Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

This episode started with some super clunky exposition about the Romulans super double secret police that is the kind of story telling I kind of hate. But I think it picked up with the Borg cube stuff. So they're removing the fixtures from dead Borg, but they still stay dead? I mean, nice to be respectful and all, but why? To further study the Borg? I definitely want to learn more about what's going on there.

And yeah, Alison Pill is great.

So sexy Romulan spy is trying to get close to her to learn more about where other androids may be? Don't they know they're un-activated, based on what happened when they attacked the last one? Why do they think she knows anything?

I like the idea that Maddox kept researching androids and just completely hosed it up. No where near as advanced, and I'm guessing hackable? By these Romulan spies?

Still finding it's footing, but it has me hooked to see what happens next.

Nitrousoxide posted:

No, not really. Federation space has always been substantially bigger than any of the other Alpha/Beta quadrant players from TNG onwards. Note the blue to the far east separated by the Klingons is also part of the Federation.

As a primarily Star Wars fan where this poo poo is not thought out to anywhere NEAR this degree, I find maps like this fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Pinterest Mom posted:

Star Trek nerds love stuff like this, but what's onscreen doesn't actually support or care about star maps or other peripheral content. You'll have characters say things like "the cardassians are going through romulan space to stage surprise attacks on the federation" and people on screen will nod like that's a perfectly sensible thing and you just have to not care that it contradicts your Star Trek Encyclopedia.

Oh so it's exactly like Star Wars then. Cool.

Y'all have a jivjov around here who refuses to let canon go?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Echo Chamber posted:

Taking a really wild guess:
The Romulan species began as synthetic that's virtually indistinguishable from biology millennia ago. That's the closely guarded secret and reason they discourage research in robotics.

Heck, they can even do a repeat of the DISCO Kelpien storyline with how originally they were created by the Remans or ancient Vulcans or something crazy like that. I hope I'm not right.

Have we ever even seen an assimilated Romulan?

I could actually see that happening, and would explain THE SECRET and their hatred of synths.

I wouldn't really hate that. There are certainly dumber ways to go.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I was wondering about that replicator. Why would it be programmed to make lovely food? Can't it make...anything?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Handsome Wife posted:

It felt more out of place than the Klingon tits in Discovery.

The what now?

You know what, never mind.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

nine-gear crow posted:

Every time the Borg appeared from TNG to Voyager to even Enterprise there was always some new bullshit thing introduced about them to keep them from becoming static, so it's no surprise Picard is pulling more rabbits out of that hat too.

The Borg showed up on Enterprise? Did the crew forget to write anything about them down, or something?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I'm fine with a slow pace, but they are really starting to push it with me. They need to get to a point soon. I feel like most of the show has been Picard just standing still waiting to get going (both the character and the show).

I agree the "mom" is probably Maddox, and triggered some "go to sleep" protocol. What I don't get is why they were created in pairs, why she's stashed on the cube, why that one Romulan ex-Borg thinks she's the destroyer...alright, I guess there's a lot I don't get.

Romulans hate synthetic life forms, I guess? Has that ever come up before? Has a Romulan ever given Data the stink eye? Or is that new for the show?

New pilot could grow on me, but yeah, so far he's definitely a by-the-numbers character, as someone else put it.

I really hate how they have built in commercial breaks. I mean, you're clearly going to put this on broadcast TV at some point. But do you have to make it so obvious?

I did like name dropping the Q Continuum.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Thom12255 posted:

I do like the Rios pilot guy though and his EMH - I guess that clears up that those kind of hologram programs aren't banned.

That's a fair point. How is that not also considered synthetic life?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

just another posted:

VOICE OVER
Next time on... Star Trek: Picard.

INT. LA SIRENA - BRIDGE

PICARD
We'll need an Engineer. Fortunately,
the House of Gurok produces the finest
in the quadrant, and they owe me a favor.

RAFFI
Gurok will never risk his seat on the High
Council to help you after what you did!

Chris looks unimpressed and surly.

CUT TO:

INT. KLINGON HOUSEHOLD

GUROK
You have a lot of nerve showing your face
here again, Picard. I should kill you where
you stand!

PICARD
Not likely, Gurok. You are a pacifist.
Your House foreswore violence at Kahless'
deathbed.

