Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

Michelle Yeoh's character is going to have to find a way to get back somehow, unless the S31 show takes place during that short period between the end of S1 of Disco and S2

That's the thing. I almost feel they signed off prematurely on the S31 Starring Michelle Yeoh series, tabled it, then realized how cool it would be for her to go to the future with the gang. Now they're stuck having a show that takes place in a 6 month window where not a lot is happening in the galaxy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Abalone Malone posted:

Star Trek : Ruthless Aggression!!!

This has to be the Klingon Series...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

DaveKap posted:

"I didn't know Romulans could be so hot."
Pause for laughter.
"Me either."
Pause for further laughter and applause.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Except for the parts of the hull/bridge that come from Runabouts and the paint pattern that looks like it came from ST:Online.

From a few pages back, but then paint pattern looks like it came from Eddie Van Hslen's guitar.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I remember a lot of people giving the side-eye when Tilly goes "gently caress yeah" or whatever on Disco, but Whomst Among Us has never reacted the same way after figuring out a frustrating problem?

I usually say "THAT'S THE POWER OF MATH!"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

CPColin posted:

Marina Sirtis absolutely killed it when Troi first asks Picard if he's okay, he says he's fine, and every emotion washes over Troi's face as she senses how he's actually feeling. It was so not-called-out that I'm willing to bet it was a choice Sirtis made that wasn't in the script. (If it had been in the script, Troi would've said, "As an empath, I can sense your true feelings, so I know that you're actually feeling…".)

Let's also give credit to Frakes. He was legit nervous doing those scenes, cause he hasn't acted in years, just directed. Meanwhile Sirtis has been doing plays and poo poo. So he was a bit out of sorts, but he did fine.

I guess Riker never made it to Admiral in this timeline. Picard calls him "Commander" at one point, but I suppose it's just an affectation, as he was definitely captain of the Titan in canon. Whelp maybe Tom Riker got a pardon and is a Commodore running a starbase or something.

This was a good episode, though killing off Hugh was lame as hell. So much good potential for story and hope and seeing someone do good struck down in the name of "High Stakes Storytelling."

I've also seen some clickbait and chatter online speculating Captain Not Appearing In This Episode is Q. I hope he's either a still living Zefram Cochrane with his Companion and played by James Cromwell, or the Outrageous Okona.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Or we'll have a crossover episode where Burnham travels back in time to help Picard convince the Romulans that they averted that timeline. :geno:

Would far rather see Picard meet Pike.

Also was thinking about what I want to see in a Pike Show.

I want it to take the bold step in the era of Prestige TV of being purely episodic, wth no character development or continuing arcs whatsoever. No seasonlong Macguffin to chase. poo poo, we know where Pike and Spock end up, so why spend time on development other than some backstory?

Pure Planet/Monster Of The Week. Explore strange new worlds and get back to the SPACE IS loving WEIRD poo poo of TOS/TAS with green giant hands, 10 story tall clones, ancient gods, gangster planets, and space amoebas. It's period appropriate for the era of just before TOS, and would be a great counterpart to the postapoc ACTION SPACE BATTLES of Disco and the more contemplative Picard. And the presumably zany Lower Decks show.

If you want 52 weeks of Trek, you gotta make it thematically different.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

My first reaction to the STP theme was "meh". It was OK, but nothing special.

Seeing this, I now think it rules. A very deep cut.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Despite the utter shitshow that is the fall of Western Civilization we seem to be living through, there is evidence that we are, in fact, in the Best Timeline:

https://thegww.com/exclusive-captain-pike-star-trek-discovery-spin-off-series-in-the-works/

quote:

A ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ spin-off series centered around Captain Christopher Pike is officially in the works. We have also done some digging and discovered several details about the show.

First off, the Pike-centric series is currently titled “Star Trek: Enterprise.” Next, the production title is “Strange New World.”

quote:

The series is currently in pre-production, with the scripts for the first season having already been written. A release date is currently unknown.

:swoon:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

Speaking as the one who just got (rightly) called out as an idiot a few days ago for believing a story by the well-known trustworthy news site thegww.com, I have to say, I'm a little skeptical.

