Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

I enjoyed this, but - and this dates me - Picard's "Man from Del Monte" get-up caused me to crease over laughing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

I am also worried that Detmer's got Control in her now because there seems to be some sort of skittish nanomachines moving around on the floor around Saru when he was lying there at the start. Or were they just water droplets or something?

I'm not sure if I was disappointed or relieved that, in the slow pan up the Space Western Villain entering the Space Western Bar, he wasn't wearing a black hat

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Bit of a step down this episode because I just don't care about THE BURN or its cause at all. Teleporting Linus and Dad Stamets was good though.

I did enjoy the Blake's 7-style "gently caress it, we'll film it at our local gasworks or whatever" Orion base. And the Running Man-ness of the... well, of the bits they nicked from the Running Man. And Fortress

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

happyhippy posted:

Plenty of air in those turbolift shafts.

Plenty of gravity too. In the one place on this ship it would be good to have it turned off.

Thought it was fine, if powerfully dumb in places, overall. Wish they hadn't bothered at all with the stupid "here is how the nonsense pseudoscience behind the burn actually worked" padding.

Having said that, a few words about how Gray actually "worked" wouldn't have gone amiss, as I spent a long time assuming he was just a holoprojection of Adira's mental image of him. But then he goes outside the holo and can see things? His body has holographic eyes that transmit back to Adira or something? What?

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Was expecting "you can't go back to front" to be honest

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

HD DAD posted:

I don’t know if it was an intentional choice by Dominic Keating, but Reed always seemed hilariously uncomfortable when trying to play up his straightness.

“Yes I sure do enjoy women and their vaginas. Just us straight guys locked in this shuttlepod together, talking about how attractive women are.”

I think Keating did pretty much say this at one point.

Also lieutenant Gruber from 'Allo 'Allo briefly pops up as Reed's dad, so the casting department may be in on it as well

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

The Bloop posted:

Lost it at the perfect comic timing of he works in a thieves' den in that pirate base

Also the out-of-nowhere background non-sequitur in Rutherford's freakout with multiple Shaxes - "What's the deal with T'pol's hair in season 3?" or whatever it was

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Euler's equation if I remember right.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Idle Picard speculation: it's bringing the horror of the Borg Queen to the past that panics idiot 21st century humans into becoming xenophobic loons in the first place

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Bits of this when it isn't spinning its wheels are still quite good, but "Is this a dream... or is it a nightmare????", ooooff. Also here are my squad of hired goons

Two Owls fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 22, 2022

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

I liked the approximately one second of Borg-Jurati walking triumphantly in slow motion near the start of the episode before they chickened out and realized it was too stupid looking.

Umpteen green lasers converge on Raffi and Seven
"We need to get out of here!"

There's some neat ideas here, but it's just so... badly made, on a very basic level.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

I hear Chapel's an MD now

Apart from one nice Q/Picard scene, the last episode of Picard was complete bollocks. And add me to the "what was wrong with BorgJurati's face" group

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Payndz posted:

That crew appeared as a gag in season 1, where T'ana got on the wrong ship because the Cali-class "all look alike". It was a real deep cut (and a funny one) to bring them back two years later.

Something I caught on a rewatch is T'Ana and Shax are chatting with Alhamba-T'Ana at the scene in the bar at the end.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

I'm glad something is happening now - just open the loving door already for Christ's sake - but it's a shame it's mostly complete bollocks. Oh no, the kids aren't alright! This and the constant nostalgia baiting just makes me feel like an old fart, which probably isn't the emotion they're aiming for. I guess alien race's brains all mature at the same rate, as well.

In conclusion,

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Decrepit Borg Queen reminded me of Davros. And the whole "Borg procreation" speech reminded me of Alien Resurrection, which is never a good thing. Were the Borg Babies from their first appearance officially retconned away, thinking about it?

"Attack the fleet - remember, they're not manned by the children of anyone important"

"Come mother, hug me and my ill-fitting Robocop suit"

Pffff. By no means the worst of Picard, but clearly papering over its massive cracks with nostalgia. The changeling stuff was a pointless dead end, and the massive fleet with phasers pew-pewing everywhere just looks cheap no matter how much money you throw at it.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

That was another bit where I burst out laughing when I probably wasn't meant to, as they seemed to be using the old Windows Pipes screensaver to plot their course

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

The_Doctor posted:

People liked it all in early X-Files. Here’s a monster, now here’s some lore. People got irritated by the lore past a certain point when it became apparent Carter had run out of his established backstory and was now making it up as it went along*.

*about the end of season 3

Britons will know this as the "BBC1 point" - the exact moment that the BBC realised the X-Files was massively popular and moved it from BBC2 to BBC1, but also the point when it became clear it was going nowhere. You know, about that episode with with the ship that caused you to age quickly.

Uh, Lower Decks is good.