Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
From what I've heard nursing courses tend to and be cut throat and have a high washout rate. And again hearsay says that the nurses that don't actually care tend to get out of the profession within a couple of years of entering it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Rutibex posted:

it should be declared that eviction/foreclosure is illegal during the crisis

It's illegal to not properly declare your income but that didn't stop the people most likely to be evicted, so I don't see how declaring it to be illegal to evict them will actually stop anyone from getting forced out by their slumlord.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Rutibex posted:

the police have to evict people. if the police are instructed not to evict people than it wont happen

You can expect a sudden rise in emergency evictions because the tenant is "destroying the property", which I guarantee you will not be stopped. Anything at all wrong with the property will be trotted out as evidence of ongoing damage. Trust me, slumlords have no shame and know how to use the system to their advantage.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Klyith posted:

A few court systems are going to stop processing evictions entirely, no matter the cause.

Which is when you see a rise in private parties enforcing the evictions off the books, and the DA not giving a single gently caress about it. Do not count on the law to protect the poorest and most vulnerable.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Jadedfox89 posted:

Just found out my mom lost her job for the next 5 months or longer

She's in education or what?

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Spinz posted:

I'm going to ask once again, I must be missing something. Medical knowledge goons, what is it?

A vaccine takes way too long. In the meantime, why isn't there a huge focus on a medicine/drug that lessens the action in the lungs that causes death - not a prevention but a lessening of the severity?

gently caress with the spikes abilities to go into those ACE 2 or we protein receptors
?

Isn't this easier?

They've been throwing stuff at the wall in terms of trying to find effective antiviral treatments. Doctors are allowed to use stuff in off-label ways, but that's not good science and if it isn't backed up by research the observed effects could be literal wishful thinking. A lot of effort goes into creating research which is bias free specifically because we humans are biased and fallible.

So the practical effect is that doctors will try anything they think might work based on what they know about viral replication and what they've heard from other doctors and research on related coronaviruses, and if they notice anything seeming to work they share their notes in articles which are not peer reviewed but which are published in an emergency measure. Then other doctors can try it, and everyone's got a chance to compare notes; but until the research is done properly in double-blind studies with peer review then it is at best a recommendation and not an indication.

That's all using existing, already proven safe, drugs.
Making a new drug takes just as long, if not longer, than making a new vaccine.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Isn't this the stuff that has the 1% likelihood of making you go blind?

1% chance of blindness vs 2% chance of death.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Google Butt posted:

how do i know what type my blood is

Check your birth certificate.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

...I didn't give a poo poo that day. Called my manager, said "You won't be seeing me tomorrow and until we're told it's safe to return to normal." ...

Why didn't you walk out? Your minimum wage job wasn't worth your health was it?

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

I get paid far above minimum wage and I had the courtesy to my older coworkers to at least stock the store as much as possible before I hosed off, and also gently caress off.

Hey I'm not the one getting indignant about a job where the management won't treat health risks seriously. You are. If it was worth getting your ire up over now, why wasn't it worth walking when you recognized you had a problem? Why wasn't it worth talking your coworkers into walking too? Your complaining reeks of helplessness but you had agency throughout the entire day.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

teen witch posted:

Yeah you’re the monster, cashier who has zero agency if management wants to close or not!! gently caress you and gently caress your incredibly precarious situation amplified by an unprecedented global pandemic!!!

Not calling him a monster. Just pointing out he could have walked whenever he wanted. People work because they have to, sure, but they can always choose to make hard decisions. He's not helpless, he had nothing tethering him to a job that he'd had enough of besides the promise of pay that will not serve him very well if he spreads covid-19 from one of his loser customers to people he cares about.

I literally said I was talking to them constantly about collectively leaving in my post. I consciously made the decision to leave after another coworker did so that it would better impress on the management that they needed to shut down. I gave my coworkers fair warning and also urged my manager to make moves to shut down the store. What more do you want? Or are you just committed to annoying needling. Should I have loving blown the place up while I was at it?

I didn't see that. Maybe I just suck at reading comprehension, but if your account about talking to your coworkers and giving your manager your perspective is there I'm sorry I missed it. It changes the entire story if you're talking to them and then leaving after you made your phone call saying you weren't showing up again. I disagree with taking time to help stock, but I get it. You don't want to leave people you actually like in more of a lurch than you need to.

