Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No advance screening for critics? Is that something people do in TV?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I see. So reviews should go up tomorrow morning?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh man, Stewart looks so old. :(

It's sad.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jan 24, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Welp, body count of four by the opening credits. New Trek...

Wait, so Stewart was 67 in 1990? That can't be right.

edit: he's 80 you big liars

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Number One has big balls!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh cool another huge terrorist attack. Yaaaay it's modern Trek.

Anyone else get the sense that Stewart's just playing himself here? I don't really see Picard.

Well I finished the episode. It's not awful like Discovery's first episode, but I'm not impressed.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 24, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have no issue believing Maddox finally cracked it. The idea that Maddox created a race of super-terrorists, then disappeared, then cracked it for real and secreted two amnesiac androids on opposite sides of known space -- that's harder to accept.

Also I'm kinda disappointed they went this way when holograms and computer cores are gaining sentience left and right. A decent line to pick up but it felt like AI was just around the corner, not a tightly held secret.

I did really like the archive computer avatar. It felt like a natural evolution of technology from the 2370s.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 24, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh and it was very restrained of them to wait a full 53 minutes before bringing the Borg back.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

marktheando posted:

I'm glad because it allows them to ignore all the stupid hologram stuff from Voyager, using the EMH as miners etc.

Oh yeah yikes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Horrible Taste posted:

Was I only one kind of annoyed that one of the first things the show does is kill off the only black man in the entire episode?

Or how there are no Okinawans on Okinawa?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There's some general weird writing notes throughout the episode, like how Picard is injured in Paris(?) and wakes up at home, or why Allison Pill's first reaction to meeting an idol who worked with giants in her field would be to laugh in his face.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

And in order to keep them a secret they staged the Mars attack to make their army illegal. Starfleet did Mars 11. Very plausible.

I mean this is a Kurtzman joint right?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It would be Alex kurtzman's ultimate homage to Gene Roddenberry if Picard had to go back in time and do 9/11.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I hate the delta flyer

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm sorry that you are wrong :v:

Now I'm trawling your rap sheet looking for some way to get you banned

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Less romulans more homomdans

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

zoux posted:

Easily thousands

40x250=10,000

40×600= 24,000

Depends on average crew complement.

Seas on mars would never be photogenic because the entire northern hemisphere is one big basin

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 24, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Just LOL if you don't have a box of Earl Grey in your cupboard. What the hell are you doing with your life.

I also want to praise the directing. It's rarely noticeable but it frames the action way better than 90s TV. The poker scene, weird Brent Spiner CGI not withstanding, was an unobtrusive look at what modern TV effects and direction can do.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Lady Grey is better than Earl Grey. :colbert:

What the gently caress did you just loving say to me, you little bitch? I'll have you know I graduated top of my class in the Red Squad, and I've been involved in numerous secret raids on Tal Shiair, and I have over 300 confirmed kills. I am trained in gorilla warfare and I'm the top sniper in the entire Starfleet. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will wipe you the gently caress out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before in this Galaxy, mark my loving words. You think you can get away with saying that poo poo to me over the Commnet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of spies across the Alpha Quadrant and your subspace relay is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your life. You're loving dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can kill you in over seven hundred ways, and that's just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in unarmed combat, but I have access to the entire arsenal of Section 31 and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable rear end off the face of the continent, you little poo poo. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little "clever" comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your loving tongue. But you couldn't, you didn't, and now you're paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will poo poo fury all over you and you will drown in it. You're loving dead, kiddo.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think Brie Larsen's lack of charisma in that movie is a genuine criticism. She's been in other stuff where she was good, but I'm not sure if a Grrrl Power superhero is her forté.

