Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Rocksicles posted:

Those links are geoblocked

Honestly, that could be the thread title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

^ pft, just wait

Eiba posted:

Unlike Discovery, its message will be unambiguous and wholly good-hearted without any need to descend quite so far into the grit in an incoherent attempt at edginess. Picard isn't edgy. The Federation in Picard will be in full evil-admiral mode, abandoning humanist ideals for "pragmatic" reasons, but Picard's personal idealism will shine through, without state/military backing.

I think that's where it's going to go, but to me some of the greatest part of the idealism of Star Trek is that we might somehow make it to wisdom as a civilisation working together. That acts of idealism and morality aren't necessarily limited to heroes and individuals and small-scale stories, but something that we could collectively achieve together. Cast off the cynical idea that society must be a crushing, corrupted amoral machine dragging all of us down which must be defied if we want to do right, and instead present the idea that together we could build a civilisation to be proud of, one that could face times of darkness and struggle through while keeping ahold of its values and fight off the parts of itself that want to compromise them.

The idea that idealism isn't something that can survive except on small scales as individual acts, that the collective whole will end up falling to selfishness, is itself something I'd consider pretty sad and grim.

Just addressing what you said there - obviously at this point we have no idea how Picard itself or the future history between the 24th and 31st century on Discovery will play out.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 21, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The only thing that was said about Spock being first is that his mother described him as the first of "his kind" in Starfleet, I believe. Easy enough to say he was the first human/Vulcan, especially given that Immunity Syndrome established entire ships full of Vulcans in Starfleet during TOS.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

marktheando posted:

Ah I was wondering what the actual source of that was, I couldn't remember and memory alpha was failing me.

I might even have misremembered that, actually. It's possible not even that was ever said. I'm not sure. But I do recall it was never definitively said he was first, that was just a piece of fanon that got around.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eiba posted:

I think depicting a state/military as benevolent trustworthy perpetually good thing is actually the bad thing to depict. There is never going to be a perfect society where the issues are solved and we can all relax.

I think things can get better, and state power can be motivated by ideals a lot more benevolent than the ones that currently motivate them. And I do think Star Trek depicts that, and will continue to depict that (with the possible exception of Discovery season 3).

But there will always be failings. In this case, the Federation may be internally ideal, but it still exists in an imperfect galaxy and has to deal with international situations where people with wildly different ideals have to be respected, and the Federation has to compromise, and maybe it won't compromise well. That's a problem even a utopia could have. And the idea that people need to be vigilant and push back when things go wrong, even in a utopia, is a valuable and positive message.

Ideally it would be a popular movement that corrects the Federation's lapse, but an idealistic individual we all know and love can represent that to make the story more coherent. The message is understood. We should all be like Picard.

Oh never trust it. Always be on guard against its worst inclinations and against individuals and bad actors trying to drag it down. That's not contradictory to what I said - in fact, I'd consider it necessary. But I think that you can depict an idealistic Federation whilst making sure to show that it's something you have to work for, but not having to fall into the depressing idea of it almost inevitably turning bad and inward-focused and compromised as part of your setting.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 22, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Michelle Yeoh clones everywhere.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

We only saw prime Georgou for a single episode and I feel cheated for not having had more of her, she was fantastic as a proper captain instead of a cliche evil-ish.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Binary Logic posted:

Holy Bajoran moley - 5 pages, Picard hasn't even aired yet and the previous thread's Disco whines are being restated reposted and regurgitated at warp 11.

Maybe the broad consensus indicates they're valid points of complaint rather than whining, then.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Croatoan posted:

I hope Gates McFadden shows up. He's the best twitter follow. She's become a super sweet grandma. Just a month ago she had surgery for a seperated collar bone and posted while high AF on painkillers and it was just the absolute best.

Genuinely they should have her in as the captain of the medical ship she was captain of in All Good Things. Because a) it would be a neat callback and b) Crusher should be Captain Crusher.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

<Picard's dinky little freighter or whatever is about to be blown up>

Sir, there's another ship coming in! It's... the Pasteur!

