Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Zugzwang posted:

Biden, the President-Elect, just got his second jab. I doubt all the congressfolk have.

What, the U.S. are vaccinating their politicians before the people-at-risk in the general public?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Ah, I forgot how ancient the population of the Capitol is. 75 and still writing laws!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Whooping Crabs posted:

My university is going ham with testing, now requiring everyone to be tested twice a week or risk losing lab access, which is good.

Hah. They won't even test a person without symptoms, here, they don't have the capacity. Unless you've been in contact with a confirmed case.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
90-year olds die. It's the normal thing for them to do.

The question is, do more of them die if they get the jab, or if they don't?
My money is on the latter.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Mithaldu posted:

keep in mind that all of them could be kept alive if meaningful measures would be used that should in fact have been hard enforced for the entirety of last year

killing some of them by making them go through a very stressful thing is not a normal reaction, it's a panic reaction caused by politicians not giving a loving poo poo about who dies or not

Are you saying they're more likely to die if they get vaccinated?

Are you really saying that all 90-year-olds could be kept alive indefinitely?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

How do they handle a visor? It's a bit less comfortable to wear, but should be better in terms of breathing.

That's about all I've got, on the assumption they're in a place where they can't get disability or unemployment support or negiotiate a work schedule that allows them to take breathing breaks.

A visor protects the wearer from direct sprays of sneezing or coughing. That's all. It does not protect others the way a surgical mask (probably) does1, and it does not protect the wearer from inhaling aerosols or droplets (the way an N95 mask can if worn properly).

Healthcare staff will wear both an N95 mask and a visor when interacting directly with patients, because they might get sneezed on.

So, no, a visor cannot substitute for a mask and it is hard to find situations where we should be recommending visors for the general public. If everyone with symptoms stayed isolated, no one would need a visor.

Edit: Sources:
1https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16490606/

quote:

Some surgical masks may let a significant fraction of airborne viruses penetrate through their filters, providing very low protection against aerosolized infectious agents in the size range of 10 to 80 nm. It should be noted that the surgical masks are primarily designed to protect the environment from the wearer

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jan 16, 2021

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

zgrowler2 posted:

I'm gonna reserve my remaining KN95s for anytime anyone else comes over and wear a half-mask respirator anytime I'm outside the house.

I don't mean to come off as an rear end, but if you want to make sure not to get infected, you move should not be "invite people over and wear an N95 mask". It should be "don't invite people over".

I still can't shake the feeling that the proliferation of mask-wearing is contributing to spread1. A lot of people seem to mistakenly assume it's OK to stay indoors with other people for extended periods, as long as everyone masks up.

1 Compared to not wearing a mask but isolating.

Edit: To clarify, I'm not a Trumper, I'm just paranoid and don't trust masks to keep people safe.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 18, 2021

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Inept posted:

If your hairdresser was wearing a mask you might be ok

if not, why would you go in

What I'm wondering is, how the hell do you cut the hair of someone who's wearing a mask and visor?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

stab posted:

When the hairdresser got next to each ear I'd remove the mask around my ear and hold it in place. When they were done, we would stop and readjust my mask while the hairdresser would be at a distance.

For the visor part, same principle when working around the band.

That is actually extremely careful of you. Most people would have just removed them both for the duration.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

TBF there are many countries and regions where K-8 (or similar age) schools have stayed open throughout the pandemic, yet have significantly lower death rates than the U.S.

The problem is to find effective actions that will slow down the widespread contagion, while minimizing the damage to society from (for example) kids not learning anything in school for an entire year or more.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

zgrowler2 posted:

Kids who get covid can wind up with Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome, "a condition where different body parts can become inflamed, including the heart, lungs, kidneys, brain, skin, eyes, or gastrointestinal organs." Seemingly random side effect. Feel free to share that information with anyone who thinks their kid is bulletproof. I'll refrain from looking for the warning posts from specific parents, but they're out there.

Keep in mind the actual risk is extremely low.

1,659 confirmed cases and 26 deaths in the US, out of 24 633 790 Covid cases and 410 383 Covid deaths means *you* are extremely more likely to die from Covid than your kid is.

