Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

"Bodies are weird" is basically the motto in our weight loss thread in YLLS lol. I lifted weights and have had severe DOMS before and was also in kickboxing, MMA, and BJJ for quite a while and I understand what a bruise or physical pain is.

But yeah, I still have no arm pain 6 hours later. Nothing. I had almost no symptoms the first shot either. I'm not saying I'm not going to get sick, but so far nothing. I'm just reporting to everyone here my status. I hope tomorrow doesn't suck.

It's kind of... discouraging in a way... to me that I'm not getting sick. Why is my body not building an immune system response? I mean, I'm not too worried about it but since I've heard so many people, MOST people, experience symptoms and I have absolutely nothing, that's a bit strange to me.

:shrug:

I suspect that there's a disproportionate amount of commentary from people who do experience side effects, and that skews the perception of how common it is. Probably most people who don't have side effects aren't bothering to mention it at all.

In any case, I understand your concern; the discomfort definitely makes it obvious that the shot did something, and that's a relief (even if the symptoms themselves are unpleasant).

I could have def done without the nausea though. Blurgh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

John_A_Tallon posted:

Just blame your brain disorder for why you made it so late.

:hmmyes:

:smith:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Castaign posted:

I suspect that there's a disproportionate amount of commentary from people who do experience side effects, and that skews the perception of how common it is. Probably most people who don't have side effects aren't bothering to mention it at all.

In any case, I understand your concern; the discomfort definitely makes it obvious that the shot did something, and that's a relief (even if the symptoms themselves are unpleasant).

Yeah that's true. The nurse told me today that most people have symptoms too though and she has direct experience with them.

I'm just getting flustered over nothing. Hey, we're all paranoid about this poo poo so I'm probably just worrying about nothing. :)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Castaign posted:

The nausea on shot number one for me was miserable. I was in that weird spitty-mouth imminent puking phase for hours without ever actually puking.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

"Bodies are weird" is basically the motto in our weight loss thread in YLLS lol. I lifted weights and have had severe DOMS before and was also in kickboxing, MMA, and BJJ for quite a while and I understand what a bruise or physical pain is.

But yeah, I still have no arm pain 6 hours later. Nothing. I had almost no symptoms the first shot either. I'm not saying I'm not going to get sick, but so far nothing. I'm just reporting to everyone here my status. I hope tomorrow doesn't suck.

It's kind of... discouraging in a way... to me that I'm not getting sick. Why is my body not building an immune system response? I mean, I'm not too worried about it but since I've heard so many people, MOST people, experience symptoms and I have absolutely nothing, that's a bit strange to me.

:shrug:
6 hours? I didn't get sick until 13-14. My second shot was at about 1 pm, I went to bed feeling fine, and then I woke up at around 3 am with fever chills. So if you're hoping for symptoms, uh, hang in there I guess?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Castaign posted:

The second shot hurt more on injection (I found out later that they had to switch to bigger needles in order to be able to get more vaccine doses out of each vial), but there was much less arm pain afterwards. I got the first shot on my right arm and the second on my left; interestingly, about half a day post 2nd shot I noted that my right arm where I had the first injection was aching again. That was kind of strange.
My understanding is that the arm pain after a shot is basically because your brain knows a virus got past your skin so it wants to alert you that clearly you are being violated, but at the same time can't find the source (with the needle being so tiny there is virtually no injury) so it freaks out in confusion so it just tells you to check your whole arm. Which is why it usually hurts less afterwards if the actual shot is painful because your body can make a more educated guess of the cause.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Zugzwang posted:

6 hours? I didn't get sick until 13-14. My second shot was at about 1 pm, I went to bed feeling fine, and then I woke up at around 3 am with fever chills. So if you're hoping for symptoms, uh, hang in there I guess?

:sludgepal:

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

kuddles posted:

My understanding is that the arm pain after a shot is basically because your brain knows a virus got past your skin so it wants to alert you that clearly you are being violated, but at the same time can't find the source (with the needle being so tiny there is virtually no injury) so it freaks out in confusion so it just tells you to check your whole arm. Which is why it usually hurts less afterwards if the actual shot is painful because your body can make a more educated guess of the cause.

That's really interesting, makes sense and is consistent with my personal experience (for what that's worth). I still find it odd that my other arm started hurting.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

I'm booked for my first dose of AZ this morning. I'm going ahead with it because there's no certainty that I'll be able to access a different vaccine any time soon.

If I was offered AZ today I'd definitely take it. (I'm under 50.)

Mu Zeta posted:

I really want a post mortem a year from now on how the hell Sweden handled covid better than most of the EU despite the loose restrictions and cavalier masking

Sweden actually performed pretty badly compared to their closest neighbours Norway, Denmark and Finland:

(Sweden's population is roughly double each of those other countries)

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-data?country=SWE~DNK~NOR~FIN
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

kuddles posted:

There is no live virus in the covid shot.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

kuddles posted:

Nah, it's the adjuvant causing various forms of chaos around the injection site. That's what it's for.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

withak posted:

Lol if the coronavirus vaccine cures allergies in some people.

