Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Arquinsiel posted:

It just occurs to me that it's pretty funny that the Klingons never taunted the Federation about the Romulan/Vulcan relationship given that they had an alliance that went as far as sharing ships and cloaking technology.

I guess the Romulans made them honour pinkie swear to keep the secret or something.

Klingons were too busy ragging on the Federation for being a Homo Sapiens only club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

GABA ghoul posted:

And there was that one story arc where the federation government sold out some of its colonies and citizens to fascist aliens. IRC some of them were even american indian descendents to hammer the point home.

This always leaves me with mixed feelings though, since... they're colonies. These aren't ancestral homelands, they're empty planets these people rocked up on and planted their flags on and said, "Mine!"

Also I've played enough Paradox games that I can imagine the whole 'Federation gives away planets to Cardassia, Cardassia gives away planets to Federation' treaty must have fixed some border gore, and that's always good right?

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

GABA ghoul posted:

Agreed, someone has to make these hard and uncomfortable choices to save lives and keep everyone save. These strong men with strong minds do what the weak ivory tower dogooders can't. :hai:

*Ahem* I think you'll find it was those weak-willed peaceniks in the Federation council that surrendered our blood and soil to those snivelling spoonheads right when our brave boys in Starfleet were on the cusp of victory. A few more strong hard men making hard decisions could've let us keep those colonies, and a bounty more besides!

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

I still think the guy second from the left looks similar to the modern version of the Tellarites.

Everyone else, who knows.

He's totally a Talaxian. All tufty and scruffy and spotty.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Good thing he wasn't born on a magic iron planet!

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Gonz posted:

Was there ever a canonical mention or followup in any Star Trek media about those aliens in Force of Nature warning everybody about how warp fields are damaging space?

Voyager's foldy nacelles supposedly generate a non damaging warp field but no one cares otherwise.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

There's no way Picard is going to reference the Dominion or anything from DS9.

It's probably some Terra Nova human supremacist kind of group like in Mass Effect since we know they like cribbing from that.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, that’s the one that ends with him and Kira having a DBZ fight on the promenade because they’re both possessed.

Weirdly, I always confuse it with the one where Sisko’s visions are giving him brain damage and Bashir wants Jake’s permission to do a procedure that would leave Sisko permanently cut off from the prophets.

Also it's not Bashir who does that procedure, it's the Founder pretending to be Bashir.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Problematic Soup posted:

Okay, so a couple random thoughts.

Quark has a chain of bars and cool model kits he’s selling. He is making at least USS Cerritos and DS9 models, so presumably he has a whole line of them. Even if he’s not the Negus, his brother is, and I bet that he has tons of Ferengi that are queuing up to loan him money for whatever business venture he wants to that he doesn’t have cash on hand for. I bet he’s bringing Marauder Moe dolls back if someone else hasn’t yet.

This is I think the third time that they’ve mentioned capital ships in the show, and apparently the California class isn’t one. And the bouncer at the party mentioned Luna class and bigger ship captains only were invited. I would be interested to know if this sort if dividing line between “real ship” and second-tier/support role ships is an actual thing that gets fleshed out more.

Back in the movies they always described the Enterprise as a 'heavy cruiser', and the technical manuals fleshed it out a bit more - there was that three nacelle dreadnaught class Federation class I think.

There's not a full article on classes and their meanings but you can see links to all the named classes on the memory alpha page here with examples of where each was given.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Payndz posted:

Fun episode (even if the Dooplers were straight-up Futurama aliens rather than Star Trek), and more openly warm-hearted than usual - the ending with the main cast all hanging out in Space Cheers had a real 'crew as family' vibe for probably the first time. But ironically, the story took advantage of animation being able to do things live-action TV can't without an enormous budget and gave us... an interminable car chase? I was at the 'come on, end now, END!' stage before they even reached the aviary.

I did enjoy the further recanonisation of TAS with all the races from 'Jihad', though. (And one of Bem's species was in the mid-season trailer.) Keep 'em coming!

Yeah, the end was the best part of the episode. Freeman joining in with Mariner and Boimler's joking around over who has to be number one was really nice and gave a much stronger feeling of the crew all coming together.

I wasn't keen on the car chase at all. The dooplers, despite being a bit too out there as a concept, were at least funny enough to forgive.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Horta and Medusan crewmembers when?

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah Kira points out that she doesn't have a clue what any of the names are referencing.

I always thought Kira was good for stuff like that. Like punching out Lancelot in the Camelot holodeck thing.

