Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Discovery is fine if you don’t go in determined to hate it, hth.

Do you really want to start your thread with this toxic garbage. You've immediately dismissed all issues with the show as some sort of personal failing of the person watching it.

Also standards have increased since Star Trek started airing as had the amount of competition it's facing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Facebook Aunt posted:

Technology growth was making future stories harder. By the end of Voyager the Federation knows a lot about wormholes, warp 10, borg transwarp conduits and whatnot. Lots of stuff the crew of Voyager couldn't make work would reasonably be perfected once it was in the hands of Federation scientists.

If that continues, then in the near future space exploration will be trivial. The alpha and beta quadrants are fully mapped. The Gamma quadrant is likely off limits to avoid coming into conflict with the Founders again. Most of the Delta Quadrant is still undiscovered, but it is heavily infested by Borg, and there were a bunch of other empires that weren't thrilled with Voyager crossing their space. There isn't much unclaimed space left in the entire galaxy.

I suppose they could get around that by having inter-galactic travel become possible with the new technologies. A new galaxy could shed a lot of the restrive canon. Maybe even with all the fancy it still takes years to reach the nearest galaxy. Which would b easily passed in stasis but it would mean backup wouldn't be a few days away.

But instead it looks like Discovery is going with the Federation having splintered and fallen, with some technological regression so they can just erase any inconvient technologies. :shrug:

At the beginning of TNG they have the ability to make anything and teleport anywhere. Technology always worked to whatever was needed for the episode of the week that it somehow got too advanced is a silly notion.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Captain Alexander Rozhenko.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

HD DAD posted:

This. Star Trek, first and foremost, is constructed of morality plays based on allegories for current events. And these allegories are sometimes hilariously unsubtle. It just has a “hot science of the week” icing on top.

People who miss this just baffle me.

If anything when it tries to be "about science" it comes off as offensive and just dumb. "Hey I built this machine that harvests power from every black hole in the universe at the same time on this desk in 5 minutes" "gently caress yeah science!"

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Zotix posted:

This has probably been asked already, but Dahjs mom knew she went to Picard. Was that the assassin's impersonating her mother? Was is Dahjs memory faltering?

Probably not even real or a AI.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Delthalaz posted:

Picard appears as a CGI nexus ghost to give Soji advice for the best few seasons to ease the transition though

Only if they use Bullock soundbites from American Dad.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

I'm assuming he was joking and referring to the point where the shelves meet not being 100% perfectly aligned, not the barrel distortion of the lens.

But the most important part is the joking.

kidkissinger, please tell everyone you were joking. dear god please tell them or this will never end.

e: gently caress it, forget the shelves look at that bent rear end cupboard! bullshit production design. just pure garbage.

Just pretend it's a neat background to show how something is slightly off with her whole existence.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Whole lotta people real angry over some crooked teeth

Well one person.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Uncle Lloyd posted:

The Federation has never been a post-currency society. Post-scarcity, sure, but there have been repeated, if not ubiquitous, references to using money even within the system, as it were, without getting into off-books pilots operating on the edge of legality. In Wrath of Khan the Federation explicitly funded Genesis, for instance.

They very clearly say several times they don't use money. They even lampshade this is DS9 when Nog asks Jake why they don't and he doesn't have an answer.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

You are actually incoherent.

Do you ever watch the show or did you see this as a good place to troll nerds cause that seems to be your main and only goal.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Leave it to Trekkies to rant and debate about sunglasses for ten pages without discussing the actual plot of the show.

Leave it to Trekkies to not actually read the last 10 pages for a pointless lovely potshot at other Trekkies.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

That's not an issue with Trekkies so much as it is a cultural problem with TVIV going back fifteen years or more. People fixate on minutiae and then runn jokes about it into the ground to cover for their inability to actually watch and understand a television programme. See also dliberately misconstruing events depicted on screen to allow for criticism fitting an agenda.

So a few people joking about sunglasses means they are morons?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

TheCenturion posted:

TLDR: Raffi is bitter because she had her chosen career derailed through no fault of her own, feels betrayed by the guy she views as responsible, and appears to have untreated paranoia and depression or something, which is exacerbated by drug use.

Yet she wants for no necessity of life or creature comfort, has a room full of high end computers with hacking and data analysis tools, and is enough of a wine connoisseur to inquire about specific vintages of Picard’s wine bribe.

She literally talks about how lovely her place is after talking about how fancy Picard's is. They very clearly convey she is poor.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

marktheando posted:

If it sounds like siri or alexa or whatever that totally isn't good enough to use for tv.

