Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
So I didn't notice anyone else in the thread asking this, but when Zhaban said "they killed the alarm" was he talking about Number One? Please tell me that the best boy in Starfleet is okay :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Amy stuff usually dragged in Kif and thus Zapp Brannigan though, so that was always fun. If Lower Decks follows the same trajectory as Futurama did re-watching the first episode after the season ends will make it seem a hell of a lot better because we've had time to learn the characters and understand the jokes as being derived from their traits. Like even the name dropping by Mariner is now funnier, because it's the kind of thing she'd do. She's done poo poo so of course she just casually mentions all the famous people as if they're personal friends.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nullsmack posted:

Oh yeah, Neelix cooking was 100% explained away as the replicators use too much power, which they rationed and still used them anyways. And the Holodecks had their own power system that was incompatible with anything else on the ship. No, that doesn't make any sense either. They could have said that the impulse engines have fusion power generators that produce enough power to run everything but warp drive, shields and weapons. And they're going to run out of antimatter in a few years which will leave them stranded without warp drive and so on and had to deal with that.
When I was eleven years old watching Voyager my question was "why don't they just use the holodeck to run a generator and hook up some jumper cables?". I enjoyed Voyager at the time, but that's the kind of question you don't want people asking.

ETA: this was made worse by my "why don't they just use bullets on the Borg?" question being answerd in First Contact with "turns out everyone in Starfleet is dumber than you".

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Doesn't it just mean that you turned across traffic and got t-boned by a truck?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Nullsmack posted:

That just reminds me of this scene from Stargate SG1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGiSNPYj_iU&t=30s
I mean 11 year old me just envisioned M60-likes with a replicator backpack feeding the belt and a shell collector to partially recycle the energy but I guess that's less sophisticated than "make the light angry and send it that way"?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's the counter-intuitive endpoint of phasers being magic, FTL existing, and somehow matter/antimatter annihilation energy release weapons not overloading any possible energy barrier that could be erected. You need an obstacle to be scary so you invalidate the protagonist's usual tools, but those tools would be literally infinite power in reality so... yeah. Silliness.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Phylodox posted:

I mean, it's 100% likely that the Borg have encountered projectile weapons before, having assimilated thousands of civilizations. I figure their adaptation must be temporary, otherwise they'd very quickly just be immune to everything. Maybe modulating their shields takes up a lot of processing power or something, so they only keep whatever weapons they've encountered within the immediate past in their buffer or whatever.
With what Enterprise showed us my reading of how it stands now is that stopping projectiles is difficult. Deflector dishes are used to push debris out of the ship's path at warp speed rather than face tanking it, so presumably the Borg just can't pack the required shield power into a drone, let them get shot and just rely on the nanites to repair what can be repaired.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

socialsecurity posted:

Where/When was this ever mentioned?
The opposite was established: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BVFW4nugkc

ETA: in the beta-canon autobiography of Picard he says that he and Dr Crusher agreed to invite Q to their wedding because if they hadn't then he'd just have shown up anyway. Then there's a footnote from Q saying that they're right, he would have. Then there's an footnote from the editor saying they don't know how the previous footnote got into the document, and they can't get it out.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 11, 2020

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Payndz posted:

By the time of Lower Decks, Q is no longer anon.
This isn't a joke because we don't know that Qanon existed in the Star Trek universe because we never saw anyone say so on screen :agesilaus:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Super Deuce posted:

But Ready Player One references make sense in the story because they're the viewer having seen those things.

Rutherford listing things we saw in TNG episodes isn't a good reference. It's to congratulate the viewer for remembering a scene they once saw. It's not the same thing. Like I said multiple posts ago, it's the equivalent of the youtube comment quoting lyrics of the song you're listening to.
This may be the dumbest take on Ready Player One I have ever seen.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Super Deuce posted:

What take? That it makes sense for the character who is a fan of other pop culture things to references those things in his life? As opposed to a character having zero experience with what Geordi and Data did for leisure on a ship they weren’t part of? Like... one of these makes sense for a reference to be shown on screen. The other clearly doesn’t.