Gurok guffaws and claps him on the back.

CUT TO:

INT. ROMULAN RECLAMATION SITE - NAREK'S BEDROOM

RIZZO
If you lie to me again, Narek, I will suck
your tongue from your mouth.

FADE OUT

Wow this...seems extremely on point.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Enterprise was certainly better than its reputation, but it wasn't particularly good for the most part. That said, aside from the 9/11 Git'er Done arc (which was more egregiously anti-Trek than anything we've seen since) and the reverse-pregnancy I'm not sure it ever hit the lows of early TNG or S1 DS9.

The cynical and pathetic exploitation of Jolene Blalock does deserve pointing out as a blot on the franchise though. Partially redeemed by letting her actually be an actor in the later seasons.

Can't the same be said about Jeri Ryan? Or was there a practical reason for that ridiculous skin tight cat suit they put her in?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

AntherUslessPoster posted:

In the end of the ep5 trailer there's someone falling on the floor around the moment they namedrop 'Maddox'.
A clue? No credits for Maddox role for ep5 on imdb.

I mean, IMDb often relies on user submissions for it's data info, so he probably wouldn't be listed until he's confirmed in it when people see the episode.

HD DAD posted:

I recently read somewhere that a fan asked Brian Brophy if he was reprising Maddox, and apparently that was the first he’d heard he was coming back. :(

Oh. Well that's a little more concrete, though he could have been told to keep it under wraps.

MichiganCubbie posted:

Not a broadly correct opinion about the entire show, but people who think that Zhaban and Laris aren't the best characters in the show and deserve way more screentime are absolutely wrong.

I mostly agree, but the scene where they're in that apartment and Laris recreates the data with whatever techno mumbo jumbo that just kept going really pissed me off and made me lose some interest in her character. Not really her fault, the whole scene was dumb as hell.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

kidkissinger posted:

they deleted the entries from the file table but not the data itself. data recovery people deal with this every day.

But why didn't the double super secret Romulan CIA also delete the data itself?

I'll admit, I kind of glazed over for the explanation, because it was just her talking to herself while swiping at the see through screen, and I was like, "I get it, you'll find the data, move on please", so this is probably more on me than the show.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

zoux posted:

There’s a documentary about “that guy” where they interview a bunch of those ubiquitous character actors and there’s a section about the obligatory Trek role they all had

E: It’s called “that guy who was in that thing”

This is a fantastic documentary, btw. Everyone should watch it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

How would the assumed secret reveal work, anyway? How would synths become the Borg? The Borg aren't synthetic people, they're biological beings with cybernetic implants. Which is really loving different. Like, would it be synths who decided all of humanity needed "upgrading", and by now all the old synths have died out and only bio Borg remain? That...doesn't really seem like a logical series of events, and certainly shouldn't be seen as the "natural end result of synths".

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Snow Cone Capone posted:

One of the main points about Dahj and Soji is that they're organic synths - they have android brains and levels of cognition (and as we've seen, android levels of strength and reflexes) in bodies that could pass a medical scan. It wouldn't be a massive stretch (the idea has been done a bunch of times before) that, as androids who have evolved from regular robots to organics with synthetic brains, their next logical step of 'evolution' would be a collective consciousness, and from there you could make the jump to the next step being absorbing all other consciousness into 1 galaxy-spanning entity. It's actually not too different from some depictions of regular humanity's far-future evolutionary path.

The cybernetic implants would be the proto-Borg adding on bits that aren't necessarily as good as any organic version they find/assimilation. Their intro in both Voyager and First Contact includes "We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own"

Fair enough, I forgot about Dahj and Sojji being organic synths.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Snow Cone Capone posted:

also lol that Dr. Maddox mentioned he had been working with Soong recently, Spiner appearance #2 confirmed. Wonder how they'll retcon that!

I took that more to mean he was building upon the works of Soong, not personally working with him. Standing on the shoulders of giants and what not. Isn't Soong long dead at this point?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

So the destruction of Romulus, did it take most of Romulan territory as well? Like, sure, losing your home planet would suck, but they had a vast Empire. Presumably there were more planets in there? That they colonized?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Finally a good episode, though yeah, there were some off bits.

So is the EMH just not gonna share that Alison Pill straight up murdered Maddox in front of him? You'd think he'd bring it up.

