Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Does Katy t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m write for Lower Decks? *holds up spork*

The only person I've met who I think may enjoy this garbage is my brother-in-law who watches Norbit at least once a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
I really like the writing style of showing something but also simultaneously having to say it numerous times. HAHA Blast shield! HAHA Double fist punch! HAHA!!!

This is some hack poo poo.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Okay, let's forget the horrible non-humor we're force fed from this show and look at the "Star Trek" moral resolutions.

This latest episode one main character complains and rants against the authority she signed up to follow because her ego is horrible, and she only slightly turns away from her ego because she thinks a guy is attractive. Then at the end she dives right back into her ego. No improvement, no self reflection. The only character development she has is gaining lust.

Our other main character is somehow competently incompetent who can't get his foot out of his mouth, and his resolution is to "relax" by convincing the captain that it's okay to be lazy sometimes.

One of these plots is absolutely atrocious and the other would be okay if the rest of the show around it wasn't so terrible. The B plot here could have actually worked if the package it's in respected itself enough to not be so frenetic.

We're shown characters who complain about being treated as incompetent but the show only gives us evidence to prove why Starfleet would treat them as such. They are incompetent. They're all morally disgusting, horribly motivated, egotistical maniacs.

EDIT - I said B plot but then after posting I thought about it more, really that was the A plot but it was treated sort of as a B plot. This show is just bad.

Super Deuce fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 21, 2020

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Mooseontheloose posted:

Are you saying Q can't hit a curveball?

This show is terrible, so I entirely disagree with your opinion on it, but I do want to point out that this is an example of a referential joke that this show is so far incapable of. Saying "Deanna Troi!" isn't a referential joke yet these terrible writers treat it as such.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Phylodox posted:

What do you mean by a "referential" joke, though? The show has a wacky sense of humour, but I don't think it's shown any meta- tendencies. Like, they're not referencing William Shatner or Patrick Stewart, they seem fairly committed to maintaining the universal integrity of the franchise, so referencing the fact that Corbin Bernsen was in a movie with Charlie Sheen seems out of character. If you just mean the show referencing things that have happened earlier in the continuity, they've done that. The opener with the despotic energy orb is referencing, like, probably four or five episodes.

"Are you saying Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" is a line from the movie. It's not simply stating that Corbin Bernsen was in the movie and also played Q. It's not simply saying "HEY WEREN'T YOU Q?" like this show has done so far.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Phylodox posted:

It’s referencing something meta-textual, which is what I said. The show hasn’t shown any inclination towards that kind of humour. Is failing at something you aren’t attempting really failing?

They have made nothing but references without the jokes included. DOUBLE FIST PUNCH!!! That's not a joke. That's just doing it. Announcing it literally removes any potential humor from it. Hey remember this time the Enterprise did this? That's not a joke. Sulu used a sword! Isn't a joke.

If the show is trying to be a comedy and does nothing but references, if they aren't using those references towards the humor what are they for?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Phylodox posted:

There’s a difference between referencing things in-universe and referencing things meta-textually. Having Corbin Bernsen show up and someone say “Aw, we got the garbage Q!” is an in-universe reference, which they’ve done (both with direct call-outs and without). Having Corbin Bernsen show up and someone say “What’s this lawyer doing here?” is a meta-textual reference, which they haven’t done and have shown no tendencies towards.

It’s obvious you just don’t like the show and don’t think it’s funny, which is fine and subjective, but I just think it’s weird to accuse a show of not being able to do something it’s not trying to do (meta-textual humour) and count that as a failing.

I didn't say it's a joke that would work in the show. I'm saying it was an example of real referential humor. In this thread.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Phylodox posted:

You said it’s a joke the writers of the show are incapable of. So either you’re accusing them of not being able to do something they aren’t trying to do, or you’re accusing them of not being able to do something that they’ve done, but you ignored in favour of the jokes you didn’t like.

They're incapable of writing a joke. Any joke. I quoted an actual referential joke. To show what one is.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

The Bloop posted:

I'm not accusing you of lying about it or not wanting the best!