I mean, I certainly hope it's true, as Anson Mount's Pike is great, but still, color me a little bit waiting-for-another-source-ish.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/captain-pike-star-trek-spinoff-series-reportedly-development/

quote:

We Got This Covered has heard from our sources – the same ones who said Transformers is being rebooted and Jim Carrey’s Mask will feature in Space Jam 2 – that a Pike spinoff is in development for CBS All Access. As you would expect, it’ll also bring back Ethan Peck’s Spock and Rebecca Romijn’s Number One, who were also hits with the fandom on Discovery season 2, as the trio embark on adventures on the pre-TOS Enterprise.

:shrug:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Longbaugh01 posted:

I think a few people have at least seen that movie adaptation. I’m sure it doesn’t compare, but it is pretty.

And I’ve always heard the Ion Gruffud Hornblower and everyone’s favorite perpetually dying Sean Bean Sharpe series are good?

Ion Gruffud Hornblower (with bonus Paul McGann) is soooo good.

Anyone else get the impression that Soong isn't really in charge of his "children" at all, and they keep him around like the Daleks did Davros, as a "pet?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Jurati said she could restore Data 100% from like a single positron from Dahj or Soji, all she needed was a properly working lab, which, hey hey, she now has, PLUS a default body already 99% made and just waiting there for her to hijack right under Soong’s nose.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

How is that going to happen, B4 is on earth

Soong completes his body. It look like him at current age. He dies before he can go in, or the mind transfer fails. Jurati recreates Data's mind and installs it in the body. Spiner can now play Data at his age without CGI or makeup.

:boom:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Kazy posted:

Speaking of, where were the Q during the last time the "advanced synths" attacked? You'd think that'd be one of the few things they'd interfere for.

That was during the millienium where everyone was The Scarecrow.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I mean, it makes sense to use stock footage for things like animals decomposing and genes being spliced or whatever. That's the kind of archival footage that is frequently used in movie or show montages. But the corporate robots... I dunno. In a show about robots it seems like cheating to me somehow.

https://youtu.be/pHUEYIE_MZA Especially 2:10, but really a lot of STP has been cribbed from here. They paraphrased "all this has happened before, and all this will happen again" in the finale episode dialogue at one point.

To be fair to Star Trek, they have been handling the issue of sentient robots for a longer period of time, but the slave race of robot workers rising up, robot vs organics war, and organic robots is very particularly :bsg:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, I wasn't going to say anything about that scene because I assumed I just missed something, but it seemed like I would have had to miss an awful lot for things to develop the way they have.

It was "Pair the Spares" as hell. Rios and Jurati are together, Picard has his adoptive son Elfo, and I guess they were like "wait, is there something we can do for Seven and Raffi?"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Ramadu posted:

9/11 broke a lot of brains in Hollywood

Now just imagine what our current situation will do to influence the next 20 years of tv.

Assuming there still is tv...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

:wtc: what on earth were they thinking with those loving monstrosities?

Star Trek: The Motion Picture (1979)

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can understand wanting to put your own stamp on something and update what you see as a dated look, but man they completely loving whiffed when it came to that Klingon redesign. Nothing about it works in the slightest.

I mean L’Rell is practically loving blue and it looks so goddamn weird when every other Klingon we’ve seen prior has had a normal human-ish skin tone.

I kinda figured the Grey Klingons were the only way you could have white actors play Klingons anymore without it being blackface. There is no way you could get away with Christopher Lloyd or J G Hertzler putting on brown skin tone nowadays.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

So like what's the conversion factor for pantone to racism.

Calling this blackface involves some heuristics spitting out weird conclusions. Is this makeup darker than Herzler's natural skin tone? Yes. Is this white actor portraying a non-white character? I don't think so. There's pretty clearly a wide range of Klingon skin tones.

It's not Minstrel Show makeup, but the social conversation has moved pretty much to "if a white person darkens their skin for any reason, it is definitely racist and the role should have went to a person of color." It can be debated, but I don't think Star Trek will be the platform for that. Keep in mind that on DISCO a black man was repreminded for using the n-word in the writer's room in front of non-black employees of CBS and subsequently quit. They err on the side of caution.

Gonz posted:

Disco season 3 taking place 900 years in the goddamn future where they aren't bound by canon is the best decision for that show.

No more need to tip-toe around show bibles anymore. Just go crazy with new paradigms and alliances and antagonists.

