Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Delthalaz posted:

I personally prefer this episode to the last one and was relieved it was slow and talky. I mean gently caress have you seen Star Trek The Next Generation? The only parts I didn’t like were the scenes with dumb romulan conspirators and borg ship sex.

I wasn't crazy about those scenes either. As more characters get introduced, we're going to start seeing less and less Picard. Since a lot of viewer hype was around the first episode and the first three episodes were given to critics to review, I have the feeling that these will be the heaviest with him before things start to shift more towards these new characters no one actually cares about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Binary Logic posted:

ps I like that on Rios''s uncrewed ship there are Emergency Hologram options, like we would choose a voice and language for Alexa.
But I hope there are also bridge options - give the old man a chair to sit in!

I hadn't thought much about the layout of the ship until looking at it now. There's a ton of empty space behind the bridge? Is it a cargo ship? If so, why wouldn't the cargo be in a walled off area instead of lining the walls behind the bridge? And I guess that's a stairwell directly behind the captain's chair? What the gently caress is going on?

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I just realized how funny it is that the Romulans have a prophecy coming true about an artificial life form annihilating everything when it already came true in the Discovery season 2 timelines where Control annihilated everything, yet their prophecy doesn't seem to have anything about that in there.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

ashpanash posted:

Prophecies are either wrong, very misleading, or only happen because people who believe in the prophecy make them happen.

I suspect they're writing towards option 2, but option 3 is the more interesting one.

Or they're correct because of time travel

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I think it was the worst episode so far but mostly because it had the least amount of Picard out of the five.

And yeah, it does seem like it's going to be that synths eventually turn on people and the zhat vash are working against that. The big question I'm wondering about is if the storyline is going to be contained in just the season or if it's going to span multiple - possibly even the whole series. Disco story lines concluded at the end of each season, so I hope this one does the same, but with just how many conspiracies there are I can't believe they'll wrap it up by the finale.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Hey, what do you think that guy was talking about when he referred to Seven as not being one of the "new ones" in regards to Borg?

I guess it means drones assimilated in the present need fewer implants, so they have less poo poo to strip. That doesn't make much sense because newer drones should have better tech in them anyway. They could always say "the new drones use more nanobots for things and we can't use those" or some such horseshit.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Giggs posted:

The Star Wars bar scene was very good and that everyone was human was cool. It's great that having a larger budget compared to old treks still means nothing goes to like, sets or makeup or costumes or whatever. How fanciful and strange a place this is, it's like a horrible club that's trying too hard in the strange, distant lands of Buffalo.

Would you rather it be like the bar scene at the end of discovery season 1 where everyone is an Orion and there are sex workers you can pay to have threesomes with?

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't understand what the Romulans are doing.

We know they have a tracker on the doctor. Yet they have Narek following the tracker to presumably intercept Picard and Soji on Nepenthe since they don't know where Picard went with her. OK, that's fair enough. But at the end of the last episode we know that the Romulans found out where the 'synth homeworld' was, but meanwhile 'Rizzo' is farting around on the Cube killing off xBs when I assume the main goal of the Zhat Vash was to go find this planet that they have not been able to find and wipe out the synths. Was it absolutely necessary for Narek to have to follow the tracker closely to keep tabs on them? It's just weird that Rizzo seems in no rush to run off and find the place they have been looking for the entire season.

Things are kind of unclear and I can't tell if they're plot holes or hints at a big twist. Whatever doomsday prophecy they're following implicates Soji/Dahj directly. They're very concerned with exterminating both of them to stop doomsday from happening, so that's why following them is so important. I guess the homeworld thing is because they think more Soji/Dahj robots can be made? Maddox tells Vjayzel that his lab was destroyed - but we know the Zhat Vash are looking for it? This gives me the idea that there's a bad guy faction that still hasn't been revealed yet that's actually behind everything. Disco had surprise antagonist reveals in the last half of both of its seasons, so it wouldn't be out of character for them to do that here too.

It's kind of worse than that. People have been saying how down everything seems to be with everyone and in this case the Sikarians, who are super nice and giving and happy, end up getting assimilated and their society destroyed. Looks like they should have just given Voyager that tech and maybe they wouldn't have ended up saving the the Borg from 8472!

Lister fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 6, 2020

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I had thought the the mention of a threshold was referring to the infamous Voyager episode. Like if you advance too far and cross the warp threshold then bad things happen. But yeah, seeing these posts and watching the scene again, it sounds like an outside force appears. That seems even worse to me because now you're introducing a new antagonist in episode 8 of 10. It doesn't come as a total surprise since both seasons of Disco introduced secret bad guys behind everything in their last halves, but to just see something like this done a third time is exhausting.