We aren’t Boimler, Mariner, etc. We are, however, Parsival. Boimler hasn’t seen all of Star Trek to make references to specific things only the viewer would know. Unlike the characters in Ready Player One who have literally seen Back to the Future so when they drive a DeLorean around it makes sense.

Legitimately don’t get how this is controversial at all. It’s basic story telling. Having motivation for what a character knows.
You said "the viewer" not "the character". Then you contradicted yourself by saying that it was good when Ready Player One did it, but bad when Lower Decks did it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Statutory Ape posted:

starting a petition for this persons next 200 posts ITT to be Morn quotes
Could we inflict a :toxx: somehow?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Payndz posted:

I'd been wondering how old Mariner is supposed to be to have experienced all this crazy stuff yet still be in the same age range as relative and actual newbie officers like Boimler and Tendi, and it struck me: maybe she was a Wesley and Freeman was on the Enterprise's night shift. It's a decade in-show since the D was destroyed, but Mariner doesn't come across as 10 years-plus older than her bunkmates. (If she is and she's still acting the way she does, that's... kinda sad and pathetic.)
I get the impression that she was a kid on the D where her parents were deployed, and then served on the E herself? Maybe?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Super Deuce was talking about diegetic vs non-diegetic references, it was a pretty simple point and it's honestly weird that so many people in the thread struggled to understand it.

(E: it's also part of what makes the show Rick-and-Morty-esque, they do fourth-wall-breaking gags on that show all the time.)
All of the references are diegetic in both works. The difference is his insistince that nobody would have heard of things that happened on the most famous ship in the fleet, a ship they have been on. Equally, all of the references have non-diegetic motivation. In the case of Lower Decks it is to quickly and pretty lazily draw links between the show and the others which take place in the same fictional continuity. In Ready Player One it is to convey the idea that contextless references are good and that you, the viewer, are smart and good for collecting and hoarding trivia.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They're works of fiction, bud. Everything in them has a non-diegetic motivation.
This was a useful point to make.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MichiganCubbie posted:

My avatar like ten years ago was the VHS game's knock-off Gowron saying "You, the poster who is typing now: Experience BIJ!"
I have not played this game in literal decades but I totally want to try again now.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

xerxus posted:

ViacomCBS wants to roll out their service globally, and CBS is not a well known brand outside of America.

I think it makes sense and is better than CBS All Access as a name.
A couple of years ago I found the Paramount offices while wandering around London and even though the closest they got to making a thing I care about is probably having a phonecall with Sky to broadcast Star Trek it was still nice to find it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Snow Cone Capone posted:

e: the way they developed Picard's character is a bit weird in retrospect because everyone remembers him as 'the Diplomat Captain' yet his backstory of how he got promoted is an absolutely metal 'my ship was getting blown up in a battle and half the crew were dead and I took charge of the shattered bridge and on the spot invented the battle tactic of charging the enemy point black and alpha striking him'. I almost want to see a do-over of TNG where they leant a bit more into the idea that Picard is getting the flagship precisely because he's seen his share of blood spilt and is at a point where he doesn't want to see any more (to counter-balance the officers who are all young go-getters who want to make a name for themselves with the Federation's most powerful ship).
The whole thing is kind of weird anyway. He's promoted from helm to captain, but he was second officer while on the helm? Also he was first officer somewhere else, somehow?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That was a weird-rear end situation where they decided to crew the half-finished flagship with cadets "because emergency".

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Snow Cone Capone posted:

MemAlpha's got u covered fam
That doesn't actually clear it up, it just sort of finds a way for him to have been his own first officer while still a Commander.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Snow Cone Capone posted:

First/second officer aren't ranks, so a Commander can be either first or second officer, or also captain.

