Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Watching "The Hot Zone" from this past summer, its pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Everyone who hasn't had their summer internship that they've been looking forward to for over year - and thus a way to pay for grad school - cancelled, take 2 steps forward.

Not so fast, me

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
If you get pulled over in the next 60 days, when the cop comes up to your car, don't roll down the window but hold a piece of paper that says "I have the roņa" up against the glass

:getin:

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Z the IVth posted:

If you cough on an officer during a stop does it count as assault with a deadly weapon?

They will def. charge you with that if you know you have HIV

e: Well, spitting if not coughing. Or probably j.o.'ing also

whose tuggin fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Mar 18, 2020

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
In the past I've been intubated when I was undegoing general aneshtesia, it was at a teaching hospital and afterward I felt like I had just felated a wire brush

My question is, when I begin to die of canola virus, can I be placed into an iron lung instead of being intubated?

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I'll be the first to say it, Turmp fuckin up a little bit

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
World is a gently caress

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

mike12345 posted:

I'm feeling gay

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Can you get cornea virus from eating a miniature m&m that was dropped on the floor?

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
protip: if you install the nosript addon for firefox/chrome https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/noscript/ and block the NY Times/WashPo javascript scripts, you can read articles for free.
Note that noscript will blacklist every javascript script on every website you visit by default, so you have to manually white list everything. (Noscript also blocks ads on hulu)

If you don't feel like messing with addons, you can go to the url of an article, and in Firefox hit ctrl+shift+e to open the Network panel which displays every script and file that your browser loads for a webpage, then navigate to an article on washpo or nyt, and click the article's main html page and view the article in the Response panel to the right:

https://i.imgur.com/a/b949z1Z

whose tuggin fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 27, 2020

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
https://5demands.global/

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
People are already beginning to starve in India, and many don't have clean water in their apartments, and previously relied on water delivery which is now banned by their lockdown. There are 1.3 Billion people in India.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/world/asia/coronavirus-india-lockdown.html

https://www.pri.org/file/2020-04-01/covid-19-triggers-mass-migration-india

Even if you don't "subscribe" to the NY Times' reporting (so to speak) and/or NPR, you would probably agree that a humanitarian crisis is imminent or already taking place in India. Its got me pretty worried :smith:

I found this charity that has a good rating (on Charity Navigator, which is another website I had previously never heard of, so whatever that's worth) and that appears to distribute funds globally.I can't actually vouch for it in any way so ... I am in the market for reputable Charities that go directly to India if anyone knows of any.

https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/coronavirus-relief-fund/

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Which color bandana over you mouth and nose means that you are a power bottom again?

Because I cannot afford to make that mistake for a 5th time

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

This is a moot point, as the Coronavirus is obviously extremely severe, but I'm deeply suspicious of NYC's crime occurrence statistics

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_New_York_City#Murders_by_year posted:

1990 2245 (highest)
2018 289 (lowest since 1949)

I'm supposed to believe that murders in 2018 were 12% of what they were in 1990 (the highest year on record)?

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

LimburgLimbo posted:

Crime is overall way, way down throughout the country compared to the recent past, but people often think it's much higher because of more information access and sensationalism skewing subjectivity.

It's a silly argument for me to make, and I refuse to be one of those people that demands to be right about everything. My point is just that making such arbitrary comparisons is unnecessarily dramatic. All media is quickly devolving into what activates the arousal mechanisms of our brains the most. We are like 1 month away from people stripping naked and walking town to town flagellating themselves to stop the virus

Don't need to constantly psyche ourselves our with all sorts of weird statistical comparisons that don't really contribute to outcomes in any way

Like what if I was like "hey coronavirus deaths in one 24 hour period exceeded annual murders in the 51st most homicidal city in the country by rate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_crime_rate Is that not an equally valid statistic?

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah that would be a very stupid thing to do, but thankfully that's not anything like what actually happened

So would you agree that my statistic the one that was tweeted are both accurate, but one gets a more visceral reaction than the other? And would you dispute that that implies that certain statisctcs more dramatic than others? WOuld you argue with the notion that some such statisticsget rewteeted or shared for precisely this reason?

Also I don't think that choosing not to share such stuff constitutes providing couterfactural data

Note that I'm not downplaying the mortality rates, not that your were accusing me of that, just want eit to be known

edit: you or anyonce can ignore me if you want to. just wanted to have a chill conversation, not jamming anybidy up here

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I bought a dehydrator because I was getting a little :tinfoil: about the availability of fruit and veggies in the coming months and its turned out to be kind of a fun little diversion. I make dehydrated mango and mix it into a glass of diet gingerale, this is as bougie as its gonna get for the next 6 months at best.

Hope everybody is doing good. My sister is supposed to get induced to go into labor tomorrow down in Fl, she is worried about being around people with canola

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Check out this presagious series of post in the Gif thread from Feb 2019:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3867897&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=51#post492598150

spoocky

presagious might not be a word

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Think about how crazy this poo poo is gonna get in the US when they start opening stuff back up. Every company in the world is basically gonna have to take a political stance. If they open the exact day a repub governor lifts the lockdown, they republican. If they wait, they're dem.

If people collectivize about when they wanna come back, they will have a lot of power. In some places this will inevitably mean coming back sooner, in other places, waiting longer.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Lodin posted:

Good news, today is International Bat Appreciation Day. I say we for at least one day stop eating bats.

Yes mein fuhrer

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
As an newly graduated engineer heading into the worst job market this millennium, the only thing relevant that I have to say is that I think the infection rate constitutes an underdamped control system

Thank you for reading my thesis

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Also I think that if we reopen too early and cases spike, it will be a worse net effect on the economy/in general than if we had just quarantined slightly longer in the first place. Not sure why no one is hyping this talking point

I feel like the "liberate michigan etc" bros are getting a disproportionate amount of airtime because they are the only ones willing to leave their houses to protest

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
BORN TO DIE
WORLD IS A gently caress
Kill Em All 1989
I am trash man
410,757,864,530 Dead Right To Work'ers

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

This. This is what will make Americans take Covid seriously; it makes you lose all your gains

https://nypost.com/2020/05/20/coronavirus-survivor-shares-shocking-photo-of-his-body-in-hospital/

Poor guy. Now he looks like a normal person.

e: just for the record I'm not saying this guy hasn't been through hell. Just that what seems to matter here is the "shocking body transformation". No poo poo, when you are bedridden you lose weight. What really matters here is that he's lucky to be alive. He would look even more shocking if he was a skeleton

This is what happens when you stop taking steroids, you get a rebound syndrome like this

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

I feel that these monkeys earned these samples, through the sweat of their brow. They're theirs now. The free market rewarded their hustle and they get to keep them.

If we're talking Sea law - which, please, let's talk Sea Law - the lab assistant abandoned the samples when attacked by the monkeys and they became a derelict at which point the monkeys [i]salvaged/i] them

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
My state (SC) has officially stopped reporting data to the JHU Dashboard.

Would anyone know where I can get state-level breakdowns of new cases by day?

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Thank's Hazo, this is what I was looking for. I also finally found a resource that gives an 8-day moving average of new cases, which I've been looking for for a while. Its an ABC affiliate out of Conway, SC but I almost didn't wanna post it bc they don't specify where they get their data. But its up-to-date at least.

https://wpde.com/news/coronavirus/interactive-watching-the-coronavirus-curve
https://wpde.com/news/coronavirus/interactive-map-tracking-coronavirus-cases-in-and-around-south-carolina

:catstare:

Very much not looking forward to the people attributing the increase in cases that we're likely to see in the US to the protests and completely dismissing the affects of widespread indifference toward continued social distancing

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

compshateme85 posted:

Where can you find information about which states have stopped reporting?

That's a toughie. Where do you find information about places that are actively suppressing information? (sincere)

For SC's part, our Department of Health and Environmental Control (where I think JHU was pulling information) is still live and showing data. In fact, its showing that yesterday was the 2nd highest number of reported cases for SC since the outbreak started. So while SC continues to gently caress up the CV response and the people continue to be largely indifferent about social distancing, reporting the 2nd highest number of new cases implies that the aren't suppressing reporting here, at least not completely.