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Mar 19, 2020

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Not only was I not a cashier but mocking someone's job position like some hauty country club geriatric is some purestrain rear end in a top hat poo poo.

You know, now that I'm really thinking about it, I think what bothered me the most was your tone in your story. It'd have been affirming and reassuring to see some sort of confident message about having been sure you did the right thing, that you made a hard choice and you're proud of it. Because you did do the right thing, and you should be proud that you took a stand. It's sort of a foreign thing for many workers to hit their limit and say "I've had enough of this poo poo," precisely because we're in uncertain times. I'm sorry for picking on you; I was working through thinking about it while posting.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

PederP posted:

They're not going herd immunity. They're going for cull the weak.

That is literally what capitalism does.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Inept posted:

why would you write an article about a random maga facebook lady dying

like yeah of course people are going to die thinking it was being overblown. no need to single out one idiot and post their family's photos when they're sad she's dead

On the one hand it is ghoulish and distasteful.
On the other hand the deceased's family made the decision to make her death public and pass around the hat for donations. The deceased made the decision to make a very public and very nuanced statement. Neither of these facts make the gawking less ghoulish, but they do drop the threshold for someone to comment; being a public figure or interacting with the public is an invitation to the public to comment on not just your ideas but your lifestyle choices and the ultimate results of those choices, even if the end result is fatal.

It's not classy, it's not morally "right", but it is what people do.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Son of Rodney posted:

On a more serious note I'm noticing hardcore quarantine fatigue both for myself and the people around me. My girlfriend had a breakdown two days ago since she doesn't have a job, can't apply, gets no benefits and can't go out to distract herself. She's staying with me for free but it still breaks my heart to see her so stressed. Other people are going out more again and even I as a natural homebody am struggling to stay indoors.

Why can't she apply to places?

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

zer0spunk posted:

how are they planning on enforcing that exactly?

e: as in if a visa expires next month, are they going to go around deporting people with newly expired visas? that doesn't seem feasible even without a pandemic from a manpower perspective alone!

They will use the threat of counting time spent in the country with an expired visa as being out of compliance so that they will deny future visas whenever they get around to that again. It's the sort of solution Trump would like, and that ICE would push. Also, don't underestimate how petty Homeland Security can be, nor how much manpower they have access to. ICE are the enforcers but Homeland Security is the part of the system doing the detective work. If you assume even modestly efficient detectives (and you accept that we have a public emboldened to report violators because they believe, wrongly or rightly, that it will open up a job for them) then it looks a whole lot more possible than if you're estimating outcomes based on the assumption that ICE agents are doing the work.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Alan Smithee posted:

N95 question: I have a 3M painters mask from years ago I never used. The expiration is 2015 but is it still effective at all?

That depends entirely on storage conditions. If it was kept in a temperature stable room, in the dark, in a sealed bag, it might be fine. In any case it's going to be helpful for catching the bigger particles, even if it's not up to N95 spec anymore.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

EL BROMANCE posted:

Don't know how to write this without being alarmist, but possible because if they get positive drug tests of employees they won't have to worry about unemployment come knocking.

That's just common sense.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

coronavirus posted:

Good article about the global costs that are mostly undiscussed in the west. Already rampant poverty and starvation is going to be ramped up dramatically. Our crises of having 50,000+++ mostly elderly people die in USA will be a small tragedy compared to the immense suffering that is occurring and will get worse in the developing world.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/21/global-hunger-could-be-next-big-impact-of-coronavirus-pandemic

https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2020/4/18/21212688/coronavirus-lockdowns-developing-world

The take-away from these articles isn't that the response is wrong. It is that poor people are vulnerable people and it only takes one disaster of any sort to royally gently caress them over. The novel part of this is that the disaster is happening to so many people at once.
The solution isn't to let a novel virus run rampant through the population, the solution is to build robust social safety net systems before you have a crisis that forces people to choose between starving or spreading a disease.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Fenarisk posted:

Can't trump force the meat workers back to work just like Reagan did with the airline workers? Honest question I don't know the answer to, especially since a strong union was involved in that incident as well.

