Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

WaffleZombie posted:

Hey, what did Hank and Dean ever do to you?

Maybe they were wronged by malcom and rusty....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Zero One posted:

Goons have been self-quarantined for decades. Now we will inherit the Earth.

Huh, Rush was right after all, the meek will inherit the earth

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

MrOzzy posted:

Heh, flatlined :-D

Number go down?!?

Also: where’s tromp giving that poo poo eating grin saying “how are your 401ks doing”?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I’m at the airport and flying home. Maybe I’ll stop by the admirals club in Miami and liberate the TP from every stall to take home and sell on the brown market

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Hazo posted:

True dark times loom when Disney WORLD shuts down because that’s basically the entire economy of Orlando.

Disneyland in CA has shut down. Has WDW in Orlando shut down too? That’s the first I’ve heard of it.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

James Woods posted:

On the way to Moscow. All the flight attendants and security staff are swearing under thier breath in Spanish and Russian about how much they hate all travelers and want us all to die since we probably already infected them. I imagine this is common anywhere you travel these days and agree with the poster earlier in the thread that said that the airline workers may likely strike before all flights are canceled for unsafe work conditions. I'll check back once I'm infecting people in the Big Apple.

The normally surly AA flight crews have been surprisingly happy. I don’t know if it’s because they’re just glad to be working as I’ve heard many have been furloughed (is that the right word), or if they’ve got brain worms.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Mordja posted:

They've figured out why there are so few infections in India.

:laugh:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

:lol: stonks set to hit the limit break as the market collapses again tomorrow morning.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Can we send the UK an IOU on thoughts and prayers? Looks like they’re going to need a lot and we’ll be spread too thin giving them out over here

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I'm going to avoid the playground since schools are shut here, but it's safe to still go on walks, right? As long as we stay away from others.

Yes, going outside is fine. If you’re in large crowds, it’s not, but if you’re taking your kids out for a walk, it’s fine.

With all my free time at home, I’ll still be going out and running as I rarely run into other people when I do.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

:lol:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

It’s off and running again and dropping like a rock

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Is “I still have a job” going to be the next humblebrag?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Rubellavator posted:

Stellar advice from my apartment complex

Did they give you a magnifying glass to read it with?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Doug Sisk posted:

He has no symptoms, but got tested?

His symptoms included:

[X] Being famous
[X] Being wealthy

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Stelio Kontos posted:

Statewide ban on bars serving liquor started at 5 lol
:lol: nope MeatLiquor’s back on the menu boys!

Orlando restaurants can continue serving alcohol

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

That’s probably a lot more comfortable than a pile of gold and jewels.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Hopper posted:

Unfortunately people still don't take the social distancing very seriously in Germany, this will probably only change once everybody has a death or severe case in their circle of friends and family.

Yeah, I have a feeling this is the only way people are going to take it seriously.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

If that doesn't help, maybe this will:

Also, probably not, but :shrug:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Dixville posted:

So I'm not actually sure if my work is actually supposed to be open right now. I'm a small animal veterinarian in California. I thought that veterinarians were essential but California declared a lockdown for everyone except their 16 essential sectors. When i look at the website the closest thing would be food/agriculture but technically we're not working with livestock so... i don't know, apparently some vet clinics around here have closed. We are still open though. I'm part of a corporation too so we're going by their guidance mostly. We are wearing ppe with pets and only having clients drop off the pets, no exam room appointments. Part of me wonders if this ppe is needed by our medical colleagues and we shouldn't be using it (and should close instead). This is all so crazy

If you ate more protein as a child, you could have been a large animal veterinarian. Or, you could just eat a lot of fatty/carb laden foods.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Andrast posted:

A free ämpäri (plastic bucket) is one of the few things that will get finnish people to congregate like that

Speaking of Finns, where’s Jerry Cotton? I swear he posts in every thread and I haven’t seen anything from him in a while.

Hazo posted:

People are already suffering

:lmbo:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

WaffleZombie posted:

My "some businesses don't get it" story:

I got laid off at the end of December. Last Wednesday, I was offered a job. It's kind of a poo poo job comparatively - just a three month contract, about 40% of my previous salary. I stated filling out the paperwork and I found out that a drug screen was going to be part of the background check. I called my recruiter and basically said, "uh, I've been isolated for a week now and I don't want to go out unless it's absolutely necessary. Any chance they could waive it? There's a pandemic.". Friday afternoon, they passed this response along:

No, you fuckers, my home is the safest place I can be! And I know they're not collecting roni tests there, but I also know that some idiot with symptoms doesn't know that and will just show up.

