Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I'm still enjoying the existence of all the modern Trek. Lower Decks is good so far. Really looking forward to the next season of Discovery. And Picard, while it missed the mark in many ways, still had some really good moments that I'm glad I watched for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

ashpanash posted:

Take your hate and direct it here instead of at Lower Decks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70dm3WzNuss

Trailers can be deceiving...but it looks like the worst thing I'll watch every episode of this year.

This looks great to me. I'm really excited.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

The_Doctor posted:

I have a suspicion that Disco and Michael didn't all emerge at the same spot temporally. I'm imagining months apart.

For some reason I thought this was something we knew already. From a preview or interview or something?

But for the life of me I can't find it now, so maybe I imagined it.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

esperterra posted:

ATTN STAR TRACK GOONS

If you would like to quote this post!

If you already have three gang tags, tell me which one you'd like to lose. If you don't want to lose any proceed w/ your own caution. The limit of gang tags is nebulous and you may get them axed by another mod or admin if they find your av/tag/text combo too excessive.

If you want your current tags rearranged or your text changed, I can do that as well.

I apologize ahead of time for the spam this might cause. It's just easier for me to organize and make sure I don't miss anybody! Feel free to quote me in your regular-rear end discussion posts if you were already going to say smth so we can keep this at least kind of neat.

thx in advance

In!

-----

Also, this was the best episode of Lower Decks yet, and I already liked it. This show is great.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

piratepilates posted:

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, but I think the picard and disco opening credits are rear end. Can't stand them.

Lower Decks has an alright one, I miss the TNG/DS9/VOY style.

The Disco opening credits are among my favorite.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I loved this episode. This is going to be a great season.

Payndz posted:

The premise of Disco S3 irks me because it's saying "everything your heroes worked to build and protect in the previous shows? All for nothing, suckers!" (I haven't seen Picard yet, but I gather it's definitely stepping along that path with the Federation being Trumpified.)

Still, at least by being set centuries past anything else it's not like the Star Wars sequels, where your heroes were actually still around to see the full extent of their failures before being killed off.

Naw. As noted here:

Senor Tron posted:

The fact that the Federation still apparently exists in a reduced form, Starfleet ships are still flying around and people know what it's all about suggest that the Federation was stunningly successful for a long time.

It is amazing how successful they were. They were so successful that someone inherited the tradition from their family to keep the lights on, so to speak, even though they weren't officially working for the Federation.

Like seriously, the amount of hope and optimism on display in the final minutes of this episode were so uplifiting. So sweet. Assuming that sets the stage for what this season is striving for, this is going to be a great season.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Crusader posted:

Unless maybe these are distant sensor outposts that had signals relayed around and both the outposts and the relays all failed and they can't get to them anymore? :thunk:

Yeah, I was assuming it was an infrastructure problem. Like the accident causes an initial large number of staff/machinery to go down. The remaining people/infrastructure were too thinly spread out across vast reaches of space and so bit by bit various linkages failed.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Cojawfee posted:

Book mentioned that the wormhole damaged subspace for two light-years or something.

Actually he said it was the Gorn. The Gorn ruined 2 light years of subspace.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

The Golden Gael posted:

Why didn't he get one of them to unfurl the flag or give him a field commission

Martytoof posted:

I just finished watching the episode and literally came in here to ask that :lol:

Burnham literally gives him a commission. And then they do the flag. Did you miss some of the episode?

"Mr. Sahil, you are as real a federation officer as any I have ever met. If you would do me the honor we need an acting communications chief who can keep searching for my ship. Will you accept the commission?"

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

That whole part was super moving for me, and if you folks who didn't like the episode didn't even see it, I guess that makes sense.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

mehall posted:

My dad sent me this and I thought you'd all appreciate it -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZtS87Do47A

Good luck getting that theme out of your head for the next couple days.

I love this.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

AlternateNu posted:

I don't really follow this specific thread, so I wanted to ask straight up: is Discovery worth it? (I'm the goon-typical? mold of DS9>TNG.)