If you want to keep your kid alive, eliminate falling risks around your house, move to a neighborhood where they don't need to move about in traffic, etc. Even regular influenza and pneumonia kills over 250 kids under the age of 14 per year.

https://wisqars-viz.cdc.gov:8006/lcd/home

In essence, keep an eye out for those symptoms and don't slack off on isolating your family, but don't go losing sleep over this particular risk.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Mithaldu posted:

it should be clear at this point to even the most casual reader of the thread:

individual death isn't the primary worry of this highly infectuous blood vessel disease

for the individual the primary worry is all of the weird and yet unstudied effects that getting damage in most parts of your body can have

death only matters insofar it is a population phenomenon where every infected can very easily cause a few or thousands deaths by their actions due to the highly infectuous nature of the thing

so please, for gently caress's sake, stop saying anything remotely like "your risk of dying is low" and then being smug about it

Hey, hey, calm down there. I didn't see anyone saying Covid is not dangerous or that contagion will not end our civilization. Your post reads like I advocated for someone to take risks or not keep isolating themselves and their family. That's not what I wrote, I'm only stating facts about that particular syndrome. Maybe it's because I'm not a native speaker but I fail to see what statement I made that was "smug".

You can go ahead and be as agitated as you want about what people post online. I see in the next couple pages, you spent an inordinate amount of words shouting at people for being wrong and honestly I don't think you'll be convincing anyone of anything with that tone. If venting helps you, though, I suppose this is a good thread for it.

Edit: Like this part here, it's extremely ineffective, when trying to convince someone of something, to openly state that you are assuming their intent is malicious. I'm not talking about the profanity but your assumption of bad intent. No one that you talk to this way will pay any attention to you, because literally no one is trying to kill people. (At least not in this thread, as far as I can tell.)

Mithaldu posted:

1. your position is still "wear one if you're afraid of dying, otherwise don't", which is advice that kills people through extending infection chains, and i want you to stop trying to kill people. seriously, why the gently caress are you so intent on saying things that kill people? is it so hard for you to at the very least not say things that lead to corpses?

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 24, 2021

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

naem posted:

CA’s going to be a bloodbath in three weeks

Looks like two guests to a table, outdoors, generous spacing between tables... I don't know, looks the same as in many places in the world that are currently not bloodbaths. Should work out as long as there isn't too much spread in the general population... *checks covid tracker numbers for LA*

:monocle:

7,112 new cases reported yesterday. OK, a bloodbath it will be.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

gooby pls posted:

Wife’s going to get her first shot of the vaccine today. She’s 1b, people facing, but the nys veterinary society kept telling vets that they weren’t eligible. Eventually NY put vets / techs / etc on the list and the hotline has been telling people in the field they can get a shot. But man, weeks of bad info from your governing body? They’re directly responsible for the deaths of anyone they said couldn’t get a vaccine in my opinion.

To be fair, it's not like those doses will have gone to waste. They've been issued to other essential front-line workers who might just as easily have died.

Take the victories you can get, she gets the shot and that's good.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

frogge posted:

I just watched that. It's really frustrating as someone that's basically bunkered for almost a whole year now. Mrs. Frogge is going to go back to work in a school because they're all being forced back and considering it's a rural district (see: conservative and thus it leans anti-mask/anti-basic loving safety precautions) so it's all but a foregone conclusion that we're going to get it before they realize they made a mistake and close down again, so the entire year of doing everything right and not seeing anyone or going anywhere so maybe I could last until we get a vaccine was for loving nothing. She'd quit but we can't afford to have one of us lose our jobs.

You helped flatten the curve. If you die next month, you still may have saved other lives back in April or whenever the local peak was in your town, when you didn't catch&spread it thanks to good self-isolation. Keep doing your best and hang in there.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

explosivo posted:

What is the point of different phases and sub phases if we're months into this and still in 1A

To be fair, we're one month and a few days into the vaccination program.

They've administered 31 million doses across the US as of today. I don't think just under a million injections per day is something to be scoffed at. It's a major feat of public administration to get where we're at, and it's only going to accelerate from here.

Steely Dad posted:

I hope someone is running a clinical trial on using the MMR vaccine against covid. There’s probably a reasonable proportion of people who mistrust the new ones that would be willing to take a proven vaccine like MMR, especially among health care workers, if it offers a degree of protection. If it’s manageable to ramp up production and distribution, it might even be good to offer it to populations that aren’t close to getting the new vaccines, too.

(I know there are lots of idiots who won’t take any vaccines, ever, and obviously that’s not fixable this way.)

What makes you think the MMR vaccine would be effective against Covid-19? Do any of the virii in that vaccine have traits in common with SARS-CoV-2?

TheCenturion posted:

I remember a lot of people used to talk about the 'second wave.'

I was reading some articles today that were postulating that by mid-March, 'variant' coronaviruses would be the most prevalent strains.

Does this mean that in a few months we'll actually hit the 'second wave?'

It's depressing to think that we're six weeks shy of being able to legitimately say that we're in the second year of pandemic measures.

In a Scandinavian setting, November marked the start of the second wave. We averaged something like 0.5 deaths daily over summer, but when schools and universities had been in session for a couple of months, spread started up and exploded. Also, people going clubbing and partying indoors etc. Who knows why, really, but we broke the April record for deaths in January. So yes, there were two waves, so far, with the second one currently subsiding due to more measures taken (closing nightclubs for one thing), and another wave could hit once the UK variant takes hold (which it will inevitably).

Edit edit:

vvv Huh, interesting. Thanks for the link!

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 1, 2021

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Akuma posted:

Yeah but the really shocking thing from that article is the scientist saying "yeah nobody's really researched it very much because barely anybody ever had it happen" until now where millions of people have had it happen.

No the really shocking thing from that article is this:

"Clare enjoying a pamper day with her eldest daughter - but perfume now smells revolting to her"

What the gently caress is even going on here?

Is her eldest daughter a Real Doll?

Did they take that picture through some uncanny valley filter in their favorite video chat app?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Almost certainly, yes. The rollout at the VA is a different matter.

The national vaccine tracker has DoD as a separate entity with the other federal agencies, so I assume yes.

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

wa27 posted:

Our health department had to give 400 doses to teachers because they didn't have enough old people lined up and everyone on facebook is pissed.

Lol at how people can get pissed at the vaccine reaching 400 people who are at high risk of transmitting Covid to kids if they catch it.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 2, 2021

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Melbourne Australia just got some local spread with a hotel quarantine worker popping positive even though there were no breaches of infection control protocols that they could find after scouring all the CCTV footage. The current theory is that the UK strain is so transmissible that it'll sneak out and go hunting for more people if you just open the door

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-03/victoria-investigating-possible-coronavirus-spread-in-quarantine/13117828

Sound like they're grasping for straws while the worker actually caught it in a secret gay sex party on the bad side of town and is too ashamed to mention.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

azurite posted:

Respirators do the opposite of surgical/cloth masks in that they protect the wearer from airborne contaminants, but don't protect others from the wearer.

Of course, by protecting the wearer from contagion, they do in fact protect others around him because he is less likely to become a carrier. But that's hardly news to anyone.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

I get the sense alot of people don't realize Spaniards are white.

There has historically been so much racism that does not relate to your personal definition of "race" that it's not even funny.

(To be clear, I'm saying that Americans may have one definition of who can be a victim of racism, and other cultures may have their own definition. Indeed, you'd be hard pressed to find two people in America who agree in detail on what exactly constitutes a particular race. In the context of early-20th-century Europe, I certainly agree it makes sense to partly blame racism for calling it the Spanish Flu. The other contributor is geopolitics.)

(Let me tell you about the racism between the various white people of Yugoslavia. No, please don't let me, it will take all week...)

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Melbourne Australia just got some local spread with a hotel quarantine worker popping positive even though there were no breaches of infection control protocols that they could find after scouring all the CCTV footage. The current theory is that the UK strain is so transmissible that it'll sneak out and go hunting for more people if you just open the door

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-02-03/victoria-investigating-possible-coronavirus-spread-in-quarantine/13117828
Sound like they're grasping for straws while the worker actually caught it in a secret gay sex party on the bad side of town and is too ashamed to mention.

a quarantine security guard popped positive and it came to light that he'd been moonlighting as an Uber driver.

Well, OK, maybe it wasn't a gay sex orgy in particular, but something at least equally as embarrasing.

