Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Pakistani politics posted:

Does anyone else fear another wave or bump or something related to people getting the vaccine and then going, "gently caress you, got mine" and then going maskless? I'm thinking around the 75% (of total americans) mark. Ripping off their masks with gusto in an attempt to return to "normal." And loving over everyone else in the process.

I'm not sure how effective you think the vaccines will be at preventing spread. Reads like you think they won't do any good?

The thing is, they probably will help. It's been unclear for a long time, but early results from the Scottish and Israeli studies are looking good: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-vaccine-effectiveness-preventing-infection-key-return-normalcy/

And even if vaccinated people are just 50% less likely to be contagious, then them being vaccinated is A LOT better than them being unvaccinated but wearing a mask. Masks are, and have always been, a stopgap measure that sort-of-works to limit the viral load for short indoors exposures. Masks were never all that effective at preventing spread from an actively contagious person, indoors. Just slightly better.

So, my point is, even if everyone who is vaccinated started going mask-less, the spread of the disease will slow down compared to before they got their shots. At about 60-80% vaccinated, the disease will die out due to herd immunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Inject me with all the vaccines at once like a cocktail of resilience

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Personally I would just like to get one, any of them, so that in September when we open the doors to the students because of the politics, I would not be the one to get my name on the memorial wall at the university main hall.

I just know that we will open up as business as usual in September; unfortunately my vaccination plan tells me I am "first shot maybe in May, and late Summer/Fall for the 2nd shot" because of the piss-poor trickle of vaccinations to our country.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Der Kyhe posted:

Personally I would just like to get one, any of them, so that in September when we open the doors to the students because of the politics, I would not be the one to get my name on the memorial wall at the university main hall.

I just know that we will open up as business as usual in September; unfortunately my vaccination plan tells me I am "first shot maybe in May, and late Summer/Fall for the 2nd shot" because of the piss-poor trickle of vaccinations to our country.

Yeah my partner works in the disability services dept of our community college and they're gearing up to go back in September as well. They're making platitudes like promising regular cleanings and social distancing which is the usual theater but also suggested plexiglas shields for them to put on their desks while meeting students. I'm like unless those are like hockey penalty boxes that extend to the ceiling and you have your own ventilation in there I'm not sure that'll do much in a small office with the door closed. Fortunately it's looking like we might get vaccinated by then so it's less alarming but I'm still amazed with how little plan there seems to be other than "open 'er up".

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

explosivo posted:

Gov. Wolf is easing the restrictions in PA today, I hate how this reads like a "Mission Accomplished" type message from him.

https://twitter.com/GovernorTomWolf/status/1366425935835201536?s=20
https://twitter.com/GovernorTomWolf/status/1366425939966590981?s=20

Bruh,

Currently daily cases in PA are still as bad as they were November 1st.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

explosivo posted:

Gov. Wolf is easing the restrictions in PA today, I hate how this reads like a "Mission Accomplished" type message from him.

https://twitter.com/GovernorTomWolf/status/1366425935835201536?s=20
https://twitter.com/GovernorTomWolf/status/1366425939966590981?s=20

Don't worry, the fire department's on the way, I can hear the sirens, so it's safe to go back inside the house now!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Oslo just kicked off Lockdown3 as the tiny, <2 week lockdown we had at the end of january predictably did not cure covid forever. The (B117 I assume) mutant strain has become dominant here already, and they're shutting things down again for the next 2 weeks.
And of course there is still no policy that everyone has to use a mask in public, and high schools etc are still semi-open, just with 'mass' testing as if that matters at all.

Unlike lockdown2, they are keeping the wine-monopolies open, because when they closed those down in lockdown2, it only lead to people queuing up at wine-monopolies in the neighbouring, un-lockdowned counties. :nallears:

It took less than a month and a half from the mutant strain to go from 'an occasional case here and there' to becoming the dominant strain here, which is insane.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I'm not sure how effective you think the vaccines will be at preventing spread. Reads like you think they won't do any good?