I know I'm in an extremely privileged position, getting a job offer while so many are getting laid off, but it sucks. When I first agreed to interview for the position two weeks ago, I thought, "eh, it's not great, but it's something to do while I continue looking". But as we've watched the economy crumble since then, I've worried that I have to take this because maybe my other prospects are about to disappear. But if I have to get sick to get the job, well it's a contract, so no sick pay and all I've got to show for it is the roni. As it stands, I'm going to slow walk it as I have until Wednesday. I live in PA, and they're considering a stay at home order to match every other state around us so maybe that will save me.

On a related note, I work in the pharmaceutical industry with clinical drug trials. I'm going to try and put together an effort post tomorrow about my experience working on several vaccine studies.
who

Hey, I work for a CRO in clinical drug trials on vaccines as well as a CRA, look forward to the post. Good luck!

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

i am harry posted:

Bing tracker says it took the world 3 days to go from 200,000 infected to 300,000 infected. . .

Keep in mind these cases were likely out there, they just weren't being tested. Now that tests are more available, number go up

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Fatkraken posted:

iceland rocks, that would be an INCREDIBLE dataset

is there's an antibody test that catches recovered cases? also have they closed the borders? probably one of the easiest countries to do that

They could do genetic tests and see how many spouses are from the same family

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Mox Hombre posted:

looks like there are a lot of false positives showing up in the tests, throwing doubt on the number of 50% people being asymptomatic. it did seem weird to me how such a virus would not trigger immune responses in such a large percentage of the people. how else would the body get rid of it then?

Going pee, naturally. Virus is stored in the balls

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

tripwood posted:

I was also wondering this today, any science goons can tell us how dumb or not this reasoning is?

Short answer: Yes, it's possible.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

PederP posted:

Oh, and one of my wife's relatives (same chronic illness - Lupus) went almost completely blind on one eye from hydroxychloroquine. So if this is going to be given in large doses to the entire human race, stocks in companies making glasses is probably where's it going to be at.

Other possible suggestions:

maybe the companies that make those red and white canes (not of the candy variety)

Seeing eye dog training companies

Glass eyeball artists

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

monkeytennis posted:

Boris is on TV. UK locked down, everyone to stay home except for commuting if you can’t work from home, food and medicine shopping as seldom as possible and one period of outdoor exercise per day.

Has anyone said "Keep calm and COVID on yet" :smug:

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

Lujan-Grisham is about to announce a stay at home order

my HR department is going to debate what that means for me at 10PM this evening when my shift (might) start

Who?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

There are several craft breweries around my place that are offering growler/growler deliveries for free. Gonna stock up with out stepping out

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

I should mention that I am young, have no health issues, cook my own food, only drink water, don't smoke, exercise and walk a few miles most days, So its not that the young and healthy get "lesser" symptoms, they are just unlikely to straight up die from them.

Did you take any ibuprofen?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Hopes Fall posted:

Not one that came with a built-in lawn bitch. And he still can't legally rent the place, which takes me back to... If he fucks me, I gently caress him.

So at least you’ll give him the common courtesy of a reach around

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Spinz posted:

Anything like this probably is
Try tylenol before ibuprofen
Tho I would take nothing as long as I can stand it
Oc ianad but a voracious reader

Do not drink booze or smoke anything

Hydrating also good

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Hadlock posted:

There is a new, substantial study, saying that N95 masks can be stelilized of the virus by cooking @ 160F for 30 min

Less substantial study saying you can sterilize by putting masks outside for 3 hours, rotating every 30 min due to UV from the sun

I don't take responsibility if you die from the roni, but hope this helps

Also, you should be able to decontaminate a mask by taking it out of use for 72 hours, but whatever. Kind of odd that hospitals are "running out" of masks. We leave our groceries in the entry hall for 3 days to disinfect.

edit: apparently a dry rice cooker will heat to ~165F which makes for an easy covid-19 sanitizer

When I was a RN in the hospital, they didn't stock too many N95 masks because you almost never needed them. For this, nobody prepared properly and by the time they did, there weren't enough to go around as prices shot up.