Bajorans are basically humans in terms of looks and broad morals/attitudes, but Kira always gave off a good vibe of 'having to deal with these aliens' when interacting with humans. She gets them as people but she doesn't know their specific cultural references in a way that's just naturally smoothed over rather than made into a big Darmok kind of deal or even a 'Data clumsily grapples with metaphor' way.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

I really love how Lower Decks uses the Pakleds. You're never 100% sure when they're loving with Starfleet and when they're being serious.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Kesper North posted:

I want an entire new set of metaphors to mine for memes for years out of him.

Props to the VA for making them sound very conversational and natural in the action scenes.

Yeah I only really noticed two in the episode and both were just slotted into conversation in a very natural 'guy dropping a reference' manner which Ransom gets and doesn't hold things up to question. It's a good way of doing things.

Another thing I really appreciated was every time the Redshirts crossed paths with the others and looked down their noses at them, Boimler immediately and consistently defended his friends. There was no 'Oh Boimler's getting too good for his friends!' angle but neither did Boimler turn it into a big dramatic fight with the Redshirts either. He stuck up for his friends but he's still trying to get along with his crewmates/potential new friends. It dodged the obvious route for that kind of plot and really showed Boimler's growth as a person and officer in that way.

The first couple episodes of season 2 weren't as good as the end of season 1, but it definitely feels on the right track now.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Alchenar posted:

I definitely don't like this aspect of Star Trek (although it was good that Enterprise acknowledged it, it was there before) because it means there's a legitimate reading of what you see on screen that for all it claims to the contrary, the Federation is really a human supremist organisation with a manifest destiny complex. Humanity drives the Federation and all the other species quietly going along with it because don't gently caress with the Humans they'll work out how to put a nuke in your planet's core or something.

Hell, that's even explicitly called out in VI.

The TOS movie Klingons are my favourite Klingons because they make clear that as much as they're badass warrior race martial culture dudes, they loving hate how scary and often provocative the Federation is to them. They don't actually want to be fighting a foreverwar, but they've got to keep up a strong defence against poo poo like Genesis superweapons, and the idea of joining the Federation and being second string members in service of Humanity is abhorrent.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Episode was a banger, such a delight to hear Jeffrey Combs' voice on Star Trek again.

I really loved the stuff with the renfaire ship too, it really had the feel of a Lwuxana episode/silly early 90s tie-in novel about a planet with dragons that just feels like Star Trek to me as much as Klingons and Picard speeches and double-fisted punches do.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

I don't know that ejecting the bridge really helps though. It's so exposed if it gets hit then everyone there is dead, and if they eject it before it's been hit that's just leaving the rest of the ship adrift and also leaving the bridge as kind of an easy target if done during a battle. And ejecting the bridge to save the officers while the rest of the ship hurtles into a black hole or other deadly anomaly feels kind of lovely.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Seeing how the Vulcan Science Ship handled itself against the Klingon and Pakled ships, I think I see where Starfleet gets their 'we're not a military even though we fly around in heavily armed starships' conceit from.

Also I love how Klingon Boimler was saved by the targ after being shown cuddling and petting it every time they were on screen together.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

LinkesAuge posted:

we already had he setup of "warp drives are bad for the environment" in TNG.

Omega particles render warp drive inoperable across large volumes of space too!

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

If they wanted a part of Voyager to move they should have built its landing gear more fully into the overall design. Having the engineering hull suspended on a couple of little feet while the saucer just hangs unsupported and higher up on the other end makes me feel like it would just pitch over any time it actually landed.

Obviously they have artificial gravity and structural integrity fields, they can make it work, but it looks dumb and if the ship was built for planetary landings it should look the part.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Barry Foster posted:

Basically she likes and respects what she's seen of TNG, but it's maybe a bit too stuffy for her. So LDS is perfect for her.

Yeah, that same optimism about bettering ourselves but without the weird dictates about having no interpersonal conflict really makes LDS resonate for me. Despite the cartoony over the topness it's still a more grounded look at the Federation/Starfleet culture we saw in TNG, and as a kid who dreamed of living on the Ent-D back in the 90s I love that.

Now I'm just sad we have to wait for more.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

The Grumbles posted:

Is there a good article somewhere that goes into the stodgy influence Roddenberry had on TNG in terms of what people were and weren't allowed to write into the stories? I sometimes see people reference the various restrictions writers had to push back against and am curious.

While it's not it's entire focus and there probably are better deep dives on Roddenberry in particular, I watched this recently enough that it's fresh in mind and it does go into some detail on Roddenberry's influence (and lack thereof as his health declined) on early TNG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB08m-d1hhc

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

Why would his memories be from this 3rd person perspective?

Those were his triple redundant backups so of course they'd be from a third person perspective. That's how it works.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Evergreen comic.