The thing is, they probably will help. It's been unclear for a long time, but early results from the Scottish and Israeli studies are looking good: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-vaccine-effectiveness-preventing-infection-key-return-normalcy/

And even if vaccinated people are just 50% less likely to be contagious, then them being vaccinated is A LOT better than them being unvaccinated but wearing a mask. Masks are, and have always been, a stopgap measure that sort-of-works to limit the viral load for short indoors exposures. Masks were never all that effective at preventing spread from an actively contagious person, indoors. Just slightly better.

So, my point is, even if everyone who is vaccinated started going mask-less, the spread of the disease will slow down compared to before they got their shots. At about 60-80% vaccinated, the disease will die out due to herd immunity.

The messaging should continue to be to wear masks, and you are very, very wrong about masks not being effective at reducing viral load and transmission.

There is no shortage of literature, new and old.

How are you so loudly wrong about this one loving year in?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I wonder what results for N95/KN95/other filter masks look like if worn incorrectly (beard / misaligned / whatever).

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

withak posted:

I wonder what results for N95/KN95/other filter masks look like if worn incorrectly (beard / misaligned / whatever).

The different shading represents gap vs fitted in the above graphic. (From https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.12.03.20243063v1.full )

There is an enormous body literature on ppe effectiveness for all their rated scenarios, including facial hair studies; if you want the protection of any rated masks, you pretty much have to be shaved.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 1, 2021

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, fortunately we are finally past the point of pure speculation on this. We've had a few studies now showing significant reductions in asymptomatic cases among vaccinated people. It'll be a while before we have better numbers but so far it looks pretty great.

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
Who else is still wiping everything down in 2021? :thumbsup:

I still remember being at the grocery store almost a year ago now —without a mask— filling up an entire cart to the brim to “stock up for the oncoming apocalypse.” That day they had announced that all restaurants would close down, so I added another Nutella to the cart because why not be happy in quarantine! It took us about an hour and a half to sort through and clean everything. What a weird time to be alive.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I am still wiping everything down, or setting it aside in a safe place for 2-3 days. Anything from outside of the house that comes in gets either sanitized or set aside. Sure, maybe I’m going overboard, but if I did get the virus and it was due to me not cleaning something, I’d be pretty mad at myself.

What worries me is I’m struggling to think when I might get back to “normal”. Even if I was fully vaccinated, I’d still be worried I could possibly still infect someone else as an asymptomatic carrier.

Edit: VVV yeah, I know it's quite rare that it could happen, and thank you for posting that. But everything I'm sanitizing has been recently touched by someone else (mail delivery, checkout clerk, food delivery), so even though it's a slim chance, it's something I have control over, which is getting less and less VVV

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Mar 1, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kragger99 posted:

I am still wiping everything down, or setting it aside in a safe place for 2-3 days. Anything from outside of the house that comes in gets either sanitized or set aside. Sure, maybe I’m going overboard, but if I did get the virus and it was due to me not cleaning something, I’d be pretty mad at myself.

What worries me is I’m struggling to think when I might get back to “normal”. Even if I was fully vaccinated, I’d still be worried I could possibly still infect someone else as an asymptomatic carrier.

The early reports of fomite transmission were based on insane viral loads being placed on things, sometimes with basically a growth medium for viruses.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7333993/

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The early reports of fomite transmission were based on insane viral loads being placed on things, sometimes with basically a growth medium for viruses.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7333993/

I've been fastidious about masking up around anyone outside my household. I can't count the number of times I accidentally touched my face when in my car by myself and sans hand sanitizer. Really glad fomite transmission isn't as big as it was initially assumed to be or I'd be up a creek

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Lol, my boss just shared a screenshotted slack conversation with the whole team where he said "if only I could get my people to come to work every day..." and "feels like I need to make an appointment to get my people to come to work" while discussing the status of a project to someone asking for an update. When I called him out on being a loving dick for no reason he said he used that as an excuse to explain why we need more time on the project. I'd be willing to believe that if I didn't already know the dude resents everybody for not coming to the office. I interviewed for a position in a different department today. Hope that comes through because I'm sick of this poo poo.