Not having meat isn't a national emergency. People can live on other food.
People refusing to go to work because of health concerns isn't an economic strike that the Taft-Hartley Act can regulate anyway.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Andrast posted:

lmao people are going to revolt if they don't get their meat

They got plenty of reasons to revolt already. Good ones, even.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Rolo posted:

Do any projected shortages affect milk and eggs?

I can take or leave meat but losing those two would be a big hit to a lot of stuff I cook.

There's already hiccups in the milk supply chain. They've been throwing out milk because they couldn't ship it.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Mnoba posted:

i didn't vote for him, but since you like otherizing people allow me to retort. you're an online bully, and whatever satifaction you derive from playing online trump bad must really be filling a very large void because your posting is really bad.

In large part the only thing bigots respond to is being shamed and held in contempt. Treating them with contempt is the only tool most people have which they will react to.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Burt Sexual posted:

City's proclamation requiring face masks in stores and restaurants is amended after threats of violence https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/02/us/face-masks-stillwater-oklahoma-trnd/index.html

Nice to know that violence actually works to change things.
If you're white enough.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Xaintrailles posted:

Not sure how you could ever possibly doubt this?

There were two sentences in my post.
The second in the context of the first, in context of the very limited threatening behavior by some (admittedly assumed white) people described in the article, conveys a message about racism being depressingly alive and well. The amount of threatening and confrontational behavior referred to in the article would have gotten people of color arrested in many jurisdictions.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

pro starcraft loser posted:

So the chance the people 'estimating' and spreading these laughably pathetic projections will be held accountable is zero, right?

If you want something done right, do it yourself.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Louisgod posted:

I’m in Oregon, which has thankfully had very low numbers, but loving hell these people won’t learn poo poo until the bodies of their kids are sitting in their driveways, and even then, I don’t think they will.

Yeah, people like that don't care until the consequences are personal and undeniable. I sometimes wonder if it is because they come from a long line of beaten wives and sociopath fathers.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Shaocaholica posted:

I guess if I were a billionaire I would just pay/kidnap a bunch of recovered people and transfuse their blood.

You don't need all the blood. Just the antibody titer.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

A Grand Egg posted:

Funny how certain people and "politics" floods the thread at certain times.

Almost like they're posting on their lunch break or something.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Why would you go to Disney World anytime this year ever, let alone if you have chronic respiratory illnesses? :cripes:

Some people treat it like a religion.
What that says about modern approaches to religion is left as an exercise for the reader.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Only about 1/3rd of the country supports him. Hope this helps.

Historically you only need about a tenth of the population to support a rebellion or coup for it to be successful.
Hope this helps.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Your Shoes posted:

Chuds constantly making GBS threads their pants with poo poo posts because daddy didn't love them but Trump surely does, and the rest of us admiring the spectacular gently caress up of our toddler in chief leading us to record deaths!

Well how do you want to fix this problem you've identified?

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Blistex posted:

Saudi Arabia shuts down Mecca, and these idiots can't wait to drop a tenner in the collection plate. Gonna be a lot of old moms who picked up an extra special gift on Mother's Day.

Funny you should mention that... https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/05/17/butte-county-public-health-investigating-covid-19-exposure-at-church-service/

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

The 100k+ cruise passengers parked at sea are literally drifting aimlessly around the Bermuda triangle as we head into hurricane season.

That is crew. Passngers got repatriated from what I have read.
Crew were SOL though, in part because all these cruise ships fly their flag with the cheapest countries.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

I work in IT for a real estate firm and I'm being forced to go back to the office here in Ohio on Monday after working from home since early April. It sucks hard and I'm very unhappy and worried about it because I feel very safe in my controlled environment where I venture outside my apartment only to visit my girlfriend, hit up a grocery store once a week, and take regular walks. I really, really don't want to compromise that solely because some idiot Boomer executives want to project that we're WORKING HARD, THANK YOU to their rich friends and corporate buddies... but I'm paid very nicely for my services and I'd like to stay employed to pay for my rent and lifestyle. :sigh:

At least it's going to be only 2-3 days per week alternating between the office and at home, but there's absolutely nothing my company's work entails that requires an office for 98% of its workers besides keeping up business culture working so hard guys appearances.