It seems to reduce long covid, so anything is possible.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Yeah that's true. The nurse told me today that most people have symptoms too though and she has direct experience with them.

The information sheet I was given prior to my shot said that roughly 3/4 people will have one or more mild symptoms. That's for AZ.

Australia has organised another 20 million doses of Pfizer, but those won't arrive until Q4. At this stage, local production of AZ will continue with AZ and the federal government to decide what will happen with the surplus.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 9, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

Australia has organised another 20 million doses of Pfizer, but those won't arrive until Q4.

Hooray we're saved!!! six months from now, if they don't gently caress this up as well

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

The 2b group, which is everyone left under 50, wouldn't have been started to be vaxxed probably until q4 anyway with the way the rollout was going. The people most impacted will be the under 50s in the 1a and b groups who are being vaxxed now. The Pfizer vaccine already ordered seems to coming in in dribs and drabs from what I can gather, so that's what's going to slow everything down. At least we are a covid free country and it's safe to live unvaxxed right now.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My brother-in-law was possibly exposed to covid through work today, and was sent home to quarantine. They requested he get tested for contact tracing purposes, and even with a negative, they still want him to quarantine for two weeks. Fine, cool, he's up for that, he agrees it's the moral thing to do.

But then he found out that because he lived in a different province for 4 years to go to university, his provincial health care was cancelled. He didn't find out until this afternoon. He was never warned, or informed, and had not had to go to a doctor since moving back here.

They refuse to give him a covid test because he doesn't have a health care number. The only way to reinstate/get a new number is to go to a registries office in person. He was put through numerous different people over the phone trying to get it sorted out or secure a test, and no one offered any help beyond "You have to go to registries or show up at the test site and plead your case". His plan is to longboard 45 minutes to the test site and hope for the best because he wants to stay as distanced as possible, and he doesn't drive. So no bus, no ride, no taxi.

So yeah, that's a fuckin delight.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

People under 50 can still opt in for AZ with "informed consent" if they want, especially if they've got co-morbidities that would put them at higher risk of severe illness from covid. It's not officially banned or anything, the language they're using is that Pfizer is the "preferred" vaccine for under 50s. That's also dependent on us not having any community spread, if there's a large scale outbreak they'd change the recommendations again.

UPDATE: oops, turns out that that at least some of the vaxx hubs were turning away people under 50 today regardless of whether they consented or not
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-09/australia-covid-astrazeneca-vaccine-people-under-50-turned-away/100058410

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Picnic Princess posted:

His plan is to longboard 45 minutes to the test site and hope for the best because he wants to stay as distanced as possible, and he doesn't drive. So no bus, no ride, no taxi.

So yeah, that's a fuckin delight.

Too late to get a bicycle now, I guess. Plan ahead, people, don't be this guy. :-P

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Castaign posted:

To add to the "no symptom" tally, I had my second Pfizer on Wednesday morning at 8:15. Standard muscle pain at the injection site which seems to still be there a bit today. I was a little lethargic later in the day Wednesday, and sweat a bit (which I normally don't do) overnight, but other than the arm pain the next day everything was basically normal. I've now got April 28th in sight as my first day of freedom for over a year and a half. The timing couldn't be better as here in NE Ohio, Spring's finally got a foothold, and I'm dying to just get out amongst humans. Here's to a (relatively) normal Summer.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Yeah my arm is hurting worse than last time but I slept fine (well, fine as my baseline which is terrible). So I didn't notice anything. If anything else happens I'm guessing it'll be today.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

withak posted:

jesus loving christ spit in my mouth then

I'm allergic to loving everything :(

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I'm finally feeling properly better today, took 3~ days though.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

withak posted:

I am having a very mild allergy season so far, now that you mention it. Essentially no symptoms right now on zero allergy meds, which is pretty weird for me in April.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 9, 2021

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I am 16 hours post-Pfizer 2.

My only side effects are a mild soreness in my arm, an uncomfortable desire to consume the flesh of the recipients of rival vaccines, and an overwhelming gratitude that my wife and I made it here without getting Covid19.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The latest insane conspiracy theory doing the rounds in Finland is that people are filming the tiny little cloth threads on their masks and claiming they are embedded tiny little worms put inside the masks because they are actually bio weapons or some poo poo like that.

How the gently caress are idiots believing this poo poo? How loving broken does your brain have to be to think that cloth masks, which are manufactured by everyone everywhere (my masks were made by a small local fabric company and the profits go to benefit local charities) somehow contain some super secret bio weapon technology that nobody is talking about except these geniuses?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The latest insane conspiracy theory doing the rounds in Finland is that people are filming the tiny little cloth threads on their masks and claiming they are embedded tiny little worms put inside the masks because they are actually bio weapons or some poo poo like that.

