Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

I’m really looking forward to hearing the theme music, and seeing what it’ll be. Maybe they’ll pay homage to the TNG theme, maybe it’ll be dubstep?

Does this even count as spoiler? Supposedly they just use the TNG theme, no changes.

Edit: They should have the credit sequence should be the same as TNG, but with Picard's face in place of the Enterprise.

Does anybody know why there aren't any reviews for Picard? Is it embargoed, or did they not screen it for critics? I don't remember what they did with critics for Discovery season 1.

You can get a one month instead of one week CBS All Access trial until the 27th with promo code JANUARY.

pyrotek fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Nullsmack posted:

Does that work if you get it through Prime?

Nope.

Apparently the free month runs after the one week trial if you have used it yet, and the episode premieres at 12:01AM PST.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Huh, that’s definitely not been said anywhere I’ve seen.

Are you saying you've specifically seen otherwise or not heard details at all? It is entirely possible the person on twitter who said they saw the premiere was bullshitting.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Fuller is a crazy genius. I can understand why they decided to get rid of him, but I wish they would have kept him.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Will we need to use spoiler tags in this thread?

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Show is up a little early!

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

pyrotek posted:

Does this even count as spoiler? Supposedly they just use the TNG theme, no changes.

Edit: They should have the credit sequence should be the same as TNG, but with Picard's face in place of the Enterprise.

The credit sequence is closer to that than I would have guessed. They definitely don't use the TNG/TMP theme except for the sting at the end.

The main girl reminds me way too much of River Tam.

Bruce Maddox has a theory that Data's entire code, including of his memory can be reconstituted from a single positron neuron? OK... that seems like a stretch. If nothing else, I'm glad that they specifically rejected the B4 route of bringing Data back in the show.

Overall, it was alright. I'm not particularly intrigued by the story, but at least it didn't turn me off immediately like the first couple episodes of Discovery. At least it is taking its time and didn't feel the need to bring everything together in the first episode.

pyrotek fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 23, 2020

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

One more thing: the writing wasn't very quippy at all. I hope it stays like that, but for some reason the crew for the ship look like they'll be quip machines, possibly even in some cases literally.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

The premiere in London was three episodes and everything isn't set up until the end of those, by the way.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Lizard Combatant posted:

I worry that they're setting themselves up for a lot of nonsense intrigue and reveals, but... hey I'm keen to see more.

Reviews of the first three episodes suggest exactly that.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Cross-Section posted:

Not sure how I feel about the writing making a big deal about how Dahj is a wonderful, unique being shortly before dousing her in acid, blowing her up, and to add insult to injury, revealing that, thankfully, there's a spare so the plot can continue. Don't get me wrong, I'm intrigued by the twist and still wanna see where the show goes with it, but lol poor Dahj

I also thought that Picard getting blown backwards in San Francisco and waking up being tended to at La Barre, France by his Romulan friends instead of medical professionals was weird.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That whole sequence really seemed like someone went “alright, enough character development, we need to get the plot moving here” because so much poo poo happens so quickly. I also wasn’t expecting her to die at first, I thought the acid was just going to do some kind of Terminator thing and show mechanical components under her skin or something. It was also a little weird how little it immediately affected Picard. For all he knew, he just saw the only daughter of his dead closest friend melt and explode when he should have been protecting her. He gets upset but there’s no real grief and he’s just like “oh cool, thank god” when Alison Pill tells him there’s another Dahj out there somewhere.

It’s one of the few hiccups in the episode, but it stood out.

I think you can feel the development troubles that the show had in sequences like that. With having Kurtzman in charge, then Chabon, and the delay for the reshoots, I think the first season being a bit disjointed is inevitable.

Hopefully whomever they get to be showrunner for the second season (and third to be shot back-to-back, if the rumors are true) has a clear vision and can get corporate to buy-in so such troubles are minimized.

I think one of the big downsides to serial television is that it is extremely difficult to maintain consistency throughout one big story with so many people involved in the production. This episode has 19(!) producers listed in the opening credits. Without having to worry about the next episode so much, each episode of an episodic show can have a distinct feel.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Rhyno posted:

I'd bet he's involved somehow. Maybe Maddox stole his remains when he disappeared.