They can't call you into the office if it's being fumigated for bed bugs.

Just sayin'.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

This is a fun little thing to watch, it shows Covid deaths vs other types of deaths from January to May.

https://public.flourish.studio/visualisation/2637725/?fbclid=IwAR3BqXKgx-eMi5mFEP2ALGV6r10tfNI3gWzoApyaGpDLcsTv7Xfbi1pB86k

coronavirus posted:

What does Maternal deaths mean on that chart? Death during childbirth? Or is this some catholic bullshit

Means deaths from complications related to childbirth, miscarriage, or abortion. It's a catch-all to account for the fact that women are much more vulnerable to health issues during a pregnancy and in the six weeks after one.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

sticksy posted:

Do viruses frequently mutate to be LESS harmful?

It's not unheard of. Mutations that reduce virulence but increase infectiousness are basically perfect for ensuring that strain is as successful as possible in reproducing.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Cacafuego posted:

I’m not saying the corporations would act differently. I’m saying that if they release the study data that doesn’t show the whole picture (which is possible) and should the FDA’s response be lacking (which is likely) that the thousands of people involved that (and this is the important part here) don’t work for the pharma companies and don’t get any kind of incentive for the vaccine to be approved will speak up, whether it be to the press, on social media, whatever.

Perhaps I’ve not explained myself well. I’m not saying to trust the FDA. I’m not saying to trust pharma. I am saying that if the pharma company tries to pull a fast one and if the FDA is doing a lovely job, there will be people who have no stake in it that will speak up to someone and that these people will likely be medical professionals. Yes, there will also likely be adverse drug reactions when millions/billions are exposed to a new vaccine. Whether that’s related to the vaccine itself or the packaging, both are possible. Also, yes, temperature excursions happen frequently and those may alter the effects of the vaccine.

I’m done talking, ridicule me all you want for thinking that people who don’t work for the pharma company, don’t get any kind of monetary benefit from an approved vaccine and are aware of issues with it would speak up about it and willfully allow people to be harmed/killed for no reason at all.

I give no fucks whether the vaccine I’m working on gets approved, I don’t benefit whether it does or doesn’t, but I’ll contact whoever will listen to me to tell them about potentially dangerous issues if I don’t see them published.

Devil's advocate argument here:

But they do have incentives. Harassment by a company trying to keep whistle blowers suppressed is a very old story now and happens frequently because the consequences for tampering with whistleblowers are not generally severe enough. Losing access to the entire profession is another consequence that really happens. Managers will find other contractors to use, build elaborate bodies of falsified data, lose reports, use NDAs abusively, and even frame third parties to ensure that what "needs" to happen, happens.

A surprising number of people are basically worthless when it comes to doing the right and moral thing. They prefer to just collect their pay, do the minimum at work, and let the consequences be someone else's problem.

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Aug 4, 2020

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

naem posted:

how incredibly morally wrong is it that I quietly hope to find affordable housing, even real estate, in the next year or two thanks to this

It isn't morally wrong in the least. You didn't encourage people to take out mortgages they could barely afford, or to rely on renters to pay the mortgage for the very property they are renting out. You didn't make loans available to people who were not safe prospects. You didn't create the economic poo poo-show we're now in the start of. You didn't do anything.

Everyone can see the writing on the wall regarding the housing bubble deflating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Can someone explain why this one is problematic to me? Because I mean, if you're literally not profiting off people who want to rent your home, I'm lost as to why that's bad. You're basically taking all the responsibility of home ownership on yourself while they just pay for the basic mortgage. You're still liable for repairs and everything; they aren't.

E: I'm not being snappy, I just honestly don't understand. Is the goal to do away with renting? Because some folks seem to want to rent rather than buy because of repairs and stuff like that? I really want to understand this.

Jeza covered the important part, so I'm going to add that if you don't have multiple income sources or savings that can cover the cost of the mortgage payment for the period of time it takes to recover you are literally one disaster away from your own position being affected by the renter's position. You must at a minimum maintain enough savings to cover the amount of time and expense it would take to evict a renter. Many landlords fail to do this.