Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

NihilismNow posted:

I wonder if there's really "only" 1000 infected in Italy. In the Netherlands now three different people have returned infected from Italy over the past few days. It seems unlikely that they all interacted with the same small group of people with the disease. The real number has to be at least a order of magnitude higher.

4 people have given positive in my country after they returned from Italy. According to the news there was this conference or something, it was work related. During the conference they went to greet this unnamed by the press Italian guy, who had been already infected. Two of them showed symptoms a day after arrival, the other like a couple of days later. Hooray.

Ah, yeah. One of them owns a restaurant/food stand in Mexico City. The number of probably infected people jumped from 22 to 400.

Edit: I think it was TWO guys that went to Italy, they infected their relatives and friends. From that group only other 2 showed symptoms.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

12 reported cases in Mexico. Those 5 new ones were found out all today. All of them people who traveled to Spain, Italy and the USA. And it seems whole dance studio crew who were on a tour through Italy this week got thrown in quarantine as soon as they got out of their plane lol

It was funny reading the wikipedia saying 9 cases, a second later edited to 11, going to a newspaper's page clicking on the "11 CONFIRMED CASES!" link and seeing that they had quickly updated the headline to 12.

Ha. ha. Ha.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

unpacked robinhood posted:

Anyone excited to see what happens in Mexico which seem to have picked the absolute worst strat ?

It's already killing the ones who had diabetes (and/or were fat and/or smokers). And considering that for a while we were #1 worldwide in obesity it's gonna swept a large portion of that population. I just hope my tiny backwater-ish southern state manages to keep the numbers low.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

News from Latin-america and I don't even know if ya'll care.

Guayaquil, Ecuador is currently an absolute movie disaster mess. The virus hit hard, the hospitals are out of beds so they are not admitting more sick people and are sending them back home (or allowing them in after their family protests and just letting them die). People are dying in their homes or while waiting to be admitted in a hospital. Just there, in the street. The problem is that no one is coming to pick up the bodies. Not even if it was a natural death. Ambulances are not coming, private funerary services are collapsing. So people are desperate and are either supposedly burning their dead in the middle of the street or pulling them out and keeping them in their doorsteps. Some people have been waiting up to 5 days to have their love ones' bodies removed.

There are videos, but the majority are quite :nms: so I don't think is a very good idea to post them here. Some say they are fake, but...man, knowing how this virus works and how we humans just break in situations like this, I can believe it.

poo poo's bad.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Pick posted:

I didn't know you posted any more! good to hear from you. Uh, wish it was under better circumstances.

I'm usually in the Blizzard/wow subforum being a nerd, or trying not to get an anxiety attack.

And yes, they are not testing enough in Ecuador. People say the numbers should be crazy large considering how fast all collapsed (having a terrible health system had a part on it too)

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

News articles about Guayaquil, Ecuador. They majority of the stuff you can find are in Spanish as networks in the USA or UK are barely touching the subject.

(In Spanish)
https://www.eluniversal.com.mx/mundo/por-piedad-llevense-los-cuerpos

(English)
:nms: for the videos that have been circulating.
https://www.telesurenglish.net/news/Ecuador-Guayaquil-Faces-Drama-Due-to-Non-Buried-COVID-19-Dead-20200401-0009.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/04/03/ecuador-coronavirus-bodies/

And yes, the person who brought the virus was a lady that came back from Spain. :(
This is probably the type of poo poo we are gonna see in places like India once everything collapses. I fear my country is heading that way, specially if it hits poor/indigenous/immigrant communities.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Also she spotted a bunch of people wearing cheap surgical masks over their mouths but not their noses.

I think this is universal, I guess a lot of people feel as they can't breath and uncover their noses.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Hey guys, I just wanna say I hate people in my country -not boomers for everyone's surprise- who believe the coronavirus is fake news, a made up trick to control them and that using masks is useless while you are healthy while forgetting that you can catch that poo poo and not show symptoms for a while.

Oh yeah, it's also party time and they want to gather in beaches and drink beer because all the malls were closed down and the government is evil for trying to keep them alive.

I so loving angry because these assholes are gonna get sick and occupy a bed in a hospital and kill the health system. gently caress.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

stab posted:

Dont forget theyre also going to infect people who took the right precautions and theyre going to die for it

This is the infuriating part.

We already had idiots who knew they were sick and still decided to be social butterflies and visit friends, go to night clubs and so on because "~*it's just a flu*~"

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Burt Sexual posted:

I can’t remember, how did h1n1 and sars go away ? Seems it wasn’t nearly as nasty I guess

I learned that H1N1 is still present in certain parts of my country and lots of folk die from it. By the time COVID-19 was starting to come here, the H1N1 was rolling around, along with measles (currently going strong), dengue(the rain season is over, so it might just go away by itself in the next months) and tuberculosis.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Famethrowa posted:

pretty good walk-through of a wet-market with a insightful comment from a dude who lives there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whbyuy2nHBg

it's pretty clearly not great, but, it's not the nightmare world some people like to pretend. I'd go here over factory farmed pork, frankly :shrug:

Mexican markets are not that different, yet I see a lot of Mexicans being xenophobic idiots parroting the same Fox bullshit.