I could see them using a more computery sounding voice as part of the anti-synth movement so people don't confuse the computer with a real person or start thinking it has rights.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Nullsmack posted:

If Picard dies, they're just going to have to call it "Star Trek:"

Star Trek: Seven
a confusing name but probably a better show.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

That's exactly my issue. I'd like to talk about the programmes I enjoy watching without pointlessly aggressive gate keeping by shitwits who are offended that people might like it, and subsequently try to drown any discourse in meaningless catchphrases and criticisms unsupported by the episodes.

And yet you seem to want one for raging about the show you decided to dislike.

95% of your posts in this thread are personal attacks against the posters within in, the moment anyone points this out you start bitching about "gatekeeping" Nobody here cares if someone else likes the show.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I think Fuller gets way too much blame for Discovery. The line that always sticks out to me as just dumb from the series is the episode where they come back from the mirror universe and they are like "oh no the entire federation has been destroyed" and the next episode its like lost 25% of its territory, the obvious bullshit for drama and immediate rollback just felt cheap. Like nothing in Discovery can just be minor it all has to be galaxy ending or the best thing ever, like that device they threw together in 5 minutes that harnessed what was it every black hole in the galaxy?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

marktheando posted:

I'd watch Orville if Seth McFarlane hadn't cast himself as the lead. He really rubs me the wrong way.

I was worried about this as well but really he's feels far less of a lead then a Star Trek captain. Also they made him kind of a lame creep and don't shy too much from pointing that out.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I think a lot of people who consider themselves fans of Trek are managing to ignore that the Federation, and most of their neighbouring powers, were brought to their knees by the Dominion war.

It explains everything from planets saying "gently caress no we aren't giving our resources to the loving Romulans, they didn't want to help us, oh and also they are still a threat" to them needing to build an evacuation flotilla at Mars specifically for the the attempt. And also why a conspiracy would have been able to turn the synth uprising and loss of that flotilla into, to paraphrase the Rear Admiral from Dunkirk, "we need our ships back".
Without requiring endless exposition it is something that should be easily reasoned by anyone familiar with the setting.

And also Starfleet has always been depicted as a quasi-fascist Bad Ideas factory. So nothing we've seen has actually been surprising.

Except the Romulans very much did help turn the tide of the war?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

MikeJF posted:

The medical stuff was in the form of an AI, which she's pretty experienced with.

I fully expect a scene where all the AI help her take over the ship.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

galenanorth posted:

DIS S02E01 is like a whole different show. It's so much better without Ash Tyler, the Klingons, and every episode's plot being "are they going to do bad things because it's easy". The Burnham family storyline is all right if they weren't namedropping established characters, which as the saying goes, makes the fictional universe feel smaller. The episode had Apollo 13 vibes and Commander Reno's a treasure.

You uh aren't going to like this season then.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Delthalaz posted:

You know come to think about it, these hybrid children with parents from entirely different species that evolved on planets lightyears apart may be some of the most implausible conceits in star trek

Sometimes they talk about the tech and science required to do that and how hard it is to pull off, then sometimes it happens accidently like with Dukat and his cultist. In short Star Trek is a land of contrasts and every single episode is in a slightly different mirror universe thank you.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Zaroff posted:

It's a shame Voyager has been made already, since I think that were they to make a series like it now, making an active effort to follow through with the potential narratives (the Starfleet/Maquis conflict, dwindling supplies and a ship falling apart), you would get something which has the potential to be so much better than that which we got.

I dunno groups of assholes trying to survive on spaceship has done plenty of times since then.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

:confused: Where did the 10 days thing come from? Everyone is exactly where they were. Narissa (after her appearance in the Ascent to Transcendence flashback) is still on the cube, Picard and Soji have just stepped off the transporter from being beamed up from Deanna and Will's front yard at the end of last week's show, and Elnor is even still doing the exact same fight scene. (I guess Seven got there implausibly quickly, again.)

Yeaaaah, this part doesn't make a whole lot of sense. She's got ordinary human-seeming muscles (and mucus!) but she can still tear through steel or jump fifty feet, because artificial = magic, I guess. The cylons had similar issues on :bsg:.

You can't tell human from cylon with any medical test, also their spines glow.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah, the original depiction of S31 is absolutely that hard choices by hard men enacted unilaterally are required for the good of the people. It's fash poo poo that has no place in Trek.

That's not true at all. They are literally the villain and shown to be wrong.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

The point is that if Sloan is telling the truth (which I'll concede there was room to suggest that he wasn't before later entries went all in) then the implication is that the Federation hasn't survived this long without their mechinations. It robs the Federation of its accomplishments if there's always been a secret organisation pre-chewing the tougher meat for them.

