Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Alchenar posted:

Yeah we had this conversation when the show was running. There's plenty of scenes in isolation where its possible to read Picard as being wrong and out of touch, but the show always vindicates him, sometimes in terrible ways.

Take the bar fight on the Romulan refugee planet - one way of looking at it is that Picard is an insensitive grumpy old man who insults the traumatised refugees. The other way of looking at it is that Picard cynically picks a fight with some racists in order to provoke Elnor to kill a guy and join him. Both of those interpretations make Picard look terrible.

It's really weird, because the ending of the show is that Picard dies for the sins of the organics (oppressing the robots that built the Admonition, the synth ban, etc) and comes back to life like Jesus. The more I think about it, the more weird Christ parallels are present. Picard dies offering Soji his life to prevent the demons from devouring the sinful organic life-forms. He goes to the afterlife and has an extremely Catholic chat with Data about how mortality is the most precious thing. We get a montage of all the women wailing over Picard's body, then he miraculously returns to life.

Am I reading too much into this, because it reminds me of Mel Gibson movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU