Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I just got my first shot, and I caught myself thinking today about how Windows 7 is so much better than Windows 10, does that mean the vaccine is working or has horribly failed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

2 people out of 7 million have said Windows ME so i think you're good

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sturgis 2: No Holds Barred

naem
May 29, 2011

well my j&j vax just got canceled with an automated “No Options p.s. F.U.” text

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Got my second shot today.

In less cool news, but MiL who has decided that since she is vaccinated she should go out all the time and does the boomer thing where she takes her mask off as soon as she's out of sight of employees, is insisting she's only got a cold. She's also refusing to get a test because "it's just a cold". Like I know it's not that likely to get a breakthrough, but getting a test now is so easy why not? Last one I got was a same day appointment at a CVS.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I assume you are not seeing her in person anyway if she behaves like this? Just drop it for your own sake, you can change idiots and it only drives you up the wall. Not good for your mental well being.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Fairly odd article in the news today about a pre-print study claiming that masks were the "single biggest factor" (!) in driving down Melbourne's second wave last year - despite the fact that we were in harsh lockdown (curfew, 5km limit, no social bubbles etc) for about four months.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-14/face-masks-number-one-in-pushing-down-victorian-covid19-cases/100065656

edit - the really dumb part to me is them saying that the R number started going down from 23 July, the day that face coverings became mandatory outside your home, and conveniently ignoring that it was also precisely two weeks after the lockdown went into effect on 9 July.

freebooter fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 14, 2021

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

freebooter posted:

Fairly odd article in the news today about a pre-print study claiming that masks were the "single biggest factor" (!) in driving down Melbourne's second wave last year - despite the fact that we were in harsh lockdown (curfew, 5km limit, no social bubbles etc) for about four months.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-14/face-masks-number-one-in-pushing-down-victorian-covid19-cases/100065656

edit - the really dumb part to me is them saying that the R number started going down from 23 July, the day that face coverings became mandatory outside your home, and conveniently ignoring that it was also precisely two weeks after the lockdown went into effect on 9 July.

I noticed that they credit physical distancing with a risk reduction of about 28%.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bape Culture posted:

Only sa could turn a card saying “vaccinated” into some dumb gently caress trans argument. Jesus Christ. Get the jab. Get a card. Or gently caress off. Honestly.
quoting for anyone who missed this Masterclass post

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Just had blood taken at my cancer and haematology centre and neither staff nor patients were wearing masks. The screening at the entrance is just a temperature check now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lolie posted:

Just had blood taken at my cancer and haematology centre and neither staff nor patients were wearing masks. The screening at the entrance is just a temperature check now.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Lolie posted:

:(:respek::( I just had a biopsy of my kidney done today. And a bunch of blood sucked out of me.

Everyone was masked the gently caress up at least.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
I'm sitting opposite the covid testing tents and the staff there are wearing masks, at least.

Those tents are new. They weren't there in January or last year.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Lolie posted:

JFC. That shouldn’t be legal :(

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Aegis Bear posted:

It makes sense given our lack of covid community transmission, but most people won't have had their flu vaccination yet so there is still reason to be cautious. Covid isn't the only thing which puts us at risk

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Green Nail Polish posted:

Just listened to the new TWIV and the latest CDC report estimates that about 1 in 10,000 covid cases are a result of fomite transmission.

Not nothing, but not an area of great concern either.

That’s around 3000 cases total in the US. Studies have found that there’s some viable real world finite transmission in daycares, which makes sense since kids are always putting their hands/random objects in their mouths/noses. The Lancet study on fomite transmission shows they’re really basically nothing in other contexts. Even swabbing surfaces in ICUs didn’t come up with transmissible amounts.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Aegis Bear posted:

This is in Australia where there's no COVID. Though it still seems imprudent to me in a medical setting.

Lolie you're in Queensland right? I feel like the institutional PTSD Victoria now has (you certainly wouldn't go anywhere near a cancer ward without a mask here) is something the other states could do with adopting just on a mere precautionary measure.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

freebooter posted:

This is in Australia where there's no COVID. Though it still seems imprudent to me in a medical setting.

Lolie you're in Queensland right? I feel like the institutional PTSD Victoria now has (you certainly wouldn't go anywhere near a cancer ward without a mask here) is something the other states could do with adopting just on a mere precautionary measure.

NSW. I still won't go without a mask. Two of my children are nurses and only one has been vaccinated so far. Healthcare workers in general are going to face more stress from the vaccine rollout turning into a clusterfuck.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

At the flea market last week I think we convinced three people to get vaccinated. The fourth told us the vaccines had prions ij them which was a new one by me.

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
I haven't given blood in over two years and honestly, I've resolved to call the Red Cross and demand they remove my information because I have no intention of ever giving again. It's just not worth the risk.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

I haven't given blood in over two years and honestly, I've resolved to call the Red Cross and demand they remove my information because I have no intention of ever giving again. It's just not worth the risk.

I can't give blood, but as someone who needed a transfusion last year, I'm incredibly grateful to those who do.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Strawberry Pyramid posted:

I'm probably in a different country to you but ime, donating has been extremely safe with building limits, masks, distancing, cleaning, and records kept of who was where, when. I mean it's a medical setting, they're taking it more seriously than most places.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU
I've gotten pretty used to brushing them off and only donating when I feel like it. I usually donate platelets, which only has a ~one week recovery time and takes about 2.5 hours, so I'm not going to be going in every eligibility window like with whole blood.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that's taken a year+ break from donating due to covid so I'm sure they're hurting, though. I meant to start going again once my folks were vaccinated so I wouldn't transfer any risk to them, but then my own eligibility came up and I assumed that'd invoke the usual several week deferral period for vaccines.

https://www.redcrossblood.org/local-homepage/news/article/covid-19-vaccination-guide-blood-donation.html
Just looked it up and seems most of the covid-19 vaccines don't invoke the deferral period, so I suppose it's feasible to donate between jabs and to go in once my second dose symptoms subside rather than waiting a month+ like I was expecting.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Whitlam posted:

I'm probably in a different country to you but ime, donating has been extremely safe with building limits, masks, distancing, cleaning, and records kept of who was where, when. I mean it's a medical setting, they're taking it more seriously than most places.

Yeah this has come up before ITT and it seems like American (or maybe some states?) blood donation sites have a *really* slack attitude, which is... not great.

(Which has reminded me I'm overdue for my next donation because the lower capacity made it tricky to fit a session in, have to get that booked now)

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

A Fancy Hat posted:

My parents will have hit the 2 week mark since their 2nd Moderna dose tomorrow. It's an incredible weight off my shoulders at this point, there were a lot of dark times where I thought my Dad would never make it through 2020 due to his COPD.

My wife and I are now one week past our first Moderna dose, and even that has helped my mental health tremendously.

"haha hey AFH hit us with a trump post!"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Spinz posted:

Side note I think the Pfizer vax making you have more vivid dreams chatter I've read may be true, at least for me it certainly is. I's no big deal I'm just saying certainly happening right now.

I didn't dream poo poo. You want dreams eat edibles

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I should get around to donating blood again, but I haven't for a couple years now in part because I was relentlessly spammed by the Red Cross trying to get me to donate. Lots of phone calls, lots of voicemails, to the point it was infuriating. It was like the punishment for giving to some charitable causes - you end up on their list and they will keep hounding you for more.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s a dirty secret that American blood is exported for multiple billions of dollars annually.

The donation itself is a noble act, but the whole business of it disgusts me.

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
I’ve donated 3 times (WA/WA/PA) since the pandemic started. Every time, everyone there has been wearing a mask properly and distancing properly other than the phlebotomist who took my information (because getting a thermometer reading and blood pressure requires you to get fairly close) and blood. I don’t mind their spamming, I assume it’s because they’ve had drastically limited availability since the pandemic started (I’ve only ever seen a couple donors inside at once) and need to stay fully booked at all times.

While we’re in bloodchat, anyone done the double red? They REALLY want me to do it and I’m nervous.

Cretin90 fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Apr 14, 2021

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Platystemon posted:

It’s a dirty secret that American blood is exported for multiple billions of dollars annually.

The donation itself is a noble act, but the whole business of it disgusts me.
I'm not really seeing a problem with donating hundreds of dollars to the Red Cross by way of needed blood products

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ShadowHawk posted:

I'm not really seeing a problem with donating hundreds of dollars to the Red Cross by way of needed blood products

The Red Cross isn’t making those billions.

Hope that helps.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Lolie posted:

NSW. I still won't go without a mask. Two of my children are nurses and only one has been vaccinated so far. Healthcare workers in general are going to face more stress from the vaccine rollout turning into a clusterfuck.

I went to the GP today and was under the mistaken impression that masks were still mandatory in any medical setting whatsoever in Victoria but... apparently it's just hospitals? Or maybe not even that, since I haven't been to pick up my girlfriend's meds from the Alfred in over a month. I was the only one in the waiting room wearing one and the nurse who took my bloods wasn't either.