:agreed: Looking more forward to a season of DISCO than ever before.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Chronologically Lost is awesome, not to mention fascinating, but you really need to have watched it normally at least twice and have a good grasp of the story.

:aaaaa:

Wow I had forgotten that. What was the story again, and was he a writer himself or something else.

He was Walter Mosley, a very well respected, nearly 70 year old scifi writer who had been hired onto DISCO and was seen as a big coup for having him on staff. He was speaking from personal experience, having had experienced racial discrimination and epitaphs in his own life and was anonymously called out to Human Resources for it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/06/opinion/sunday/walter-mosley.html

Or as he put it, he got a call from an HR rep who said "It has been reported that you used the 'n-word' in the writer's room."

To which he replied, "I AM the n-word in the writer's room!"

“There I was, a black man in America who shares with millions of others the history of racism,” he wrote. “And more often than not, treated as subhuman. If addressed at all that history had to be rendered in words my employers regarded as acceptable.”

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I mean, hell, with how long the old ships were kept around, there still ought to be Galaxy class ships still kicking.

You kidding? All those blew up. Starfleet went through them as fast as the OG 12 Connies.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Arglebargle III posted:

Just accept that Star Trek was bad in the past and that's why this Star Trek is good.

Much like Roddenberry's explanation of the TMP Klingons, perhaps Star Trek was always sweary and gory, they just lacked the budget to show the True Star Trek. :smug:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

La Sirena isn't featureless, it's painted like Eddie Van Halen's guitar! :haw:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

xerxus posted:

Don't be so racist. Just because the Super Synths have menacing tentacles doesn't mean they're actually genocidal.

For all we know, the Admonition was left behind by an equivalent of a trickster Q of the Synths and not at all representative of the species.

#NOTALLSYNTHS

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Bloop posted:

Oh I fully agree

It's usually better left to the imagination, in fact. But I'm just speculating about season 2. I doubt she'll be tending bar

Counterpoint: Raffi and Rios getting served at Guinen's bar for an hour, shooting the poo poo.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Well, what if we meet you halfway and *slides glasses down nose to check notepad* give him a funny accent and put him in a french beret and fake moustache?

And yet somehow this was the best part.

So maybe RoboPicard and Elfo zooming around on the sand in a dune buggy might be a highlight of S2?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Spacebump posted:

Please be an episodic show.

Also please lean into the 60s aesthetic. I hope they straight up use the TOS theme like how the TMP theme was recycled for TNG and V.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

mllaneza posted:

This should absolutely happen. Hell, pick a good actor and make Captain (later Commodore) Decker a recurring guest. Jeffrey Combs of course of course. Hell, they gave us what we want once already.

I've said this before, but the opportunities to bring back TOS era characters and explore them are big. Every admiral and captain on TOS could show up younger. So we could see Decker, Ron Tracey, Mendez, Garth of Izar. Same for movies--Morrow, Terrell, the unseen Nogura. Because of the merger, anyone from the JJ movies is available-like an alternate, not as bad Admiral Marcus could be played by Peter Weller and he can direct too. Robert and Sarah April from TAS would work. T'Pol from Enterprise should be alive, maybe even Shran-how long do Andorians live? Plus USS Enterprise crewmembers like Boyce or Piper as the CMO would be logical. Scotty is fair game too--he's established as older than Kirk and in beta canon he was always on the Enterprise pre-Kirk.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

feedmyleg posted:

Honestly, that's an optimistic view. It'll be about some dark secret at the heart of Starfleet and will make everyone hate the OS characters due to incredibly melodramatic and off-model takes on their characters.

Counterpoint: Pike, Number One, and younger :spock: on DISCO had takes that were on model and enhanced them, particularly what little we'd seen of the former. Pike went from a moody, morose antihero to a three dimensional guy who was inspiring, the best of classic Starfleet, an inspiring leader who still had some dark edge to him and baggage. Number One went from aloof to having charm and a sense of humor while still retaining her Vulcanian remoteness and exploring it some. This Spock canonizes some of his lack of emotional control in The Cage and Where No Man Has Gone Before and turns it into a setup for developing him into the Spock of TOS.

