Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Louisgod posted:

Honestly, if anybody still has the ability to hit up a grocery store now to stock up on food, now's the time. Easy to give people poo poo for "panic shopping" when most people only meal prep a week out, so having kids at home means you have to plan for them as well. Best to stock up on everything so you don't have to leave the house for 3 or 4 weeks.

I mean it's easy to flick poo poo to people for hoarding but most americans don't have a pantry full of backup food because everybody lives paycheck to paycheck. It's incredibly hosed up.

Also a normal week's supply of food (and TP) are not going to last a week with everyone home full time. No eating out, no school lunches, and no poopin on company time means your supplies may not go as far as you normally expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Hazo posted:

My wife and I were at the bank this morning to deposit our tax return and there was an old white guy LOUDLY ranting about how ridiculous this all was, how "it's no worse than AIDS, hardly anybody gets it!"

Dude sounded barely coherent, like he was drunk or post-stroke or just loving old and crazy. There's your base, Trump.

What the gently caress are you doing in person at a bank? It's 2020 you dumb gently caress.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Thermometers. Go to your local auto parts store and ask for the cheapest non-contact infrared thermometer. Probably a bunch on auto zone shelves because people don't realize it's a goddamn thermometer. Or rockauto, amazon, you know, anywhere else that sells thermometers for measuring exhaust pipe temps.

Be sure to add 1F to the forehead temperature, it's not the same as you would read inside your mouth.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

a little late but louisianas coming in hot with the nations highest infection rate per capita, with new orleans at the epicenter. i can’t tell what part of the roller coaster im on anymore.

Guess where my brother and SIL decided to go this weekend? Couldn't possibly cancel that trip.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I've had a swab taken before, about a decade ago. They must have told me what they were going to do, but I don't think you can understand what is about to happen just from words. I was so sick, I barely wanted to move. I still just about strangled the nurse when she did it.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Hazo posted:

I lost my very last contact lens in the shower this weekend so now I had to scramble to find a doctor that's taking appointments just so I can get a new prescription

As a bonus my brand new vision insurance doesn't kick in until Sunday so it's all coming out of pocket

A friend of mine said 1800 contacts was filling orders without an updated prescription.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
My car insurance is going to be refunding 15% of my premiums for the next two months (at least) due to lowered claims.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Risky Bisquick posted:

My work is having a zoom social where we drink. I think it's a secret ploy to find people to let go.

I hosted a drawful game with work people, and joked that the drawings would be used in the next employee review cycle. I no longer find that joke funny and will not repeat it.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

numberoneposter posted:

are we wearing masks yet? we have been doing the isolation thing pretty good, i think masks is next.

New Jersey is now requiring anyone in a store to wear a mask or at least something on your face. Employee or customer. If you don't wear a mask??? It's kind of empty on that part.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

molestrios posted:

Yo these are rural, rural arkansas people. They give no fucks lol

e: just looked it up, the county only has one case so far and people will be driving from out of state to this. Ah well cripes

I was gonna say do a funeral on a video call, but good luck with that.

You do whatever you can to do right for yourself. I feel like the best way to honor someone who has died from this is to not get sick yourself, and importantly, not get anyone else sick.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

A White Guy posted:

gently caress you Mercury Insurance, every other big name carrier did something for their customers except you. I'm gonna use the stimulus payment to pay off the rest of my insurance and then I'm going to change carriers next year.

You can just change whenever and get a refund of any unused premium form your current carrier.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I got my Trump bucks, but I don't really need them. I could use them to subsidize the grocery delivery fees I'm now paying, but it feels kind of like dirty money I don't want. Where could it be most useful? Not sending it to any one person, especially anyone who posts here.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I went out for the first time in a few weeks. I knew what's going on out there, but to see it feels surreal.

The crowded parking lots at Costco, BJs, and Trader Joes, along with the spaced out lines. The empty parking lots everywhere else, except for Lowe's. A middle eastern grocery store had a couple cars out front, and a big sign that said "WE ARE OPEN".

A farmer's market that we like is doing a prix-fixe drive through deal. They're set up in their parking lot. You drive up, they hold a card reader out to you on a stick, you pop your trunk, they load it in, and you drive off. Everyone is wearing masks. It's nice, but at the same time strange.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

BLOWJOBS IN THIS CLIMATE?!

Only if you have a 6 foot cock.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I realized that I should be washing my hands/groceries more often anyway. If I pick up a poo-covered apple with my filthy hands and shove it directly into my dirty mouth, that seems like a bad idea regardless of the circumstances.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

golden bubble posted:

China only had half the world production for N95s before the crisis. There are some US manufacturing capacity for it, but not that much.

https://www.wired.com/story/defense-production-act-n95-masks-shortage-covid-19/

Electrostatic non-woven meltblown fabric is some bullshit, and it makes sense why it takes time to get these machines online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHPbJtq4YJc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F75Q4wFaOGg

When I checked the packages of N95s I had a while ago, they were from either Mexico or Ireland. I don't know where the material was made though.

I had a meeting with my boss today, and he was saying how we spend $$$ for our office in Manhattan, and we could send everybody to Cancun every month to workshop or whatever and still come out ahead. I was already WFH, but we may go 100% remote after this. Commercial real estate may tank, but Hotel and Resorts may see an uptick?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Also, don't think this is an N95 machine but lol look at all that non-organic super fine fiber partible poo poo flying around in there, all those people have lung cancer now. An hour in there is probably equivalent to working in an asbestos mine for a lifetime. There's white fuzz everywhere even though they just wiped down everything. Lady in the corner knitting isn't even wearing a mask.