He was 2O on the Stargazer, but took command during the battle, at which point, because he was commanding the ship, was called "Captain" according to naval tradition, but his actual rank was probably Lieutenant Commander, with a first officer Commander (who presumably was also killed during the battle). Afterwards he was promoted to Commander and given the position of First Officer on the Stargazer, and then eventually promoted to Captain in both rank and positon.

e: it's confusing since the article talks about naval tradition, but IIRC when Riker or Crusher take the conn, the others don't refer to them as Captain (I might be wrong though)
Alright so you're confusing a few things here and I wasn't as clear as I should have been. The person with the conn isn't the captain, they're the "conning officer" (or "flight controller" in the Memory Alpha quote) and are always junior. The idea is that the captain says "go to Vulcan" and the conn says "helm: lay in course for Vulcan, chief engineer: MORE DOGS!" etc. and does the granular poo poo while avoiding confusion about where orders are coming from. However, IRL the captain can always just take the conn so... yeah. In Star Trek due to tech, the conn is synonymous with the helm. There's no point in the captain saying "go to Vulcan" and the conn then telling the helm about the dogs etc, just make the helm the conn. Job done. This leads to the weirdness of it switching from left hand drive to right hand drive between TOS and TNG, with the navigation being rolled into helm and ops sitting where helm was because... :shrug:

What we can assume from the details we've got is that Picard, as helm officer, had the conn when the captain was incapacitated. He then took it upon himself to issue his own orders and did whatever. This being "bold", he can't have been first (XO) or second (Star Trek invention) officer at the time, unless both of those were killed or not on the bridge. Based on what he says, it wasn't that special anyway, so perhaps it was his flying that was bold? Either way, it gets him command of it. Memory Alpha says he retained command for 22 years, so we're left with him somehow managing to cram a first officer position into what remained of 2333, or we have to assume he ended up getting busted down to first officer again on someone else's ship in 2353 for losing the Stargazer before we know he was in command of something else in 2363.

Which actually might end up being the most sensible explanation, were someone to want to canonise it. "The USS Hood's first officer got alien crotch-worms. You're replacing him until we decide if you're going to space jail over this maybe starting a war". The real reason is likely "we forgot".

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Super Deuce posted:

Umad cry moar! All because someone doesn’t think the thing you like is good. Hostility.

No but we saw Jellico do that once so as a reward for people who saw TNG we’ll say his name. Please clap.
Complaining about references with a reference that only the terminally online will get.
:golfclap:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm mildly amused by the knots that people on all sides of the line tie themselves into to try and rationalize and justify why an entity like the Terran Empire still exists in any capacity operating on the system it did as established by Mirror, Mirror and why it hadn't collapsed into chaos long before it even got to where it was in TOS. At least DS9 was like "Yeah, it's a failed state now because everyone just killed one another and it turns out that's really bad for the basic infrastructure of a civilization."
I kind of hate the Mirror Universe as a thing, but I enjoyed some of what Discovery did with it. Until it lasted several episodes longer than was interesting and just got boring.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I gotta say man, at this point I sincerely believe you are being deliberately obtuse about this.
Ever since the "please clap" reference I'm pretty sure it's a bit.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HD DAD posted:

Huh. Apparently there’s reports of season 4 of Disco already filming.
Wasn't there something about seasons 3 and 4 filming back-to-back for some stuff?

socialsecurity posted:

Oh my god who gives a gently caress about references.
The Joke Police, apparently?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Marshal Radisic posted:

Meanwhile we spent all that time with Narek and Narissa, who seem to be the result of someone in the writer's room saying "hey, what if we just remade Zuko and Azula from AtLA, but without any of the qualities that made either of those characters interesting or sympathetic?" I also don't understand why they established Narissa as having the "Lt. Rizzo" cover identity, since she never actually uses it after her introduction.
That was to establish that Romulan intelligence has thoroughly infiltrated Star Fleet intelligence and has cover identities out the wazoo that they can just burn at the drop of a robo-hat. Commodore wossname did it too.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, having watched it today it's... not the most obvious what she was supposed to have said.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

CharlestheHammer posted:

Most sane people think it was gently caress, because you probably aren’t going to see the other word on non prestige tv again
Man you loving said it right here.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well that’s my point, your never going to be ahead of it. Is that self evident? Sure but you brought it up not me
If that was your point then why didn't you say it?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm impressed that at the end of episode one I was thinking "that was okay", and by the end of episode ten I am totally on the "best Star Trek in decades" bandwagon .