So its probably just a tech issue with the JHU dashboard. I'm willing to believe that they are loving with the numbers but I would wanna see some evidence before I believed it. So yeah, good question

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Take this with a huge grain of salt (I haven't done a ton of reading on it, and I'm not really qualified in the first place) but it appears that there could be some benefit from N-Acetyl-Cystein

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-1018/n-acetyl-cysteine-nac# posted:

Uses ->
Complete or partial lung collapse (atelectasis). N-acetyl cysteine helps treat collapsed lungs caused by mucus blockage.

Lung tests. N-acetyl cysteine is helpful when used to prepare people for diagnostic lung tests.

Care of people with a tube placed in their windpipe (tracheostomy care). N-acetyl cysteine helps prevent crusting in people with a tube in their windpipe.

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03346681
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04374461

Still being studied and of course there's been no conclusive study completed

Its OTC as well

edit2: It pays to be really skeptical of this stuff, I almost didn't wanna post it

whose tuggin fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 12, 2020

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Vim Fuego posted:

it's basically down to individual outlook, but federal govt policy is now that no effort should be made to slow or stop the spread.

This is accurate but doesn't go too far enough in that the fed is using all its resourcefulness and tribalism to downplay the threat posed by the virus in favor stemming the tide on the economy. For example Trump tweeted another empty threat to defund his own CDC because their policy was that schools should open very carefully in the fall. Also there have been rumors in the NYT and WashPo among others that they've adopted a campaign to discredit Fauci. Who was always gonna get fired and is a Trump sycophant but who many people believe did right by the country.

No republican governor dare oppose the stance the federal government has taken

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
For anyone who's had C19, did a doc prescribe anything for cough? Was it helpful?

I know that they came out with those "pearl" capsules that you get by RX, I can't remember what they're called. I remember hearing some people say that they're even better than tussionex with hydrocodone.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Dong Quixote posted:

Are you think of Tessalon Perles?

Yes this is what I was thinking of. I wonder if this and/or tussinex are indicated considering covid is notorious for dry, unproductive cough.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Random reminder that flipping a person in acute respiratory distress syndrome onto their stomach can help them breathe

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/14/health/coronavirus-prone-positioning/index.html

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I am having symptoms and found out literally yesterday that my lease won't be renewed and I will have to move out on Friday and have no idea what to do. I was told by a dr that I am presumed-positive so I wonder how I am supposed to handle moving my stuff into a storage unit without becoming a superspreader.

I would be like "hey since you gave me 4 days notice, you're gonna have to evict me" but I'm worried that I won't be able to rent a new appt if that's on my record. Pretty sure that there is no ban on evictions in my southern hellhole state (SC).

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Blitter posted:

Watch now, as the r0 rises due to the lack of tenant protections, coupled with the FYGM attitude that in part is caused by a lacking social safety net!?

I mean, gently caress that landlord but also holy poo poo, trying to infect people in the middle of an out of control pandemic seems like a terrible idea..

Let me clarify, I feel I might have omitted some stuff:

This is student housing. There are 3 of us that signed indv'l lease last Aug. Prop. management company is trying to get us 3 to renew by signing a global 4-person lease for the whole unit. Since there are in fact only 3 tenants, this'd make our rents go up from $375 to $500. We got 4 days notice about this. And I was told that I'm presumed positive, and have symptoms including now a secondary ear infection.

Anyway I don't wanna derail this thread too hard, but there are actually some federal eviction restrictions still in place in the US until mid August. Unfortunately, these only apply to properties that are mortgaged with a federally-back loan, and certain federally-subsidized housing. Also, the eviction reason has to be non-payment. Whereas we are not not-paying, we're just not renewing (on a lease with terrible terms that we only found out about yesterday).

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I saw something today that I had not seen before throughout the course of the whole epidemic.

I was in CVS and the city has a mask ordinance in effect, so redneck man and young son had their shirts pulled up over their noses

The height of class

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
They had t-shirts up over their noses like you would if you were in middle school and you smelled a bad smell

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Today was move-in day at my Uni in the S.E. US. We've been online-only for 1 month and are scheduled to return to classes at least part time a week from tomorrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlDEzmSff3M&t=3s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
My biggest fear about the covid vaccine is that its going to hurt when they inject it into my penis