Like, it's fine, it doesn't bother me, there's been zero cases here and the statistical risk is insignificant, but a mask is such a tiny imposition for a place which people go so infrequently - and which often contains both vulnerable people and people who might be feeling a bit of a cough - and the summer proved it's theoretically possible COVID could briefly break free of hotel quarantine on any given day, so... why not? From an abundance of caution? Requiring them on public transport is more of a burden but people more or less accept it, so I don't understand why not in medical settings.

It's also very silly that Victoria mandates masks on public transport purely from institutional PTSD whereas every other state, where the risk that COVID may have breached HQ in the last few days and is circulating undetected is precisely the same, doesn't.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Lolie posted:

A man in his 80s has died from covid in Queensland. We had a good run, but drat.

Was just reading up on this (he contracted it overseas so it doesn't "count" as an Australian COVID death) to try to figure out when our last death was - I thought there'd been one or two this year from hotel quarantine or the Christmas cluster, but apparently there's been no death from community transmission since October 2020.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-13/queensland-coronavirus-seventh-death-man-philippines/100059930

What we've achieved in this country is a stellar example of good public policy, literally savings tens of thousands of lives, and it still bemuses me that so many Australians ignore that completely and are absolutely furious at the government for a slow vaccine rollout. Nobody pays much attention to what happens outside their own country (which is why people are reacting like this in the first place), but if Americans and Europeans could sit down and firstly, understand what life has been like here, and secondly, consume a few weeks of the Australian news cycle in the last few months - they'd be very pissed off at our attitude.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

freebooter posted:

I went to the GP today and was under the mistaken impression that masks were still mandatory in any medical setting whatsoever in Victoria but... apparently it's just hospitals? Or maybe not even that, since I haven't been to pick up my girlfriend's meds from the Alfred in over a month. I was the only one in the waiting room wearing one and the nurse who took my bloods wasn't either.

Like, it's fine, it doesn't bother me, there's been zero cases here and the statistical risk is insignificant, but a mask is such a tiny imposition for a place which people go so infrequently - and which often contains both vulnerable people and people who might be feeling a bit of a cough - and the summer proved it's theoretically possible COVID could briefly break free of hotel quarantine on any given day, so... why not? From an abundance of caution? Requiring them on public transport is more of a burden but people more or less accept it, so I don't understand why not in medical settings.

It's also very silly that Victoria mandates masks on public transport purely from institutional PTSD whereas every other state, where the risk that COVID may have breached HQ in the last few days and is circulating undetected is precisely the same, doesn't.

This blows my mind, as my wife's OB/outpatient offices are still super strict and locked down and I STILL can't be there for the 20 week ultrasound. Don't get me wrong I know why and I appreciate the safety, its just crazy hearing not all medical places are on the same page.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

Guess who just got stabbed!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Platystemon posted:

The Red Cross isn’t making those billions.

Hope that helps.

The biggest sites for for-profit blood dontation are by the Mexican border. Its a pretty gross exploitative trade.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Fenarisk posted:

This blows my mind, as my wife's OB/outpatient offices are still super strict and locked down and I STILL can't be there for the 20 week ultrasound. Don't get me wrong I know why and I appreciate the safety, its just crazy hearing not all medical places are on the same page.

He's from Australia and that's the Australian state, not the Canadian city. Covid essentially does not exist here except when it periodically leaks from hotel quarantine or a hospital (who treats the positive cases found in hotel quarantine), bounces around a single city for a few weeks (every other state bans travel of people in that city to the other states) until the various measures (aggressive and hard lockdowns, mask mandates, capacity restrictions, aggressive contact tracing with 100% genomic sequencing, etc.) are implemented in said city and it fizzles it out because people here aren't permanently under it and so generally have high levels of compliance.

Aussies really need to start saying that in this thread when they recount an experience, otherwise it looks really weird.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I used to go to the Red Cross a lot for platelet donations. And funnily enough, now that I'm double-vaxxed, I'm looking forward to going back ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I tend to think of it as introvert-friendly community service, since I know all the staff and all I have to do is sit there and watch movies.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Stunt_enby posted:

quoting for anyone who missed this Masterclass post

Yes. Thanks for resurfacing the awesome takedown of the straw man they'd built, since literally no one had objected to the either the jab or the card.

EDIT: Red Cross won't take my gay blood, so I guess I win. I'm AB, anyway so not the biggest loss all told.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
the second dose has put me on my rear end, low-grade fever, sore all over, can't really sleep, etc.

but at least i'll be fully vaccinated next week