Still kinda confused at the Soji home planet being around when Maddox clearly said his lab was destroyed to the point where everything was dissolved. I guess it's pointing to the new faction being behind it or a second new faction on this world that had been carrying on his work without him. Remember that "Maddox's" face was blurred out in Soji's visions of herself as a child. Perfectly reasonable that he didn't make all of the Sojis (although he did say that he sent her to the cube, so I could be wrong)

Lister fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 12, 2020

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I just now realized that the woman from the second episode that Soji made friends with has had zero role in the series

Early casting leaks seem to indicate that the role would have been bigger but was cut down for some reason:

quote:

Connie, a female who is also in her early 30’s. She’s African-American and has a quick temper, but is also quick to forgive. In addition to dealing with the loss of her husband, she is also avoiding a death sentence on her home planet. She’s a mercenary pilot who uses her ship to transport people to and from an artifact of some kind, though the ship is massively overqualified for that job.

Note that this is different from the info for what must have been Raffi:

quote:

Alana is a female in her mid-40s to mid-50s and is of any ethnicity. She’s a brilliant analyst and has a great memory despite abusing drugs and alcohol. Often times she gets irritated with her own vulnerability and is certain of herself, even when she’s wrong. A former intelligence officer, she sees conspiracies everywhere. Her professional and personal losses weigh heavily on her.

I'm going to guess that the original idea was to have her build a friendship with Soji and then fly her and Picard off the cube.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I can't be the only one annoyed by how they're sending Birds of Prey in as a fleet instead of Warbirds, right?

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Ramadu posted:

These are future birds of prey, very advanced you see

I just watched the scene again and Raffi says they're warbirds. They threw out the iconic design of the romulan warbird from TNG in favor of something that looks like a fighter jet. Why?

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

https://www.space.com/star-trek-section-31-discovery-filming-schedules.html

Following the Hollywood premiere of "Picard," GWW has reported that filming is set to start in Mississauga, Canada, on May 4 of this year and will shoot for a total of seven months, with a completion date of November 2020. Apparently, production was pushed back to accommodate Michelle Yeoh's shooting schedule on the Marvel Studios film "Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings."

GWW being Geeks Worldwide which is a media outlet I've never heard of.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I know Star Trek technology is already basically magic, but for some reason, that little handheld device that does literally whatever you can imagine just seems so egregious.

Calling it now that it will tie into season 2 somehow.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Yeah, it comes down to how much weight you want to put on technical aspects. If you see it as "storytelling" then maybe everything else is in service to the story, but if the story is weak, then just how much does it elevate that weak story? Do all the extra bells and whistles even matter?

To me, the bottom line is that all of those things age with time. What makes media classic is the story itself. STP did not deliver a story - from start to finish - that will be as appreciated or remembered as well as the best trek episodes. It was made to be binge watched and its flaws stick out even worse if you sit down and see it all at once.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Tighclops posted:

I don't think it was that well produced or acted overall either to be honest.

The production was a big step down from Discovery. Everything in the show looked cheap. The budget must have been much lower.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

DrNutt posted:

I don't know what show you're watching where "everything looked cheap" but the copy-pasted fleets in the last episode were loving embarrassing and it should have been like 8-10 ships on both sides max, allowing for some variation in ship models. Someone clearly though NO we need HUNDREDS OF SHIPS because it's BIGGER NUMBER.

Set design was generally flat over all. Cube interiors had a shifting graphic sometimes but wasn't consistent. Overall, they were grey corridors. This works for a Borg cube but it doesn't change the fact that it would have been cheap to put together. Rios' ship is practically empty. Vjayle's club is a room with a few lightbulbs hanging down from the ceiling. The costumes are people wearing normal clothes. Replicator props are repurposed 3D printers.

Compare this to Disco and its intricate Klingon/Mirror universe/Orion opium den interiors. Look at the modern star fleet uniforms in STP versus Disco's. Look at how much SFX were casually used in Disco. They had way more money and/or time and it lead to a better production.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm very glad the show didn't end with a firefight.

It kinda did and kinda didn't. They wanted to have their cake and eat it too.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

They did the exact same thing in Disco too.

I was about to say that "at least they waited a season before resurrecting them" but then I remembered the time someone was right about to die and they do the whole grieving rigamarole only for them to not die all in one episode.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Kibbles n Shits posted:

Wait why was Soji the destroyer? One of the other robots couldn't have turned on the space beam? This whole series has left me confused.

If Soji and Dahj were created from Data's neurons, were the other androids created from them too? Why did they look like Data's painting but the others didn't? Were they supposed to look like anyone from Data's mind? Can't another synth eventually find the Zhat Vash message and receive the info on making the signal that can kill everyone in the galaxy? Kind of creates a huge liability for letting synths continue to exist, don't you think?

If you go down these rabbit holes, the whole series breaks down.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

marktheando posted:

Do you really, legitimately, actually care about any of these things? If so, why?