The screenplay doesn't help either. Is she supposed to act like a hot-shot fighter pilot or a weird brainwashed alien warrior?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Can you criticize a woman's performance in a role without being a misogynist?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That's like third level meta-commentary. Mad about the producers being mad about something.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Speaking of actresses, whatever happened to Mila Kunis?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Telephone poles are very tall. This is a confusing metaphor.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

When my grandpa taught me to play poker it was draw poker. All these texas styles are confusing.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I also like Allison Pill but I was mad at her because she was mean to Captain Picard. :mad:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sorry I don't know.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I find it kind of amusing whenever these realism in time travel nitpicks happen because there is no such thing as scientific accuracy in this arena.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have read a book about special relativity but I haven't bothered to read any of this argument.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Rhyming is the best way to make yourself understood so here goes:

If you've never heard of Minkowski don't talk to me about relativity.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Speaking of mindfucks all of Farscape is available on Amazon Prime Video.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

To be fair they called virtually everything about the show. And they'd be the first to tell you it's not because they're geniuses, there's just not many plot hooks for prestige TV and Picard. The vineyard, Romulans, Borg, Data, called all of it months ago. Whatever they think about it I would imagine some of their disappointment is how predictable it is.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Eh. I don't care to dig through their videos to prove they called it before the trailers but I think these things were easy to call. Where else are you going to pick up Picard after 20 years? Are they really gonna make a TNG spinoff with no Borg? Data died, right, let's do something with that. None of it is complicated.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah true. I think the scene with Uhura and Space Lincoln was a good point of comparison.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

large_gourd posted:

I was kind of waiting to see what Mike and Rich would have to say about this. It's pretty much what I expected from them.

I think them picking on things like Picard not caring about Data and the Picard Day banner is just poking holes where none really exist. Picard totally has a close relationship with Data, it wasn't on display all the time, but he defended him so many times and said he was one of if not the finest Starfleet officer he'd ever serve with. It was there - Data's best friend was Geordi, yeah, but this show isn't called Geordi and there's nothing wrong with highlighting Data and Picard's relationship. Onto the banner - Picard is old and obviously has had a lot of time to reflect and ruminate and it is completely expected he would get more sentimental about things exactly like the banner. He thinks his spacefaring days are over so all he can do is look back - that changes how you see things. They make fun of the banner not being destroyed/lost because maybe Troi kept it safe like that's a great joke but...that sounds like exactly something she would actually do and it isn't some central mystery that needs to be explained. The banner survived and Picard put it in his room of mementos, so what?

Their major complaint really, without which I feel like they'd never even bring up stuff like above, is the presentation of the Federation as essentially just modern day America and I can respect that a lot more because it's not just nitpicking over details which aren't even actually problems unless you need them to be, there's a vulnerability to that complaint. They want Star Trek to make them feel better, and not focus on how poo poo the world is now because hey - go anywhere else for that. They want a fictional universe where it all basically has worked out for humanity, to lull themselves to bed at night just envisioning that future - as simplistic and flawed as the execution may be, it's a nice idea.

I'm kind of on their side with that one. I don't want to watch reporters push racist agendas on Star Trek. It doesn't reveal anything about society, Star Trek is a mainstream TV show. You're not going to get commentary and analysis which teaches you anything new about that sort of thing unless you have actually never been exposed to it before. All you really do by adapting the Federation to become a futuristic USA is lose the appeal of the utopian idea, and then you're just dealing with another middling space opera.

It's only the first episode and I haven't made my mind up about this show yet, but yeah. Going the route of making the Federation as flawed as we are today was a misguided notion that shouldn't have been pursued. It isn't even like they were truly perfect, it's just that the problems were contained. They go way too big with this stuff and it just dilutes the whole concept.

:same:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It would be cool if Star Trek was about the future.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Federation has no money, no poverty, as of TNG there hadn't been a terrorist attack on Earth in over a century. People forget racism exists sometimes so that Sisko has to remind them. It's not space America. It went out of its way to contrast the Utopian future and the crapsack present many, many times through allegory. Star Trek has always embraced allegory, but it hadn't embraced cynicism until the 2000s. And it sucks and it has sucked for a long time.

Of course it's about the present, but it used to also be about the future. Making the 24th century the 21st century is a reflection of what IMO is a (one of many) societal disease(s) of our time: we can't imagine a future that isn't a disaster.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 27, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

woah what does data run on? Can't believe that never came up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Huh? What?