If Data's entire code, including of his memory can be reconstituted from a single positron neuron, then what would happen if you made a whole line of Androids from Lore's neurons? That would explain the Mars thing, that is for sure.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- Dahj's "death" seemed a little odd to me. It's as if the stuff the Romulan spat on her (blood?) started eating her away like acid, paralyzing her so she couldn't move away from the overloading disruptor. I think she did have time to move otherwise. I'm also not sure she's really gone. "Didn't appear on the security footage" and "didn't find any remains" seems highly suspicious, especially given that the assassins are explicitly using highly accurate and fast transporter tech.

The tie-in comic establishes that Laris and Zhaban, the Romulans with Picard, are agents of the Tal Shiar.

Romulans were behind the attack on Dahj. Probably Tal Shiar.

The attack was in San Franscisco, but Picard somehow mysteriously ends up back at his home in France, trusting the word of said Tal Shiar agents. I guess Starfleet security didn't want to question him about the attack on their campus?

The other twin is with the Romulans on the Borg cube.

The Tal Shiar agents likely went with Picard to keep tabs on him knowing that the synths like Dahj would end up contacting Picard. They probably know this because they've kidnapped Bruce Maddox and are using him to make synths using Lore's neurons, which are the ones that attacked Mars. Laris and Zhaban did something to spook Dahj, which is why she left in the middle of the night. They informed Romulan security of Picard's location when he went to San Franscisco and attacked as soon as they had a chance. Laris and Zhaban successfully kidnapped Dahj, got rid of the bodies and blood somehow, and beamed Picard to his chateau before he could be questioned.

This theory could completely fall apart next episode when Picard presumably goes to Starfleet with his request. We'll see how much they know about the attack then. Wouldn't an attack on Starfleet Headquarters have them on the highest security alert possible? With an explosion as big as there is in the episode, no way they couldn't have detected it.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

Puh-lease don't let this involve Control from Discovery..

I'm still worried that they'll use this to set up Discovery season 3 and the Section 31 show. I'm going to cringe the second I hear the words "Section 31" on this show.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean, there is a subset of weird YouTube People who are legit mad about this show for..l I honestly know why, literally everyone else on the planet who’s seen it so far is gushing about it.

There is a subset that are pre-pissed off that the show will be supportive of "others": immigrants, gays, basically anybody not a cis white male.

I don't know how they got through the other series with their viewpoints.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Do we really want to support these morons by linking their videos?

Watching counts as support, and down-voting counts even more like nine-gear crow stated.

Edit: mocking them is fun too now that I think about it

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Tighclops posted:

People like that lady have caused me to quantify "I think Discovery was really bad" with "but I'm not a nazi" whenever it comes up in polite conversation

Yeah. I didn't like Discovery or Last Jedi or GoT S7 or 8 but it pains me to be grouped in with these people.

On the other hand, some people immediately group you with racist assholes even if you have legitimate criticisms of the above, which is also really bad.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

If we happen to come across future episode spoilers, how do we differentiate from current episode spoilers? Say something before the tag?

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

To be fair they called virtually everything about the show. And they'd be the first to tell you it's not because they're geniuses, there's just not many plot hooks for prestige TV and Picard. The vineyard, Romulans, Borg, Data, called all of it months ago. Whatever they think about it I would imagine some of their disappointment is how predictable it is.

They aren't really wrong about anything, they're just ignoring the good parts.

I understand the pessimism given that it is pretty much the same people in charge of this and Discovery.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Seemlar posted:

This RLM video is shockingly bad even by their existing standards of having bad Star Trek takes

Please elaborate.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Origami Dali posted:

People have been saying it takes its time, which is bizarre as hell because it feels far too fast moving to me.

For me, that is just in comparison to Discovery, which goes so fast it is like the writers were smoking crack or something. I'd also like Picard to be slower.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I said come in! posted:

First episode of Picard was okay, but this second episode was convoluted trash. So far this is making zero sense and nothing is happening.

That is pretty much where I am at. The second episode was a bunch of characters I didn't like spouting boring exposition and being rude to each other.

Of course there has to be a more secret secret police with the Romulans.