I do. It has to do with how much effort the creative team puts into crafting the world that they're building. If this were a stand alone IP it wouldn't bother me, but with Star Trek there is a history there that needs to be considered if a series is going to take place in that universe. Either they didn't care enough to pay attention, they didn't have the knowledge/skills/abilities to get it right, or they didn't have the time or budget to do it. Any one of those would effect other things in the show's production and lead to a weak first season. Eventually we'll hear the stories of what happened behind the scenes and understand what happened.

I see this and then I remember that Discovery had an original ~60 second CGI sequence of molecules coming together when Burnham replicated her uniform. They must have overspent so much on that show and now Picard took the hit.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

marktheando posted:

I’m pretty certain spending on one show wouldn’t directly effect the other like that.

If the budget on Picard is stretched I bet it’s mainly because of Patrick Stewart’s salary.

They weren't in production at the same time, so they wouldn't directly. It's impossible to know exactly how much was being paid for what unless there's a leak on accounting documents or someone talks. I'm speculating, but I believe that Disco was expensive enough to make the profit margins pretty thin. The executives in charge might have seen that the expense of Disco isn't worth it and slashed everything for Picard. There was some news that Netflix fronted the bill for the first season or two of Disco in exchange for international distribution rights, so it's possible that they overspent and Netflix just rubber stamped it. Amazon prime has the rights for Picard and they might not have been willing to front as much as Netflix did.

I've seen others point to Patrick Stewart as expensive, and I'm sure he did cost more than the other actors, but he's never been an A-list celebrity. I don't think he alone brought down the budget enough to excuse every cheap aspect of the series. I could be wrong though and I do wish that one day we know for sure.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

TheCenturion posted:

Klingon Academy is where it’s at. Bring on the ginsu system.

After Starfleet Academy was put on GOG a few years ago, I was sure that Klingon Academy and the Borg FMV games would eventually follow. No other Star Trek games came about at all. Such a shame, I'd buy a version of Birth of the Federation in a heartbeat.

Lister fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 20, 2020

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

8one6 posted:

So far as we know they didn't change the number of episodes half way through production so why was the pacing so garbage? Why was the Borg cube there when it didn't really add anything to the overall story of the show? Why is the show about organics vs synths when they already had a compelling seed of a plot in the Romulan refugee idea?

It's just my theory, but since they've said they have three seasons in mind, my idea is that these were included to set up the major arcs of the next two seasons. This season was synths. Next will be about the Romulans and the chaos in the neutral zone. The final season will have Picard facing and defeating the Borg for the final time.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I doubt they had a big arc in mind, but knowing they had two more seasons lined up probably did change the way they wrote it. My guess is they threw some things at the wall knowing they could use the next two seasons to pick up on the ones that stuck.

I also doubt they'll do Picard vs. The Borg again, given all their talk about not wanting to make the show TNG part II. I am hoping for Picard working with the xBs somehow.

Remember that the entire series, not just the season, is meant to be binged. If the seasons follow as I think, then having Borg or Romulans included as much as they are in the first season wont seem as jarring if you keep watching straight from the first season to the second and third. However if they were barely mentioned and they're the focus of the final two seasons, it would seem weird to have had so little in the episodes before.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Peachfart posted:

So this is where we try to desperately try to rationalize terrible writing.
How do the incest Romulans fit into this grand vision?

It's confounding because there was a thought process to every creative decision made. The only fun I'm having watching nu-trek is acting like it's a puzzle and trying to put the pieces together even if I have to hammer together the ones that barely fit.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I've checked back a page or two, is the thread aware that the episode titles for DISCO 3 are out?

I just checked on them. This is the highlight:

Episode 4: Unification III

Can't wait for the trainwreck.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Once Gold Soji gets killed, Soji totally takes over the "kill all life" plan for like 15 minutes.

Nobody holds her responsible for this later just like no one really holds Allison Pill's character responsible for killing Bruce Maddox.

Gold Soji isn't killed, Soong just turns her off. You know, after the show spent a whole season establishing that androids are like people and deserve to be treated as such and not like a device you can turn on and off.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Wait, somehow I managed to miss this in all the discussion —

THEY MADE IT UP AS THEY WENT ALONG?!

What even is going on in 2020 jesús christ

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/patrick-stewart-breaks-down-shocking-star-trek-picard-finale-1286604

quote:

"I only learned of [Picard's death] way into [shooting] the first season," the Star Trek: Picard star tells The Hollywood Reporter in an exclusive post-mortem interview about "Arcadia Ego" and the show's freshman season overall. "Because that final episode wasn't written yet, and I didn't know it was part of the storyline."

"I remember the writers worked on that up to the evening before we shot it," Stewart recalled. "And I suggested one or two little tweaks to the script. And [the writers] got it so right."

