Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Wow, I had no idea Michael Chabon was involved in this, but seeing he wrote the Calypso short makes a ton of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I would like the Mist-er Pick-ard! lady from Time's Arrow to make a cameo.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Nerdist says it's going to be midnight (PST :rolleye: )

https://twitter.com/nerdist/status/1220040907778490369?s=20

I mean, FWIW.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Ferengis should have had war whips throughout all the treks. :colbert:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, the Voyager-J had a very Hero Ship look and feel to it. It's already got people speculating that we're either going to see it in action alongside Discovery before the end of the season, or that whatever leads to the abandonment of Discovery in Calypso happens this year and the Voy-J is going to become the new Discovery for the rest of the show.

Star Trek Discovery S3E07:

Fleet Admiral Burnham: "Holographic Admirial Janeway?!"

Holographic Admiral Janeway: "In the flesh! Well, so to speak. Now, a word to the wise about the Borg queen..."

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

The main thing that made it feel like Star Wars was the background music. First, there was just soooo much of it, like way more music than I'm used to hearing from TV Trek. In some places it was very reminiscent of Star Wars, around the 11 minute mark when Dal first speaks with Zero, for a second I thought I was hearing the Tatooine soundtrack from Episode IV.

Thank you, it was entirely this that was throwing me off!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

MikeJF posted:

It's cool but it's also something that 24th century tech could easily do, most uses for programmable matter aren't anything more than you can do with solid holograms except it's a bit slower and now it's silvery. At least they're exploring ideas like that now. (But the ability to summon solid shapes on command could do so much more for UI)

between programmable matter and holograms, which is less likely to turn evil and menace me, because I feel like that would inform my design decisions a lot

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
SNW should have won an Emmy for hair design. Maybe it did. It should win another one. It’s not just Pike’s peak, everything dealing with hair was done fantastically well throughout the series.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Cojawfee posted:

I never had an issue with Jellico. The things he wanted all seemed pretty reasonable and I never understood why everyone fought against him so hard. It was just different.

I think he's the one who finally made Troi put on a uniform instead of being the sultry therapist that sits on the bridge of the flagship of the Federation for some reason, which was good.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Protostar is just a terrible name for a federation ship.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

HD DAD posted:

How are you people forgetting Oh and her sunglasses.

I was doing a fiscal year end report for a charity I work for and wanted a nice little quote at the end, as is the style of the place. So I went with “If you are more fortunate than others, build a longer table, not a longer fence.” Nice, right? Catchy and kind of universally bland in that nice charity way. But to whom is it attributed? Turns out it’s the sunglass Vulcan actress.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Oof, Terry should really take a break from twitter at this point if he’s gonna start getting into arguments with professional reviewers and TrekMovie of all people.

https://twitter.com/sopandeb/status/1631339644917886976?s=46&t=qlalCvpbJxtZ0RCrjTH3JQ

I don’t really disagree with some of his points, but it’s pretty funny seeing Matalas get into these slapfights.

https://twitter.com/TerryMatalas/status/1632122118522683393?s=20

He’s doing a speed run here

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
“Doctor McCoy, it is completely illogical for you to continue to act so tsundere, baka.”

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Well I guess it’s good we’re not getting a musical episode

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

HD DAD posted:

Episode 5: “Alright back to the LA parking lot”

If Shakespeare can have the gravitas of The Tempest entirely on Prospero’s island, sure Matalas can do the same with an LA parking lo… oh poo poo guys it’s 4:45 we need to wrap up before the rush hour exodus

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Wesley is having the time of his life working as a sweater model in Tau Alpha C, he doesn’t need some mad gurning lady with a shape shifting hand up in his business

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
You just pop into the local psychic painter’s studio and feed them the residual psychic gunk from your brain via telepathy (it’s not hard guys!)

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

TerminalRaptor posted:

I keep going over in my head how easy they could have had Q retcon Picard's robo bod.

“Now now, mon capitane, act your age!”

*Picard crumbles into dust*

“Next season on Star Trek Picard: Oops, all Raffi scenes!”

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
We haven’t had a show in the Beta quadrant. See what the Breen are up to these days. Maybe new helmets.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I'm sure they actually did kidnap Deanna, because that's the easiest to write

We’re gonna need a cardboard box, a stick, some twine, and a bowl of double chocolate ice cream.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
They should have had Saloon Madam Data in there for good measure.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
“Excellent use of the word burgle, sir” could straight up be Smithers talking to Mr. Burns.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

TerminalRaptor posted:

So there's only 9? Wasn't the implication that they were all over Star Fleet and had compromised it to the core?

I get that writing is hard, but this fails basic story telling.

Star fleet has been compromised by -one- changeling who is very fast and has replaced a bunch of people, like the dinner scene in Mrs. Doubtfire

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The big bad is the nudist fitness hippies who are still mad about Wesley breaking their plant laws

But they can’t get Wesley so they’ll get Jack. Picard is just a red herring.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
It’s exocomps. They’re back for revenge.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The mention of kal-toh is the real clue for the big bad of the season: alternate dimension Naomi Wildman and her henchman evil Harry Kim. They lived! And they’re pissed about being excluded from the kadis-kot tournament on Rigel 7.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Powered Descent posted:

The big bad is Lwaxana Troi. This whole thing was just an excuse to kidnap Deanna and spend a little quality time, since she doesn't call her mother enough.

Side note: I am reading Q in Law as someone in the thread suggested and some aliens turn up and make fun of Wesley for being a virgin. Then a slave girl shows up naked in his quarters and an ensign makes fun of Wesley for not sleeping with her. It’s presumed Chief O’Brien gave her access to his quarters, as a joke. Not sure how the Q/Lwaxana relationship goes, it’s not exactly a pageturner.

Does Wesley finally have sex? I will find out.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

TulliusCicero posted:

It's that hot wierd lady who impersonated Satan to a planet and wanted to make Picard her love slave

Audra I think? It's her

Ardra. I loved the trope of “evil beautiful sorceress in a sequin gown for no good reason” that existed in the eighties. She and the evil lady from the Never Ending Story 2 are prime examples.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Maybe the transporter is able to demeat the meatlings and it all gets very messy

Anyway the big bad is the Ionians and that’s why no one trusts teleportation.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Timby posted:

I am triple-sworn to secrecy but ... you will.

It’s Wesley.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Timby posted:

and some really, really good restaurants.

And would you say these restaurants serve Cajun and or Creole food? 🤨🤔

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Rent's due, Captain

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Klingon Opera Chef, just because.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Flotter became sentient and is out for revenge on his creator for creating him

Why did he make Flotter feel pain!?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

TulliusCicero posted:

Laas WAS the Shrike, he's just that good

Wait a minute… Nebula… NebuLaas!

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
RIP Vadic’s changeling hand, I am excited to never learn what the hell was going on with that

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

SuperTeeJay posted:

I’m left with two questions about the red door: who cares what’s behind it and why open it?

It’s the other side of the big unexplained space thing the NuBorg had the entire federation combine their shields to counteract. That’s why the ships all have to come together for Frontier Day, everyone’s favourite holiday.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The other DS9 cameo is Melora

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I thought I had it all figured out! I asked ChatGPT to help find me a reference based on an upcoming episode title. I had it! Except ChatGPT made up information about a Star Trek novel and created a whole backstory for a race of non existent villains Picard antagonized while on the Stargazer. Just did a whole cloth fabrication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The vine stuff is red. Borg stuff is green. Can’t be the Borg.