring instruments for the robots that actually build poo poo, and they're like 'No, this is NOT what I signed up for! I was promised dirt, and grime, and bitching about the bad food! And there's supposed to be at LEAST one industrial accident during my stint! It's in the sign-up forms!'

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Kim Pine picked up the rifle from one of the first attackers that was disabled when Irish Romulan took up station at the door to the study. The fight moved into the room as they got overwhelmed, and in comes Kim.

So Vulcan Head Of Intelligence or whoever shows up wearing shades. Only, ostensibly a Vulcan, she hails from a desert planet, and canonically has nictitating membranes to deal with bright light. So, is this her using her Vulcan powers of logic to decide that she looks more menacing wearing sunglasses, but fucks it up by picking goofy ones? Doesn't seem plausible. Is she actually a Romulan, who've perhaps lost this feature over the millennia?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I'm just saying, Robin Curtis' Saavik could have pulled off those shades. Kirstie Alley's, I don't think so.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Apparantly what she's smoking is the same plants she's growing and seen watering on her front porch. I could maybe see an incredible stretch of "parallels between Picard growing wine in luxury and Raffi growing space weed in the desert" but I sincerely doubt that much thought was put into it

I'm not sure why you say apparently, because the actress, on camera, breaks off a piece of one of the plants, sticks it in the miniature space vape, and proceeds to hit it.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
The thing I took away from that scene, coded as paranoid old coot in a trailer notwithstanding, is that she's incredibly bitter about Picard having a life outside of Starfleet, incredibly bitter that he didn't so much as look her up after she got fired as collateral damage, and incredibly bitter that she realizes that it's partly her fault; there was nothing standing in her way of doing something else. But as has been pointed out, she seems to be living the life she wants to, isn't starving, isn't wanting for any material comforts, and isn't being bothered.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

I’m almost wondering at this point how many other members of the Verity’s crew did Starfleet weedwhack because of Picard’s stunt and if so how did they handle it? Better or worse than Raffi did? Because Starfleet probably cleaned house on that ship to scrub it of any trace of Picard and/or to spite Picard personally, so I’m betting a lot of people got fired and the only one we actually saw get the axe was Raffi.

Hell, I can't think of any reason, illustrated in the show, about *why* they'd fire her. She was being a good XO and supporting her superior.

So either they hauled her in and said 'JL just resigned, are you going to let this go and accept reassignment?' to which she answered 'no, gently caress you,' or they fired her as punishment for Picard's SHEER loving HUBRIS. Probably, it was the former, but she feels like it was the latter.

Point being, she's a crazy trailer hillbilly by choice, and she hates that about herself.

That said, it would have been interesting to see Picard roll up to her luxury condo, where she indulges in painting, sculpting, and learning whatever esoteric things catch her fancy, but being utterly bored and hating not being 'out there' at the forefront of exploration and discovery.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
In the original TOS, Romulans are shown to take names very seriously. The EU stuff by Diane Duane runs with it.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I still want Picard's space samurai to wind up being a Mintakan.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

gohmak posted:

I really don’t want to create a new thread and the season 1 is archived

https://youtu.be/_MzbLQBeR9Y

Altered Carbon season 2 trailer. Looks like the hacks scrapped the Broken Angels plot but kept Takeshi in a black body.

Looks like they skipped straight to Woken Furies, but they're cutting out the entire Sylvie plot line. Which makes sense, given what they did with the whole idea of Quellcrist Falconer the first time around.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: Netflix's Altered Carbon was a fantastic show, but a terrible adaptation. I'm looking forward to S2.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It's absolutely baffling why they did what they did with the first season oher than feeling the need to put their own stamp on Altered Carbon. The parts changed from the books iwere all failures. The parts that were kept faithful were by far the best elements of the programme.

A completely wasted opportunity for Netflix to have its own answer to Expanse.

Yeah, I don't get it either. They could have filmed each book, as-is, clearly.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Where can i read about the differences? (I've never read the book)

I enjoyed the show but it did have its flaws, would be interesting to know if those flaws are because the showrunners hosed it. ending was deeply unsatisfying

Honestly, just read the books.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
TLDR: Raffi is bitter because she had her chosen career derailed through no fault of her own, feels betrayed by the guy she views as responsible, and appears to have untreated paranoia and depression or something, which is exacerbated by drug use.

Yet she wants for no necessity of life or creature comfort, has a room full of high end computers with hacking and data analysis tools, and is enough of a wine connoisseur to inquire about specific vintages of Picard’s wine bribe.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

socialsecurity posted:

She literally talks about how lovely her place is after talking about how fancy Picard's is. They very clearly convey she is poor.