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Given references Michael makes in the trailers about finding what went wrong with the federation, it seemed like she was going to try and find out the event that put them down the wrong path and then use time travel to undo it. But that would mean they'd be priming themselves to reboot the setting of the show again

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Seemlar posted:

Continually trying to compare Picard and that game is just the most bizarre bordering on embarrassing reach.

There are similarities and it's up to the individual to decide how much of a reach it is. I saw the interior of the main ship on Picard and was instantly reminded of the main ship from Mass Effect. That doesn't necessarily mean it was copied but it's probably just following the popular sci-fi styles on this generation of media. The issue in my eyes is that Star Trek should be innovative and unique instead just a trend-follower. I have to guess that it's because the people in charge haven't made that a priority.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Lord Krangdar posted:

If the entire season had been about Picard and Seven trying to help the ex-Borg who were being experimented on by Romulans, that would have fit both characters so much more. I don't understand why they chose to do the Skynet / Mass Effect plot, especially right after season 2 of Discovery did such a similar plot.

You want to talk about similar plots? Think about this:

Disco s1 was set up to be about the Klingon war. Halfway through the season, a twist reveals that the secret bad guy was Lorca and his mirror universe plan the whole time.

Disco s2 was set up to be about section 31 or the red angel doing some bad stuff. Halfway through the season, a twist reveals that the secret bad guy was a rogue AI the whole time.

Picard was set up to be about Romulans hunting androids. Halfway through the season, a twist reveals that the secret bad guy was a super machine empire galaxies away or something.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

I'm generally down on Kurtzman trek, but the future setting and end of the federation is AOK by me; Kurtzman-Abrams writers dont like the federation's squeaky clean post-scarcity ideas, now they have a reason for it to not exist in a show instead of shoehorning poverty and Fox News into it. They can finally blossom into the mid-tier Amazon scifi they want to be.

I'd be fine with a "federation in a decline" story line but it needs to be developed and explored over time and with the right kind of reasoning. Just saying welp, all the di-lithium blew up, let's pack it in boys is pretty dumb

Sexual Aluminum posted:

This was the first episode of Discovery I have watched.

Then this is for you. The entire setting has been rebooted with the intention for audiences to start here and not at the pilot.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

multijoe posted:

I'm sure it'll all be worth it when they introduce the secret evil force that deliberately sabotaged all the dilithium to destroy the Federation, we still like stock video game antagonists in these shows right?

For sure, if you think about it, there's been a secret bad guy that's revealed in the second half of every season of the new trek shows.

Disco S1 had secret evil Lorca S2 had secret evil AI Picard had secret evil machine empire

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Wee Bairns posted:

Romulans. Maybe they had a resurgence once the whole supernova emergency is more or less over. Didn't lose FTL travel because they use singularities instead of dilithium. Still pissed at Spock.

Maybe we'll find out in episode 7: Unification III

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

The societal collapse isn't just because dilithum became in short supply, it's because every single ship with a warp drive that uses it blew up. When you consider that every starfleet ship would be destroyed at the same time along with many other governments' navies, then yeah, things could break down. It's still a dumb thing to happen but it's not quite something you can hand wave away and say "they can just use a different FTL"

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

That's true, but I meant only in reference to the federation failing. If the dilithum just disappeared, they could have retrofit every ship with something else in a few months. I just wanted to highlight that when talking about this Burn event, they're missing that like, millions of people across the galaxy died.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh that's the thing, the people who tell folks that it's going to be cancelled, just wait and see, actually want it continue for a long as possible so they can keep grifting off the roiling angry nerds who tune in to listen to them tell them that it's totally going to be cancelled this time, just wait and see, in the meantime keep giving me all your all your energy, and more importantly your money, so that I can make your ardent hatedream a reality. If the show really is cancelled, if the dog catches the car, then their revenue stream dries up because they have no further draw to reel in the roiling nerds with. They won, it's over, go home and move on with your life.

tl;dr: No one actually thinks the show will ever get cancelled on anything but its own terms, but it's a good business model to pander to the uninformed rubes who think it WILL get cancelled if they just get mad enough at it.

This is like saying the liberal media wants trump to win because they won't have anything new to report on if he doesn't. They're being honest about what they want, it's just that when they get that, they can always find something new to be outraged about.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Alchenar posted:

e2: oh also the federation faked video footage to accuse her step brother of murder for leverage.

There's no way I'm going back to watch it again to confirm, but if I remember right, it was Control that faked that footage because it knew that Spock was going to be connected to its destruction or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Perestroika posted:

Just watched the new episode, drugged-up Michael was great. Gives me some hope that the writers are finally realising that both the character and actor are much more fun to watch when the script actually lets her show emotion beyond "stoically sorrowful". I just hope they can keep that up.

People keep saying that, but there's not really any joke there. Someone gets high and acts goofy. That's about as broad of humor as you can get. They may as well have given her helium so her voice was all high pitched as well. Talk about comedy gold