Fish market? Fish and other sea creatures all around! Oh yeah, they sell you live crabs and kill them right there in front of you. It's...kinda gruesome, but they taste good.

Regular marker? Be ready for seeing pig heads hanging from a hook while you are being offered pork meat. (I dunno if it's still a common practice, but it's something I saw a lot during my childhood). Chickens are still displayed in all their gory glory to costumers. Where I live people also consume animals that would be considered "exotic": iguanas, turtles, rain-forest mammals -raccoons included-. Heck, there's a northern state that has rat soup and people eat it as a remedy against the common flu. And the old urban legend of taco vendors using dog and cat meat.

And there's of course, the people selling meat from stolen cows. (Little side talk, a friend of my sister's actually died from liver failure after consuming fresh cheese that was contaminated with certain bacteria. :gonk::gonk: My family is very weary of buying cheese from street vendors/market vendors).

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

nullEntityRNG posted:

Its a weird thing because I would like this to be a miracle drug that helps lower the fatality rate but I'm also worried that in the rush to use this drug might put more people at risk because:
- It may promote another mad rush to procure supplies
- The side effects of the medicine may do more damage overall to the populous
- More people will get less cautious as they consider it a cure.

I feel like were playing this weird game with ignorance itself. We all see people disregarding the rules or deeming it a hoax, but how many people out there are thinking like that? How much is that the risk for everyone else trying to play by the rules?

People in my country are already hoarding any meds with the components that have been all over the news, thinking is gonna cure them. Sadly is affecting the population with arthritis. They hoarded medicine for arthritis. :(
The same happened with vitamin c. Someone somewhere said it would help you not get the virus and now there's nothing in the drugstores.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

pizza combos posted:

Where is your country?

Mexico. For some bizarre reason some people over here are listening to some dumbfuck* on social media or Trump, or whatever. Oh, yes, nurses and medics are being attacked on the streets because some people believe they have all the virus. And some assholes are threatening with /trying to burn down hospitals that will be used for the sick. Yay you dumb idiots.

*There's this very popular youtuber my mom used to listen to. He was on the anti-vaxxer/conspiracy theory side, who thought people were racist to him for being blue eyed and white. I wouldn't be surprised if he is the rear end in a top hat spreading all the idiotic misinformation.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Apr 7, 2020

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Bleusilences posted:

Even if they might have it what is the logic in attacking them, they trying to save lives....

We don't know! Everyone is baffled! Like, it's the biggest what in the gently caress :psyduck:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

pizza combos posted:

Stay home if you can. It's a waiting game and numbers are going down.

I've been in my home for two weeks, my workplace closed down but we are still getting paid, thankfully :v:
In the numbers going down case.....HAAHAHA AAAHHHH....my state is rapidly climbing up the charts. There's a lot of not giving a poo poo, politics and corruption behind the spread of the virus.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Faffel posted:

Oh yeah it's gonna be a bad pandemic filmpocalypse once they start making them again.

e: whoa i was way back in time. gently caress it.

I'm ready for the new 20 contagion movies and documentaries that will come once this is -hopefully- over.

In pandemia news, I developed this bad sore throat during the night, threw up for what it felt an hour this morning. What does yellow/orange-ish puke means when you got nothing else in your stomach? No fever, I just feel like poo poo and I'm not hungry, just weak and mom's telling me to stay chill and don't stress myself thinking it's the drat roni. Wearing a face mask just in case...

I think I passed out once I was done puking, I mean...I got chills, looked pale and was sweating so bad. like I went to bed and I was gone to dreamland quickly.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Plastik posted:

It means your stomach is empty and you're vomiting bile. Not necessarily a great thing, but puking your guts out is not a common symptom of the Covid.

Thanks, that was a quite a bad morning. Hope it is nothing bad.

Thankfully I might not die :zombie:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

congratulations you're pregnant

lol that's not what passing out even is c'mon man

IT'S A MIRACLE!!! I've been single/no partner for like 5 years gently caress ton of years, I lost count lmao

I knooow, I don't even know what's the word to describe it in English, I was pale, with chills, I couldn't hear from my left ear I was feeling this deep weird need to sleep.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 7, 2020

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Earwicker posted:

the only time that happened to me it was from food poisoning. i was in italy and ate a steak that was basically raw because i thought it was normal there. maybe it is, and it tasted great, but the next day it made me extremely sick and after i puked up all the actual food i kept puking up some kind of orange goo for the next week even though i couldnt eat anything at all. it sucked. did you eat a raw steak or anything else sketchy recently?