The editing in the scene where they are both dropping exposition in Chateau Picard and trying to figure out what happened in Dahj's apartment was really weird. They probably decided that the lovely Romulan infodump at Chateau Picard and the awful technobabble explanation at Dahj's apartment played horribly viewed straight through, but I don't see how constantly cutting between the two scenes improved it any.

I don't like that the purpose of the interview scene at the beginning of the first episode was to give Starfleet and excuse not to give him a ship. I guess all the other times Picard saved the world and suffered for the sake of Starfleet and humanity are cancelled because he was mean to them on TV for 60 seconds over something that happened 14 years ago?

All-in-all, a painful 45 minutes of television that I had to struggle to finish. Hopefully the series picks up quickly after they finish setting everything up next episode.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

The admiral would have found a way to not give Picard a ship no matter what happened. Picard was being the old retired guy who gets into your office and says "I used to work here" as if anyone there cares. Picard making GBS threads on Starfleet in that interview was just a convenient excuse to use to brush him off. In the real world, Picard would call up Starfleet, say "Romulans attacked someone I just met" and then the person on the phone says "thanks for the tip, we'll take care of it because we have the all the power of Starfleet and you're just a retired old man, so you aren't needed anymore." And then he gets pissy and goes home. Also, she's a starfleet admiral, so any slight bending of a regulation or action that causes Starfleet not to be perfect is the worst crime in history and I've brought down bigger men than you Picard!

If this had been the second episode in a series about a new character, I would have bought that with no problem. The issue here is, this is motherfucking Jean-Luc Picard we are talking about. He is most certainly not the normal retired guy who still thinks he knows what is going on. He has done so many unbelievable things that there should be nothing he could say to them that they shouldn't at least thoroughly investigate before dismissing.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Are you forgetting that she's a starfleet admiral?

That is a trope I wouldn't mind going away.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Lizard Combatant posted:

Oh nooooooooooo

I just had a horrible thought...

Dumbo here is gonna be from the pissing mirror universe, isn't she?

Or section 31

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I actually liked this episode quite a bit more than the last one if only because it had less scheming admirals, silly technobabble, and super-super-secret Romulan societies and more character moments with the main characters in the show.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I have a lot of problems with this show, both major and minor, but the one thing that bugs me the most is Raffi calling Picard JL.

I hate it so much. It is way too familiar unless maybe they used to be lovers or something, and it just sounds stupid. It feels like the show is trying to say that Raffi was really close to Picard, way closer than the TNG characters you remember, so you should see her as more important than them.

When they delayed the show for the rewrites and reshoots, they should have gotten rid of that along with adding in the TNG cameos.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Angry Salami posted:

I did think it was interesting, though, that Picard doesn't have any similar nickname for her, and doesn't show the same informality with her - I kind of got the impression that their friendship was a bit one-sided. She idolized him, but he wasn't anywhere near as close to her as he was to the TNG crew or even to his Romulan friends.

That is a good point, and when/if they get around to expanding her backstory the relationship could make more sense.

That said, nothing will change my mind about how awful JL sounds. It is an irrational hatred.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Did Hugh really need to be killed? I don't understand why they did that.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

Discovery has been renewed for season 5. No, that's not a typo. Season five is officially a go, even though season 3 hasn't aired and season 4 doesn't even start production until summer.

https://thegww.com/exclusive-star-trek-discovery-renewed-for-season-5-at-cbs-all-access/

I'm so glad we have noted web site thegww.com definitively confirming that information without any sources at all.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Thad Riker's purpose was also to show how unique features from every type of life form can benefit others. If only Soji's positronic brain had existed not too long ago, poor Thad would still be around.

I mean, sure, they could have just used disassembled B-4's positronic matrix, but who wants to go all the way back to Earth? Besides, if they turned on even just his head for only a fraction of a second, he could go super saiyan and blow up the planet, just ask Commodore Oh. drat you disease with a super-specific cure that I guess happened to be tested on B-4, Lore, Data, or maybe super-secretly on Juliana Soongbot before the ban!

Speaking of Juliana Soongbot, is she still around? Starfleet would be aware of her existence, right? Do you think they diverted all the resources they were using to save the Romulans to hunting her down and deactivating her?

pyrotek fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 9, 2020

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is kinda cool.

https://twitter.com/trekculture/status/1237359763698208768?s=21

It’s faint and in the background so you’ll have to listen closely in the Inner Light scenes. The key and the rhythm is a little different, but it’s there.

