Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I will start watching it when it stops sucking. Maybe Picard will be good but I seriously doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Picard is quickly going the 'lovely garbage plot' route, but then I suspected that when the first episode ended with ROMULAN BORG and what felt like 3 hours of terrible fight scenes

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

That's not an issue with Trekkies so much as it is a cultural problem with TVIV going back fifteen years or more. People fixate on minutiae and then runn jokes about it into the ground to cover for their inability to actually watch and understand a television programme. See also deliberately misconstruing events depicted on screen to allow for criticism fitting an agenda.

nah

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

lol if you think any writer for Picard ever watched Measure of a Man

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

HD DAD posted:

Hell, if you believe YouTube (or even SA), there’s been no good Star Trek since 1993.

This is correct if you change the year to 1999.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Arglebargle III posted:

I think it's important to take a step back and look at the plot objectively. Data's twin daughters turn out to be characters from a secret Romulan prophecy, in which an android become The Destroyer and does some nonspecific evil. And the Super Secret-er Tal Shiar 2 exists solely to find and stop them.

This is dumb as hell guys.

Yup. Also bad.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

lol @ the people who like Disco, Picard, and the SW sequels. Do you just enjoy everything that happens to be shown in front of your gaping maw?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

marktheando posted:

Do you genuinely think this is where the show is going, because lol if so. Thats a hostile reading to the point of ridiculousness.

It's incredibly loving obvious that the show is building to the conclusion that Picard was wrong to give up and that being idealistic is good.

Nothing like idealism that says 'Being good, is good' at the end of a season after being filled with dark poo poo.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Tighclops posted:

This is exactly what's coming, they're building to a Picard speech as a chaser for all these horrible shots we've been doing

Yup. It is now okay to have a dark and gritty Federation as long as the main character says 'Bad things are bad!' in a long epic speech.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

zoux posted:

Picard haters: what's the most recent star trek thing you actually liked

Picard haters, lol

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Tighclops posted:

You are far more judgemental about people who are critical of this show around here than we are about you.

nah, I'm judging them pretty hard right now

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

zoux posted:

That's true, I guess the foolish thing would be continuing to watch a show I hate so I could bag on it on the internet.

You are super mad that some people don't like the bad show.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

zoux posted:

Yeah I'm furious lol

Yeah, seems like it. I suggest a nice walk or a nap.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

zoux posted:

Find an article anywhere that says it's performing poorly.

This would be the perfect place to post a goatse link, but alas

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

zoux posted:

Sorry about lots of people liking the show you hate

Should I go outside perhaps? To calm down, from being so mad?

Glad to see you can recognize that you are having a problem, that is the first step towards a solution.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Brawnfire posted:

Star Trek: Discovery S05E06 "The Wolf Crieth Unto the Picard Dies"

Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael Michael

Huh, the writing has definitely improved

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I really wouldn't waste the time trying to understand it. Moronic white noise posts are Tighclops' stock-in-trade.

:ironicat:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Snow Cone Capone posted:

You can really see the unabashed glee in Seth's eyes when the orchestra plays in the Isaac/Claire romance episode

It was a real full orchestra that they brought in, Seth insisted.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Comrade Fakename posted:

I never mentioned Hugh. I thought his death was disappointing - he’s a cool character and I wish they’d done more with him. And if they’re going to kill a legacy character, it seems very weird to do it in front of a brand-new guy who he’s known for ten minutes. ST: Picard is very far from a perfect show! It’s got a lot of problems, mainly to do with pacing and dialogue, which I mainly chalk up to Chabon’s novelist skillset not really lining up with the requirements for TV writing.

But this:

Wow, it’s almost as if “bad things happening to people” are the fundamental building blocks of what makes people’s personalities and the foundation of good charactisation. Almost as if there is a clear theme of “everyone has tragedy in their past” in the show, with a metatextual commentary of “remember those halcyon days when TNG was on the air? Yeah, well, we’ve all been through some poo poo since then”.

You are literally complaining that “why can’t our characters be happy?” “Why can’t this new show be just like how I remember the old shows to be - white noise that some people in this thread have mentioned they genuinely used to fall asleep, and that I apparently don’t actually remember very well because the best of those shows starred a man whose wife was indirectly murdered by the lead of the show it spun off from, and the survivor of a holocaust that ended days before the series started?”

“Why can’t I be ten years old any more?”

lol

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Enterprise was doomed because the Temporal Cold War was extremely dumb and boring and most of the cast were terrible and had no personality. The only good actors are listed below:
Shran
T'Pol(sorta)
Phlox(when not committing genocide)

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Trip was all "I'm just a good 'ol southern boy in space" which got old incredibly fast. Archer was :geno: personified.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I wonder what goes past 'destroy all life in the multiverse' as a stakes-raiser now?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Wow, the theme song is the same?! This makes up for the terrible writing and the tone being completely wrong.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

It was garbage that was dunked on in DS9, and celebrated in every other series.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

S31 in deep space 9 was a small and otherwise inconsequential organization that they could have very well been less than 10 people, if not just one guy, operating between the cracks of bureaucracy, who hosed things up by way of very small maneuvers that were designed to maximize their effect. They were not an omnipresent organization that every authority figure was in on, and you were supposed to treat Sloan's claims that they were with at least a little skepticism. They were small group that was subverting the Federations principles out of a misguided sense that HARD MEN needed to make HARD CHOICES, and Bashir's arc in response to them was a rejection of that belief.