I mostly just feel bad for people irrationally angry at a silly comedy because it isn't the Best Thing Ever and making GBS threads up the thread with six paragraph diatribes about how the show is a waste of their time

Where are you getting that people are irrationally angry?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Yea, and what about that is being irrationally angry? Is this 4chan? Is this seriously a umad post because someone can critically think?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's a weird as hell thing to say man and sounds like you need to take a few breaths and step back a bit.

EDIT: Like, I get that you don't like the show and I understand why, but wow

No, it's a look at the characteristics of what the writers of this show have written. What's weird about analyzing the object of a thread on a discussion forum?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

It's not an analysis, it's a statement and one that's pretty excessive, and sounds pretty angry tho obviously tone is hard in text.

How is it not an analysis? What are you even talking about?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

The Bloop posted:

Oh my god please just stfu about it

I am sorry I ever posted about posting because I should have known what would happen

Make a post about star trek please

Is this to show us what being irrationally angry looks like?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Someone in these threads once made the very good point that most folks probably dislike Lwaxana because as a kid you don’t understand why this annoying horny lady is getting in the way of all the fun space adventure poo poo. But looking back as an adult she loving owns because she’s there specifically to make all these stuffy *~enlightened 24th century~* people as uncomfortable as possible.

Basically:

:hmmyes:

What about being an adult makes you admire someone whose goal is to make others uncomfortable?

I like Lwaxana but that's absolutely not why.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

The_Doctor posted:

Gone is the 22 episode television season, unless you’re on the CW or a Law & Order spin off. Which is a shame, I’d love to see a 22 ep season of Disco where they’ve got time to breathe.

Which is stupid, because Star Trek exists better in the low budget high episode count world than this Michael Bay-esque explosion fest we get now.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Kind of weird that goons are like one of the few communities I see not currently taking a poo poo on Lower Decks.

No idea what Internet you're on, but everywhere I've seen anybody not praising new Star Trek poo poo gets banned.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

CharlestheHammer posted:

Judging by the responses here and online I don’t think people get LD isn’t trying to be traditional ST and it’s breaking people’s minds

It’s not like discovery or Picard who still pretend they are Star Trek whole just being action schlock

I don't think you get it's not about being traditional or not. It's about it being quality or not. A comedy version of something isn't a mockery of it.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

CharlestheHammer posted:

I get it just fine, if you don’t find it funny that’s whatever comedy is subjective but people seem to think it’s going to be Star Trek with jokes. Which...it isn’t.

So let's get this straight.

An attempted Star Trek comedy series != Star Trek with jokes. What exactly is it, then?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Phylodox posted:

I basically just covered that in my post directly above yours. Star Trek is not traditionally a comedy series. Sure, it has comedic moments, but it has always had the tone and themes of a drama/adventure show. Star Trek, as it has always been, with jokes is The Orville; a drama/adventure show with jokes (in my opinion) unevenly inserted into the narrative. Lower Decks isn’t Star Trek with jokes. It’s a comedy show, with the themes, tone, pacing, and characters that come with that, set in the Star Trek continuity. It’s a very important distinction.

That's asinine, lol. If it's not Star Trek it's not Star Trek. The jokes part is what is meant to set it apart.

Also, nobody calls The Orville "Star Trek with jokes" to mean it's literally Star Trek. They say that to mean it's similarly set. Lower Decks is literally Star Trek with jokes. Well, so far without jokes, but that's their intention.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Phylodox posted:

I don’t know if it’s deliberate (I’m inclined to think it is, given your tone in this thread up til now), but you seem to have either misunderstood or mischaracterized everything I said.

The person I initially responded to literally said a Star Trek comedy series isn't a Star Trek series with jokes.

Whatever else you're trying to explain will never refute how stupid that is.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Phylodox posted:

I explained, quite clearly, how he was right. You countered by being needlessly pedantic and literal.

Then it's not Star Trek is it? I don't get how this is so complicated. You're saying a Star Trek series isn't Star Trek, but in some kind of positive way. You're gatekeeping in the dumbest way.