What does he say Section 31 actually accomplished in their first episode?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Saw the episode with the Dyson Sphere the other day. Could of had the Romulans move into that after their star exploded and found out the advanced civilization there was wiped out by their own synthetic lifeforms and originated the plot from there.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Gonz posted:

Disco season 3 taking place 900 years in the goddamn future where they aren't bound by canon is the best decision for that show.

No more need to tip-toe around show bibles anymore. Just go crazy with new paradigms and alliances and antagonists.

Do you think the Show Bible is what made the writing bad?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

No! Shut up! Trek must adhere to a rigid formula or it is objectively worse than the holocaust.

Nobody really think this and your obsession with bringing it up constantly is sadder then the strawman you keep imagining.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Alchenar posted:

There's a few stories/writers that go into the knowledge that immortality doesn't mean you won't die, it just means that your death will inevitably be violent in some way. You are denied the 'deathbed surrounded by family' experience and you have to live life knowing it.

Do most people really get that experience though?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Martytoof posted:

You know, for as advanced a ship as Voyager is supposed to be, every other episode has someone overriding the transporter controls.

You’d think after the ... eighth or ninth time this happened they’d find a way to lock those down a little.

*Enemy ship fires a single shot* our transporters have been knocked out!

Every single late season Voyager episode.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Peachfart posted:

Also, that they don't bother to develop any characters except Michael. Who is still pretty badly developed.

Stares at you quietly crying

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The Bloop posted:

I wish Disco wasn't apparently doing the Save The Whole Federation thing again but I'm none the less hopeful for some reason

The animated stuff seems fine from what we've seen

Yeah the whole "everyone forgot what the federation is we need to remind them" from the war crimes crew does not leave me optimistic for this season.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

HD DAD posted:

I want the final episode of Disco season 3 to just be Riker and Troi inexplicably watching the founding of the Nu-Federation on the holodeck.

Maybe the entire thing would of been immersive holodeck therapy for Burnham's "I'm the most important person in the universe" complex

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I at least have a way better idea of who these characters are then after a like entire season of Discovery.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Cynic Jester posted:

Overall BitTorrent usage and tracker statistics supports it, along with the decline of almost every other file sharing method.

Most people use usenet then share it to their friends with Plex, its all automated and easier then ever.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Yeah Jeri Ryan and Patrick Stuart together could 100% work just the way they did it felt disjointed.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Pastamania posted:

Thing is, it being an explicitly Trek show I think also drags it down a little bit. Trek aside, it's a watered down Rick and Morty - which is not a criticism, R&M often takes things way too far and ends up being a self indulgent mess, while Lower Decks has managed to keep the tone just about right. But the constant cramming in of Trek references and the fact that the characters make no sense in that universe keeps drawing attention to itself and is distracting in an otherwise dumb but fun little show. I wish the universe was some bootleg trek knockoff instead so they could focus on the actual stories more.

Still the best ST branded thing in decades, not that that's particularly high praise.

Which characters make no sense in the universe? Also I 100% believe people would refer to the Ent-D crew nonstop I mean they are basically the rockstars of the Federation.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Super Deuce posted:

Isn’t it funny that we as fans think it’s funny that Worf gets denied often. It sure would be great if the universe acknowledged us as TV viewers.

It’s really frustrating this is what TV has become. Self references to “reward” fans of their “knowledge” of something. Film and TV is an artistic medium but instead we’re shovel fed this faux gratification bullshit to make fans think they’re part of it. Imagine if Frasier made a joke about Niles and Daphne being a Sam and Diane. Hahahah get it, because we use that as a term for potential TV couplings, wouldn’t it be funny if Frasier did it! Hey Chachi be careful not to jump that shark *wink*.

Hey guys this is like a Q when something blah blah blah, despite in universe very few are meant to know of Q, but because we the viewer know of it, they have to reference it for jokes. It’s honestly the laziest garbage style of writing that I can’t believe people seem to enjoy. Haha they cum in the holodeck!!!!! These are only jokes at best when talking about the show, not in the drat show.

They could write actual jokes that aren’t just telling us out of universe observations of itself, but instead this. This show is honestly a Reddit thread in cartoon form.

Why are very few meant to know of Q? It's a godlike being known to gently caress with Federation ships including the flagship multiple times. It would be insane if every single Starfleet person did not know of Q.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Super Deuce posted:

Because it’s what the universe has established.

Where/When was this ever mentioned?