She's trying to hurt him any way she can, but at the same time, she knows full well that despite being booted out of Starfleet, she still has a literal universe of opportunities, which she refuses to take advantage of. She's pissed at herself.

You'll note also that despite literally pulling a gun on him and bitching him out, she nevertheless immediately proceeds to help him as best she can, and volunteers to join on his drat fool crusade.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I feel like they're trying to push the 'Picard doesn't understand that the world is messier than he thinks, and that pretty speeches don't fix anything, BUT that doesn't mean we need to go all 24/hard men making hard choices.' I also continue to feel like this series is really mirroring ST2 and 3; not only is it Picard: The Search For Data, but just like Kirk came to terms with all the bullshit he pulled during TOS and their consequences, Picard is getting a similar thing here.

And I like Warrior Nun Areala Elnor. It's nice to see somebody raised to be a ruthless killer not be all angsty and riven, but also not all bloodthirsty and aggressive. I feel like if he never pulled his sword in anger, so to speak, he'd be perfectly content, and if he had to mow down a hundred mooks, he'd be perfectly content.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
On the other hand, when Raffi said 'I'm clean,' she was lying through her teeth. She was smoking up a few days prior. Being off the snake leaf for a few days doesn't constitute being 'clean.'
On the gripping hand, if her crazy conspiracy talk winds up being crazy, and she winds up vindicated, it sets up the predictable reunion where she gets to hold her granddaughter.

When Picard sent Seven back down to the bar, he clearly knew exactly what she was doing, and approved, if somewhat unwillingly.

My hot take: Oh is indeed a straight-up Vulcan. The 'Council of 8' is a cross-species secret cabal dedicated to keeping the artificial man down. Section 31 is Starfleet's representation on the council. The Zhat Vash is the Romulan's.

Elron is a treasure, and far better than Baby Yoda.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

mllaneza posted:

I still like the "let's give the front man drugs" plan. Raffi probably just ordered a #2 drug cocktail, adjusted to the captain's mass.

My big question is, why are random mooks transporting to safety when Seven comes back, but the boss is stuck with a well-armed angry woman with a grudge.

It looked to me like Seven set up her own transport, ostensibly to the Ranger ship that was arriving "any minute now". Picard will be very disappointed.

I think the staff teleported out, and Vajazzle stayed behind to stall Seven in the hopes that her security would get there in time and kill Seven. I don't think she expected Seven to actually gun her down.

The other question is, was the little token she gave Picard actually a tracking device so she can swoop in to save the day again later? And why didn't super-smell guy smell the chemicals suddenly getting Rios high as gently caress?

And, you know, why didn't security just teleport in?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Do you think the TOS crowd had similarly visceral reactions to TNG/DS9? I'm actually kind of curious.

Yes they did. You can find tons of old usenet posts of people venting their spleens. "Who's better, Kirk or Picard" was a real thing.

So was alt.wesley.crusher.die.die.die

And the Gillian Anderson Testosterone Brigade, for that matter.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Pinterest Mom posted:

That's not Picard's ship! They're not his guns to give away!!!

Now I’m going to be mad if, two or three episodes down the road, Rios is pissed to suddenly discover they’re short on phasers.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
One thing I didn't like was how they dragged Raffi, hosed up from the loss of her son, drunk, high, put her in front of Federation Facetime, had her burn a friendship to get Picard what he needed, and his response was to stand up and clap. Then they stick her back into her bunk and completely ignore the fact that she's hurting and grieving and spiraling (back) into self-destruction. Professor Xavier, you're a jerk!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Angry Salami posted:

The horrible truth the Zhat Vash are trying to conceal - synth technology inevitably leads to Shinzon.

Shinzon
Synthzon
Synth John
Synth Jean
Synth Jean Luc

Oh my god.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Seriously, watching that Raffi scene again, it's really REALLY hosed up. She's clutching a booze bottle, hitting the snake leaf, fucks over an old friend, burns the friendship, falls out of her chair afterwards and needs to be carried back to her bunk. Elron looks concerned, Jurati looks disturbed (but then she always looks disturbed,) and there's JL, clapping, happy as a pig in poo poo that he's getting what he wants, while the music triumphantly swells into the TNG fanfare.

And then, THEN, a good chunk of the second half of the episode is dedicated to him facing his trauma and being helped through it, entirely unlike he just completely ignored Raffi's trauma.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Thom12255 posted:

Everything surrounding Raffi is very weird, I don't know what the show is going for - which is disappointing as the actor seems to really care about it.