You're mistaking an elevator pitch with what it actually is.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Phylodox posted:

Again, you’re just being pointlessly literal. “It’s Star Trek because Star Trek is in the name!!!”, ignoring that Star Trek has had an established genre and (admittedly looser) tone since before many of us were born. This show is the first big departure from that genre and tone, hence it’s not “Star Trek”.

"It was important to me that if you know everything about Star Trek and you watch this show then it fits into canon and doesn’t break Star Trek" - Mike McMahon, show runner Star Trek: Lower Decks

"Within Lower Decks, there is a proper in-canon Star Trek show." Another one.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Phylodox posted:

This is like talking to a brick wall. I’m talking about tone, genre, and characterization and you’re countering with quotes about continuity. Nothing you just quoted contradicts, or even really speaks to what I’ve said. Yes, Lower Decks could technically slot into the Star Trek timeline without causing any major contradictions. The show itself, however, is wildly different from any of the other shows.

If you took a season of The Next Generation and slotted in an episode of Lower Decks it would, in fact, break the show.

So it’s like... Star Trek with jokes?

I agree with you that it’s not “Star Trek” but the goal is that it is. You just don’t know the difference between a pitch description and reality.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

CharlestheHammer posted:

I’m geniunely asking, do you not know what tone is? Like the TNG movies have a genuinely different tone to what the show was. Nothing to with continuity poo poo, they are functionally different properties

So you’re now going to make an argument that the Star Trek movies aren’t Star Trek?

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Do you not understand the point the poster was making?

Lower Decks is garbage but the goal of it is still to be Star Trek. It’s quite literally Star Trek with jokes, which the initial claim we’re talking about denies. Do you not understand their claim is insane? Star Trek isn’t a “tone”.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Phylodox posted:

I have no problem with that because I don’t bother trying to make Lower Decks work within the context of the actual Star Trek continuity. Like I said, just imagine that it’s a television show within the context of the Star Trek universe. It works fine that way.

Seriously, if Patrick Stewart ever did do a guest spot on this show, do you think he’d be playing a character recognizable as the Jean-Luc Picard from Next Generation? Or would he be a loose caricature thereof? It would be like Obama guest hosting Saturday Night Live or something.

You keep saying it's not part of the continuity except the show runner and writers all explicitly have stated their goal is for it to be part of the continuity.

Mariner, the character, really hates Starfleet. She's the tumblr version of Ensign Ro.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Phylodox posted:

Again, continuity is not tone or genre etc. And even if it were, I don’t care. Why does that matter in the slightest?

You literally said... Man, it's hopeless. You'll defend the nonsense of this show regardless.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

twistedmentat posted:

That's what I assumed was being bleeped.

I did like how all the stuff the Senior Staff does for fun is considering extra boring and annoying.

You mean the joke of mocking everything we've seen other crews for recreation? How funny!!

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

The_Doctor posted:

It’s hilarious because what the TNG bridge crew do for fun is incredibly stuffy and dull.

Sure, I guess... if you need to be bombarded with stimuli constantly.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Snow Cone Capone posted:

this kind of thinly-veiled "if you think this is funny you are not as smart as I am" commentary sucks rear end, man. You could very easily have responded to this without the accusatory tone. There's been plenty of people discussing their negative opinions of the show ITT without the pointless hostility.

Saying people playing poker and appreciating concerts is stuffy and boring sucks rear end, too.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Do you not see the difference between that opinion and yours?

hint: saying "the officers recreational time tends to be spent on boring stuff" isn't a dig against you. Saying "this is only funny if you require constant stimulation" and "only my idiot kid brother would enjoy this" is a dig against people who do like the show.

If you can't articulate your opinion without being lovely at other people, I dunno what to tell you.