How the gently caress are idiots believing this poo poo? How loving broken does your brain have to be to think that cloth masks, which are manufactured by everyone everywhere (my masks were made by a small local fabric company and the profits go to benefit local charities) somehow contain some super secret bio weapon technology that nobody is talking about except these geniuses?

Hahaha. Let’s see the video

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So a second side effect from the Pfizer #2 has hit - a day off and a desire to support local businesses! I took a celebratory trip to a little Mexican bakery here in town and left with Empanadas and the biggest, most beautiful cinnamon rolls I've ever seen. (This box is filling the entire passenger seat, for scale.)

Gonna hit them up this weekend for some tres leches cake maybe?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bape Culture posted:

Hahaha. Let’s see the video

I can't find the originals, they might have been scrubbed from social media, but on this news broadcast they have a guy debunking these myths. You can see the mask "worms" from about one minute in.

https://www.mtvuutiset.fi/artikkeli...rioihin/8104308

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

They don't actually believe it, they just repeat it as a performative rejection of the state.

Nobody actually earnestly believes the vaccines contain 5g chips or whatever either, but they repeat it for the same reason.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
woke up with a sore throat, haven't got the vaccine yet, am i gonna die?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Dick Bastardly posted:

Eventually, yes.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

WhiteHowler posted:

Eventually, yes.

*does mr. burns hand thing*

excellent

necroid
May 14, 2009

chiming in with my experience (not US, EU here), I got my first shot of AZ on April 1st, now I just have to wait and see if my brain is going to explode into a bloody mist within the next 15 days as that'd be one hell of an April fool's

1st night was just arm pain, 2nd night was 37.6° light fever and more arm pain. took some paracetamol that night, the fever went out by the next morning and the arm pain took a couple of days to subside completely (but it really wasn't that debilitating, just sore)

it did push me to sort out all my personal poo poo in the meantime, just in case things go wrong. feels weird but also relieving to write down on a piece of paper the instructions on how to access all my accounts and passwords lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dick Bastardly posted:

Sorry you are already dead like the rest of us here.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

So a second side effect from the Pfizer #2 has hit - a day off and a desire to support local businesses! I took a celebratory trip to a little Mexican bakery here in town and left with Empanadas and the biggest, most beautiful cinnamon rolls I've ever seen. (This box is filling the entire passenger seat, for scale.)

Looks great. I'm hoping to get a appointment at the clinic that has a mexican food truck outside :)

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Dick Bastardly posted:

If you live near where I live we're currently having one of the strongest pollen kickoffs I've seen. I've had a wet cough, sore throat and sinus pressure for like a week.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Rolo posted:

If you live near where I live we're currently having one of the strongest pollen kickoffs I've seen. I've had a wet cough, sore throat and sinus pressure for like a week.

this makes a lot more sense :sweatdrop:

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Charliegrs posted:

Ive been curious about something with the vaccines. Say youre a nurse working a covid ICU and youre vaccinated. Is it worse for someone like that because their immune system is constantly being bombarded by the virus? Like the vaccine should protect, but a normal immune system isnt under constant attack from covid like a nurses is.

I'm not sure if immune systems get "tired", but they do get overwhelmed. That's why "viral load" is such a big deal. Essentially, if there's one virus the immune system will smack that bitch down, but if there are an overwhelming number of viruses it can't possibly smack them down fast enough and that's when you start feeling sick. Which is also why my eczema, and other people's more minor allergies (which are an overreaction of the immune system) tend to die down when the immune system is busy with something higher priority. It's all like "oh poo poo I have stuff to do" and stops loving around with healthy parts for a bit.
(I also wouldn't expect allergies to remain 'cured' long term after vaccination)

The vaccine doesn't introduce more viral load, because it doesn't contain viruses. In someone who is already under constant attack from COVID, my understanding is it would kick the immune system into high gear for the same response it's already performing, and help it not become overwhelmed.

I have no idea what happens to the response when a variant is introduced, though. I have to assume the response is overlapping enough that it wouldn't be like trying to fight two viruses at once, but who knows...

I'm not a doctor but I took a biology degree many years ago and then went into a completely unrelated career :v:

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Dick Bastardly posted:

this makes a lot more sense :sweatdrop:

Yeah I mean obviously be careful if you have any symptoms. Last month I was seeing a friend outside and his neighbor sees us and comes up to hang out. She’s coughing hard and tells me that it’s not covid, she just has bronchitis.

Moron I don’t want that either what the hell is wrong with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

dwarf74 posted:

Hell yeah!! Wife and I are gradually rediscovering restaurants (and finding some new ones) with help from the "Outdoor Seating" filter on Google Maps.

The shots were free, but I'm paying for them by stimulating the economy