The magic teleporter at the end was a bit disappointing, and I also don't get why Legolas didn't go with him. He didn't need to stay behind to cover their escape, Picard was loving gone.

But yeah, mostly good stuff. Hugh and Picard were fantastic together, and I loved going over the reclamation stuff.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dietrich posted:

yeah so confusing that the ai/computer scientist from the federations best ai/computer research lab didn't get told on by the ai/computer

...alright, yeah, that's a good point.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Snow Cone Capone posted:

lmao I didn't even think of that, that's pretty absurd

Also if I had a instant handheld scanner that could tell me the age of things, I would probably scan myself at some point?

I kept waiting for her to do exactly that. Like, that was gonna be the reveal.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Next week:

(Not actually a spoiler.)
Soji: "Why are you helping me?"
Picard: "Because you may be the daughter of a friend of mine. Well, not ACTUALLY his daughter...and no, he didn't build you, this other guy Maddox who I met a couple times did...you never actually met my friend, he died years before you were created...hang on, why am I doing this again? Oh right, because I kinda got your sister killed."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

piratepilates posted:

That's what's so odd about it, in the premise of the world of star trek she is playacting as an addict. Her life is a holodeck scenario of a 21st century person in need who is let down by the system. She can take that free Hypospray and be done with it, but instead she is choosing to be selfish and self-destruct. It's not that she can't get better or doesn't know how -- she doesn't want to, even when detrimental to the lives of those around her.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

As a recovering addict, I can tell you with certainty that this is basically textbook addict behavior.

Yeah, I was about to say, "You just described addiction."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I am having a hard time keeping all of the names straight. Especially with all the Romulan names/organizations sounding so similar and nonsensical.

Though I'll never forget the name Vajazzle. That is just too drat silly to forget. Probably not the best name for the big bad of the week who tortures people for their Borg parts, but whatever.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I genuinely enjoyed that episode. My complaints are so minor they're not worth mentioning. Good on you, show, you're starting to win me over.

Frakes and Sirtis both killed it. The look on Troi's face when she's reading Picard and finds out he's sick was played real well. I liked Riker calling her Imzadi. And the girl playing their daughter was great. I'd say I hope she comes back, but I'm assuming that's the last we see of that family.

I don't have a problem with them having a dead son. Life goes on after the show ends, people have triumphs and tragedies, and it's an interesting way to flesh out their back story that isn't just, "Oh we've been just fine since you last saw us! Nothing but happy times!" It felt real, to me.

Probably my favorite episode yet.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

TheCenturion posted:

Also, Will: You've black hair. Your wife has black hair. Your daughter has bright blonde hair. You need to ask some questions, mate.

Blonde hair is a recessive gene, and black hair is a dominant gene. They could both have a blonde hair gene they passed onto their daughter while not having it themselves. It's relatively uncommon, but still happens.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

The Bloop posted:

It just occurred to me that the trajector being in the Queen Cell or whatever is meant to imply something about the queen(s) traveling from cube to cube which ..... :mad:

I thought they were saying it was essentially used as an escape pod for the queen in case of emergencies.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Senor Tron posted:

That was so loving great.

Seven getting in and out quickly was actually ok, because you could tell that at the moment she plugged in she was totally accepting it might be full on Borg time again but that was better than letting them all die.

I know people.have talked about the Q showing up, but I really really hope that's what the warning is about. Even retroactively explains why Q was so interested in the Enterprise and Voyager. With Data and the Doctor they were are the forefront of artificial lifeforms, and Q was amongst other things scoping out if the Federation was worthy of essentially becoming Gods.

Oh I hadn't thought about the ancient civilization being wiped out by the Q. Maybe they failed their trial.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Okay, so what the hell happened to the synths that the precursor civilization made? Did they just go "welp, we destroyed our creators, let's go find a different galaxy or something," or transcend to a different plane of existence and decide not to gently caress with the other races? I feel like there should be some remnants of them, especially since the way they talked about things was this is stuff that happened relatively recently on a cosmic scale. Thousands of centuries isn't all that long, especially for everything created by a civilization capable of moving stars around to be effectively annihilated.

Also, unrelated (probably) but I wonder if Q is going to show up in this series. I would expect it since he loved Picard.