My sister baked pigs in a blanket last night, I had the last one for breakfast today because I'm a goon. :ohdear:
I'm currently feeling "good" and finally slightly feeling hungry.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Hey guys, remember that I puked my guts out?
I didn't get better. The doctor thinks it might be dengue. Waiting for the lab results... :negative:

This is the last thing I expected to happen in the middle of a pandemic...

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Oh sure. You had to be cool and start your own competing plague

I'm sorry but the dengue outbreak has been around longer than Covid-19. Up your game you dumb virus :nyd:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

dwarf74 posted:

So, is all this social distancing also going to do a number on flu, cold, etc.?

I've got to imagine it'll have knock on effects for other diseases, right?

I still got chikungunya. ( it wasn't dengue). :shrug:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

goethe.cx posted:

still, i bet if people are staying indoors that'll reduce mosquito-borne illnesses too

Yeah, someone was careless and left a window or door open at my home during the night. It only takes one stupid mosquito to get something like that.

I ended up going to ER in a private clinic. You could notice all the doctors and nurses were dead nervous about if the next patient will have covid-19. I ended up in an isolated room until I got my checked, they were actually relieved once they realized my illness.

It's also the second time i get this poo poo. Talk about bad luck. :smith:

*it's 4 am and i just woke up for taking my meds. Grammar might be poo poo, sorry.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Anyone else really bored by covid 19?

Nah, is getting end of the world like in my part of the world.

For example, we have this drugstores with free medical service. The doctore from that store died. He was infected by a clerk from the drugstore who is now in a hospital. The doctor had taken 63 patients before taking a quarantine. The drugstore closed down and all the other probably sick employees were relocated to random stores...because money, gently caress people.

Hooray.

Just search Farmacias del Ahorro in Tabasco for any curious Mexigoon.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

And health isn't just one thing. Malnutrition is bad, but so is obesity. Anecdotes indicate that the majority of people who need intubation have obesity. Having less than 10% of your population obese is probably helpful, which doesn't happen in many rich countries.

I need to check the data, but it seems a lot of the ones that have died in mt country were around 30-40 yeats old, mostly because they were obese and diabetic. I think some didnt even know they were sick until they got the roni.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I'm laughing my rear end off at this. Oh my god, your president DOES have brain worms.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

you guys seriously thought people were making this poo poo up for the last 3+ years or what?

Like everyone bitching about Trump was just full of poo poo, and saying "Hey this dude's really fuckin dumb and dangerously so look out" was teasing, or you didn't care that whole time or that was too boring, or what?
(Not you personally, I think you're from a different country so that part I get, but for anyone else just now tuning in and going "Well golly...", uh yeah, no poo poo Sherlock)

Oh, i could tell he is dumb and just a political puppet.That's mexican politics 101 so it was easy to tell.

The thing is that he has gone full idiot. This is more idiotic than looking straight at an eclipse. :lol:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Gianthogweed posted:

He was talking about intravenous light therapy.
https://www.bridgewayinstitute.net/uvlrx-intravenous-light-therapy/

But of course everyone's amplifying and spreading the misinformation they thought he said, not what was actually said. Stop doing this please. You're doing more harm than good and it actually works in Trump's favor.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brittmariehermes/2016/09/26/uvlrx-therapy-charlatans-medical-devices/#442c1a732c5d

quote:

The founder of UVLrx Therapeutics, Michael Harter, has also mischaracterized himself. Prior to becoming the “visionary CEO” of UVLrx, Harter’s most recent business venture was Rock the Mike Productions, described as “a full-service advertising agency” on a website that conveys deep bewilderment.

Harter does not appear to have any experience with medical devices but does boast about decades of experience in automotive retail sales.

quote:

What is true, however, is that ultraviolet light damages the DNA of healthy cells. Dr. David Palma, M.D., a clinical scientist and radiation oncologist at the Ontario Institute for Cancer Research, stressed that “it seems unwise to start delivering something directly into the bloodstream that is known to cause cancer.”

:lol:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

People in my country has done some really stupid poo poo (that you can see on the mestizone thread and any other news media) but hahahaha you guys are the worst.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Facebook Aunt posted:

LOL at people who can't endure isolation sitting on their couch watching TV for a few weeks. Nooo, I must go to the clubs! We are the weakest piss baby generations.