It's a dig against bad writing. Because this show has bad writing. This show is supposed "made for" teenagers, not about them. Mariner is one of the worst written characters TV has ever had.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
There are literally modern projectile weapons in Star Trek. Ezri’s DBZ scouter episode. They’re badass.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
These cold opens and "references" really need to go away. It's the writing equivalent of a Youtube comment on a music video typing out the lyrics to the song.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
We've literally seen the holodeck used for training before. Acting like it's some revelation is bizarre.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I didn't say it was a revelation, I said Rutherford made a good point, and that it's rarely explored.

It's really not a good point, then. It's only a good point if it'd only be used for recreation. It's just another bad list of references in place of humor.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Snow Cone Capone posted:

wait are you arguing that because "rarely" doesn't equal "never" that it's not a good observation? Like because we have seen the holodeck used for training a few times in an ocean of Mark Twain simulations, that saying "hey the holodeck is good for all sorts of stuff!" is a dumb point? I genuinely cannot parse what you're trying to say here.

I thought it was when Rutherford smacks Badgey to get him to load faster that was the trigger for return violence.

When a TV show is self referencing as if it never happens, yes. It's a bad observation.

It'd be like if in Joanie Loves Chachi someone elbowed a juke box and the joke is treating it as if it has never worked ever.

References aren't jokes. TV isn't Tumblr.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Snow Cone Capone posted:

e: you know what nevermind, I'm just going to enjoy the show and discuss it with the other people who do ITT

Tiggum posted:

We've seen it enough to infer that it's actually used for training quite often, we just don't see it because it's usually not very interesting. Like, we don't have to see Barry Allen tidying up his house at super speed in every episode of The Flash to realise that he probably does it off-screen all the time, because we've seen him do it at least once.

So yes, it's a dumb point that makes no sense from that character.

Isn’t it funny that we as fans think it’s funny that Worf gets denied often. It sure would be great if the universe acknowledged us as TV viewers.

It’s really frustrating this is what TV has become. Self references to “reward” fans of their “knowledge” of something. Film and TV is an artistic medium but instead we’re shovel fed this faux gratification bullshit to make fans think they’re part of it. Imagine if Frasier made a joke about Niles and Daphne being a Sam and Diane. Hahahah get it, because we use that as a term for potential TV couplings, wouldn’t it be funny if Frasier did it! Hey Chachi be careful not to jump that shark *wink*.

Hey guys this is like a Q when something blah blah blah, despite in universe very few are meant to know of Q, but because we the viewer know of it, they have to reference it for jokes. It’s honestly the laziest garbage style of writing that I can’t believe people seem to enjoy. Haha they cum in the holodeck!!!!! These are only jokes at best when talking about the show, not in the drat show.

They could write actual jokes that aren’t just telling us out of universe observations of itself, but instead this. This show is honestly a Reddit thread in cartoon form.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

socialsecurity posted:

Why are very few meant to know of Q? It's a godlike being known to gently caress with Federation ships including the flagship multiple times. It would be insane if every single Starfleet person did not know of Q.

Because it’s what the universe has established.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

socialsecurity posted:

Where/When was this ever mentioned?

When Sisko mentioned to Kira he heard of him in a briefing and she and Jadzia both look dumbfounded. Kira isn’t Starfleet sure, but Jadzia being having no clue means something. Same as the fact Sisko has to mention he only knew of him from a briefing and has to defer to someone with direct experience with him.

But it’s okay because we saw it on TV so it makes total sense for it to be a joke to say Hahahah Q over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

socialsecurity posted:

One character didn't know 15 years prior in universe, is the basis of your scathing essays against this cartoon show. Take a step back man and look at what you are doing.

Being honest about how bad the writing is? Is that what I should take a step back from? Because something is a cartoon gives it an excuse for being bad?

Oh btw in that Voyager episode it starts with only Janeway knowing who or what Q is.

The point is that saying Q!!! isn’t a drat joke. It’s like you didn’t read anything else in the post.

Listing things we, the viewer, have seen that can be considered silly isn’t a joke. This show has had no jokes yet.

Edit - how long before a joke about lizards maybe being future people and someone else says to ignore that happened?

Super Deuce fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Sep 11, 2020