The way I took it was the synths aren't what killed the ancient civilization, but that once synths reached a tipping point, became too advanced, some external threat came in and wiped out everything. Like in Mass Effect.

Correct me if I misheard, though.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

This is going back to like the second episode or something, but was it ever explained why Alison Pill's character knew Dahj would have a twin sister? Like, she says something about how they're created in twos, but is that just something Maddox liked doing? And how does that mesh with this episode showing there was a third synth that looks exactly like Dahj as well? Are a lot of the synths going to look like Dahj?

Seems like it was just a lazy plot point to get Picard on the hunt for the sister, but it doesn't really seem to make much sense to me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Lizard Combatant posted:

Crazy batshit theory time.

Seriously, this is some terrible secret of space poo poo, you may go mad...

Beautiful Flower is Lore or a Lore derived synth. Based on "lore" being Basque for "flower". That's it, I got nothing else. But if they pulled that Le Petit Soldat stunt with Commodore Cool...

Ha, oh man, if the season finale reveal is regular looking Brent Spiner walking on screen, I'll never stop laughing.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Keeping in mind that I've never watched Andromeda...what the gently caress is happening in this clip?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

thrawn527 posted:

Ha, oh man, if the season finale reveal is regular looking Brent Spiner walking on screen, I'll never stop laughing.

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Lots of correct thoughts.

I was going to write something up, but you summed up basically all of my thoughts exactly, so there's not much point.

All I'll say is that I was not liking most of the episode, but the Picard and Data scene really hit me in the emotional feels, so that was at least well done.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I fully admit I probably wasn't paying that much attention last week, but where did that magic repair tool plot device thingie come from?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I'd give it a 6. I'm glad I watched it, but it could have done so much better.

It's hard to compare to the other shows, because it's so much different (I haven't watched Discovery). Like, outside of some ideas like synth rights, it doesn't even hit any of the same themes, and the format is so much different. It would be like, which is the better show, Cheers or Breaking Bad? Like, uh...that really depends on what you're looking for. (And yes, I know it's not that extreme, but you get what I'm saying.)

Personally I'd put it ahead of Voyager and Enterprise, because I could just never get through those, and behind everything else (again, I haven't watched Discovery).

edit:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

6.5/10. It wasn’t awful by any means but it could have been so much better with that cast and that pedigree. It’s tough to rank it exactly among other first seasons since a) it’s much shorter and b) it mostly involved a single plot instead of 26 different ones, but I think it’s probably somewhere in the middle. Better than TNG S1 or Disco S1, but not as good as TOS S1 or DS9 S1. The real highlight was the cast but the plot was bland, and parts of it felt like they’d been rewritten moments before shooting. It’s a mess just like Disco S1, but it at least felt more coherent.

Oh, this is a good point. As far as Star Trek season ones, it's way better than TNG S1, I'll say that. I am shocked TNG survived it's first 2 seasons. I'm glad it did, don't get me wrong, but yikes.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Lister posted:

Calling it now that it will tie into season 2 somehow.

I, meanwhile, am calling that it will never come up again.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

TV, Streaming Services, and at-home delivery is all that's going to be left.

How are they going to film new TV shows if everyone is quarantined?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Powered Descent posted:

Have each actor paint one wall in their home bright green, and

You're right, that first Netflix season of Arrested Development really was the best.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It's what makes the werreting about Picard in this thread so myopic. No matter how much you may disdain Picard for subjective reasons, Voyager is always objectively worse. And that poo poo went on for seven long years.

In Voyager nothing has the moral strength of Picard's interview or his speech in the penultimate episode. Nothing has the emotion of Troi seeing Picard. Nothing has the imagination of the space flower defence system battle. Nothing has the charm of Rios' hologrammatic engineer having a deliberately terrible Scottish accent.

Voyager is nothing but beige carpets, beige writing, and Janeway making Jurati look like an emotionally stable moral paragon.

Yes, this. All of this.

mllaneza posted:

Voyager definitely never hit as high as Picard's last conversation with Data.

Also, this. God drat, this justified the bad parts of the season. Of which there were quite a few.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Alchenar posted:

Does one of the Star Trek V enterprise even exist?

Forgive me if I'm stepping into a hornet's nest here, but would it be that much different than this one?