My country has had cases of people who KNEW they were infected and still went clubbing and socializing, and having parties and what not, because god forbid they stay at home for two weeks. :sadlol:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I looked up Lucifer telescope and... its just a really big telescope? Its not even named that anymore

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

No you see the CATHOLIC CHURCH has been using their secret telescope to TALK TO ALIENS but they're keeping it secret from the world!
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/LUCIFER_telescope

I'm not sure how this is related to coronavirus

That's disappointing.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Xenocides posted:

In Iran the government hoarded tests and medical resources for their own use. They also refused to shut down religious sites claiming the whole situation was created by Trump to disrupt their elections and weaken their faith in Islam. They are even mirroring Trump's miracle cures. A prominent cleric announced that violet leaf oil applied to the rear end cures the disease. An expert in Islamic medicine recommended drinking camel urine. The government is losing control as local communities defy public orders and are even retooling some of their own factories to make medical supplies. Women have been seen showing contempt for the restrictive laws on public dress. Doctors were ordered to understate case numbers.

The other day my mom was watching a video of an Ecuadorian chemist telling people to drink a mix of hot boiling water, bleach, vinegar, lemon and sodium bicarbonate to "cure" the disease.

And this is Israelite lady that claimed she cured her cancer with the magic of will power. So you can also beat covid-19 just by believing really really hard that you are healthy!!!

Also, someone saying doctors are killing patients to scare people off because no one is really sick!

She's on the verge of digging a bunker on our backyard, I swear.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Blistex posted:

1. Close non-essential places that this spreads.
2. Stop mass gatherings that allows this to spread.
3. Wear masks to do everything possible to prevent this from spreading.
4. Test, test, test, so that you can trace contacts and prevent it from continuing to spread.

In the city I live (not in the U.S.A. soon to be Land of the Corona) we are applying something similar. Minus the testing a lot. But people are stubborn and still want to go out and sit on a park or making illegal parties and what not. The governor and mayor, lots of politicians, are considering locking up in quarantine each neighborhood individually, specially the barrios that are full to the brim with infected families. Some people are ok, a few are getting angry, a lot other don't give a poo poo. I'm still placing my bets on the National Guard and Military taking control and forcing everyone to stay the gently caress home.

It's gonna be a huge mess.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

So it seems one of my cousins caught it. It's worrisome because he is obese and a heavy drinker. So far the symptoms seem to be mild.

He works for an oil company here in Mexico and there are rumors that everyone in the fields and platforms is getting sick.

drat.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Burt Sexual posted:

Wtf Brazil

15 min ago
Brazil sets record with nearly 20,000 new coronavirus cases in a 24-hour period
From CNN's Shasta Darlington and Mitchell McCluskey
Brazil set a record high for new coronavirus cases within 24 hours, the country's Health Ministry announced on Wednesday.

Brazil reported 19,951 new cases in the last 24 hours, bringing the total to 291,579 confirmed cases.

This new surge tops the previous record set on Tuesday.

Deaths caused by coronavirus increased by 888, bringing to the country's total to 18,859, the ministry said.

:stare:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

I’m not even Mexican and I want to school these euros making a mockery or tacos and burritos

Everything I hear about Mexican food there is always dire

I'm Mexican and everything I hear about our cuisine outside the country or at the hands of foreigners IS dire. Even high top famous chefs end up making lovely Mexican food. Geez.

:toot: Aw, you guys, still number one.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Greatest Living Man posted:

what the...

i mean it's not that much better than Sausalito's in Germany

What the gently caress? who vomited on those quesadillas??

There Bias Two posted:

Is that a cuban sandwich?

They look like the plus sized version of the tortas they used to sell behind a downtown church here in my mexi-city. They were rad.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

I was just wondering when the first infected from this whole thing would start to come out.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

If I told you what to drink Burt would ramp my rear end

The president does it and they keep letting him be president

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1266927427575521280?s=21

Here we are having an ongoing dengue outbreak. Weeks ago the local government stopped all work to contain dengue and diverted the personal and money to fight covid-19...which is currently going rampant.

A couple of days ago it started to rain heavily and it's gonna keep going for another three or so days, that means more mosquitos and more danger of dengue. poo poo's gonna be terrible everywhere once the sick of both illness start accumulating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I just read Mexico had the highest fatality rate for Covid, or maybe it was something else (highest lethality in Latin America?)

We got the very very bad strain of Coronavirus (first cases were people who went on vacation/were studying in Italy) and then we got a bad case of young adults with diabetes, obesity and blood pressure issues. I read somewhere that doctors are actually a bit surprised that the elderly are not dropping like flies as they were expecting. My state is like on 4th-3rd place on fatality rates...which is worrisome because it's a small state and doesn't have a high population density. BUT people doesn't give a poo poo and they are going out anyways*. :negative:

*And NO it's not the people in need I'm talking about. It's high and middle class folks that decided to have parties, and go out because they are SOOO BORED and they are convinced jogging and going out to the supermarket daily won't affect them. Then there's the disinformation, and people thinking the pandemic is over, that's all fake news and gently caress this world...

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 3, 2020