<Crusher's hospital ship swoops dramatically across the screen to the main theme and blasts the bad guys away>

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drone posted:

John de Lancie as an old-rear end version of Q is gonna be an interesting shoehorn.

Nah

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drone posted:

Couldn't tell you a drat thing about the Discovery theme, and I've seen every episode.

Fakeedit: like, can't even hum a single measure of any kind of musical leitmotif in that series whatsoever, besides when they tossed out the Enterprise motif a few times whenever it was on-screen.

Yeah, my biggest issue with the Disco theme, or the music that plays over the opening, anyway, is that it fails the whistle test. You can't whistle or hum it. There's no melody.

HD DAD posted:

75% of things wrong with Disco can be usually traced back to some high-as-gently caress decision made by Bryan Fuller, and the last two seasons have been desperately struggling to dig themselves out his influence.

I think they would've been fine if Fuller had been around to actually do them, but the problem is that they got dumped on producers who had absolutely different vision to him but no time to change things so it just ended up clashing and weird and trying to change stuff after it's been established to fit the new vision.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fuller's Disco would probably have been more TOS-compliant than the Disco we got. Fuller was very much a TOS fanboy, which is why the show was set when it was, but the people who took over clearly didn't care about fitting into TOS that much.

Hell, look at the detailing on his Discovery compared to the one we got. Still different, but something you could see being related to TMP design styles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WK86TRPSs8

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 22, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

The ship grew on me. But who's got that gif where someone TOS'd it up a bit? That was much better.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coXCH1oudT0

Honestly, putting the TOS-ificiation aside (which obviously wouldn't fly as-is today), the secondary hull being a V shape is just much better in terms of overall balance of the thing.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 22, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

Maybe? I thought they left the pizza cutter saucer section, but that's probably it.

Eh, probably a different one, there's a billion of them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Honestly, it could be great if they gave him once of the side Trek series he could delay all over now they've decided 'gently caress it let's just make half a dozen'

gently caress since he's the TOS fanboy let him make Star Trek Pike

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Guys this feels weird it was star trek and it was good and I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to next week

I don't know how to process this feeling

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They had some deep cuts on the background details. Picard is using his favourite TNG tea set.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 23, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBF_7bMlqNk

So you've got a shot of a borg cube, zoom inwards, we see a geometric nanoparticle, it self-replicates, hundreds combine to create an artificial DNA-like strand, many of those strands combine to form a ring and then build outwards to create an initially organic looking iris, and then the eye changes from organic to mechanical. It's not subtle.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Did they add a bunch of ribbing to the neck?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cross-Section posted:

Not sure how I feel about the writing making a big deal about how Dahj is a wonderful, unique being shortly before dousing her in acid, blowing her up, and to add insult to injury, revealing that, thankfully, there's a spare so the plot can continue. Don't get me wrong, I'm intrigued by the twist and still wanna see where the show goes with it, but lol poor Dahj

With her body vanishing I'd put good odds on her coming back - yeah her flesh was burned off but they made it sound like the only thing that's really difficult is the neural net, if that survived they can replace the rest.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Thom12255 posted:

If data can survive the warpcore plamsa melting off his flesh, she'll be fine.

Although to be fair, she's apparently a positronic net inside an artificial biological body, not a full on robot like Data.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It was Orci with the Star Trek 3 script that had Vulcan terrorists trying to time travel, right?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Aeroshuttle looked cooler than the Delta Flyer and if they really wanted cool interiors they could've just made new sets instead of using the runabout one.

Retrowave Joe posted:

So did Voyager, which blew my mind when I saw the article where they showed the design sketches for it.