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

Lol, my boss just shared a screenshotted slack conversation with the whole team where he said "if only I could get my people to come to work every day..." and "feels like I need to make an appointment to get my people to come to work" while discussing the status of a project to someone asking for an update. When I called him out on being a loving dick for no reason he said he used that as an excuse to explain why we need more time on the project. I'd be willing to believe that if I didn't already know the dude resents everybody for not coming to the office. I interviewed for a position in a different department today. Hope that comes through because I'm sick of this poo poo.

yeah, my boss told all of us after a 2.5 month work from home that if she had to come back, so did we. It was her decision to bring us back or not. I resigned and two weeks later someone was positive, tiny little office with no ventilation and masks were a joke, she tried to justify it by saying she was getting hand sanitizer!

gently caress middle management

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Getting Pfizer shot #2 on Wednesday, hopefully going on a celebratory park trip/diamond hunt the day after! :toot:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

explosivo posted:

Maybe stop being so selfish and see it from his point of view? He's got no lackeys to boss around, no way to exercise his authority.

Sad, if u ask me

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I think someone mentioned in this thread the middle of last year that companies might be hopefully starting to realize how worthless middle management is. (they probably aren't)

I was younger and didn't really care but I went directly to the director when I needed anything because my boss was completely useless. She didn't even know what I did lol.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I haven't done the whole wiping down groceries/quarantining them thing, but my grocery store hygiene was already rigorous. I have used the disinfecting wipes to clean the shopping cart handle for years, and on those occasions where the store doesn't provide them or ran out then my mind shifts over to thinking like I was handling turds with my bare hands. Shopping cart handles are vile, according to the research, so I was already tuned to thinking of the grocery store as a place to be germ-aware.

I've conditioned myself to only use my pinky finger on point-of-sale machines, and for years have used my ring finger to open doors if I absolutely had to touch them on the basis I don't tend to touch my face with it. I also habitually washed my hands after getting back from the store and before unloading groceries, so that was already in place.

The only real differences in my shopping habits have been to try to reduce trips (the grocery store is maybe 2 blocks from me, if that, so it was way too easy to just run over as I needed something instead of plan ahead) and always wear a mask. Otherwise it's been weird seeing other people start doing the same things I've been doing for many years.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

smoobles posted:

It's wild to me how the case average leveled off AND did it so abruptly... Wondering if we hit some kind of baseline level of transmission, but accelerated into the baseline due to the olds getting vaccinated.

I guess there's no way to know without granular case data by age.

wilderthanmild posted:

That's likely an aberration of the data from the snowstorms a couple weeks ago. Texas in particular was massively underreporting because it was hard for people to get tests, and when they did get tests it wasn't being reported quickly at all. So briefly it made the downward slope way steeper than it actually was. Then when states impacted the worst started to catch up, it combined to make it look like a steep slope followed by a sharp levelling off.

Compare states that either weren't hit by the snow storms, like California, or aren't crippled by cold/snow like Ohio to states that were like Texas or Louisiana. You'll see the former ones following a more gradual levelling, but still downward trend. You'll see the latter ones with a very sharp decrease around Valentine's day followed by big bump as reporting began to catch up.

I think this is also what made some people start saying there is a "new surge", but it's probably just data being fucky due to outside conditions.

Yeah if you look at the reported cases graph from Texas you can see a sudden drop and then recovery that neatly fits the snow storms exactly. There's also a sudden rise just before Thanksgiving when people were getting tested for travel and then a sudden drop when a lot the testing/reporting closed down for the holiday. There's a similar drop in reported cases during Christmas.