Comedy option: Pay the security guards enough, and offer them full time positions, so that they don't need a second job.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Thom Yorke raps posted:

Any thoughts on the safety of going to an outdoor camp over the summer? It's on an island in New Hampshire, everything is outdoors only except for 2 person cabins (which are deep cleaned between campers), meals are six feet apart, people are required to wear masks if they are near people not in their party. This is in July, so there is a chance I'll be vaccinated, but probably not
I'm leaning towards not doing it, but I'd really like to

To me as a foreigner, what's "an outdoor camp" in this context? Is this a thing where you rent a cabin for a few weeks and just hang out, or is it some kind of activity-based "camp" with organized communal hugging sessions or something?

I didn't get the "meals are six feet apart" thing. Are they indoors? (Cause then hell no, don't go.)

Propaganda Machine posted:

I've got friends and family in New Hampshire and basically the further north you are the better off you are. The area close to Boston is awful but if you're north of Concord you're probably fine. The only cases in my parents' county have been isolated incidents that happened towards the beginning of things.

Then again, for a camp people will be coming from all over. I'd worry about that part.

Are you saying you know how many cases each area will have in July?

Do tell the rest of us.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 10, 2021

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Thom Yorke raps posted:

You get a cabin, meals are outdoors with people in your 'pod' (the one other person in your cabin, or your family), and they're 6 feet apart
Did I say I would know how many cases each area would have in July?

You didn't, I was quoting Propaganda Machine.

OK if there are no indoor activities with strangers, that doesn't sound any more dangerous than living wherever you are at now, does it? Assuming you travel there and back by car, etc, shouldn't be any risk factor, combined with the generally lower risks in summer.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

There Bias Two posted:

The main bottleneck right now is not a scarcity of doses, but bad logistics.

Not true, not in all places at least. I just read on the news yesterday that Sweden has built-up vaccine centers with patients booked, who have to postpone appointments and more or less sit idle because the shipments are not arriving from the manufacturers at the promised rates. I'm sure this is the case in many other countries, too. The factories are just not churning out doses as fast as they could be delivered.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Blitter posted:

You may still get covid and experience mild symptoms.

You may still get covid and be asymptomatic.

You may still be capable of transmitting covid in either case.

FTFY

(It has not been studied whether you can be contagiuos after being vaccinated, so we should assume you can. But you can't say if people will or not.)

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Blitter posted:

I've changed my wording but those cases mentioned previously certainty sounded like they were sufficiently symptomatic to be contagious. At a minimum 6% of those vaccinated will be capable of being contagious..

I wish the record to show that I have no issue with the above statement.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
In local Swedish news, a few hospitals have paused vaccinations of staff (using Astra Zeneca) because it turns out about 200 staff out of 800 vaccinated called in sick due to the side effects (mainly fever). The expected rate from the studies is only 10%. Parts of some hospitals now have trouble operating, leading to the pause. No symptoms observed apart from the expected, though.

They were smart enough to not vaccinate everyone working on the same ward at once, at least.
I guess they'll just proceed at a slower rate.

30% of the vaccinated staff called in sick at this French hospital: https://france3-regions.francetvinf...ns-1954219.html

SchnorkIes posted:

My big question is whether or not the vaccines protect against clotting, myocarditis, and other asymptomatic vascular damage. I feel like the trials were looking at respiratory symptoms/covid toes/anosmia etc. Like is the vaccine just a "get out of ARDS free" card or does it prevent all the long covid and sudden death stuff

Layman's guess? Since the vaccines attempt to stop infection of cells by training the immune cells to identify and neutralize the spike proteins, vaccinated people should see lower-grade infection across all types of cells. Meaning, vascular tissue should be as protected as the tissue in the lungs.
But guess what, it hasn't been studied so no one knows right now. Give it a few months.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 14, 2021

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Blitter posted:

Right, so a significant spike mutation with a very real potential of being similar in aiding escape as the E484K in the SA variant. Bear in mind the A.23.1 lineage just gained the E484K in liverpool the other week, something that has also happened elsewhere.

Giggling silently behind my mask at how much you sound like my cousin when he was 9 and would only talk incessantly about Pokémon and kept rattling off facts about them to whoever was around.

Yeah, those are all important things you're mentioning, I'm sure, but the same recommendation still applies no matter what strain is dominating your neighborhood: Stay the gently caress away from other people so you don't get sick.