The one on the Enterprise-D and E was meant to be like a special diplomatic shuttle with its own dock. The one on Voyager was like a super-runabout shuttle for if they needed something heftier than a regular shuttle. (The D had runabouts in its main shuttlebay instead but Voyager wasn't big enough for that)

They were going to use the D's captain's yacht once but realised it would cost money so they used a 'diplomatic shuttle' instead.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 24, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Also they did test footage for the aeroshuttle but it was canned because it was too similar to Insurrection using the captain's yacht. (The design you see here wasn't quite final, the FX guy says they would've made the wings a little less blunt if they'd kept going)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhZ6D-PLssQ

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

I know it's coming eventually and I cannot loving wait for the rerun of the First Contact "There's another starship incoming... It's the Enterprise!" moment, only we get to see it from the opposite perspective this time and see what they decide to do with the Enterprise-F.

Captain Kim! (no relation)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

The hologram index lady said this painting was one of two instances, the other being in Picard's house.

So clearly it must be a physical storage of some kind.

Yeah I assumed when it appeared it was just being beamed out of the storage units. The quantum in the quantum archive seemed to refer to the stasis the items are held in whilst in storage.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I hope when we see Starfleet ships they don't look like the turds Discovery put out.

In Children of Mars all the ships being built at Utopia Planitia were straight up Discovery ships.

Also the computers were all Discovery UI. Whoever made that mini really didn't give a poo poo.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I kinda hope they steal the classic bird of prey and use it as their ship.

Couldn't see but it better have an ostentatious bird painted on the bottom.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Unfortunately Alex Kurtzman is a disciple of the increasingly reviled JJ Abrams Mystery Box style of storytelling that was perfected on Lost. And it takes a while, if ever, to unlearn that kind of storytelling.

Kurtzman is exec but not lead in Picard, don't forget, Chabon was showrunner.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

"Let's just concentrate all of the shipbuilding capacity for our galactic empire in a single, convenient location."

Eh, it's the biggest fleet yard but not the only one. Defiant and Prometheus both came from Antares Fleetyards, and Excelsior and Enterprise-E and the Connies and a bunch of others came from San Francisco Yards.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 24, 2020

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

MichiganCubbie posted:

They've never decanonized anything that was on screen, even though they joked about Threshold.

Well, TAS.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You know, TAS looks too primitive to show as part of modern TV cycles, but there's good acting and fun stories there; they should reanimate it to today's standards and they could slot it into modern programming repeats nicely.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Low compared to colonies but Mars isn't M-class.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

zoux posted:

Why terraform mars when you can go squat on a nice planet in the neutral zone

Well Mars ain't easy to terraform. Gravity would be losing a dense atmosphere continuously and you'd need to build and power an artificial planetary magnetosphere to keep the solar radiation levels below dangerous, since the natural one froze a while ago and it's unprotected.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

True, true.

Maybe the Red Mars faction put a stop to all the environmental damage of terraforming.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Did they need breathers in Enterprise?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They said they saved 900 million, they might not have gotten all of them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Baudolino posted:

I hope they find a way to include Cardassians in some way in season 2. There is no reason not to, a very iconic TNG episode includes them after all.
Would be nice to see what became of Cardassia. I can`t imagine the federation wanted to spend too much resoursces building them back up after the Domination war what with the Romulan crisis and the Mars incident happening soon after.

12 years between Cardassia falling and Romulus going boom, probably enough to prop them back up before poo poo hit the fan.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder what the disposition of the Klingon empire is in Picard. At this point they're the only major local non-Federation polity left that hasn't' been recently decimated and they were on the cusp of major changes and reforms at the end of DS9.

Gaz-L posted:

I think it's also fair to call out the journo about Dunkirk simply because she notes Picard wrote history books after he retired, so presumably at least one of them was about WW2.

I hope a bunch of those books were about Kataan (The Inner Light), it'd be a really good reference if they mention he spent ages writing and educating about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

marktheando posted:

Why do you think Kirk was joking about them being the same pair? There is zero evidence against it. One pair of specs or two, both are both equally impossible. Because you can't have an effect before a cause.

Effect before cause is easy in given time travel has been introduced; the glasses being the same pair requires them to be entropy-proof glasses that haven't disintegrated after literally existing for infinite time.