No reason we can't do that for Scotty, whatever old ships doctor they pick, or whatever. Really don't want them to bring in Kirk, but IIRC it's canon that Pike handpicked Kirk to be the next Captain of the 1701, yet we don't know why or what their relationship was or if Kirk had or had not served under him. Kirk knew him well enough to call him by his first name in The Menagerie. I think it's entirely possible Kirk could have been on the Enterprise. Other than beta canon, we've never seen Kirk take over the Enterprise or what his early time there as captain was like. By the start of TOS, he'd been in charge for awhile. It was only later that TOS S1 became considered the start of the Five Year Mission. I'd honestly rather see Kirk as a green ship captain on his first command of a smaller ship, doing a small arc of episodes working with Pike and the Enterprise than a redo of "young arrogant Kirk grows up" like in JJ Trek.

I also hope they can avoid some "dark secret" mytharc plot. They did it in DISCO S2, they did it in Picard, they're doing it in DISCO S3. I assume the Untitled Section 31 Show starring Michelle Yeoh will be full of that. Plenty of room on All Access for a lighter, episodic classic Star Trek show. It would be the boldest possible choice they could make in the era of Prestige TV.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 16, 2020

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Just an addendum, I went to Memory Alpha to see what they say is exactly on screen canon about Kirk's pre-TOS career:

quote:

In 2257, the Farragut engaged the dikironium cloud creature at the planet Tycho IV. The creature killed Captain Garrovick and two hundred of the ship's crew. Farragut's record tapes of the event included Lieutenant Kirk insisting upon blaming himself for the disaster, citing his delay in firing the ship's phaser banks at the creature as he lost consciousness. The ship's executive officer disagreed, stating, "Lieutenant Kirk is a fine young officer who performed with uncommon bravery." (TOS: "Obsession")

Kirk's Starfleet service through the late 2250s and early 2260s was rewarded with a rapid rise through the ranks.

By 2265, at the age of thirty-two, Kirk assumed command of the Constitution-class USS Enterprise from Christopher Pike. (TOS: "The Menagerie, Part I") Kirk's father, who was often credited for providing him with the inspiration to join Starfleet, lived long enough to see his son earn his first captaincy. (Star Trek)

Startrek.com is even more vague but does say Kirk took over the Enterprise in 2264.

Disco's 2nd season was 2258. So if Strange New Worlds takes place in 2258/9 that gives us 5 years at least til Kirk takes over the ship, and a gap in canon in his life from 2257 as a Lt to 2264 as a Captain. There's actually a lot worthwhile to explore there. You could even see more of Kirk's parents and brother (who should be the same actor who plays Kirk, with a bad mustache). Though obviously if they couldn't afford Hemsworth for a movie, they couldn't get him to show up for a tv show episode.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tighclops posted:

A new Star Trek show, but it's just combs doing Shakespeare in a park somewhere

In the original Klingon, I hope.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Powered Descent posted:

I suddenly remembered something, and went digging back through the thread.

From exactly two months ago, March 17th:

https://thegww.com/exclusive-captain-pike-star-trek-discovery-spin-off-series-in-the-works/

:swoon:

We've done a fair amount of making GBS threads on TheGWW, but I have to admit they loving nailed this one.
[/quote]

:smug:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

Can someone give me a plot synopsis of Picard because I'm watching reviews of it and what the flying gently caress

ACTING CAPTAIN WILL RIKER

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Cugel the Clever posted:

Pshaw, one thousand ships? What is this, a lullaby show for babies? Come on, guy, if you want this to be an action show, you're going to need ONE MILLION ships on each side,

Or at least a few hundred thousand. Also set it to classical music.

https://youtu.be/ZG-NvzAAJhw

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

AntherUslessPoster posted:

They had a plan.

It is stated in the intro credits

The plan to destroy human civilization across 12 planets by the Cavil series to piss off his cylon Mom and Dad.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Torrannor posted:

Not soon, I hope. I'm a lot more interested in Discovery than Picard.

At this point I may be the same. DISCO is going all out into the far future, creating new canon. This is something I have wanted from Star Trek since the end of Voyager. They could tell some really neat stories and set up a whole new worldbuilding experience.

I am very eager for Pike, but that is 90% Anson Mount, 9% Number One and Spock, and 1% anything else. I am over prequels, and if it wasn't for how great Mount's Pike was I would have zero interest. poo poo, if you have Archives you could see I wasn't happy with Enterprise being a prequel 20 years ago!