If you compare that to the graph for the entire US there's clear nation-wide dips for Thanksgiving and Christmas but the Texas snowstorm dip is much less pronounced, and the bounce back looks like a brief leveling off:

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I think someone mentioned in this thread the middle of last year that companies might be hopefully starting to realize how worthless middle management is. (they probably aren't)

I was younger and didn't really care but I went directly to the director when I needed anything because my boss was completely useless. She didn't even know what I did lol.

You've also got the computer toucher authoritarians in IT who are champing at the bit to get everyone back in a single office to simplify their network concerns.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

You've also got the computer toucher authoritarians in IT who are champing at the bit to get everyone back in a single office to simplify their network concerns.

Our IT guys had a ticket system set up when our Oracle (WHOREacle!!!! ) hosed up. I didn't use that either. I went and talked to them. If you use the ticket system it'll take a week or more. If you talk to them it takes an hour or so.

I doubt anyone liked what I did but I was very good at my job. I solely held a bunch of our international relationships and was the only point of contact. I worked for a huge music company.

I got fired for showing up 5 minutes late a few too many times. Then everyone got laid off 2 months later.

edit: that's unrelated to your statement, I just saw IT and it reminded me of the lack of usefulness of management again. Oh, and my friend is a network guy and worked at home on call all the time even before the pandemic lol. You don't need to be there all the time.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 2, 2021

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

this post reminded me of one of my favourite text files, which i will now quote

quote:

KNOW YOUR UNIX SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR-- A FIELD GUIDE

There are four major species of Unix sysad:

1) The TECHNICAL THUG. Usually a systems programmer who has been
forced into system administration; writes scripts in a polyglot of the
Bourne shell, sed, C, awk, perl, and APL.

2) The ADMINISTRATIVE FASCIST. Usually a retentive drone (or rarely,
a harridan ex-secretary) who has been forced into system
administration.

3) The MANIAC. Usually an aging cracker who discovered that neither
the Mossad nor Cuba are willing to pay a living wage for computer
espionage. Fell into system administration; occasionally approaches
major competitors with indesp schemes.

4) The IDIOT. Usually a cretin, morpohodite, or old COBOL programmer
selected to be the system administrator by a committee of cretins,
morphodites, and old COBOL programmers.

HOW TO IDENTIFY YOUR SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR:

---------------- SITUATION: Low disk space. ----------------

TECHNICAL THUG: Writes a suite of scripts to monitor disk
usage, maintain a database of historic disk usage, predict future disk
usage via least squares regression analysis, identify users who are
more than a standard deviation over the mean, and send mail to the
offending parties. Places script in cron. Disk usage does not
change, since disk-hogs, by nature, either ignore script-generated
mail, or file it away in triplicate.

ADMINISTRATIVE FASCIST: Puts disk usage policy in motd. Uses
disk quotas. Allows no exceptions, thus crippling development work.
Locks accounts that go over quota.

MANIAC:
# cd /home
# rm -rf `du -s * | sort -rn | head -1 | awk '{print $2}'`;

IDIOT:
# cd /home
# cat `du -s * | sort -rn | head -1 | awk '{ printf "%s/*\n", $2}'` | compress

there's more but i dont want to destroy the thread lol

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

hbag posted:

those women and homosexuals, amirite

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

https://twitter.com/Greg_Byrne/status/1366504558059544577

Bryant-Denny Stadium seats over 100,000 people.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

I mean, if the vaccination rollout ramps up like they say it will by summer, then maybe it's realistic?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

SchnorkIes posted:

those women and homosexuals, amirite

what about em
did i miss some early 90s homophobic poo poo in the text file or something
gently caress

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

hbag posted:

what about em
did i miss some early 90s homophobic poo poo in the text file or something
gently caress

"harridans and morphodites" is like old timey for those uppity women and gays

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

hbag posted:

Reminds me of the old Real Men, Real Roleplayers, Loonies and Munchkins lists.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My social media "memories" have been wild to look at this week. I started my holidays to travel to Tokyo on Feb 26 last year. Arrived there a year ago today on an empty plane because everything was just starting to happen and most people cancelled their trips. I took the chance because at that time, it didn't seem to be quite as serious as it turned out to be. It was a bizarre experience to see so many touristy areas completely empty while other areas were packed full because students in every level of school had classes cancelled so they were all out having fun in huge groups.