My US Rep gave a call last night for healthcare workers and nobody has appropriate PPE. She was pretty adamant that the US/trump admin/CDC/etc hosed up big time and didn't prepare well.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Pistol_Pete posted:

As someone else said: you can always get another job; you can't get a new pair of lungs.

Alternatively, stay more than 6 feet away from your idiot coworkers and keep your job? Sounds like you’re already cleaning your work area properly.

You do you, but if it meant keeping or losing my job/healthcare and I had it set up where I could still do that safely by appropriately social distancing, why wouldn’t I?

E: if your work environment is as you say and you’re able to stay away from the idiots you work with, you’ll likely be more exposed to people/the virus by going to the grocery store. Will you stop doing that as well?

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Mar 25, 2020

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

purple death ray posted:

I wouldn't lose my job and I have stocked up to the point that yes I will stop going to the grocery store, at least for a couple of weeks, and I had been doing in-car pick up at the walmart prior to this.

Addtl info is that my direct supervisor has been out for over 2 weeks already & is still waiting to hear the results of the covid-19 test he took last week. Says he's recovering though.

e: like Im not going to the grocery store for a few weeks either way

In that case, stay home

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

They aren't going to riot. There are also not going to be dead bodies just lying in the street with no one coming to get them wtf

Shhh... don’t tell that to the Tampa Maoist Collective

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Today is a sad day. The masturbation convention is in danger of being canceled :smith:

Bate Con 2020|BateCon 2020 - the largest public masturbation exhibition in the USA | National Masturbation Convention 2020

quote:

BateCon is the largest public masturbation exhibition in the USA. Taking place over four days, BateCon was created for like-minded adults who are looking to socially connect through the act of masturbation. Normally, it’s regarded as a private act, but we here at BateCon believe masturbation is a great tool for social bonding.

No matter how you like to touch yourself, there’s something for everyone (over 18) at BateCon. Want add a little spice with a new toy or technique? Then shop from our expansive trade show floor or catch one of our many educational seminars. Want to meet a BateCon celebrity and take some photos with them? There are several attending they’re right here to share a good time with you! Are you in the mood for a live performance? We have a full-blown shows centered around edging, squirting, and sex toy demonstration. Plus, our very own Kings and Queens of Masturbation will be crowned on the final night. Are you ambitious and like to show others what makes you feel good?

Make your way to one of our most popular show features, our group masturbation rooms! No matter your gender or orientation, we’ve got you covered with rooms designated for all preferences and combinations.

its not real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Here’s another consequence incoming:

U.S. home healthcare industry warns of possible 'collapse'

quote:

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Home healthcare providers, the lifelines to 12 million vulnerable Americans, are scrambling to decide how to serve patients who show symptoms of coronavirus — and how to ensure that the providers themselves neither catch nor spread it.

N95 masks are prepared to be shipped at the Afya Warehouse, a non-profit medical supply recovery organization, during the outbreak of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) in Yonkers, New York, U.S. March 25, 2020. REUTERS/Lila Engelbrecht
A Texas-based company operating in 26 states instructed its caregivers to leave the homes of clients who recently traveled from states with “widespread community transmission” or who had contact with anyone screened for coronavirus, regardless of whether that person tested positive, according to an internal directive reviewed by Reuters.

In Ohio, a group representing hundreds of providers warned the governor last week of “a sense of impending doom that things are collapsing.” Companies there said they need financial help and protective gear to continue home care.

And in New York, America’s epicenter of coronavirus cases, trade groups said dozens of caregivers have left their jobs and their patients, hurting efforts to swiftly screen at-risk adults and slow the spread of the virus.

“It’s a hair-on-fire crisis,” said Roger Noyes, spokesman for New York’s Home Care Association.

As hospitals continue to handle an influx of coronavirus cases, patients who need care but are not critically ill are likely to be sent home. If home care providers can’t stay afloat or decline to offer services, those patients will “face a rapid, immediately life-threatening deterioration” of their health, said Al Cardillo, president of the New York group.

I’ve already seen nurses that are fed up with the hospital bullshit and quite a few are just quitting. We’re not like Italy or China. Since it started elsewhere, people have had a chance to see how the virus has ravaged medical staff across the globe. If hospitals can’t provide proper PPE, doctors, nurses, assistants are just gonna say gently caress this and walk rather than sacrifice themselves.

I can’t blame them either.