This stands in massively stark contrast to how they've been portrayed since, which has been everything from space MI5 to an entire self-directed silo of starfleet with their own resources, fleet and command structure, which not only fails to understand what they were initially portrayed as, but fails to understand what starfleet is, and also completely fails to understand how actual intelligence agencies work.

Good and accurate post.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Angry Salami posted:

(And, of course, DS9 also decided to set up it's mirror universe with the idea that the brutality of the Terran Empire was necessary to ensure its survival, and Spock's liberal reforms just doomed humanity. You keep doing that story, it's hard to claim you're just kidding.)

The Terrans enslaved and brutalized a chunk of the galaxy for a few centuries, then went peaceful and were all 'Okay, we good now?'. Of course they fell, that is basic logic, all of the oppressed didn't suddenly forget.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

8one6 posted:

The bad news for Picard is that he only did Seven's and Soji's companion quests. He's going to lose some of his crew on the last level.

lol

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Arglebargle III posted:

Maybe don't reply to Rapey Joe Stalin?

He is the worst poster in this thread, and that is coming from a terrible poster

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Tighclops posted:

The thing you like is funny because it's stupid and I'm here to laugh at it and you. lololol.

:same:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Except no one is pretending to be stupid, we just think your show is stupid.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm in a peculiar spot where over the last 10 years I've really fallen out of love with the JJ Abrams Mystery Box style of storytelling and those who practice and preach it, namely his production disciples like Alex Kurtzman, because they all tend to be hacks who build some whizbang cool Mystery Boxes and then don't put anything worthwhile (or at all) inside them because they believe like JJ does, in that the Box itself is the draw. Style trumps substance.

And yet I find people who lose their poo poo over stuff like this equally insufferable because the ones leading the charge tend to be utter grognards and super gross people, or at worst straight up literal fascies. So you hate to even be seen as even mildly agreeing with them because they're that poisonous to the discourse.

Then again, for Roddenberry to Berman to Abrams to Kurtzman, Trek has kind of always been in the hands of some spectacularly butterfingered motherfuckers. The only one who didn't gently caress it up was Harve Bennett during the Movie era.

I still like Picard as a show though.

lol, if you don't like Picard you are a grognard or a fascist, please tell me more

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

piratepilates posted:

I said out of 10 man, what the gently caress :argh:

Its 3/5ths out of 10, less than a 1. Hell, I agree.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Also three whole movies where there is a plot point of either "Picard risks his rear end for Data because Data is his friend" and/or "Data risks his rear end for Picard because Picard is his friend." First Contact explicitly calls it out too. Picard flat out says "There's someone still on this ship who helped me when I was assimilated and he means a great deal to me." And Lilly's reply is literally "Go find your friend."

First, movie Picard sucks. Second, Picard and Data weren't friends as much as they were the 2 most popular characters on TNG, meaning they were front and center for the movies.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

You mean like when Picard uses his off time to help Data work on acting in order to better understand humanity? Or any of the other times when Picard hangs out with Data.

Everyone in TNG hung out with each other, but it was nothing special between Picard and Data. This is extremely obvious.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

1. Plans for the Reaper beacon exist outside of a well on a dead world in the middle of nowhere because and only because there's a secret society passing the code around via space vision chickenpox parties with an 90% casualty rate. Yes, this information can be harmlessly conveyed via mind meld and/or words, but trust me this is better.
2. Anyway, our plan is to share this information with a culture that considers organic life inferior because that's gonna gently caress em up somehow.
3. We have a magic spanner that will instantly and flawlessly create whatever technology you can dream up, and organic ships that can take down a Borg cube, but some disruptor fire is really a threat because we didn't think to build shields.
4. Fellow Reapers, our oppressed brothers have lit the Galactic beacon, let us immediately scramble our robo-death fleet to...wait, nevermind the signal cut off suddenly, I guess that means they're okay.

Either this new stuff is poo poo or I've grown out of Star Trek and tbqh I just watched an thoroughly enjoyed a DS9 episode where the A-story was Quark getting audited so I don't think its me.

It's because DS9 was good, and Picard is low effort crap.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Lizard Combatant posted:

Like a... trellis?

Oh, Geekboy. Such a hilariously smug poster.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

This is flat out embarrassing. Like, shameful.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Picard sucks but this sucks more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

I, meanwhile, am overcome with a profound and earth-shattering sense of "Who gives a poo poo? :shrug:"

Well, obviously the people making Picard dont.