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

tarlibone posted:

Yeah, we already had this whole conversation. Long story short, I was mixing it up with the one where they go see God with Spock's brother, because both movies came out close together and I saw them both at the theater.

I guess the word "final" being in The Final Frontier's title corrupted the memory file in my brain of Star Trek movies. So my mind said, "Final? Must have been the final movie, then, or at least the movie they all assumed would be the final one. Oh wait... didn't they put their autographs on the movie that was supposed to be the final movie? OK, that means the one you want to forget was the final movie--right there in the title--and that's the one with the signatures. File | Save As... | STARTR~5.FRT".
I had that problem for a while too.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yes, and?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you're expecting it to get blown up the first time it gets into range then you don't need repair crews, logistics crew, shuttles, sensors, and probably a half dozen other space-jobs. Just enough people to make sure the warp engines don't explode on the way to the fight, then enough sensors crew to get a target lock, a helmsman or two to drive it, one tactical officer to press "fire", and someone to be in charge.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MikeJF posted:

IIRC from my teenage years, in the book he knows of the transient, momentary weak spot because he can hear the borg consciousness being aware that shields and defences are about to collapse and restart at a certain point and he's waiting for the exact single second of vulnerability.
That implies there's some borg gubbinz still in his brain.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Bloop posted:

Eh

Long range psychic powers exist in Trek

How could the Borg NOT be latently psychic
That raises the question of why does everyone else not hear it? So...

The Bloop posted:

add it to the pile

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Phylodox posted:

Residual Borg nanoreceptors in Picard's left frontal lobe. Solved.
Which is what that psychic abilities was a response to avoid, so you've just gone back to the start of the circle.

The Bloop posted:

I mean I guess it technically does but trek psychic powers aren't usually just broadcasts, they are narrow band unless someone is having space menopause or space Alzheimer's or whatever

Picard's brain learned the frequency so it's like he's listening to a crackly borg police scanner through a baby monitor, not something everyone can hear
Actually that works. He's got the psychic decryption code whereas everyone else just gets a wash of "bad feeling" from them. Goon hivemind success!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MikeJF posted:

I'm pretty sure that in their first appearance, regeneration was meant to be powered by kind of psychic efforts, not so much a special species one as that kind of 80s 'when you get that many minds focused on something in unison with infinite will they can affect things" idea.

Like, it's said in dialogue that when they're damaged they all go into their pods and "focus their collective will on repairing the ship".
Or they just need the processing power of more brains to direct nanites :shrug:

Powered Descent posted:

The sloped shoulders make everyone look like they're slouching all the time.

(Also, what is going on with those wizard-robe-sleeves-over-normal-sleeves?)
My take on that uniform is that it's the needlessly fancy dress version for when you're testifying in front of a "Joint Chiefs" level committee about that thing you want them to do.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

mr. unhsib posted:

I just realized that Burnham doesn't know that Romulans are a Vulcan off-shoot. Hope that gets addressed in-episode.
"So the Vromulans have been out of contact since Starda..."
"What's a "Vromulan"? Where are they from?"
"So you're gonna want to sit down for this." *slides tissues across table*

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

skasion posted:

Corollary to this, if some guy started driving a battleship around claiming to be a 16th century Castilian out to reestablish the empire of Charles V, we would rightly see him and his project as dangerous and insane.
If it was a period-appropriate battleship then he'd get exactly one (1) surprise fight against an unprepared civilian ship or port, and then the most impoverished navy in the world would light it up with M2HBs and that's that. A fun weird story to talk about like Felix von Luckner during WWI to those who care about niche history, but otherwise irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

skasion posted:

Ah, but due to its superpowers the Disco was stricken from the historical record and never spoken of again. So it’s like if he was sailing around in a galleon that could also launch Exocets.
So... uh... you should totally go read about Felix von Luckner.