Also

a pipe smoking dog posted:

There's a lot of questions like this. Like why did that one alien in conondrum go to the trouble of brainwashing the enterprise so they would blow up the enemy aliens, instead of just trading his brain washing technology to the ferengi for some WMDs?

The aliens in that episode were pretty primitive/weak compared to the Federation. It could be their tiny civilization was completely surrounded by the Federation and their warp 2 or whatever ships would take decades to reach Ferengi or Klingon space so they had to make do with who was nearby.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

V-Men posted:

Honestly I don't even recall why the Founders made the Dominion and why they needed to conquer stuff. They lived in a giant goo lake that didn't even have a roof.

It's pretty interesting to think about the Founders like that. Like they're biologically capable of flying through space at warp speed, and they don't appear to have any need for sustenance that we ever see. They could be space-whales flitting about peacefully through the void and never interacting with anyone else. But they choose to adopt the detestable forms of humanoids that they hate and run a gigantic ever-expanding empire around the one planet they like to chill out as a lake on.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

8one6 posted:

I'm guessing a 24th century mobile emitter would be at least the size of a lunch box if not that big backpack thing from the Doctor's holonovel.

I don't get why they wouldn't put the mobile emitter inside the hologram though, like the Light Bee in Red Dwarf.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Mooseontheloose posted:

The tux utat? The thing he found with Vash?

Maybe someone else found it and used it to save some other system far away and that's why Romulus's star suddenly went nova out of nowhere.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

It is funny when you come across some Trek youtuber and you watch an interesting video they have about DS9 or something and you think, "This guy knows what's up," and then you watch a video he did about Lower Decks and he just comes across as a completely joyless gently caress.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Super Deuce posted:

“Brace yourselves” nobody braced themselves.

RIP Voyager's first first officer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1UIWrkswvA

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Polaron posted:

Quark's not a good Ferengi, though. He tries to be, but he's not. I could totally buy him not wanting anything to do with the Karemma any more because of the war. He really liked Jadzia, after all.

Yeah when Quark started mouthing off at them I actually bought it as one of his rare and inconveniently timed moments of conscience.

Great episode, I loved the Worf Orion. "Everything I know about Orions came from movies. The bad ones with boobs on the cover!"

You know Worf grew up on a diet of Klingon Bat'leth movies.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

happyhippy posted:

But then there was nothing until TNG, which was less than a decade later (UK didn't get it for the first year or two after it was out in the US).

I remember watching the first episode of TNG at my gran's house when it premiered, but I didn't know we were two years behind when it did!

We must've gotten caught up by the time Best of Both Worlds aired. Such a strange disconnected world it was back then.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Ross must be thrilled with this episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lQ1XIrXjls

I did think it was kind of lovely that the whole Mariner plot only works because of sitcom-esque 'nobody talks to each other and there's a misunderstanding' logic.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

If the star your planet orbits around goes nova then yeah you're hosed and there's nothing you can do about it, but if a star 10 light years away goes nova and sends a shock wave of deadly radiation in all directions that'll irradiate your planet in ten years couldn't you just stick a big shield generator one light year away from the star to tank the part that'll hit your world? It wouldn't even need to be that big for the same reason the moon can block out all the radiation coming from the sun from hitting earth despite being far smaller.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Considering how often DS9 held off entire fleets I was a bit disappointed that the spacedock got chumped by three AI ships, but still what a great episode.

So happy for Shax getting to live his dream in not just one but two season finales.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Is there a quick summary of whatever's going on with Prodigy?

I pretty much ignore Trek except for when Lower Decks is running but I'm curious.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

You have to decloak to fire weapons, it's fine to travel around unseen but honorable open combat is baked into the technology.

Ignore Chang's prototype, everyone agrees he is without honour.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Jumbo size Birds of Prey are so loving dumb and I hate them.

Love the whole D7/K'tinga/Vor'cha/Neigh'var lineage though. Klingon designs are neat.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Yeah it's basically like a bigger runabout.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Thranguy posted:

Those guys operate(d) out of the 27th century and probably aren't enforcing their own permanent shutdown. Although stranger things have happened in Trek

Time Cops are usually from the future, so I always found the idea of an extinct civilization claiming jurisdiction over time travel fascinating. Probably have some really fatalistic view about the sanctity of the timeline and how they're not even abusing it to prevent their own eventual destruction so like gently caress are they gonna let anyone else in the future mess around.

Also, did Zephram Cochrane's first warp engine need dilithium? It seems to me like you could run a perfectly serviceable warp drive off of a 30th century fusion reactor. Or did the writers just think dilithium was integral to warp drive as a concept rather than just being a catalyst in the anti-matter reactors most commonly used to power warp drives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

"Little?"