Edit: Also this

Inept posted:

everything about covid warrants caution. speculating about what variant may end up being resistant to vaccines in the gbs covid thread isn't useful.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Which model are you using? On a 7700 the curve makes me feel like my glasses will slide off, but I only tried that for a second.
Did you try some double-sided tape across where the glasses sit? You'd have to replace it regularly, I guess.
I also wouldn't be surprised if they sat a little high on the mask, so you'd have to place them further out then normal.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Feb 17, 2021

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Kragger99 posted:

2. This pandemic will become the new flu, where we get to a point where we have to get booster vaccines as it mutates. How long that lasts all depends on how it mutates, and how much more deadlier it becomes. It could become the new normal, and part of everyday life (I give this a 40% chance). This would mean I was doing all I could to keep myself safe and others safe from me from the beginning with my decisions.

I want to start by saying I appreciate the care you take and your conscientiousness in all this.

Then, I want to point out that the most likely mutations we'll see are ones that either
1. Increase contagiousness
2. Decrease deadliness

Simply from natural selection: The virus that kills more hosts will have less chances to spread.

Just in case it allays any of your fears, a deadlier version of the virus is very unlikely to get anywhere.

Of course, with COVID-19 being as deadly as it already is, a more contagious variant (like the UK one) will cause more deaths over time due to the higher likelihood to overwhelm healthcare systems. We are already seeing that variant take over in many countries across Europe and we're waiting for it to be starting "wave 3" any week now.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Pakistani politics posted:

Does anyone else fear another wave or bump or something related to people getting the vaccine and then going, "gently caress you, got mine" and then going maskless? I'm thinking around the 75% (of total americans) mark. Ripping off their masks with gusto in an attempt to return to "normal." And loving over everyone else in the process.

I'm not sure how effective you think the vaccines will be at preventing spread. Reads like you think they won't do any good?

The thing is, they probably will help. It's been unclear for a long time, but early results from the Scottish and Israeli studies are looking good: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-vaccine-effectiveness-preventing-infection-key-return-normalcy/

And even if vaccinated people are just 50% less likely to be contagious, then them being vaccinated is A LOT better than them being unvaccinated but wearing a mask. Masks are, and have always been, a stopgap measure that sort-of-works to limit the viral load for short indoors exposures. Masks were never all that effective at preventing spread from an actively contagious person, indoors. Just slightly better.

So, my point is, even if everyone who is vaccinated started going mask-less, the spread of the disease will slow down compared to before they got their shots. At about 60-80% vaccinated, the disease will die out due to herd immunity.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Blitter posted:

The messaging should continue to be to wear masks, and you are very, very wrong about masks not being effective at reducing viral load and transmission.

There is no shortage of literature, new and old.

How are you so loudly wrong about this one loving year in?

Of course the messaging should be to continue to wear masks - we should not assume 100% efficacy of vaccines and I never said otherwise. What I said was that a few idiots who stop wearing masks will not ruin the world for the rest of us, if they are vaccinated. I'm trying to tell user "Pakistani politics" to not panic about hypothetical mask-less vaccinated people in particular. Vaccine rollout will bring the R number below 1, and there is a pretty good chance that a particular mask-less vaccinated individual is not actually able to transmit the disease.

I get from that graph that masks have some effect at preventing spread but I'm not aware of any community where mask-wearing by itself has been a successful measure. You seem to be saying something like "masks are by themselves effective at stopping Covid spread", correct me if I'm misunderstanding you. The truth is that masks are just one among many layers of protection needed, and not the most effective one at that. (The most effective one being isolation.)

I don't mean to go and derail the thread into a mask/anti-mask discussion, I'm really not opposed to mask wearing like you seem to be assuming. I'm just worried about how many people seem to think that as long as they're wearing a mask, it's fine to go ahead and hang with your friends etc. That attitude is getting people killed everyday and I think it's sad and unnecessary. The public are clearly not educated about the swiss-cheese model of protection.

teen witch posted:

If they had the Covid one year ago thing for Sweden you can show poo poo from six months ago and it’ll be drat near identical.

This pandemic loving obliterated my little trust in the government here and I was an idiot for having it in the first place. I’m an American, I should have known better. But I’m just floored at the stubborn incompetency of it all.