They need to wear some of the n95 masks they are making. But how do you start from 0 masks?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Is https://www.whitehousegiftshop.com affiliated in any way with the actual white house? Like the National Collector's Mint. It's very :911: but seems like it could be somebody just making a buck?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Also, DON'T loving TOUCH YOUR MASK OR FACE, THE MASK IS TO KEEP THE BAD OUT, TOUCHING YOUR FACE BRINGS THE BAD ONTO YOUR HANDS AND THEN ONTO YOUR FACE.

It also deforms the mask keeping it from sealing on your face correctly. I'm assuming you ever had a good seal in the first place.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Fargin Icehole posted:

Personally I can't wait until Hollywood script writers can capitalize on this worldwide pandemic and all the death and suffering.

Five feet apart came last year, time for the sequel six feet apart.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Azathoth Prime posted:

I'm using Facebook to stay in touch with my friends and family that are scattered all over the country (and world, in some cases). I live alone, and isolation is definitely a problem. Boomerbook helps me feel connected to my loved ones. And because my friends are (mostly) awesome people, it also helps me see that there is still some sanity in the world outside of the SA bubble.

The way I manage the stress from it is by being ruthless about muting and eventually unfriending people who post terrible crap.

I deleted my account when I saw a notification about a stranger commenting on a different stranger's photo. A distant friend had also commented on the photo a couple days earlier. I haven't regretted it.

I'm seeing more of some of my friends now than I did before. I've been organizing a video call every Saturday afternoon. I put the link up, whoever can join, joins. If somebody has a conflict, I'll move it, or just do both times, but they have to tell me what time. If they can only join for a couple minutes, that's cool too. I think keeping it 0-pressure is key for my sanity.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

zer0spunk posted:

Did anyone mention trump talking about mobilizing the military to deliver the vaccine at the end of the year? The anti vaxx people must be going even more insane right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCwlV_94kPE

They did use the national guard here in NJ to set up some of the initial testing centers, and that seemed to work out fine. They have field hospital tents and other stuff you would need to do a mass vaccination program.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I've been thinking about how many people don't wash their hands after using the bathroom. Or don't use the rings/tissue when doing self serve bakery. Or cough and sneeze without covering their mouth. Or the guy who called me a Hillary loving libtard for following a yield sign. Now we need all those people to wear a mask. gently caress.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Target had curbside pickup already. If you get a boyscout, they scan the barcode from your phone through your rolled up window. Mostly they just put it in your trunk without even looking at you.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Diva Cupcake posted:

The higher res one was in the comments.

It's not even a contiguous region of yellow.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

Can't even call it a loving OTB like the civilized world.

How is :ohio: not an thing?

The ones I've seen are at the actual track, so off-track wouldn't make any sense.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
They should just turn the elevators to sabbath mode. It goes up to the top floor, and then stops on every floor going down without any buttons pressed.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
It showed up on my android phone, but it's not on because you need some app. It doesn't say what app, just "a participating app" with no indication of how to find one.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Mithaldu posted:

Number go wheee.

(Keep in mind this is logarithmic.)

Who's the nearly vertical line about 5 below Germany?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

boar guy posted:

probably a lot easier in terms of classroom management, anyway

It depends on which kids are not there. They could be left with the difficult kids.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The number of deaths doesn't seem to be growing. Not growing yet might be implied there, but hopefully NY and NJ learned some lessons in treatment that others will have learned from. Until we fill up the hospitals at least.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
You have a constitutional right to be a dumbass. But that doesn't mean you have to, or encourage others to do so.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Somehow all the feedback on this is positive? Your comfort level has nothing to do with this. The virus doesn't care what color wristband you put on.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
How do you not end up totally sunburned?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Yes, I'm aware of sunscreen. I'm just saying people drinking and laying out in full sun in a swimsuit all aren't usually putting it on. They also don't care about the pandemic, and apparently they think their rivers are a circle too.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

schmug posted:

Does this mean I can stop washing and sanitizing my hands constantly as well? I put it more into that category than the actual whether or not there is food born transmissions going on.

I go the grocery every two weeks or so and the last time I was there I literally saw a cashier blow her nose, stuff the kleenex back into her pocket, and then continue to ring up the person in front of me without even sanitizing her hands first. I dunno, but I just feel better wiping poo poo down when I get home. At the very least I feel it mitigates the chances of transfer no matter how small.

gently caress. I may keep doing it after all this poo poo is over. Just look around you the next time you're in a store. Turns out people are gross af.

Yeah, I was thinking about how the bathrooms are right next to open bins of produce. How many people were washing hands before? I should have been washing my fruit and veggies better for a long time.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Grainger has some r95 available. R95 is n95 but also rated for oil-based particulates. loving expensive though.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here's a handy chart you can post any time any of your idiot relatives plan on going to a bar or a buffet

So what would a 10 be?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Thank god I'm in NJ where a trained professional pumps the gas for me. Really enjoy involving a face to face interaction for no good reason.

Thankfully I've only had to fill up once in the last 3 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
HD Supply has some N100s: https://hdsupplysolutions.com/p/respiratory-protection-00-90-65/3m-n100-particulate-disposable-respirator-with-exhaust-valve-p641525

$15 each, ouch.