The actress is fantastic. Then there's the whole part where JL shows up on the cube, reunites with Hugh, wants something from him, and Hugh, despite literally owing his existence to Picard and being 100% willing to help him, still can't help but throw in a little 'you know, fellow person who was reclaimed after being assimilated, having somebody with your name and reputation advocating for XB rights would have been nice. Anywho, who did you say you were looking for?

Not going to lie, I'd watch Star Trek: Hugh, basically Hugh as a kinder House, helping reclaim Borg.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

NZAmoeba posted:

Now we know why they insisted on those transparent monitors, or we would never have gotten that shot! :v:

Romulan world-building continues: Romulans don't even tell people their real name, and maintain 3 different identities, I mean of course they do that. Romulans getting very nicely fleshed out in Picard and it does a decent job of it (warrior nuns I'm still on the fence about)

To be fair, that goes way back to the Enterprise Incident TOS episode. But I do feel like they're drawing on some of Diane Duane's EU take on Romulans; My Enemy, My Ally, The Romulan Way, Swordhunt, and I forget the fourth, off hand. Oh, and The Empty Chair.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Seven's little SOS transmitter just happening to have been dropped by Picard, such that it wound up hanging from an unsunk space nail or whatever, at perfect eye level for the desk that Elnor is hiding under, is a bit dumb. No, it's a lot dumb.

I was sad when Hugh went out. I wanted to see those two go on a roaring rampage of revenge. I wanted to see Hugh plug himself back in to the cube, full of fear and trepidation but pissed as gently caress about his beloved XBs, go straight back into Collective mode, animate the cube to tear the gently caress out of all the Romulans, then visibly pull himself back to humanity, set the cube to assplode, then get hauled out by Elnor, setting up the Ultimate Evolution of Star Trek Spinoffs: Star Trek: Elnor and Hugh.

Also, Will: You've black hair. Your wife has black hair. Your daughter has bright blonde hair. You need to ask some questions, mate.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Tune in next week! (because they literally show a good chunk of this in the preview)

I know. But I wanted it to be Hugh. I think it would have been far more powerful and right to see Hugh, after having spent decades not only regaining his humanity, but helping other Borg reclaim there whatever-ity, fully manifest his humanity in rage, and grief, and a desire for vengeance, but then to then hold on to the better angels of his humanity by not giving in fully to being re-assimilated.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Delthalaz posted:

You know come to think about it, these hybrid children with parents from entirely different species that evolved on planets lightyears apart may be some of the most implausible conceits in star trek

I mean, they explicitly show a clinic on freecloud that does the tweaking necessary to make it happen.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I wonder if the timing works out yet that the current crop of writers grew up watching Voyager and Enterprise, so to them, that’s what defines “Star Trek.”

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Apropos of nothing, my current out-there theory after watching the early stuff with soji and the Romulan archeologist: thousands of years ago, the Romulans used experimental bullshit and proto-vulcan-psychic-powers to sneak a look at their future. They glimpsed the end of their race and organic life, and the Zhat Vash was formed to carry what they saw down through the ages and prevent it from happening by any means necessary.

The Borg cube submatrix collapse was because they assimilated archeologist lady and protective protocols went 'poo poo NON-CONTROLLED CROSS-TEMPORAL INFORMATION CONTAMINATION' and quarantined the cube because the Borg are smart enough to be very careful with time poo poo.

(Or, alternatively, future synth nanites spilled into the past during the foresight experiment and that's where the Borg come from, so that caused some problems)

Counterpoint: First Contact pointed out that the Borg have no problem casually loving with the past.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
Those outfits were straight-up William Ware Theiss TOS era goodness. And classic 3D Chess!

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I mean, I can buy a biological android being able to develop whatever lets Vulcans do it. Spock could do it, and he's only half Vulcan, so it's either all training, or there's a genetic, and therefore biological, component.

I mean, this is the universe where people gain godlike powers just by being raised by aliens on the regular.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Nah, I think this is one of those things where Star Trek firmly planted it's flag in the 'soft sci-fi' territory. There are some things in the Star Trek universe that are beyond comprehension, from Mind Melds to the wormhole aliens to Q. Keeping those unknowable's there adds to the sense of curiosity and exploration and gives the writers a bit of scope to invoke magic when they need to.

Nah. TOS had this sort of thing on the regular. Truth verifiers, mind reprogramming, mind wipes, hell, Spock straight-up mind-melded with the Nomad probe. If a machine can participate in a mind meld, it can initiate one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the best moment of ST2009 was when the Kelvin went into full combat and was just bristling with point defense CIWS, secondary cannon, and main batteries.

These things aren't ships of the line intended to parade back and forth in the line (wall) of battle; they're independent cruisers designed for operation without support. They should be able to handle themselves against a wide variety of threats.