Flying home on March 8 was surreal, no one asked us about anything other than "Have you been to Wuhan, China in the last 2 weeks?". We didn't get screened or anything when we arrived in Canada. No one cared. We saw one sign on a post saying "Please wash your hands". That was it. It was especially concerning because the first confirmed case in my city was already identified and it was one of the people on that fuckin cruise ship who came back from Tokyo and she arrived in our city before we even left. But before anyone knew that, I was checking the news daily, wondering if travel would get banned during our time there, would we even be able to return home? . My husband and I both quarantined for two weeks on arrival, but for me it didn't matter that much because I got laid off on March 15 anyway.

His job was considered essential which wasn't a surprise, but when he went back to work almost all of his coworkers were home sick with something and made to quarantine for 2 weeks as well, no one ever got tested so who knows if it was covid that went through his workplace, but at least he didn't give anything to them and he never got sick. Neither of us have had so much as a sniffle in a year. It's kind of neat. I normally get sick multiple times a year thanks to the kind of job I had, which was working at a very busy zoo gift shop. I tried going back for 3 days in July, and none of the customers were bothering to be safe, so I quit. When covid was just a respiratory disease that doesn't affect younger people, I felt safe. When it became a blood vessel disease that affects anyone with health issues, I changed my tune due to numerous issues with most of my body systems. It may have been stupid to travel when I did, but if it was a month later in the timeline, I wouldn't have gone. I feel really lucky I never got it when I was in one of the top global hotspots at the time.

It's been an interesting year.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

SchnorkIes posted:

"harridans and morphodites" is like old timey for those uppity women and gays

goddamnit

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

lol so many people are going to die

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

lol so many people are going to die

hmm yes but many people also die from [completely unrelated thing] so its impossible to say if its bad or not

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Picnic Princess posted:

His job was considered essential which wasn't a surprise, but when he went back to work almost all of his coworkers were home sick with something and made to quarantine for 2 weeks as well, no one ever got tested so who knows if it was covid that went through his workplace, but at least he didn't give anything to them and he never got sick. Neither of us have had so much as a sniffle in a year. It's kind of neat. I normally get sick multiple times a year thanks to the kind of job I had, which was working at a very busy zoo gift shop.

It's indeed neat. I worked as a graphic designer, but my office was this little tiny place with no windows and an A/C. I realized I would get the flu from being crammed in public transport or from my co-workers, who would sneeze freely. It has been a whole year with no sickness (aside from the chikungunya from last year's April and a couple of food poisonings). I have had a few sniffles or a slightly itchy throat, BUT they go away the same day, or just last a few hours, so I consider them to be just allergies.

It's cool not having the monthly flu. Even my backache is gone (and waking up in the middle of the night freaking out and shaking, I guess stress was really really getting me).

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Blitter posted:

The messaging should continue to be to wear masks, and you are very, very wrong about masks not being effective at reducing viral load and transmission.

There is no shortage of literature, new and old.

How are you so loudly wrong about this one loving year in?

I don’t know what this graph means even though I have the foundation of “masks good” to help my interpretation attempt.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

A dude posted:

KNOW YOUR UNIX SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR-- A FIELD GUIDE

TheCenturion posted:

Reminds me of the old Real Men, Real Roleplayers, Loonies and Munchkins lists.

Oh god, between this and the Trade Wars mention on another thread, I feel like I'm back on a BBS.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
The Covid One Year Ago twitter account is a real nostalgia trip

https://twitter.com/YearCovid/status/1366451982899179522

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
No joke, I will legit never fully trust the WHO or CDC in matters regarding infectious disease outbreaks again. They've proven all too willing to suppress critical time-sensitive information to placate political interests.