Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Pick posted:

Like, the idea over here is, you should go to work unless you are literally so sick that you cannot do the work. It doesn't matter if you feel like poo poo, literally are you able to move around and speak. If so, you are supposed to come to work. In the last three years, I have taken I think two days in total off for illness, and those werent full days, even though one of them was because I was in the hospital. But I still showed up for a few hours to pick up stuff.

Most places don’t even offer any leave, let alone sick leave, so missing a day of work because you are literally dying means you miss a day of pay if not outright fired.

Or if they do offer leave, its two weeks of PTO and you are incentives NEVER to use it because you will miss work quotas or you kiss that vacation you spent the last two years saving up for goodbye.

I won’t even touch on the massive medical debt you WILL have for daring to even visit a hospital with this virus.

Seriously this virus will lay bare alot of structural problems with our American Hyper-capitalist bootstraps society and it really doesn’t have to kill that many people to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

smoobles posted:

Holy poo poo Italy just banned public gatherings.

Can someone catch me up on why Italy is so hosed in particular by COVID? Did it just get there earlier?

They have one of if not THE oldest populations in Europe and the population is very dense, most live in very crowded cities. This makes them especially vulnerable.