The more I reflect on Picard, the less enamored I am of it as time passes. The ending of turning Picard into a human cylon, but one with frailty and aging (so basically zero change) leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It was just a way to do a big shocking death and then take it back. That started with :spock: in TWOK but the original intention was that it was permenant. The Picard one just seems tacky. Also the cool stuff like the former Borg, Romulan refugees, and Acting Captain William Riker goes basically nowhere and there's a lot of dumb poo poo. Hopefully it will improve.

If I were the DISCO writers I would go through some of the schlocky old school "travel to the far future post apoc" fiction and watch it, then pull out the genuinely cool concepts while weeding out the lame. In stuff like Planet if the Apes (including the tv show and cartoon), Buck Rogers, Andromeda, and others you can find interesting premises and ideas when you remove outdated storytelling and bad episodes. Put that through a modern lens.

Andromeda for example, had amazing detailed worldbuilding and backstory. The premise was cool. They did a great first season but quickly lost their way and abandoned the series concept. DISCO could do season after season of exploring broken former Federation societies and trying to bring them into the fold. Create a New Federation in a new time that would inspire people.

There are temptations the writers must avoid though. One is to do what Andromeda did and wrap that story up as a one season MacGuffin--which is what they did with their first 2 seasons on DISCO. They also should try to do stories that are reflective of modern problems without hitting you over the head with 9/11 ALLEGORY or THIS IS JUST LIKE TRUMP. Real morality stories are timeless and can be viewed years later and not seem specific or dated. A good example is the DS9 episodes that presaged 9/11 but in retrospect could bave been written after. They were telling a story that is not specific and always relevant.*

*Which of course is DON'T TRUST SHAPESHIFTERS!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Snorb posted:

If Picard ended with that shot of Picard and Data dissolving into stardust, I'd be a lot less irritated about it.

Instead, we got "Oh, by the way, we Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V'd your brain into a robot body and you're just a robot who thinks he's Picard." Which is still marginally better than "Hey, we blew up the Xindi superweapon, and Earth is saved! ...Whaddya mean, 'we're in 1944 and the loving Nazis took over Earth???'"

I will never forgive them for not showing how they got to the past.

Like they just flew off alongside a Xindi ship, said "OK, seeya!" and flew to Earth. And then it was Alternate 1944.

No wormhole, no temporal anomaly, nothing.

Did that Xindi ship end up in 1944 too?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Epicurius posted:

I mean, we don't know what mechanism got them to the past, but we know Daniels did it.

"PHLOX: Captain Archer is dead. He was on the Xindi weapon when it exploded. Are you responsible for sending us back in time? (Daniels nods feebly) "

And Daniels had taken Archer through time in a previous episode using future technology. So the answer is "29th century time travel magic". In TNG, we don't know how Q sent them to Sherwood Forest, or how Kevin Uxbridge committed genocide on the Husnock either. It's not really important to the story.

True, but it flies in the face of established storytelling in the Trek universe: every other intance of time travel was accompanied with some sort of visual sfx cues.

It would be as if phasers were suddenly in one episode invisible beams where a guy on the bridge pushes a button and we see an enemy ship blow up for no apparent reason. And then next episode they are green beams again.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sad King Billy posted:

That design is rather dumb and reminds me of the Oberth, with the primary and secondary hulls being widely separated.

I like it because being this is a comedy they will probably address and make jokes out of all the fan criticisms of the Oberth design over the years.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Edison was from the Enterprise era, he probably would not still be alive by the 2250s

Yeah, but he is though. Everything that happened before the Kelvin incident is canon in the Original Timeline. Edison/Krall is still on that planet. Also this means anything changed in the Kelvinverse isn't--Captain Robeau could show up 20 years older. Kirk's father may still be serving; he's certainly still alive. Admiral Marcus would be a younger but well regarded (though probably secretly racist) officer.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Martytoof posted:

Infinitely better than the garbage we got.

I would pay CBS money to have Patrick Stewart just walk around France showing us the sights.

There's still hope though. Make the Section 31 show about time travel, have Picard steal a time ship and fly back to present day to do a travel show where he shows us the best places to eat/stay in rural France.

With or without the eye patch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Bloop posted:

Synths are always made in pairs