This is me and I love Discovery.

There are less of me and more of the haters though, at least here. So it is hard to say if you would think it is worth it. It is one of those things you are going to have to try for yourself.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Lord Krangdar posted:

I read that he also wanted to have each season set in a different era. I guess it would make sense to have Michael stay the main character, but we'd see different points in her life with different supporting casts each time. Instead of how the end of season two needed a really huge contrivance to justify all of them jumping into a different era (although that decision has helped the show a lot, IMO).

A Star Trek Anthology style show like that would be pretty neat, but I imagine it would be super pricey given all the needed set changes every year.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Cojawfee posted:

Another loving galaxy wide disaster? gently caress that.

As one of the folks in here who actually love discovery, I'll just chime in with agreed here. There doesn't need to be a new galaxy spanning threat every season. Sheesh. There is plenty of great material they could be mining in just what they've set up in the future so far without having to do this again.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I dug the new episode but I do still wish Disco could slow down a bit more and not have every season be super large stakes. I've liked the show the whole way through, but as we get further along it gets more and more silly. If these were long seasons with more room for bottle episodes it would probably be fine and more DS9-like, but the lack of that just leaves so little room for characterization.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I think what makes "Galactic Threat #253“ more frustrating than usual is the big emphatic speech about "hey remember when the point of Starfleet was scientific exploration? Good times" right beforehand.

Yeah, they told me what I wanted to hear before not following through on it.

Khanstant posted:

I don't think anyone who jumped on season 3 or 4 would really get any sense that Burnham was ever raised in Vulcan society.

I'm pretty sure Burnham had a "this is only logical" moment when responding to the president this episode, so it is still there.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Der Kyhe posted:

I still maintain that the best thing the Disco after S3 can do, is make itself a time loop that never happened, or expose itself as an alternative timeline.

I mean come on, it still says that whatever happened in PIC or LDS or in the other shows will collapse. Even the future parts of ENT do not mean anything since Burn will collapse everything and anything done before is meaningless in the long run.

On a long enough timeline, this is true of anything really. So I'm not sure I've ever understood this sort of criticism. It doesn't diminish the past events.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Alchenar posted:

I'm not hopefully that it's going to be actually good, but I am hopeful that it'll be coherent and that there will be a string of feel-good nostalgia scenes that make it just about worthwhile.

Yup this. Looking forward to it for this even though I don't hope for much else.

Grand Fromage posted:

Same. I can watch De Lancie chew scenery all day. Wonder how much Q is in it.

I didn't hate Picard as much as everyone else seems to but it definitely was a case of some good scenes scattered around a mess that never came together. It wouldn't take much for season 2 to be better.

Yes, I love Q.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I think I’m one of the few posters here who’s genuinely enjoyed the show from the start (with occasional exceptions and caveats of course), but… I am really struggling to give a poo poo about this season. Say what you will about previous seasons, but the show has usually been consistently entertaining even when it was busy being dumb as poo poo.

This season so far just feels like a total overcorrection away from the action-oriented plots and instead into this deadly serious mess that just isn’t fun to watch at all. Even the little fun moments we have had, like the poker game for example, eventually all just stop dead so characters can stare longingly at each other and frown about the big terrible situation they’re in. They took this often batshit Enterprise-JJTrek hybrid show and injected it with a big beige dose of Voyager and it sucks.

I still like the show and this isn’t some “I’ll never watch another episode!” rant, but holy poo poo you could be doing so much more with the premise and setting that you just spent an entire season establishing.

Yeah, I'm one of the few who loved Discovery here. And they are really not making the most of what they have right now. I'm still enjoying it, but this could be so much better than it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Oyster posted:

I have read all 9 books of The Expanse and it has a very satisfying ending but I've been avoiding the show because it might tarnish the books and the opinions in here are telling me that was a good move. I understand why they wouldn't want to put books 7-9 on TV though, it gets a bit abstract.

It's fantastic. You should watch it.