I wish the show felt like it cared as much about Picard from TNG as that 15 seconds from the opening credits.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

IGN just posted a preview of tonight/tomorrow's episode. Obvious spoilers.

Looks like we're getting the gang back together just in time for the finale.

That had better not be all there is about Hugh's death. Eight seconds of misleading dialog by Picard before he gets distracted by xBs working on a battery?

If they were intent on getting the gang together, why not include Hugh?

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

The Zhat Vash are a super-secret Romulan society, right? So how the gently caress did they get 218 Warbirds to attack the planet?

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Actually, since my last Idiotic Prediction (Seven goes Borg Queen and hijacks the Cube to help Picard) came true, here's another one:

The turning point for "please don't destroy us, supersynths" will be Soong uploading his mind into the Synth body and Picard basically going "well the synth/organic line is already irrevocably blurred, guess you either gotta kill everybody or nobody :smuggo:"

Senor Tron posted:

Does anyone feel like they made this not knowing if it would have a second season? The Picard telling everyone he's dying thing seems like it was setup for him to make some kind of self-sacrifice.

Or Picard is the one uploaded, solving his degenerative disease and dying issues.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Alchenar posted:

Nothing screams cheap low effort cgi that seeing 200 copy/pastes of the exact same ship model. Just give me 15-20 ships with a bit of variety because I can accept that as a reasonable fleet and I can also accept any depiction of an extended set-piece battle as 'these are big and powerful ships slugging it out'. You can only track so many things happening on screen at once anyway; this is why the opening scene of Revenge of the Sith is pretty decent - there's a massive battle going on but there's only ever two or three things on the screen so you can absorb all the detail. You get a couple of example shots of big spaceships blowing each other up and that's enough for you to imagine what the rest of the battle is like.

I'm not sure why there needed to be more than three ships: Picard's ship, one Warbird to destroy the tiny synth civilization, and Riker's ship to save them. 218 Warbirds is so many that they could have just destroyed everything in 10 seconds and nothing Picard can do in his one tiny ship should have phased them. With only one Warbird, it is reasonable that Picard could outsmart them in his outmatched ship long enough to delay until Riker saves the day.

Also, it avoids the problem of the super secret Romulan society that is just a rumor somehow having control of 218 ships, and needing a roughly equivalent amount of Federation ships to counter them. The Federation was only able to send 40 ships to Wolf 359 in a last, desperate attempt to save Earth, but Riker was able to get a force of many times that size to save Picard? OK

Regarde Aduck posted:

They looked like terrible placeholder designs as well.

The real reason they made so many ships warp in is probably because with only a few ships, you would focus a lot more on the awful designs.

pyrotek fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 27, 2020

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

galenanorth posted:

All right everybody, it's just the protagonist ship standing in the way of the destruction of Earth!

[a few series later]

haha starship printer go brrrrrrrr

In a series where the destruction of their main shipyards is a significant plot point.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

I'd really love to hear what happened behind the scenes of this mess. There had to be an absolutely massive amount of studio fuckery to end up with something this disjointed. That story would probably be far more interesting than the series itself, much like the Appendices in the Hobbit movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

People have been saying this about shows for like a decade now, and I think it'd be good for everyone to recognize that this isn't some conspiracy. We just live in a world where TV writers and producers are much dumber than they used to be, and they generally expect that of their audience too.

The story is that a bunch of people who think they're really creative all got together, each pitched like 2 moments that they were hoping to get on the show and figured they'd back in to somehow, and then they just threw all those moments together and called it a day. Imagine people doing a goon project, but they're in a very modern conference room with lots of fun snacks and stuff.

I have to admit I was holding out hope that Chabon was competent. His recent Q&A sessions suggest otherwise. He might be a good writer at times, but he is in over his head as showrunner.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

That said, if you think Picard is terrible you didn't watch TV back then and you aren't watching TV now, because in a world where the Voyager and the BBC/Netflix Dracula exist Picard is a long loving way from bottom of the pile.

Just because worse things exist doesn't mean Picard can't also be terrible.