I weirdly keep thinking about the end quote from Fargo “There's more to life than a little money, ya know. Don'tcha know that? And here ya are. And it's a beautiful day. Well. I just don't understand it.”

I don't mean to defend any particular idiotic statements (because I don't know which particular ones you're referring to) but at this point I don't see that Sweden has done that much worse than other countries in terms of deaths per capita. We did have a huge amount of elderly people die in spring 2020, disproportionally more than comparable countries, but since then I don't think it's been worse than others. I track 128.6 deaths per 100k right now at https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51235105 which puts us between France and Brazil on the list.

Edit edit: I guess in any country, you could always say that the lockdowns could have been harder and lives would have been saved, I guess that's not an unreasonable opinion to have if that's your case.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 2, 2021

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

freebooter posted:

You should of course wear your mask in places like American and Europe where the pandemic is rampant, but I still think the notion that masks were a significant factor in East Asia handling it is cargo cult epidemiology - Americans looking at a bunch of Asians wearing masks and thinking "oh it's just that easy." Japan, South Korea, and most definitely Taiwan also closed their borders to some extent and had proper contact tracing, testing and isolation measures. Masks are a last resort, not a first resort.

Spot on. China and Korea succeeded because of a default tendency for people to trust and accept authorities, and strong peer pressure, combined with pretty draconian measures by their governments. Japan has the same tendency to somewhat lesser extent and has done slightly worse as a result.
That they all have a habit of wearing surgical masks when ill probably contributes but there has been absolutely 0 evidence to say that this was the key factor.

I am not in the least surprised that Sweden or the USA, where people value individual freedom over respecting authority, have done a lot worse at stopping spread.
In Korea, the government pulled people's credit card history and cell phone locations, to see who had been near an outbreak. Would the American public have accepted that measure, if it were legal? You can't have your cake and eat it, too.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/feb/05/south-korea-covid-quarantine-britain-tested-positive

quote:

The test results came back the next morning and I was surprised to find out that I was positive, since I had no symptoms. What shocked me was that officials from the local district’s public health service then came to take me to a government facility. Not long after I was taken away, more officials in full PPE came to disinfect our apartment, check on my parents and tell them to get tested.

Self-quarantining at home if you have Covid-19, no matter how mild the symptoms, is not an option in Korea. Thus began my 14-day stay in a youth hostel in the heart of Seoul that had been converted to a quarantine facility for mildly symptomatic Covid-19 patients.
Edit:

Antigravitas posted:

This is hysterically out of touch with reality.

The WHO has its status by the graces of sovereign nations. It does not have powers except insofar as sovereign nations allow it to have any. The WHO has no mandate except insofar as sovereign nations give it one.

Isn't that basically what Xaintrailles said? Your post comes off as pretty aggressive for someone agreeing with someone else.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Mar 2, 2021

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

sale on Banksy art posted:

Japan did jack and poo poo. In fact Japan promoted a domestic travel and dining out campaign throughout a large part of 2020.

I'm pretty sure Japan closed their borders early on, at least to foreign travelers. Which I wish had been possible in the EU, but unfortunately the free movement of labor and goods has continued to trump safety.

teen witch posted:

Swedes are way WAAAAY more trusting of the government and respecting authority to a really ridiculous fault, especially compared to the US. The issue here is when the government and authority is repeating bafflingly stupid poo poo, and the people don’t question it (among other factors, but this is a big one), is how we got here. There are some similarities with Sweden and the US but many key differences.

Well we do tend to trust authorities but at the same time Swedes have extremely individualist values, according to international surveys. (As opposed to collectivist values like those prevalent in East Asia.)
There are lots of publications about this but here, have one: https://www.hofstede-insights.com/country/sweden/

quote:

In Individualist societies people are supposed to look after themselves and their direct family only. In Collectivist societies people belong to ‘in groups’ that take care of them in exchange for loyalty.

Sweden, with a score of 71 is an Individualist society. This means there is a high preference for a loosely-knit social framework in which individuals are expected to take care of themselves and their immediate families only

And similarly,
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00141844.1991.9981433

quote:

Swedish mentality seems to have two opposing tendencies: one towards individualism and the other towards collectivity. The explanation for this is the different meaning that can be given to the concept of individualism. Swedes seem to need social autonomy strongly and not to be dependent on other individuals, such as neighbors, relatives, employers, and so on. At the same time, Swedes seem to need collective support for their opinions. Collective solutions are a hallmark of Swedish society and dominate Swedish politics. Survey data are used to illustrate this theme empirically.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 2, 2021

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

sale on Banksy art posted:

If it's not masks and social distancing, I really don't know why Japan has not had more deaths.

I never saw a more socially distanced people than Japan. More single-person households than probably anywhere in the world. Close down the bars and love hotels and they have no place to meet anyone.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Thom Yorke raps posted:

So uhhh Biden is saying we will have enough vaccine doses by May? How much should I trust the politician on that? I just started trying to schedule this surgery, I can put it off for awhile so I set it for August... But if we're gonna be vaccinated, I wanna move that up to June or July... but would hate to do that, and then NOT be vaccinated, and have to be in the hospital unvaccinated.

I guess random goons probably can't answer "How full of crap is this politician", but figured I'd ask

The US is doing very very well on the pace of vaccines right now. The climb is steady and slowly accelerating so it seems reasonable to move some projections up. J&J being added to the mix should only help bring this up faster.
For comparison, most of Europe has only gotten the first dose out to 4-8% of their population due to limited supply from the manufacturers, while the US is now at 16%.

yook posted:

Given 4 states are dropping COVID restrictions at the mere promise of a vaccine and the way my work commute is nearly back to where it was pre-pandemic, I’m not sure you can assume on maintaining a similar level of personal safety going forward without having at least some kind of vaccine yourself unless you just literally never leave your bunker.

Well there are still those of us who are able to work completely from home and order home delivery for everything. Those people should continue to do that even if vaccinated, and they might not be the ones that should worry too much about getting the shot right now - but should of course still take it when offered.

The thing is, as was already posted on the last page, if you get the J&J shot now and it turns out to be crap, you can still get one of the other vaccines later, when there is a surplus. And no one will be offered a choice of vaccines, so the choice is 65% efficacy (at 28 days out) or 0% because you declined it.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Mar 5, 2021

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Bronze Fonz posted:

Went to do groceries this morning and almost got into a fight twice with people who didn't like getting told to wear their loving mask in front of their faces instead of their necks.
One of 'em had to be asked to leave by security because he couldn't stop yelling that I'm a fag, that I should send in my resume if I wanna work there.
I told the security guy "dude I only asked he wear his loving mask" he said "I know, we deal with this everyday".

Is there any special trick to tolerating these people easier? How do you deal with people not giving a poo poo?

I try to calm myself down but any close interaction with someone not wearing a mask or worse, has a mask in sight but just doesn't put it on their loving face, I loving lose it. I try to remain calm but I can't help but say something and it's a miracle I haven't gotten into a fight yet. I try to limit as much as possible my store outings but it's not like it can be completely avoided. How do you deal with these people?

Dude, I feel you.
There is no mask mandate here in Sweden except for in hospitals, but I can't count the number of people I had to tell to "could you please make sure to stand at least 2 meters behind me in line? Thanks!" before I started really avoiding the supermarkets. (People have so far been compliant and apologetic, I think most of them were just distracted. I have trouble imagining how someone could be distracted from something that could literally kill them but that's apparently how some people work? I've also seen people driving without a seatbelt so :shrug:.)

We started ordering groceries weekly for delivery or curbside pickup in December, as a pre-christmas self-isolation thing, and we didn't really stop.

The added expense is worth my peace of mind for not having to get upset about idiots constantly. Weed would have been an option, but considerably more expensive, and the risk to my life would be higher.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Blitter posted:

Just a reminder to be safe and ignore dipshits and their baseless optimism.

Seconded, that guy is clearly an idiot.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 11, 2021

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

I suppose if your husband/son/dad dies, your quality of life will be impacted?

Or it's because, as they state in the report, that a consistently greater number of women than men have been furloughed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

FiskTireBoy posted:

Like 75% of cops I've seen in the past year haven't worn a mask at all. And I've mostly seen them talking to other folks in close proximity. I'm guessing most cops are chuds so that probably explains it.

They might also have already had Covid sometime last year, or whatever. We don't gotta speculate.